ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2005 Frank Trapper
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: renaming Steel Wheels Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 4th, 2005 02:51 PM
Saint Sway I dont know what possessed me... but I decided to give "Steel Wheels" a spin. Its been ages since I've listened to it and, well...

IT IS HORRENDOUS. Garbage. Unlistenable. Embarrassing.

I am renaming it "Steel Coaster" because thats all its good for.

now I need a beer chaser and Sticky Fingers cranked at full volume to wash the horrible taste out of my mind
January 4th, 2005 02:55 PM
glencar Did you leave it playing until Break The Spell?
January 4th, 2005 03:00 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
Did you leave it playing until Break The Spell?

Yes. Good bluesy song. Obviously an outake from an earlier record.

anyway, I burned "Break The Spell" and "Hold Onto Your Hat" to my itunes folder prior to converting the cd to a beer coaster

I suggest anyone else in possession of "Steel Coaster" does the same.

cheers!
January 4th, 2005 04:13 PM
BILL PERKS FANTASTIC RECORD
January 4th, 2005 04:15 PM
Nellcote I'll second that motion Mr. Perks!
January 4th, 2005 04:50 PM
Gazza Considering what had preceded it plus the (at that time) unheard of three year gap between Stones albums which most people at the time would be indefinite, it was gladly received at the time.

I think the problem is that that 80's style digital sound has dated badly.

It's uneven, but has some genuinely great songs, like "Almost Hear You Sigh" and "Slipping Away".

And finally, "Continental Drift" is the greatest thing the Stones have done in the last three decades. A masterpiece.
January 4th, 2005 04:52 PM
glencar I still like Terrifying even though it's slightly dated.
January 4th, 2005 05:40 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Considering what had preceded it plus the (at that time) unheard of three year gap between Stones albums which most people at the time would be indefinite, it was gladly received at the time.

I think the problem is that that 80's style digital sound has dated badly.

It's uneven, but has some genuinely great songs, like "Almost Hear You Sigh" and "Slipping Away".

And finally, "Continental Drift" is the greatest thing the Stones have done in the last three decades. A masterpiece.

"Continental Drift" is the greatest thing the Stones have done in the last three decades. A masterpiece.

Agreed!!!!
January 4th, 2005 07:06 PM
Saint Sway my response to each and every pro-Steel Wheels post is simply this:
you are ______________ .

(fill in the black with the word of your choice that indicates someone who is lacking the where with all to notice that this record is ass)

thank you
[Edited by Saint Sway]
January 4th, 2005 07:58 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Yes. Good bluesy song. Obviously an outake from an earlier record.

anyway, I burned "Break The Spell" and "Hold Onto Your Hat" to my itunes folder prior to converting the cd to a beer coaster

I suggest anyone else in possession of "Steel Coaster" does the same.

cheers!

Nope. "Break the Spell" was one of the first songs written specifically for SW.
[Edited by Mel Belli]
January 4th, 2005 08:06 PM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
my response to each and every pro-Steel Wheels post is simply this:
you are retarded

and as it took you 15 years to figure out you hate it, that would suggest some degree of mental slowness on your part too
January 4th, 2005 08:28 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Nope. "Break the Spell" was one of the first songs written specifically for SW.
[Edited by Mel Belli]

aka as "Callgirl Blues" as Mick recalled in a 1989 NME interview. I debated this furiously with a certain "Marko" a buddy of the guys (Karnbach) who wrote IORR in 1997 and who wrongly gave this working title to "Cook Cook Blues" a working title in itself and that as not even recored in 89, but in 85 or maybe even 82 in Boulogne.

Yes what a gap that was after DW and Nick Kent's horrendous tales of the 85 sessions...I remember I couldn't believe my good fortune when I read the tracklisting in NME in early July of 89 after the Grand Station PC !
January 4th, 2005 10:17 PM
Nellcote Hey Saint Sway;
I have mentally challenged friends, I take umbrage to your comments. Clean it up, or take it to the Bay City Rollers Fan Site...
January 4th, 2005 10:59 PM
Madafaka I could be a retarded, but I really enjoy this cd, and I like the boots from that tour.
Mixed Emotions and Rock and a Hard Place were practically hits in Argentina.
Beside, Slipping Away is a great tune live!
Continental Drift, Sad Sad Sad... Ok! I'm a stupid!
January 4th, 2005 11:05 PM
steel wls Any real Stones fan likes this "comeback" album. No Steel Wheels - No Stones today. Mixed Emotions, Rock And A Hard Place, Almost Hear You Sigh, Slipping Away, Hearts For Sale are great songs. Especially Slipping Away.
January 4th, 2005 11:06 PM
Steel Wheels Steel Wheels is such a fun album. You can dance to it, sing along to it, drive to it. It has a nice one-two punch of Sad, Sad, Sad and Mixed Emotions. Good memories of hearing these songs and the video clips through the summer and fall of 1989...

Break The Spell has some great guitar. Almost Hear You Sigh - one of the best classical guitar solos I've ever heard. Keith is right on the money.

I have a really good stereo and cd player and this album always sounds great.
January 4th, 2005 11:10 PM
parmeda
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
I could be a retarded, but I really enjoy this cd, and I like the boots from that tour.
Mixed Emotions and Rock and a Hard Place were practically hits in Argentina.
Beside, Slipping Away is a great tune live!
Continental Drift, Sad Sad Sad... Ok! I'm a stupid!

That's okay M, you're in good company...I've been reguarded as a "loser" by Saint for praising Rod Stewart in another thread.

Makes me kinda wonder if this guy fucking enjoys anything other than hearing his own opinion
January 4th, 2005 11:24 PM
Navin This is a Stones site and most every one here have deep reverence for them above all.

And they are not really that interested in Chris Robinson or Izzy Stradlin solo records (Most anyone here would prefer that to Steel Wheels - for instance)
January 4th, 2005 11:46 PM
Madafaka
quote:
parmeda wrote:
That's okay M, you're in good company...I've been reguarded as a "loser" by Saint for praising Rod Stewart in another thread.

Makes me kinda wonder if this guy fucking enjoys anything other than hearing his own opinion

Ok Parmeda, we are together in this!
BTW, doesn't he like Rod Stewart either? What is the damned problem with this guy? I had the tickets in my hand when he suspended a concert in Buenos Aires and still think that is a brillant singer!
The question is... Can someone assure that this guy should have ears to the side of his head?
January 5th, 2005 05:18 AM
Zeeta Steel Wheels is a fucking rocking good album man!

The only problem it has is its production, which as Gazza states has aged very badly.

I mean Slipping Away is mint, as is Almost hear you sigh. But I like the amazing, almost brainless rockers such as Hold on to Your Hat and Sad x3 (not gas x3!), the classic FM friendly Mixed Emotions, Rock and a Hard Place and the coolest of cool (I don't care what you say I fuckin love it!) baddass tune of Can't Been Seen!
The tracks seem fairly edgy too its just a good album - it isn't like an Exile of nowt but I love it bar the production.

Love it!

January 5th, 2005 12:04 PM
jb A truly horrendous album ...
January 5th, 2005 12:06 PM
Zeeta No, it's good turd boy! At least give a critique!!

Or do you prefer "Pan-Pipe Moods of Israel"!?
January 5th, 2005 12:51 PM
jb [quote]Zeeta wrote:
No, it's good turd boy! At least give a critique!!

Or do you prefer "Pan-Pipe Moods of Israel"!?
[/quote aLMOST HEAR YOU SIGH IS ABOUT THE ONLY GOOD THING TO COME OUT OF THAT..AND AS ONE POINTED OUT, THE VIDEO LOOKS LIKE A BUNCH OF MIDDLE AGED MEN TRYING TO ACT YOUNG..VERY EMBARRASSING.....
January 5th, 2005 02:10 PM
lotsajizz a truly bad album but 'Hold On To Your Hat' is good
January 6th, 2005 11:40 AM
Saint Sway first, apologies to Nellcote. I I've edited my earlier post.

quote:
parmeda wrote:

Parmeda, if you look back at that thread you'll see that I never called you a loser. I'm truly sorry if you misconstrued my comments about how much I think Rod Stewart blows into thinking I was personally insulting you. That wasnt the intentions of my post.

I just think Rod Stewart has become really, really lame. In fact his over produced, glossy, cookie-cutter wanna-be radio hits are right in line with the music on Steel Wheels. So I can see why I'm reading in this post that people that like Steel Wheels would also be fans of someone whose put out "Love Touch", "Young Turks", "Lost In You" and "Some Guys Have All The Luck". Its all the same crap IMO. Thing is, is that I hold the Stones to a much, much higher standard than Rod Stewart. So I find Steel Wheels to be such a huge dissapointment. I was psyched when it came out and I loved the tour (still do) but the record just no longer holds up for me. The records that predated it - Dirty Work & Talk Is Cheap - and the album that followed it - Voodoo Lounge - have much more true Stones style rock songs on them than anywhere on Steel Wheels. Today, the record seems so out of left field for the Stones. It really pains me to listen to it. I just cringe.

But music is subjective. To each their own.

peace
January 6th, 2005 01:56 PM
LadyJane I'm listening to SW right now and it sounds just fine to me. Better than Bridges, IMHO.

LJ.
January 6th, 2005 01:57 PM
jb
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I'm listening to SW right now and it sounds just fine to me. Better than Bridges, IMHO.

LJ.

January 6th, 2005 01:58 PM
LadyJane Hey..you be quiet..emoticon-boy. I just paid you a nice compliment in the "What are you reading thread?"

LJ.
Fellow Dem.
January 6th, 2005 02:13 PM
jb
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Hey..you be quiet..emoticon-boy. I just paid you a nice compliment in the "What are you reading thread?"

LJ.
Fellow Dem.

Howe's Matt?
January 6th, 2005 02:17 PM
LadyJane First of all you can keep "Blinded by Love."

Matt has been out of the loop for a long, long time. I believe he may have made the transition.

LJ.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood