ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Everybody seems to be ready... Are you ready?

© Baron Wolman, from the 40x20 Exhibition, now on world tour!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bee Gees' Maurice Gibb Dies at Age 53 (NSC) Return to archive
01-12-03 07:25 AM
FotiniD From Yahoo News:

Bee Gees' Maurice Gibb Dies at Age 53
10 minutes ago

By JOHN PAIN, Associated Press Writer

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. - Maurice Gibb, a member of the famed disco band the Bee Gees, died Sunday at a Miami Beach hospital, his family said. He was 53.

Gibb, who joined with his older brother and his twin to harmonize their way to becoming one of the best selling musical groups ever, suffered cardiac arrest before undergoing emergency surgery for a blocked intestine. He was admitted to Mount Sinai Medical Center Wednesday and underwent surgery Thursday.

"To our extended family friends and fans, with great sadness and sorrow we regretfully announce the passing of Maurice Gibb this morning," Gibb's family said in a statement. "His love, enthusiasm and energy for life remain an inspiration to all of us. We will all deeply miss him."

Gibb played bass and keyboard for the group, whose name is short for the Brothers Gibb.

In a 1978 interview with TG Magazine, Gibb lamented the perception that the Bee Gees were only a disco band.

"People accuse us of being nothing more than a disco band now," Gibb said. "But they don't know what they're talking about. If you listen to our records, you'll find that there's dance music. But there are also ballads like `More Than A Woman.' And there are some very beautiful, undanceable songs, too."

The Bee Gees — twins Maurice and Robin, and their older brother Barry — have lived in South Florida since the late 1970s. Their younger brother, Andy, who had a successful solo career, died in 1988 at age 30 from a heart ailment.

Chris Hutchins, a writer and former press agent for the Bee Gees, said Maurice was "very much a tormented soul."

"He was not the star (of the Bee Gees), and he knew it, he felt it," Hutchins told British Broadcasting Corp. radio.

Known for their close harmonies and original sound, the Bee Gees are members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and their 1977 contributions to the "Saturday Night Fever" album made it the best selling movie soundtrack ever with more than 40 million copies sold.

Among their disco hits on that album are "Stayin' Alive," "More Than a Woman" and "How Deep Is Your Love," and "Night Fever."

The group won seven Grammy Awards. The Bee Gees last album was in 2001, entitled "This Is Where I Came In."

The family emigrated from England to Australia in 1958, and the brothers soon gained fame as a teen pop group.

They returned to England in the 1960s, and their first four albums contained hits such as "1941 New York Mining Disaster," "To Love Somebody," and their first U.S. number one song, 1971's "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart."

The Bee Gees followed "Saturday Night Fever" with the 1978 album "Spirits Having Flown" which sold 20 million copies.

The brothers wrote and produced songs for Barbara Streisand, Diana Ross and Dionne Warwick in the 1980s. They also wrote the Kenny Rogers (news) and Dolly Parton (news) hit "Islands in the Stream."

The Bee Gees released three studio albums and went on a world tour in the 1990s. The live album from the tour "One Night Only," sold more than 1 million albums in the United States.

The Bee Gees run a music production company in Miami called Middle Ear Studios.

Gibb's first wife was British singer Lulu. He and his second wife, Yvonne, were married for more than 20 years and had two children.

-------------

I always kind of hated disco, but I always remember listening to Bee Gees songs as a kid - my parents loved them. And one of their latest songs, "This is where I came in" was so different than anything else I'd heard before by them... Well, it's very sad Condolences to the family.
01-12-03 08:58 AM
mattb This is sad. The Bee Gees are quite popular all over the world. They have had many hits and were much a part of the music scene in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Maurice helped bring joy and happiness to many, many people.
01-12-03 11:18 AM
T&A very sad, indeed. I've always enjoyed their music - particularly the sixties stuff.
01-12-03 12:15 PM
Factory Girl Yes, I've been a Bee Gees fan for some time. They did Disco the best and their harmonies were just beautiful. He's with Andy now. I'm very sad. I listened the to Bee Gees last night and will again today. Ironically, their music has always been so happy.

I remember sneaking into Saturday Night Fever when I was 13.

R.I.P Maurice Gibb. Thanks for all the wonderful music.
01-12-03 12:43 PM
Martha

I LOVE the Bee Gees early stuff...what a sad day.

R.I.P. Maurice
01-12-03 01:08 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Ehh... never been a fan of the Beegees. Ah well. Still sad that the guy died, though.

-tSYX --- Arrrrrmania, City in the sky...
01-12-03 01:41 PM
Prodigal Son Yes, it is sad. But I always hated the Bee Gees music. Nonetheless, it's a tragic day for them. Officially, the Bee Gees are finished. They can't go on minus a brother.
01-12-03 01:52 PM
Factory Girl Prodigal Son, you shouldn't say "I hate the Bee Gees" today. Its in bad taste and it sounds mean-spirited. Just really bad timing on your part.
01-12-03 02:03 PM
Prodigal Son Oh, I know, I should rephrase that. I meant to say I really don't care for their music and it doesn't mean that much to me (unlike Strummer's death) but it is still a tragic thing that happened suddenly. Maurice will be welcomed into rock n' roll heaven.
01-12-03 02:10 PM
Highwire Rob You Win Again -- I've liked that song ever since I first heard it. They do have some kick-ass melodies, not just disco. I'm definitely going to buy their double cd: "Greatest Hits: The Record." This covers their whole hit-making career.

