ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2005 Frank Trapper
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: mickey rooney's ass deemed "icky" Return to archive
January 8th, 2005 10:00 PM
kath Fox Nixes Ad Showing Mickey Rooney's Rear

By LYNN ELBER
AP Television Writer

ADVERTISEMENT

(enlarge photo)

LOS ANGELES — Mickey Rooney's bare end zone won't be part of the Super Bowl advertising blitz, Fox TV said Friday. The network rejected a cold remedy commercial that includes a brief shot of the 84-year-old actor's behind, said Fox Sports spokesman Lou D'Ermilio.

"Our standards department reviewed the ad, and it was deemed inappropriate for broadcast television," he said. The commercial for the over-the-counter product Airborne is set in a sauna and depicts Rooney panicking when someone coughs. His towel drops as he rushes out, revealing his rear.

Fox's decision wasn't affected by fallout from last year's Super Bowl halftime show on CBS, which included a flash of Janet Jackson's breast, D'Ermilio said.

"Our standards and practices haven't changed," he said.

The Federal Communications Commission levied a $550,000 fine against CBS parent company Viacom over the Jackson incident. Viacom is contesting the fine.

Rooney, whose films include the Andy Hardy series and "National Velvet," said he was disappointed by Fox's move and hoped the network would reconsider.

"I would never do anything that's in bad taste. ... I've been a family entertainer all my life," Rooney told The Associated Press. "We're not selling sex, we're selling a health product."

Rooney and his wife, Jan, are touring nationally in a stage production, "Let's Put on a Show."

Rider McDowell, co-owner of Carmel-based Airborne Inc., also defended the ad Friday: "There's nothing titillating about this spot, nor was there intended to be a sexual aspect to it."

The company has filed a complaint with the FCC to try to reverse Fox's decision, although McDowell said it was somewhat understandable "given the prevailing climate of censorship about nudity on television shows."

In a Jan. 3 letter to the commission, attorneys for Airborne argued the ad is not indecent and asked the FCC to either order Fox to run the ad during the game or ask Fox to provide more information on why it rejected it.

An FCC spokeswoman told USA Today that the commission, which responds to complaints after a broadcast, would never issue such an order, the newspaper reported Friday.

Given that it would cost $1.2 million to air the 15-second ad during the Feb. 6 football championship game, the company won't spend that kind of money if it can't be assured maximum effect, McDowell said.

"We had to come up something sensational that would leave people with a lingering buzz or chuckle," he said. "To edit that out would be to emasculate the ad somewhat."

___

whew...that was a close one...thank gawd somebody is watching out for us!!!!
January 8th, 2005 11:13 PM
gypsy I cried last night when I heard that on the news.
I feel hurt and cheated. Why must they deprive me of seeing Mickey Rooney's sweet ass?! WHY?! Jealous bastards!
January 8th, 2005 11:37 PM
kath i knew you'd feel the pain too, gypsy! i mean, my gawd, we have watched mickey rooney grow up in the movies! we've read about all his marriages and all that "star shit". why, i've never known life without mickey rooney in it, and i am pretty damned old! hell, i say let's see some old, wrinkled skin! and what is that lump in the middle of his chest??? my gawd..to hell with his bum...what is THAT thing..like in "alien"....

even ickier
January 8th, 2005 11:40 PM
seclusion LOL Just what I was waiting for... now I can go on with my day.
January 8th, 2005 11:55 PM
gypsy
quote:
seclusion wrote:
LOL Just what I was waiting for... now I can go on with my day.

Sadly, reading my post probably was the highlight of your day...
January 9th, 2005 12:13 AM
kath oh you two crazy kids.....you know deep down that we're really all here because we love mickey....c'mon..let's fix up the old barn and put on a show!!!!!!

January 9th, 2005 09:49 AM
glencar See? There were some good things to come out of all the hoopla oevr J. Jackson's wardrobe malfunction.
January 9th, 2005 01:57 PM
seclusion Gawd... I just got up and looked at the title of this thread and my stomach rolled. kath, you're crazy...LOL
January 9th, 2005 10:28 PM
kath well, you know...i mean, in an age when we've all seen janet's boob, and mick's grapefruit sized testicles in "performance" andsex has become just the part of life that it always was, and even politicians do it....

and now suddenly, somebody gets pissy because a tiny bit of mickey rooney's tuckos is exposed for a split second...in context with the ad...if it had been the hip of a gorgeous model (man or woman) nobody would have bitched......

the world has gone mad i tells ya...totally mad!!!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood