ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2005 Frank Trapper
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Billy's songs 1975-76 Return to archive
January 4th, 2005 02:40 PM
Lil Brian How did Billy's songs get included during these tours? Personally, I'd rather of heard a couple more Stones tracks but it does show the love and respect (I suppose)that they had for his music. Have they ever done anything like this before or since?
January 4th, 2005 10:19 PM
stonedinaustralia forget the love and respect - apparently it was in the contract

no two songs from billy = no billy
January 5th, 2005 12:23 AM
mac_daddy drugs.

u gotta bump up for the home stretch, keef and mick bailed, got high, and let billy play...
January 5th, 2005 01:03 AM
stonedinaustralia hey mac_d - i'm pretty sure my explanation is correct - it was a contractual thing

and i also recall that keith and ronnie were all set up on stage for nose powdering - the required powders neatly layed out on the top of their amps (i read that the bokris book, i think)

btw - all the best for the new year

January 5th, 2005 01:23 AM
T&A Billy was hotter on the singles charts than were the Stones. It also gave a MJ a chance for a blow....
January 5th, 2005 02:56 AM
beer And who could forget the dreaded "Cock Dance"?

Absolutely fuelled by cocaine.

Wasn't Mr. Preston was arrestod in the '90's for mollesting small mexican boys? I thimk he referred to them as "taquitos".

-
January 5th, 2005 06:40 AM
glencar Geez, and didn't Waddy Wachtel have something to do with little girls? What is it with Rock & Pedophilia?
January 5th, 2005 10:08 AM
Lil Brian
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
...apparently it was in the contract

thanks stonedinaustralisa, I wasn't aware it was written in. How did they hook up with Billy in the first place? Was it studio work? While his contribution during the '75-76 tours was IMO sometimes overboard, Brown and Preston added interest musically to the shows in a way that Bernard, Chuck, etc. don't now. No offense, just boring.
January 5th, 2005 10:11 AM
telecaster
quote:
beer wrote:

Wasn't Mr. Preston was arrestod in the '90's for mollesting small mexican boys? I thimk he referred to them as "taquitos".

-

Not sure about that but he sure as hell was in trouble after he burned his house down to collect the insurance money

January 5th, 2005 11:56 AM
T&A Waddy's was a trumped up charge...later thrown out. he's cool.
January 5th, 2005 12:14 PM
gustavobala in the pass, i don't billy song's, but now i like it

he plays

76 tour - nothing to nothing - i don't like
75 tour - that's life - cooooooool
75 and 76 tour - outta space - cooooooool

i understand stones's fans who don't like it, but i like so much american soul music, then i like it!

well, someone have billy preston cd to trade?????????
January 5th, 2005 12:37 PM
Lil Brian
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
well, someone have billy preston cd to trade?????????

Not yet but I might go get one.

January 5th, 2005 01:41 PM
Lil Brian
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
no two songs from billy = no billy

He had THAT kind of clout with the Stones 30 years ago? To basically demand time for his own tunes in the middle of set by the Rolling Stones? That's amazing.
January 5th, 2005 07:25 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
How did they hook up with Billy in the first place?
might have been professional envy - billy was the beatles' keyboardist in the studio...

hey sia - thanks for the greetings. i hope your holiday season went well, and a belated "happy new year" backatcha i am sure you are correct, and that including the billy tunes in the setlist was stipulated in the contract, but i am also pretty sure that mick and keef took advantage of the time offstage. those 1975 shows were alot longer in duration than the gigs the stones had played previously...

hadnt heard about waddy - when did all that go down..?

[Edited by mac_daddy]
January 5th, 2005 08:09 PM
glencar Mac Dad - the Waddy stuff ahppened in '98 or so. I've tried a google/yahoo search but no mention of what happened.
January 5th, 2005 08:11 PM
glencar BTW I owe you some CDr's for the Sex thing. I can't read your writing (sorry!) so if you want to PM or email me the info, I'll send you that DW outtakes CD & some blanks. Thanks for all your work. It's a great sounding set. Thanks to marko the finn too!
January 6th, 2005 08:43 AM
Lil Brian
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
billy was the beatles' keyboardist in the studio...
[Edited by mac_daddy]

In '75-76? I'll bet those are some fairly collectable recordings! ;-)

I think I owe you some discs too, from the Tattoo Boards tree. That sure turned out to be a winner! Any news or rumours about more of those surfacing anytime soon?

January 6th, 2005 09:12 AM
hardnox

Billy is more invollved with many RS Albums, even the latest ones.
Man, can he play..!!!!. The guy is sick though, the good life have made his liver a bit bigger.
January 6th, 2005 08:11 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Lil Brian wrote:

In '75-76? I'll bet those are some fairly collectable recordings! ;-)

billy played on their studio stuff - let it be, white album, etc...
January 7th, 2005 06:58 PM
jpenn11
quote:
glencar wrote:
BTW I owe you some CDr's for the Sex thing.

Payment in CDr's these days?

Billy opened for the Stones in '73 with MT on lead, then stayed on to wail his synth through the Stones set. Argh--I really disliked the synth work on that tour. Even with his fine organ and piano playing, don't know why they abandoned Nicky Hopkins for Billy P though. My guess is that they anticipated needing to backstop KR, which is what Billy did on vocals in 75.

There was an official release of Billy's set with Mick T, which is probably still in print. Let It Be and Day Tripper, I think, were on it.

As for Billy in 75, the videos show KR on the stage during Billy's songs. Jagger disappears for a while, but returns to do his prom/mating-ritual dance with Billy. Argh II.

Did Billy do anything on Stones albums pre-I Got the Blues?
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood