ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2005 Frank Trapper
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Danny Sugarman RIP Return to archive
January 6th, 2005 10:18 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Doors Manager Danny Sugerman Dead at 50

By Chris Morris

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Danny Sugerman, longtime manager of the Doors and the principal caretaker of the Los Angeles band's legend, died Wednesday in West Hollywood after a long battle with cancer. He was 50.

Sugerman became involved with the Doors as a teenage fan during the group's heyday in the late '60s. He worked as a go-fer for the band, and idolized flamboyant lead singer Jim Morrison. After Morrison's death in Paris in 1971, he became increasingly involved with the surviving members' career and eventually served as their manager.

At his death, he was partnered with co-manager Jeff Jambol. Beyond his work on the business side, Sugerman promoted the Doors tirelessly and prolifically as a writer. With Jerry Hopkins, he co-authored the lurid 1980 Doors biography "No One Here Gets Out Alive," which became a best seller and reignited interest in the band's music. He also wrote or edited other books about Morrison and the band, including "The Doors" and "The Complete Illustrated Lyrics." Sugerman served as a technical advisor on Oliver Stone's 1991 biopic "The Doors." He also penned an autobiographical novel, "Wonderland Avenue: Tales of Glamour and Excess," and a book about the L.A. hard rock band Guns N' Roses, "Appetite for Destruction."

Sugerman is survived by his wife Fawn Hall Sugerman, and a brother and sister.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
January 6th, 2005 10:30 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Would that be the same Fawn Hall that was associated with Oliver North in the 80s???
January 6th, 2005 10:42 PM
Zack I'm back!

Yes, it's the same Fawn Hall Ollie North's secretary.

That 1980 bio of Jim came out at the height of my Doors freakdom, when I was 16. Read it over and over. Sugerman was 13 year old Denny in the book. He also wrote another great dopesville book Wonderland Avenue.

RIP Danny.
January 7th, 2005 08:23 AM
Factory Girl How did he die?
January 7th, 2005 08:33 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
How did he die?

quote:
died Wednesday in West Hollywood after a long battle with cancer.

i was that same age age when i first read that doors book - loved it. i still think it is one of the best rock books i have read (i also really enjoyed greenfield's stp book)...
January 7th, 2005 08:41 AM
Gazza
quote:
Zack wrote:
I'm back!

Yes, it's the same Fawn Hall Ollie North's secretary.

That 1980 bio of Jim came out at the height of my Doors freakdom, when I was 16. Read it over and over. RIP Danny.

same here. Its a fun read, although on reading it again when a bit older and more cynical, a bit too heavy on the "Jim Morrison was a god" idol worship angle (I think he actually says that quote at the beginning of the book!)

A bit too much enthralled by Jimbo, but what the hell, no harm in it! Too bad he died so young.

I'd no idea about him being married to Fawn Hall, either. Bloody hell.
January 7th, 2005 08:53 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:

same here. Its a fun read, although on reading it again when a bit older and more cynical, a bit too heavy on the "Jim Morrison was a god" idol worship angle (I think he actually says that quote at the beginning of the book!)

A bit too much enthralled by Jimbo, but what the hell, no harm in it! Too bad he died so young.

I'd no idea about him being married to Fawn Hall, either. Bloody hell.

good points re: the book, gazza...

i dont even bat an eye re: fawn hall - you would never believe the sh*t i see out here on a daily basis (although, if he was married, why does the obit state he was "partnered" with some other guy..?)
January 7th, 2005 09:35 AM
Joey
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Doors Manager Danny Sugerman Dead at 50

By Chris Morris

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Danny Sugerman, longtime manager of the Doors and the principal caretaker of the Los Angeles band's legend, died Wednesday in West Hollywood after a long battle with cancer. He was 50.

Sugerman became involved with the Doors as a teenage fan during the group's heyday in the late '60s. He worked as a go-fer for the band, and idolized flamboyant lead singer Jim Morrison. After Morrison's death in Paris in 1971, he became increasingly involved with the surviving members' career and eventually served as their manager.

At his death, he was partnered with co-manager Jeff Jambol. Beyond his work on the business side, Sugerman promoted the Doors tirelessly and prolifically as a writer. With Jerry Hopkins, he co-authored the lurid 1980 Doors biography "No One Here Gets Out Alive," which became a best seller and reignited interest in the band's music. He also wrote or edited other books about Morrison and the band, including "The Doors" and "The Complete Illustrated Lyrics." Sugerman served as a technical advisor on Oliver Stone's 1991 biopic "The Doors." He also penned an autobiographical novel, "Wonderland Avenue: Tales of Glamour and Excess," and a book about the L.A. hard rock band Guns N' Roses, "Appetite for Destruction."

Sugerman is survived by his wife Fawn Hall Sugerman, and a brother and sister.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Danny Sugarman was Pete Townshend's boyfriend in the late 1960's .
January 7th, 2005 10:25 AM
gypsy
quote:
Joey wrote:

Danny Sugarman was Pete Townshend's boyfriend in the late 1960's .

No, joey, your Dad was Petey's boyfriend in the late 1960's.
January 7th, 2005 10:43 AM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:

No, joey, your Dad was Petey's boyfriend in the late 1960's.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 7th, 2005 10:51 AM
gypsy
quote:
Joey wrote:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on! It's not like you didn't know.
January 7th, 2005 11:10 AM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:

Come on! It's not like you didn't know.

January 7th, 2005 11:12 AM
GimmeExile Ten Thousand Motels, thanks for posting the obituary. I found out by reading it here.

Danny Sugarman was a great writer. I read "No One Here Gets Out Alive" in high school and was glued to that book; it was engrossing and written in a fluid style...But the book he wrote that left the most lasting impression was his autobiography "Wonderland Avenue." It details his life working with Jim Morrison as a young fan turned manager. He also befriended Iggy Pop and lived with him during his heyday in L.A. More than a Doors book, though, it chronicles the L.A. scene of the 1970s--what it was like to live in Laurel Canyon, hang out at the Rainbow Bar & Grill, the Whisky and other Sunset Strip haunts.

There is a great passage in the book where he writes about EXILE ON MAIN STREET along with Bruce Springsteen's BORN TO RUN as the two albums that he played in his car. He writes passionately how the themes for both albums deal with freedom and release.

The depictions of his heroin addiction are harrowing. I remember getting nauseous while reading one graphic scene--that's how powerful his writing was.

[Edited by GimmeExile]
January 7th, 2005 11:39 AM
glencar In the obit "partnered" might be meant in the traditional sense of business partnership.
January 7th, 2005 11:52 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
In the obit "partnered" might be meant in the traditional sense of business partnership.

January 7th, 2005 11:56 AM
glencar Never more, shecky!
January 7th, 2005 11:57 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Never more, shecky!

Snarky ! ™
January 7th, 2005 11:58 AM
gypsy It doesn't mean they were "partnered" in the same sense as josh and joey.

www.HoweMilitary.com
January 7th, 2005 12:23 PM
glencar use your words, Joey. You did it once.
January 7th, 2005 02:55 PM
gypsy
quote:
Joey wrote:

***** BLANK STARE *********

Speak, joey, speak!
January 7th, 2005 03:05 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:

Speak, joey, speak!

********* END TRANSMISSION ***********
January 7th, 2005 03:06 PM
Saint Sway THIS JUST IN....

the latest rumor is that Sugarman faked his death.

he's living under an alias somewhere in the South of France
January 7th, 2005 03:07 PM
Joey
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
THIS JUST IN....

Funny Post ! ... Thanks S.S. !

Please feel free to take the rest of the day off .

JACKY ! ™
January 7th, 2005 03:13 PM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
THIS JUST IN....

LMAO. Post of the week. Please feel free to take the rest of the day off!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood