ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2005 Frank Trapper
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: woody to play benefit concert Return to archive
January 3rd, 2005 03:35 PM
moy Today's Sunday Mirror published an exclusive scoop that organizers in Ireland are putting together two massive concerts to benefit Asian tsunami victims, and that members of The Cranberries may be asked to perform.

While most of the details are still not finalized, the massive benefit concert will be split between a Republic-sponsored Dublin concert and a UK-sponsored Belfast concert. Organizers would ideally like to see U2 headline the benefit concert. A host of other A-list artists to be invited to perform include Westlife, Brian Kennedy, Girls Aloud, The Corrs, Enya, Van Morrison, Daniel O'Donnell, The Undertones, Ash, Samantha Mumba, The Thrills, Christie Moore, Ronan Keating, and The Cranberries. Also invited are Irish-rooted acts Lisa Stansfield, Joe Elliott and Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones.

The article states that only a few artists have been contacted thus far, but that the interest has been "very, very positive." If the Cranberries accept, they will play in Dublin. No date has been announced, but this would be pivitol, as Dolores is due to give birth in March.

The Irish government has already pledged 10 million Euro while the UK has pledged £50 million to sponsor such a gig, though the proceeds raised are expected to be much greater.

The concert will also be simultaneously broadcasted by the BBC and RTE. Pop star Dana, who came up the idea for the concerts, tells the Sunday Mirror: "I spoke on the phone to RTE Director General Cathal Goan and Mike Edgar at the BBC in Belfast last Friday and they were both very receptive to the idea. What we have in mind here is staging two concerts, one in Dublin, the other in Belfast in a hands-across-the-border co-operation style with both shows being broadcast on BBC and RTE simultaneously."

Further details on concert venues are expected to be decided by next week.

Source: Sunday Mirror (Ireland)
http://www.zombieguide.com/cnews987.php
January 3rd, 2005 03:47 PM
Maxlugar I hope it's a benefit to clean up Mick Taylor and return him to his rightfull place as lead guiatrist for the Rolling Stones.

January 3rd, 2005 03:59 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
moy wrote:
Also invited are Irish-rooted acts Lisa Stansfield, Joe Elliott and Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones.

I hope Woody & Joe Elliott perform "Always Wanted More". I luv that tune. Great song.

btw... U2 isnt headlining this? Anyone else find that strange? Arent they usually first in line for these shows?
January 3rd, 2005 04:18 PM
glencar I too lurve "Always Wanted More." I hope that when this comes to pass that DVDs are made available. BTW If Dolores O'Riordan is too pregnant perhaps they could sub Sheena Easton. I just saw her on Graham Norton & she's still alive & kicking.
January 3rd, 2005 04:19 PM
glencar U2 is too busy with the African stuff. It's someone else's turn.
January 3rd, 2005 11:16 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I hope Ronnie to attend, please keep us informed Gazza
January 4th, 2005 04:31 AM
Gazza I've just read this post and it's the first I've heard of it.

The list of possible artists is ludicrous paper-gossip - they've basically just listed everyone in Ireland who has made a record, regardless of genre. The idea of grannies' favourite Daniel o'Donnell playing at the same show as Ash or a (reformed) Undertones is too nonsensical and surreal for words.

Sitting through a few hours of that lot sounds like a fate worse than death.
[Edited by Gazza]
January 4th, 2005 04:32 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
I too lurve "Always Wanted More." I hope that when this comes to pass that DVDs are made available. BTW If Dolores O'Riordan is too pregnant perhaps they could sub Sheena Easton. I just saw her on Graham Norton & she's still alive & kicking.

Sheena's Scottish, however. Anything's better than Dolores O'Riordan, though. She has a voice like a hyena in labour.
[Edited by Gazza]
January 4th, 2005 06:24 AM
glencar Yes but she looks like D O'R & isn't that all that matters?
January 4th, 2005 10:56 AM
jb
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
I hope it's a benefit to clean up Mick Taylor and return him to his rightfull place as lead guiatrist for the Rolling Stones.

Amen Max------------------------------------>
January 4th, 2005 11:57 AM
kath i've never actually heard a hyena in labor, but i bet it really is quite annoying....for both the listener AND the hyena....
January 4th, 2005 04:20 PM
Nellcote Enough of the Mick Taylor Love Fest, for Christ sakes!
BRING ON RON WOOD!!!
January 5th, 2005 09:57 PM
littleredrooster
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
I hope it's a benefit to clean up Mick Taylor and return him to his rightfull place as lead guiatrist for the Rolling Stones.

Yessssssssss!
That would be beneficial, indeed !
January 6th, 2005 03:29 PM
caro I don't know what to think of this... I read this on the mj.com board :

quote:
MarianneD Today, 07:11 PM Post #1
"I just heard on "Extra" that Willie Nelson is organizing a benefit for the tsunami victims and U2 and the Stones were mentioned as possible performers.
Hey - Mick & Keith did it for us at the 9/11 Concert for NYC - I'm sure they'd like to help out now too. "

Then I browsed yahoo news, and the articles I found sound like the list of performers is more or less definitive (and without Stones) :

quote:
Willie Nelson To Headline Austin Concert For Tsunami Victims

1 hour, 48 minutes ago Local - KEYE

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Willie Nelson headlines a benefit concert for the relief effort for victims of the earthquake and tsunami that battered dozens of Indian Ocean countries.

The tsunamis triggered by a December 26th undersea tremor off the Indonesian island of Sumatra left more than 150 thousand people dead in 11 countries.

The "Tsunami Relief Austin to South Asia" concert is planned for the Austin Music Hall on Sunday night. Patty Griffin, Spoon, Joe Ely, Alejandro Escovedo, Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis and the Geezinslaws are among the scheduled acts.

Musician Michael Hall is organizing the event. He says the concert will feature several full bands -- including a reunion of Joe Ely's classic 1980s rock band featuring David Grissom on guitar and Lloyd Maines on steel.

All the acts are donating their talents. Proceeds are to go to the Red Cross, UNICEF (news - web sites) and Doctors Without Borders (news - web sites).

So I'm wondering if maybe the journalist from "Extra" (whatever that is) confused the Irish benefit with the Willie Nelson show? Or maybe (certainly) he was just trying to sex up the story?
In other words, it would be delusional to consider there's a chance of the Stones making a surprise appearance, right?
Anyway, good to see that there's so many benefits being planned.
January 6th, 2005 05:26 PM
Gazza you'll probably find every country or genre has some story about someone 'hoping' to do a benefit and the journalists will mention every act under the sun in the hope that they'll strike it lucky with one of them.

I did see an announcement in a local paper about a benefit show a couple of days ago. It was on a much smaller scale than the show the Sunday Mirror mentioned and the 'line up' consisted of a couple of dozen local acts, most of whom I have never heard of.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood