ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2005 Frank Trapper
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 1967 boot? have few, why? Return to archive
January 9th, 2005 02:01 PM
gustavobala someone have to trade?

1967 have no much boots, someone knows why?
January 9th, 2005 04:22 PM
Gazza Main reason why there arent many 1967 shows is because the whole culture of taping shows and releasing them on bootleg albums didnt really begin until 1969,when Dylan's "The Great White Wonder" was issued - it mostly consisted of the Basement Tapes demos from 1967 and because of Dylan's legend and coupled with his low profile since 1966, the emergence of this album (which also included some sessions dating back to 1961, before his first album)got a lot of attention and obviously alerted people to the fact that a lot of money could be made in bootlegging rock music (bootlegs had been around for years in jazz circles, incidentally)

Also, not many people had mobile tape recorders back then, so it wasnt easy to go to shows and record them. What recording equipment there was consisted of mostly huge, cumbersome things. Additionally, sound systems were pretty mediocre in the mid 1960's and with all the screaming you'd get at a Stones show, it would be hard to hear anything - so I guess it was hardly worth the trouble.

All things considered,it's quite surprising that there are as many as four shows from that relatively short 1967 European tour in circulation (Vienna, The Hague, Zurich plus the audience recording from Paris which was broadcast on French radio) plus two short silent super 8 films of Cologne and Dortmund.

Prior to 1967, there are only some 9 Stones concerts in circulation - the infamous Kurhaus (The Hague) riot from '64, Gothenburg, Paris & Berlin from 1965 and from 1966 Sydney, Melbourne, Honolulu and two from Paris. From that lot, only The Hague, Gothenburg, Berlin & Sydney are audience recordings, the rest are broadcasts or PA sources. The Sydney recording is mediocre and the Hague, Berlin and Gothenburg ones almost unlistenable.

I've always found it very surprising that there isnt a single circulating audience recording of any Brian Jones-era Stones concert from either the US or the UK.
January 9th, 2005 04:31 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Now I have doubts isn't "Liver than you'll ever be" the first bootleg of rock history?
January 9th, 2005 05:24 PM
Angiegirl No, it was the Stones' first, but Dylan's bootleg Great White Wonder ('69) was the first in general rock history, I think, not sure.

Edit: I googled it:
http://bootlegs.led-zeppelin.us/htm...eg_history.html

[Edited by Angiegirl]
January 9th, 2005 07:28 PM
Gazza GWW was the first rock bootleg, first circulating around July 1969 and then followed by a few more Dylan titles such as "Stealin'" , "John Birch Society Blues" and "Troubled Troubadour", all of which were mostly studio material, and often included repackaging of many of the songs that were on GWW.

The first non-Dylan title (and possibly the first fully "live" bootleg recording) was probably "Live Peace In Toronto" by John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, which quickly became superfluous when Capitol released the "Live Peace In Toronto" album in late 1969. Around the same time saw the release of The Beatles' "Get Back" album, which was the original version of the album that later became "Let It Be". (source : "The Great White Wonders : A History of Rock Bootlegs" by Clinton Heylin)

The 1969 Stones tour which began on 7th November was perfect timing for the new phenomenon and "Live R Than You'll Ever Be", featuring 9 tracks from Oakland on 9th November was out before Christmas. (I have actually read however that there was a boot of the Hyde Park show out just before that, but I have my doubts. Maybe someone can confirm that).

I should have mentioned earlier than not only were bootleg albums quite common in jazz circles many years before they were in rock, but that this was also the case in opera and blues as well.

January 9th, 2005 07:38 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I have actually read however that there was a boot of the Hyde Park show out just before that, but I have my doubts. Maybe someone can confirm that

Thanks for clarifying this issue mate!

The Hyde Park bootleg was a tape and the Liver was an LP

Sorry for the recycled material but it fits with my answer
January 9th, 2005 08:07 PM
Gazza Hold on..you're relying on some Charlie Brown and fuckin' Snoopy-style cartoon as authorities on bootlegging now?

**BLANK FRIGGIN' STARE**

Dont forget,that most "bootlegs" existed and circulated as tapes before someone pressed them as albums. There were such recordings circulating therefore years before 1969. Taping a show off the radio (as that cartoon suggests) isnt a bootleg, although there WAS a version of it which was pressed as one of (if not THE) first Stones bootleg LPs.

January 9th, 2005 08:16 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Gazza is not an ordinary cartoon, it's a Rolling Stone Magazine cartoon!

Now I get it, "Liver than you'll ever be" is the first bootleg as LP!! No wait it wasn't it was Louis Armstrong concert in Denmark '33!!

January 10th, 2005 01:45 AM
riccardo ou forgot to mention Milan 67 that surfaced last year.
January 10th, 2005 05:34 AM
Gazza I figured there was another one somewhere. Forgot that show - thanks for reminding me
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood