ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2005 Frank Trapper
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is it just me or is the board loading slow? Return to archive
January 10th, 2005 09:14 AM
Riffhard It seems to be loading very slow this morning,and I'm no seeing a header or any avatars with the exception of glencars? Is it just my computer?

Riffhard
January 10th, 2005 09:16 AM
glencar Riff, I'm trying to gain access to the setlists page & I can't. In desperation I went to a less-liked board & they don't have setlists.
January 10th, 2005 09:17 AM
glencar BTW I can see your avatar.
January 10th, 2005 09:24 AM
Riffhard
quote:
glencar wrote:
BTW I can see your avatar.

Really? Hmmm. I'm not seeing it,yet yours and others are loading just fine. I still don't get the header to load or any of the Rooster tee shirt pics. And you?

Riffhard
January 10th, 2005 09:27 AM
caro Yep, it's kind of frustrating, especially since the header URL for today sounded promising :
http: //rocksoff.org/h5-wepisseverywhere-gazzas5000th-lol.jpg
January 10th, 2005 09:34 AM
Moonisup it's indeed loading very slow, and I am not seeing all avatars,
January 10th, 2005 09:39 AM
Factory Girl It not you Rif, its the UN...
January 10th, 2005 09:49 AM
glencar No, I don't see the header either although I saw one earlier. I didn't see the T-shirt pictures either.
January 10th, 2005 09:54 AM
Riffhard
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
It not you Rif, its the UN...

Well that certainly explain the problem!

Riffhard
January 10th, 2005 10:02 AM
glencar Ah, the UN! Well, since YOU brought it up:

DAVID FRUM NOTICES the United Nations' lack of moral authority, and, for that matter, utility:

The helicopters are taking off and landing now in the tsunami-shattered villages and towns. The sick are being taken for treatment. Clean water is being delivered. Food is arriving. Soon the work of reconstruction will begin.

The countries doing this good work have politely agreed to acknowledge the "coordinating" role of the United Nations. But it is hard to see how precisely the rescue work would be affected if the UN's officials all stayed in New York - or indeed if the UN did not exist at all.

The UN describes its role in South Asia as one of "assessment" and "coordination." Even this, however, seems to many to be a role unnecessary to the plot. The Daily Telegraph last week described the frustration of in-country UN officials who found they had nothing to do as the Americans, Australians, Indonesians, and Malaysians flew missions.

It will be the treasury departments of the G-7 missions that make decisions on debt relief, and the World Bank, aid donor nations, private corporations, and of course the local governments themselves that take the lead on long-term reconstruction. And yet we are constantly told that the UN's involvement is indispensable to the success of the whole undertaking. How can that be? . . .

Nor finally is the UN really quite so hugely popular as supporters such as Ms Short would wish it believed. The Pew Charitable Trusts – the same group that conducts those surveys on anti-Americanism worldwide – reports that the UN carries much more weight in Europe than it does in, say, the Muslim world. Only 35 per cent of Pakistanis express a positive attitude to the UN, as do just 25 per cent of Moroccans, and but 21 per cent of Jordanians.

The UN's authority is instead one of those ineffable mystical mysteries. The authority's existence cannot be perceived by the senses and exerts no influence on the events of this world. Even the authority's most devout hierophants retain the right to disavow that authority at whim, as Ms Short herself disavowed its resolutions on Iraq. . . .

Whence exactly does this moral authority emanate? How did the UN get it? Did it earn it by championing liberty, justice, and other high ideals? That seems a strange thing to say about a body that voted in 2003 to award the chair of its commission on human rights to Mummar Gaddafi's Libya.
January 10th, 2005 10:31 AM
Joey

Incredibly slow this morning !

{{{ WTF ?!?! }}}}
January 10th, 2005 12:24 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl We have problems because of the anual maintenance and the website will be back in some hours. Sorry about this.

I hope it will be back with the header as sometimes the last uploads get lost in the process.

Yes, Caro the header was a very special one, I'm sure some of you saw it yestarday as it was up for some hours.
January 10th, 2005 01:42 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl It's done!
January 10th, 2005 01:56 PM
telecaster Do you all think that Voodoo looks like Robby Benson?

http://www.robbybenson.net/

Yes it is loading slow

Not as slow as www.maxlugar.com
January 10th, 2005 01:59 PM
glencar Back to normal as far as the header is concerned.
January 10th, 2005 02:46 PM
Maxlugar
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Do you all think that Voodoo looks like Robby Benson?

http://www.robbybenson.net/

Yes it is loading slow

Not as slow as www.maxlugar.com

I promised you the greatest website designed by man. A life altering experience that would change the way we all look at the World Wide Web (WWW). I have delivered on my word! I never promised you speed!

Now you go back and sit there and wait for that message board to load! And like it!!

Thanks,

Maxlugar (Internet Legend), Owner/ Operator www.maxlugar.com
January 10th, 2005 02:50 PM
gypsy
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

I promised you the greatest website designed by man. A life altering experience that would change the way we all look at the World Wide Web (WWW). I have delivered on my word! I never promised you speed!

Now you go back and sit there and wait for that message board to load! And like it!!

Thanks,

What he said, bitches!

gypsy (card carrying member of the LC6)
January 10th, 2005 04:09 PM
Joey
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Thanks,

Macky ................................

Can I come over this evening and borrow a cup of ego ?!

{ CA - RACK }

Triple Ronnie !

Bercee !
January 10th, 2005 04:15 PM
gypsy
quote:
Joey wrote:

{ CA - RACK }

Triple Ronnie !

Bercee !

And " THE JOEY " comes out on top yet again with a one-two combo! Leaving Lugar defeated and humiliated. Oh, it's a sad day for Lugar once again.
January 10th, 2005 10:31 PM
kath i haven't read the thread, but in answer to the subject line...YES!!! it is loading REALLY SLOWLY!!!!!
January 11th, 2005 12:20 AM
Zack
quote:
glencar wrote:
Ah, the UN! Well, since YOU brought it up:

DAVID FRUM NOTICES the United Nations' lack of moral authority, and, for that matter, utility:

The helicopters are taking off and landing now in the tsunami-shattered villages and towns. The sick are being taken for treatment. Clean water is being delivered. Food is arriving. Soon the work of reconstruction will begin.

The countries doing this good work have politely agreed to acknowledge the "coordinating" role of the United Nations. But it is hard to see how precisely the rescue work would be affected if the UN's officials all stayed in New York - or indeed if the UN did not exist at all.

The UN describes its role in South Asia as one of "assessment" and "coordination." Even this, however, seems to many to be a role unnecessary to the plot. The Daily Telegraph last week described the frustration of in-country UN officials who found they had nothing to do as the Americans, Australians, Indonesians, and Malaysians flew missions.

It will be the treasury departments of the G-7 missions that make decisions on debt relief, and the World Bank, aid donor nations, private corporations, and of course the local governments themselves that take the lead on long-term reconstruction. And yet we are constantly told that the UN's involvement is indispensable to the success of the whole undertaking. How can that be? . . .

Nor finally is the UN really quite so hugely popular as supporters such as Ms Short would wish it believed. The Pew Charitable Trusts – the same group that conducts those surveys on anti-Americanism worldwide – reports that the UN carries much more weight in Europe than it does in, say, the Muslim world. Only 35 per cent of Pakistanis express a positive attitude to the UN, as do just 25 per cent of Moroccans, and but 21 per cent of Jordanians.

The UN's authority is instead one of those ineffable mystical mysteries. The authority's existence cannot be perceived by the senses and exerts no influence on the events of this world. Even the authority's most devout hierophants retain the right to disavow that authority at whim, as Ms Short herself disavowed its resolutions on Iraq. . . .

Whence exactly does this moral authority emanate? How did the UN get it? Did it earn it by championing liberty, justice, and other high ideals? That seems a strange thing to say about a body that voted in 2003 to award the chair of its commission on human rights to Mummar Gaddafi's Libya.

For the record, David Frum is with the right-wing National Review magazine, and has authored such books as "The Right Man: The Surprise Presidency of George W. Bush" and "An End to Evil: How to Win the War on Terrorism."

http://www.davidfrum.com/

January 11th, 2005 06:31 AM
Riffhard While I'm hesitant to get into another round of UN bashing here. Even if it is fully justified. I think that it's a safe bet to say that it's not only the right side of the aisle that is pointing out the UN's incompetance. The Sri Lanken goverment,the Indian goverment,the Thai goverment,and a slew of other relief groups have been very critical of their performance. There are no doubt some very fine people working for the UN with the best of intentions. That does not change the fact that the UN's leadership has once again proven to be nothing but a bunch of bureaucrats that would rather sit around and disscuss pie graphs and charts than actully get anything done. (see Rawanda,the Ivory Coast,the Balkans,the Sudan,et al)

It's one thing to say,"This isn't the time to critizize the UN! People are dying damnit!" Well,this is the exact time to wake up to the UN's incompetance and hypocrisy. It is on display for the whole world to see. If you choose to ignore the elephant in the middle of the room that's your perogative,but I,and many others,are sick of their utter contempt for the US and their double standards,which are always on display!

Just calling it as it is,Ronnie!

Riffhard
January 11th, 2005 07:13 AM
Zack Truth be told, I have never had much of an opinion either way on the UN and only really give a shit as it relates to my wife's employment. All I know is the people in her office, mostly Sri Lankans, are working very very hard, and from my vantage point the bashing trickles down to these folks.

The irony here in Sri Lanka is that despite working from 7 am to 11 pm every day since our return and being long- recognized by her boss and her regional office as outstanding, my wife may lose her job. As a result of the larger amounts of money coming in to the program, they are considering upgrading the post one level on the UN scale, at which point she would have to compete for her own job.

Someone who has more experience at that higher level could swoop in and take it away from her based on who he or she knows and not level of competence. I told her not to worry, that if there is any justice in this world it won't happen, but you never know. If it does, I'll be jumping on the bandwagon too.
January 11th, 2005 07:32 AM
Factory Girl Zack,

I know all too well the bureacratic job-filling process. I hope that your wife has an advantage b/c she's already in the job. Plus, I hope that her supervisor values her experience and qualifications, and won't hire someone who is not qualified.

Best of luck to both of you!
January 11th, 2005 07:38 AM
Maxlugar [quote]Joey wrote:

Sure!

You want a cup of talent to go along with that?

{{{KA-BLAMMO!!!}}}

IT IS HIGH!!!

IT IS FAR!!!

IT IS....GONE!!!

It aint boastin' if it's true, Ronald!

Maxlugar, Internet Industrialist!
January 11th, 2005 07:41 AM
Riffhard Zack my friend you have just pointed out the very bureaucratic BS that has been a constent for the UN. Your wife is obviously doing God's work(for lack of a better term)and she is to be commended. Wow! She's really putting in some serious hours,huh?! That's great and it's obvious that her heart is in the right place,but unfortunatly,the UN's leadership is all about the press appearances and the perks. Just take a look at Kofi Anann's visit to the area recently. By all accounts all he did was get in the way of real relief efforts.

I would love for the UN to be as an effective organization as it was intended to be. Unfortunatly,it has turned(some would say it always has been)a group of bureacrats that are more interested in the politics of power than the actual carrying out of the deeds it was originally intended as.

Good luck to you and your wife Zack.

Riffhard
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood