ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2005 Frank Trapper
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Black Crowes REUNITE (nsc) Return to archive
January 7th, 2005 03:12 PM
Saint Sway yesterday in Las Vegas, The Black Crowes brothers Chris & Rich Robinson played a private acoustic show together. It was the 1st time the two brothers have played a show together since 2001.

the 45 minute acoustic set included Cursed Diamond, Wiser Time, Non Fiction, Jealous Again, Good Friday, She Talks To Angels and a few others....

as a HUGE Black Crowes fan I am major psyched to have the brothers playing together again!!!!!

the world feels like a better place today

[Edited by Saint Sway]
January 7th, 2005 03:25 PM
GimmeExile This is great news! Let's hope they take it to the next level and plan a tour with the full band...
January 7th, 2005 04:15 PM
rolling who Did Oasis and the Black Crowes used to give each other the heads up on when they were releasing their next album and singles in the mid-90s, like the Beatles and Stones used to do with each other in the mid-60s? Just wondering. I mean, they've tried to emulate everything else about the respective bands.
January 7th, 2005 04:48 PM
ResidentMule i only knew about She Talks, Jealous & Wiser Time. But Good Friday is great, and Nonfiction & Cursed Diamond are even cooler than the fact that they didn't play Hard To Handle (or if they did I'd assume you'd have mentioned it). I wanna hear audio from this show REALLY bad right now. can't wait to see these guys again, and its starting to look pretty close to official

now what the fuck was the deal with this gig & why were they there? you'd think they'd make a more proper reunion
January 7th, 2005 05:31 PM
Make It Funky Hey Sway - thanks for the Vegas update. Fucking awesome!!
Do you reckon it'd be a Crowes reunion, or a Brothers Robinson & Co? Very very exciting news. Happy days!! :-)
cheers.
January 7th, 2005 06:31 PM
crb69 Cool news...revive the rock n' roll jam bands again!
[besides the (Greg) Allmans]

Please bring Marc Ford back on lead guitar for the Crowes!

They need to get back to their roots and just jam some good old rock music again...right on brothers, go for it!

GOOD NEWS!!! Thanx...
January 7th, 2005 06:35 PM
glencar
quote:
rolling who wrote:
Did Oasis and the Black Crowes used to give each other the heads up on when they were releasing their next album and singles in the mid-90s, like the Beatles and Stones used to do with each other in the mid-60s? Just wondering. I mean, they've tried to emulate everything else about the respective bands.

Well, ironically, Oasis is releasing their first CD in several years this May.
January 7th, 2005 07:04 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
rolling who wrote:
Did Oasis and the Black Crowes used to give each other the heads up on when they were releasing their next album and singles in the mid-90s, like the Beatles and Stones used to do with each other in the mid-60s? Just wondering. I mean, they've tried to emulate everything else about the respective bands.

I've always doubted Keith's recollection of that "arrangement"; it sounds like one of Keith's urban myths, like being locked in the kitchen by Andrew and seeing Muddy Waters painting the walls in Chess Studios.

Why would the Beatles have worried about "clashing" with the Stones' LPs? Sales between the two bands were not even close to comparable.
January 7th, 2005 07:58 PM
Gazza The story about them holding singles back to give each other a clear run is true enough and is held up statistically. I've read that from more sources than Keith.

I do agree that Keith is prone to a lot of tall tales. Marshall Chess said that the story about Muddy Waters painting the ceiling at Chess because he wasnt selling records is utter invention on Keith's part, and that anyone who knows what a proud man Muddy was would know he'd never do that. Nor would he have been asked to.

I've never really taken seriously either all of that stuff about him falling asleep when writing "Satisfaction" and waking up to find a tape of 5 minutes of him playing the riff and 40 minutes of him snoring.

Its a nice tale, though.
January 8th, 2005 03:43 AM
wisertime I heard it won't be with the drummer Steve Gorman, although it's great news !!
January 8th, 2005 04:22 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The story about them holding singles back to give each other a clear run is true enough and is held up statistically. I've read that from more sources than Keith.

I do agree that Keith is prone to a lot of tall tales. Marshall Chess said that the story about Muddy Waters painting the ceiling at Chess because he wasnt selling records is utter invention on Keith's part, and that anyone who knows what a proud man Muddy was would know he'd never do that. Nor would he have been asked to.

I've never really taken seriously either all of that stuff about him falling asleep when writing "Satisfaction" and waking up to find a tape of 5 minutes of him playing the riff and 40 minutes of him snoring.

Its a nice tale, though.

consider this...

quote:
The story I am about to tell involves a weekend in late 1969 in which Anita was out of the UK. Kenneth and Keith were on their own at the palatial estate Richards leased at the time.

Keith owned a large black alchemist's stone, smooth and shiny, with a depth that depending on how stoned one was could produce a hallucinogenic effect. Both men were using opium and perhaps a bit of LSD and Keith decided to work on a song that had been overwhelming his subconscious. He told Kenneth "I'm writing this song for you although after it's finished the tabloids will say it was for Anita. But you will always know better."

As Keith worked on committing this tune to paper, the two men, very high, began staring into the onyx stone and it was at this point that Keith remarked he was seeing drops of blood, bright red drops of human blood accentuated by the velvet blackness of the stone. Keith then went into a vision and told Kenneth that at the beginning of the New Millennium, a terrible catastrophe would occur. He saw high towers raining blood but could make no more sense of it except to say it was in the distant future, and that the 21st Century would have a very dark cloud over its beginnings.

At this point Richards returned to the song he was working on. And Kenneth would never forget what his friend had seen in his vision.

Flash forward to Tuesday morning, September 11th. Kenneth awoke at 6:30 AM (Los Angeles time) and as was his ritual, welcomed the sun. He felt compelled to go to his Aleister Crowley Tarot deck. At this point, Kenneth reminded me that the Tarot cannot tell your own future but on a broader scale can predict world events. As he laid the cards before him, The Tower appeared followed ultimately by the Death card.

Kenneth has never owned a television in his life. But at that moment he knew he had to be near one. He raced down the street to a little market where he purchased his daily breakfast of freshly squeezed orange juice and knew the owners kept a small television over the cash register. It was there in the early hours of September 11th that Kenneth Anger realized the prophecy in Keith Richards' landmark tune that achieved worldwide acclaim as "Ruby Tuesday."

(quoted from the article found on this page)
January 8th, 2005 11:02 AM
nankerphelge Keith penning RT in 1969?

Now that's something!
January 8th, 2005 11:18 AM
glencar One doesn't have to be a magus to see that story is fake! I wonder what certain folks on certain boards will do with that tale.
January 8th, 2005 02:49 PM
Gazza Aside from all that, I've never read about RT supposedly being about Anita - wasnt it always rumoured to have been inspired by a groupie.

RT was recorded in late 1966. I dont think the Stones had even met Kenneth Anger by then, had they?
January 8th, 2005 03:29 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Aside from all that, I've never read about RT supposedly being about Anita - wasnt it always rumoured to have been inspired by a groupie.

RT was recorded in late 1966. I dont think the Stones had even met Kenneth Anger by then, had they?

That story is pure bunk. Gazza you are right Kenneth Anger did not come into the picture until 1968 around the time Goddard's film One Plus One(SFTD). He seems to have met them through some of the fashionistas of the day in London. If memory serves Robert Frasier was the one who introduced them. It's only natural that Anger would have gravitated towards the Stones at that time. What with all the debauchery,drugs,and supposed black magic. Kenneth Anger was,and still is,a freak and a liar as well. He once stated that Paint It Black was really about Mick's desire to worship Satan. The Stones distanced themselves from him in pretty short order,yet he has always played up his own role in the history of the band. Most of which is in the form of outright lies and great exaggerations.

Riffhard
January 9th, 2005 11:41 AM
mac_daddy innacuracies aside, i thought the story i quoted above fit well w/ gazza's post re: the yarns that are often times spun about the band...

_____

as for my on-topic posting:

Chris Robinson and Rich Robinson
January 6, 2005 - LVCC Central Hall @ CES - Las Vegas, NV [ USA ]
S E T L I S T :
Thorn In My Pride
Nonfiction
Cursed Diamond
Soul Singing
Wiser Time
Jealous Again
She Talks To Angels

Chris and Rich with an acoustic guitar.

S H O W L E N G T H :
45 minutes
January 10th, 2005 10:10 AM
Factory Girl Nice!!! The Crowes w/Jimmy Page was onr the best shows I've ever seen!!
January 10th, 2005 12:36 PM
56DeSoto I just got back from Vegas. I was there on business for the CES tech show. I saw the Crowes play, it was only semi-private. They played at the Olympus booth. I think it was pretty much a promotion for a new music player from Olympus. The sound was good and they looked like they were enjoying themselves, though they were a bit out of place in the middle of a giant technology show. Rich used about five different acoustic guitars, he had a roadie that kept swapping them out for him. I don't know if this bodes well for a full band reunion, they didn't say anything about it.
January 10th, 2005 02:50 PM
Saint Sway thats awesome that you saw them play! Theres plenty of jealous Crowes fans that wished they had seen it. Believe it or not, Chris & Rich have never performed a full show as just the two of them together before. So it was a pretty cool moment.

stay tuned for more news from them real soon....
January 10th, 2005 06:22 PM
corgi37 Go back to the 2nd post. Rolling who - that is pure genius!

The world has passed the Black Crowes by. Did so around 93. What, they think the current back to basics rock revival, which i think is dying very quickly anyway, is going to allow them to jump on board? The Vines are fucked. Hives cd sold about 1/1000 of their prior release, Jet are really getting over exposed here, and who is coming up?? Certainly not a bunch of 80's geezers.

I just knew changing nappies and listening to Goldie Hawns squaking voice, plus the fact the royalties would be minimal, would get these 2 together again. Maybe Chris suffers that age old problem of feeling insecure that his Mrs earns more than him. Poor cuckolded love. Surely he could hang with Bobbie Brown!!! hahaha.

Hey, if Motley Crue can do it, why not the Rolling Crowes, or the Black Stones?

I know many of you adore them for being very, very similar to the Stones flavour, but i just see them as absolutely ripping my band off, right down to the fucking film clips. Hey, fine, the Stones started off as a cover band. But sheesh, that only lasted 18 months, not an entire career!

I love seeing bands break up, fail in whatever drove the individuals to break up in the 1st place, then limp back together with their tales between their legs.

But, i'm a prick like that.

P.S. Will Poison re-unite too? Warrant, perhaps?
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood