ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2005 Frank Trapper
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Don Was talks of The Stones and a short comment on the release of new album......From Ian Return to archive
January 6th, 2005 07:47 AM
IanBillen Here is some good Don Was comments I seen on another board. It is on The Stones and how they inspire his own band and a comment on the new Stones album possible release time:

Published: January 05, 2005 02:11 PM
Uber-producer Don Was (bio | CDs - DVDs - books), of the newly reunited band Was (Not Was), is currently at work with The Rolling Stones (bio | CDs - DVDs - books), turning the knobs for a new Stones album that's expected to hit stores in mid-2005.

Although many can say they were inspired by The Rolling Stones, the legendary band had a special effect on Was. The Michigan native said it was his work on the Stones' "Bridges to Babylon" and "Voodoo Lounge" albums that spurred him to resurrect Was (Not Was).
"They're the greatest," Was said of the British rockers. "There's a reason that they've been around for 40-some years: they really are the best rock 'n' roll band ever.

"It's inspirational to be around them. It's helped in making our own records. I learn a lot from them just watching them work. It makes you want to do the same thing. They have their methodology and it's interesting to try to come up with songs the way they do."

That methodology is simple, Was said.

"They just do it, man. They just pick up an instrument and play. They do it without self-consciousness. They don't care who's listening or whether it's going to be crummy or what. They're so open. They just let it out. It's a great way to do things."

What projects do you have coming up?

"The Was (Not Was) thing. We're going to finish our record. It's coming out in April. The Rolling Stones thing should probably come out next summer."

-sounds more of the same....which is good-
Ian
January 6th, 2005 09:23 AM
Madafaka Yeah, more of the same, but thank you anyway.
January 6th, 2005 10:34 AM
F505 I shouldn't expect too much with Don Was turning the knobs.
It would be a miracle if the Stones make a record that stands comparison with Tattoo You, their last decent album. But it is definitly a crucial test.
January 6th, 2005 11:39 AM
jb weak......
January 6th, 2005 11:54 AM
GimmeExile It would be nice if the Stones took more risks and tried different producers. Don Was is solid and reliable but predictable.

Do you think Brendan O'Brien would make a good producer for the Stones?
January 6th, 2005 11:57 AM
jb no.........maybe puff daddy.
January 6th, 2005 12:03 PM
Gazza
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
It would be nice if the Stones took more risks and tried different producers. Don Was is solid and reliable but predictable.

Do you think Brendan O'Brien would make a good producer for the Stones?

maybe but he's already been working with Bruce again, with more sessions planned shortly and there should be a new Springsteen/E-Street Band album out by the summer of 2005
January 6th, 2005 12:22 PM
F505 I should try Jack Frost
January 6th, 2005 12:34 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
F505 wrote:
I should try Jack Frost

That would indeed be something to hear.

I rather liked the last album he produced.
January 6th, 2005 12:39 PM
jb Burt bacharach------------->Alfie---------Stones______hit?
January 6th, 2005 12:46 PM
glencar Bring back the Dust Brothers!
January 6th, 2005 12:49 PM
jb Lil' John and Pitbull
January 6th, 2005 12:52 PM
glencar Is Missy Elliot busy?
January 6th, 2005 01:00 PM
L&A Rick Rubin
January 6th, 2005 01:00 PM
jb Fat Joe and Kenya(?) West
January 6th, 2005 01:01 PM
jb SS and Cardinal Fang.
January 6th, 2005 01:14 PM
F505 JB are these all gay duos?
January 6th, 2005 01:24 PM
glencar Where's Phil Spector when we need him?
January 6th, 2005 01:40 PM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:
JB are these all gay duos?

No!!! .......
January 6th, 2005 01:48 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
glencar wrote:
Where's Phil Spector when we need him?

probably popping a cap in some bee-atch
January 6th, 2005 01:49 PM
J.J.Flash oaaaaaah my king Jimmi Miller.....
January 6th, 2005 01:54 PM
jb Papa Roach
January 6th, 2005 02:57 PM
gotdablouse George Martin
January 6th, 2005 03:01 PM
glencar Ixnay, ixnay!
January 6th, 2005 07:02 PM
gotdablouse Elton John
January 6th, 2005 08:58 PM
mac_daddy check this out...

(excerpted from another list)

quote:
BB Kings is offering free(!) tix for Thursday's WasNot Was
show. Unbelievably this hasn't sold well.

As they haven't toured for over 10 years, they may be below the popular
radar, but are and remain an astonishing live act. Of course Don's work
with Bonnie, the Rolling Wrinkles et al has kept him busy.

Would love a copy if anyone records.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/promo/10793?tm_link=tm_home_d5%20

Opening is ex-Morphine. Helluva bill.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
January 7th, 2005 02:31 AM
IanBillen
I seen a report on the internet that someone spoke with Don Was and was asking him how the recording was going for the new album. The person said that Was would not give him hardly anything except that Mick, Keith, and Charlie had been at the sessions recording but that Ronnie had not yet been there as of yet but will be.
Gazza stated earlier that Woody had not been at the sessions in France according to what he has heard as well.

I found that strange and I was semi-concerned but Gazza (as well as many others)say that this is not strange and is common practice for the last few Stones Albums.

Just another tid-bit.

Ian
January 7th, 2005 11:45 AM
glencar Wow, they're giving the tix away!
January 7th, 2005 12:07 PM
Joey
quote:
F505 wrote:

It would be a miracle if the Stones make a record that stands comparison with Tattoo You, their last decent album.

If only Mick Taylor was in the studio with them ..............................

Yearning J ! ™

[ Edited by Fiji ]
[Edited by Joey]
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood