ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2005 Frank Trapper
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: greatest rock drummer? Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 5th, 2005 08:54 PM
rolling who Charlie? Moonie? Neil Peart? Stewart Copeland? Carter Beauford of Dave Matthews (he's good, folks...real good)? Danny Seraphine of Chicago? Bonzo Bonham? Ringo? Who, I ask ... Who?

January 5th, 2005 08:58 PM
Gazza MOON THE LOON

Aside from the usual suspects, some of whom youve mentioned above, I always liked Clem Burke of Blondie
[Edited by Gazza]
January 5th, 2005 09:07 PM
Riffhard Moon without question. Charlie rates very high as well. Also you did not list Carl Palmer from ELP. While I was neve a huge fan of ELP Carl could flat out beat the shit otta the skins.

Riffhard
January 5th, 2005 09:09 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Charlie Watts.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
January 5th, 2005 09:24 PM
gustavobala my...i vote CHUCK WATTS (someone remember? i thought every single day)
January 5th, 2005 10:05 PM
kath i remember.

keith moon was perfect for the who, i just wonder if he could have played with anybody else successfully....

charlie is the definitive rock drummer....and he puts in that little extra swing....

they get no better than charlie.
January 5th, 2005 10:06 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Moon without question. Charlie rates very high as well. Also you did not list Carl Palmer from ELP. While I was neve a huge fan of ELP Carl could flat out beat the shit otta the skins.

Riffhard

Yes one of the best, this is Carl and this voodoo during an interview I made with him and his band

January 5th, 2005 11:01 PM
Mr. D As far as guys who can fit in with any band and keep it going, Charlie is great, as is Stuart Copeland. But as far as talent goes and just sheer ability to drum, it's Moon, without a doubt.
January 5th, 2005 11:15 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I like more the drumming of Bonzo than Moonie the Loonie

One drummer I saw live long time ago at the Savoy in NYC with Al di Meola was Simon Phillips, I've never heard about him but I was looking more at him rather than Al.

Chester Thompson was great

What about Sly Dunbar...

The duet Pat Mastelotto and Bill Bruford

But the best and by far is STU!!

January 6th, 2005 12:05 AM
time is on my side Just more of the same- Charlie Watts, Moon (he could be inconsistant, especially in his later years, but when he was on may have the greatest drummer ever to see live) and definately Bonzo until his last year (saw him pass out on stage in 1980 - they had to cancel the show after only three songs)
January 6th, 2005 12:21 AM
Madafaka Gerardo, what a beautiful tie!
My fav is Charlie Watts. I like the way that he plays drums... Soooooooo calm...
January 6th, 2005 12:52 AM
seclusion Mitch Mitchell, the drummer for Blondie (can't think of his name), Charlie can't miss a beat, time keeper he was, and, of course, loud and obnoxious Keith Moon. voodoo, I am jealous that you were in the same room with Carl Palmer. ELP are very talented but I never really got into them... they went far and beyond my head. They're one of my husband's favorites and he says they put on the BEST of concerts.
January 6th, 2005 02:47 AM
Navin Apart from Charlie, Neal Smith
January 6th, 2005 03:28 AM
Pierre

January 6th, 2005 03:59 AM
beer Moon = even without the wild reputation, would be the best.

Dale Crover = 2nd best ever

imo
-

January 6th, 2005 04:58 AM
Jumping Jack Charlie keeps perfect time, but his heart is in jazz. Moon was pure rock and roll, with all the pluses and minuses.
January 6th, 2005 05:14 AM
J.J.Flash Ian Paice from Deep Purple should be on every fuckin' list above......

I love Charlie, but there are another names to add:
(not in any specific order)

Ginger Baker (Cream)
Ian Paice (Deep Purple)
Keith Moon (Who)
John Boham (Zep) (I just think he's good, but actually overrated)
Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)
Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix)
Neil Peart (Rush)

Of coure I missed someone....
January 6th, 2005 05:15 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Navin wrote:
Apart from Charlie, Neal Smith

Amen little fella, amen!
January 6th, 2005 07:24 AM
M.O.W.A.T. What about Phil Collins and Don Henley? LOL
January 6th, 2005 10:46 AM
Blind Dog McGhee So many good ones so I'll go with my favs, the two Chucks.

Watts and Biscuits.
January 6th, 2005 10:50 AM
telecaster Kenny Jones is up there in the Top 10

Didn't Simon Phillips play with The Who for a while?

January 6th, 2005 10:51 AM
Gazza yes..he did the 1989 tour with them
January 6th, 2005 10:54 AM
Joey
quote:
rolling who wrote:
Charlie? Moonie? Neil Peart? Stewart Copeland? Carter Beauford of Dave Matthews (he's good, folks...real good)? Danny Seraphine of Chicago? Bonzo Bonham? Ringo? Who, I ask ... Who?

www.KeithMoon.com

January 6th, 2005 10:55 AM
telecaster
quote:
Gazza wrote:
yes..he did the 1989 tour with them

He is damn good (Phillips)

He is no Karen Carpenter but who is?

Thanks for clearing that up Gazza

Didn't Simon LeBon play with Carly Simon?

Or was it Paul Simon?

Didn't Simon Templar play with someone?

Thanks
January 6th, 2005 10:55 AM
Joey
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Kenny Jones is up there in the Top 10

He drums like a ' Wind up Toy ' !
January 6th, 2005 11:05 AM
rolling who Thanks for the responses. Seems like Moonie and Charlie (not surprisingly) are the two favs.

My 2 cents: as much as I love The Who and love Moonie, he was very sloppy and non-technical. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing, since too many drummers are like programmed drum machines. But as someone earlier pointed out, Moonie wouldn't have been able to fit in with any other band but The Who. Oh, and by the time of 'Who Are You' and the Shepperton gigs, Moon could no longer play the drums.

Charlie is the ultimate time-keeper and is great, but certainly very limited. Still, something must be said for keeping beat for the greatest rock band in the world for over 40 years.

Bonzo Bonham is "Mr. Triplet" and was both powerful and technical, but ultimately a little too fancy at times. Guys like Neil Peart are tremendous but a little too robotical, if that's a word. Stewart Copeland had tremendous syncopation and is a great one. Carter Beauford is unbelievably powerful and technical and rhythmical. Mitch Mitchell is very Moon-like. I never thought much of Ginger Baker, but I may be in the minority on that one.

And Ringo, believe it or not, is very underrated. Just listen to 'Abbey Road' (and not just the "drum solo," either).
January 6th, 2005 11:21 AM
Jair I like Charlie, no one could be better to the Rolling Stones sound.

John Bonham use to be a real locomotive, love his style.

Other great drummer is Ralph Molina.

[Edited by Jair]
January 6th, 2005 11:29 AM
Martha John Bonham hands down. He had a gift. Check him out playing a solo on the Led Zeppelin DVD. I understand Bonzo would come in and lay down his drumming tracks once Pagey and crew had the song in motion. I think he is the best ROCK drummer, in the true sense of the word rock, that ever lived.

So far.

I was lucky to have gotten to see him once....he road those "golden drums" like a warrior. It was unlike anything I've ever seen before or since. I was 18 and mesmerized. It's emblazoned in my memory.
January 6th, 2005 11:32 AM
sirmoonie Keith Moon!
January 6th, 2005 11:51 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
rolling who wrote:
Thanks for the responses. Seems like Moonie and Charlie (not surprisingly) are the two favs.

My 2 cents: as much as I love The Who and love Moonie, he was very sloppy and non-technical. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing, since too many drummers are like programmed drum machines. But as someone earlier pointed out, Moonie wouldn't have been able to fit in with any other band but The Who. Oh, and by the time of 'Who Are You' and the Shepperton gigs, Moon could no longer play the drums.

Charlie is the ultimate time-keeper and is great, but certainly very limited. Still, something must be said for keeping beat for the greatest rock band in the world for over 40 years.

Bonzo Bonham is "Mr. Triplet" and was both powerful and technical, but ultimately a little too fancy at times. Guys like Neil Peart are tremendous but a little too robotical, if that's a word. Stewart Copeland had tremendous syncopation and is a great one. Carter Beauford is unbelievably powerful and technical and rhythmical. Mitch Mitchell is very Moon-like. I never thought much of Ginger Baker, but I may be in the minority on that one.

And Ringo, believe it or not, is very underrated. Just listen to 'Abbey Road' (and not just the "drum solo," either).

Come on...what about the one and only Ian Paice?
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood