ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1998 RocknRose
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger Talks Turkey, Disses Atlantic Founder's Family Return to archive
2nd January 2007 09:18 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Jagger Talks Turkey, Disses Atlantic Founder's Family
Jan 2,2006
radaronline.com

Friends of late Ahmet Ertegun are wishing Mick Jagger's heart were half as big as his ego or, say, his lips. They're aflutter about an act of shocking selfishness on the part of the Stones frontman with whom the Atlantic Records founder Ertegun shared a lot of history. Ertegun, who died Dec. 15, personally convinced Jagger to sign with Atlantic in the late '60s, and it was at a Stones concert in Manhattan that Ertegun fell down a set of stairs and sustained the head injury that put him in a terminal coma.

For Ertegun's burial, Warner Music Group loaned his widow, Mica, a corporate jet to fly the body, along with some family and friends, from New York to Turkey, Ertegun's birthplace. The plane made a stop in London to refuel and pick up additional mourners. According to an Ertegun family friend, Jagger was supposed to board there, but failed to turn up—without explanation. An Atlantic spokesman denies that Jagger was ever scheduled to board, but the friend insists he was, noting that Mica Ertegun was visibily distraught by Jagger's no-show. "That was the height of disrepect," he adds.

A high-level music executive who worked with Ertegun says he was not surprised by Jagger's actions: "That's talent for you. They only care about themselves."

By Jeff Bercovici 01/02/07 4:49 PM
File Under: Ahmet Ertegun, Mick Jagger

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
2nd January 2007 09:33 PM
mrhipfl maybe he didn't get the memo?
2nd January 2007 11:13 PM
The Wick What a big shock. The Stones not giving a toss about anybody but themselves.
3rd January 2007 12:12 AM
pdog How many of them attended Jagger's fathers funeral?
That's what I thought!!!
3rd January 2007 12:23 AM
The Wick
quote:
pdog wrote:
How many of them attended Jagger's fathers funeral?
That's what I thought!!!

Why should Ertegun's family attend old Joe Jagger's funeral? He probably didn't have any contact with a single one of them, while Ahmet Ertegun was huge for their career and ALWAYS spoke incredibly highly of the Stones.
3rd January 2007 12:34 AM
pdog
quote:
The Wick wrote:

Why should Ertegun's family attend old Joe Jagger's funeral? He probably didn't have any contact with a single one of them, while Ahmet Ertegun was huge for their career and ALWAYS spoke incredibly highly of the Stones.

That wasn't meant to be taken seriously, it was sarcasm. I've no idea why Jagger didn't go... His dad just died, maybe he didn't feel like another funeral, that's good enough for me...
Publicly slagging him weeks after his dad died, is fucking lame! Lamer than what they're accusing him of.
3rd January 2007 06:30 AM
corgi37 Thats crap pdog. Jagger's dad was very much alive when Billy Preston's funeral was on. Why wasnt he there? Why were'nt any of them? I mean, even Bill fucking Wyman? What was he doing at the time? I guess Jagger truly aint flinging his tears out on the burial ground.

3rd January 2007 06:39 AM
Jumping Jack Anybody remember Brian Jones?
3rd January 2007 07:14 AM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves Stu was the only one they all showed up for
3rd January 2007 07:31 AM
glencar I agree with pdog. Let's cut Mick some slack.
3rd January 2007 01:01 PM
gimmekeef Half these stories are fiction...and the rest are bullshit..
3rd January 2007 01:27 PM
Lavendar Ya KNOW, there has been an extra-ordinary amount of deaths this past year.
With more too come...
Some become caught up in funerals.
frown
3rd January 2007 02:45 PM
texile
quote:
The Wick wrote:
What a big shock. The Stones not giving a toss about anybody but themselves.

yeah, i'm still dissapointed jagger didn't make it to billy's funeral service or at least some kind of tribute..
the stones are so out of the loop in human relations it's crazy.
3rd January 2007 06:44 PM
BILL PERKS FUNERALS ARE OVERRATED
3rd January 2007 07:50 PM
pdog
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Thats crap pdog. Jagger's dad was very much alive when Billy Preston's funeral was on. Why wasnt he there? Why were'nt any of them? I mean, even Bill fucking Wyman? What was he doing at the time? I guess Jagger truly aint flinging his tears out on the burial ground.

They all went to Chuch's funeral, maybe it was b/c they worked with the guy closely and more recently. They even gpt up and played... You really can only go to so many funerals a year!
And the missing piece of info, we have no idea what the personal relationships were like... And then take into acct. how many people around them die, since their circles are huge, and consider that funerals suck, and aren't the best way to honor someones life. And there's the one thing we do know, they're millionaire asshole rock stars...
Blasting Jagger in the press, is such a dishonor to Ahmet. If they felt dissed, then send him a fucking note, but keep your wang sucker shut.
3rd January 2007 09:07 PM
sweetcharmedlife Yeah there have been a lot of funerals this year. But they are at an age where it is natural that people they know are elder. It is their time, it might sound cruel but it is human nature. Bottom line, some of these people who have passed away were big parts of their lives and careers. They should pay their respects.
It just seems like it is typical stones survival behavior. Like hey,thank God it ain't us in the box this time.
[Edited by sweetcharmedlife]
5th January 2007 05:54 AM
corgi37 Yeah Pdog - good post. Maybe Jagger stayed away because the old fella too a spill at his show. Maybe some of the relatives might have been itching for some back too, gotta think of that.

But, good post.
5th January 2007 10:52 PM
Bitch MICK, (why not also complain that KEEF or Charlie didnt show?)KEEF & The Stones are not into funerals, they've missed a fair share of them for reasons unexplained. No apologies no excuses. I think it's a lack of concern for others, they are so far removed from the real world they became numb to it.
6th January 2007 06:07 AM
corgi37 Yes, i think that is right too. Or, maybe they feel they will upstage the funeral? Or, maybe they feel some one will upstage them?

You know, as much as i love the band, and band members, never forget they've always been pretty much a bunch of selfish bastards. It's part of their charm.
6th January 2007 01:11 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bitch wrote:
MICK, (why not also complain that KEEF or Charlie didnt show?)

Dont think its about that. The gripe was that Mick had apparently agreed to go and then didnt show up.
6th January 2007 02:08 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Dont think its about that. The gripe was that Mick had apparently agreed to go and then didnt show up.

So they say, publicly... Which is my gripe, who blast him like that, is their grief so little they have time to be dicks... A great dishonor to Ahmet behaving like this towards Mick... There's so history here, we don't know about or these famaily members of Ahmet are just spoiled rich kids or something.
7th January 2007 12:08 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
FUNERALS ARE OVERRATED

For sure. My Grandmother and her boyfriend spend half their social life going to funerals and wakes. I avoid them if I can get away with it.
8th January 2007 03:18 PM
texile
quote:
Bitch wrote:
MICK, (why not also complain that KEEF or Charlie didnt show?)KEEF & The Stones are not into funerals, they've missed a fair share of them for reasons unexplained. No apologies no excuses. I think it's a lack of concern for others, they are so far removed from the real world they became numb to it.

true...i really don't think they get it or would understand why there absence would be seen as thoughtless..
8th January 2007 03:39 PM
pdog
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

For sure. My Grandmother and her boyfriend spend half their social life going to funerals and wakes. I avoid them if I can get away with it.

At this point, avoiding my own funeral is more important than attending others!
8th January 2007 04:47 PM
Fiji Joe As long as Mick sent an e-card it's cool
8th January 2007 09:34 PM
pdog
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
As long as Mick sent an e-card it's cool

That's so 2003... Dude!
He sent a text!
8th January 2007 10:28 PM
mickmask
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
never forget they've always been pretty much a bunch of selfish bastards. It's part of their charm.

Isn't it just?

mm.
9th January 2007 04:41 PM
gotdablouse Maybe Mick remembered when Ertegun had him redo "Wandering Spirit" twice in 1992, thus delaying the relase and preventing a tour of what is the best Stones related album this side of Exile !
9th January 2007 04:44 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Maybe Mick remembered when Ertegun had him redo "Wandering Spirit" twice in 1992, thus delaying the relase and preventing a tour of what is the best Stones related album this side of Exile !

Good point.
thanks Mr Ertegun, great idea
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)