I'm saddened by the loss...
01-12-03 02:14 PM
Factory Girl Highwire Rob, I their "Greatest Hits" and its very very nice. I also have "One Night Only" (Live cd)-which is also excellent.
01-12-03 02:59 PM
sasca Many of the groups sixties songs were beautiful -'Holiday'; 'I Started a Joke' etc. and though disco is not my favourite genre, I like it when it's good. And Stayin' Alive' is very good indeed.

I wonder if Robin and Barry will continue as the BeeGees. Barry and Maurice played as the BeeGees without Robin in the early seventies.
01-12-03 04:39 PM
gypsy I love my Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.
01-13-03 07:51 AM
Factory Girl Gypsy, I would like to recommend Bee Gees' Greatest Hits-the Record. I think you'll love it.
01-13-03 10:29 AM
jb Why couldn't this be Macca? It's a big local news story down here as they resided on Star Island and were very active in the South Florida community.....My condolences to those of you who seem quite touched by his tragic death.
01-13-03 11:47 AM
Martha
Entertainment
Full Story 01/13/2003  10:50:35 EST

Maurice Gibb's Brothers Fault Doctors
By ADRIAN SAINZ
Associated Press Writer

The surviving members of the disco sensation Bee Gees criticized doctors' treatment of their bandmate and brother Maurice Gibb, who died while undergoing emergency surgery.

Robin and Barry Gibb claimed mistakes were made by Mount Sinai Medical Center doctors, where Maurice Gibb was operated on for an intestinal blockage. He died Sunday after suffering heart attack before the operation.

"We believe mistakes were made and time was wasted," Robin Gibb told the British Broadcasting Corp. Sunday.

They questioned whether it was necessary to operate on Maurice, 53, when he was in a state of cardiac arrest. He had been admitted to the hospital four days earlier.

"We're both devastated. We've actually been in shock for the last few days since Maurice was taken ill, and so this has all gone too fast for us," Robin Gibb told the BBC. "It's like a nightmare that you wake up to every day. That's all we can say. It's just devastating. It's going to take a long time even just for it to sink in."

Hospital spokeswoman Kathleen Dorkowski said she could not comment on the allegations because of patient privacy laws.

Meanwhile, fans sent flowers to the hospital and the brothers' homes in England, said Pete Bassett, a spokesman for Barry Gibb.

"He was a truly talented artist and a wonderful man full of wit and passion for life," Bee Gees manager Allen Kovac said in a statement.

The Bee Gees, short for the Brothers Gibb - twins Maurice and Robin, and older brother Barry - were known for their tight, high harmonies and original sound. Their younger brother, Andy, who had a successful solo career, died in 1988 at age 30 from a heart ailment.

The brothers had nine No. 1 songs, wrote dozens of hits for other artists, and sold more than 110 million records - placing them fifth in pop history behind Elvis Presley, the Beatles, Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney.

The group's contributions to the "Saturday Night Fever" album in 1977 made it the best selling movie soundtrack ever, with more than 40 million copies sold.

The Bee Gees became members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and won seven Grammy Awards.

Maurice Gibb, a recovering alcoholic who played bass and keyboard for the band, once lamented how some perceived the Bee Gees, best known for hits like "Stayin' Alive," simply as a disco phenomenon.

"People accuse us of being nothing more than a disco band now," Gibb said in a 1978 interview with TG Magazine. "But they don't know what they're talking about. If you listen to our records, you'll find that there's dance music. But there are also ballads like `More Than A Woman.' And there are some very beautiful, undanceable songs, too."

Gibb's first wife was British singer Lulu. He and his second wife, Yvonne, were married for more than 20 years and had two children.

Copyright 2003 Associated Press
01-13-03 12:45 PM
Factory Girl Thanks, Martha. The circumstances looked suspicious to me also. Meaning this-why a reasonably healthy 53 year old male go into cardiac arrest?
01-13-03 01:11 PM
lucasd4
quote:
jb wrote:
Why couldn't this be Macca? It's a big local news story down here as they resided on Star Island and were very active in the South Florida community.....My condolences to those of you who seem quite touched by his tragic death.

Wishing Paul dead....more proof that you're an idiot...
01-13-03 01:47 PM
gypsy That is sad, Martha. Thanks for posting that info.

Yeah, jb is such a dumbass...which he has proved over & over again with his rude and illiterate posts.
01-13-03 06:28 PM
Prodigal Son Well, maybe not perfectly healthy, but he definitely died so quickly. My grandpa died in 1982 from a mere kidney mishap. The doctors forgot to tape his legs down after an operation to remove stones. Therefore, a clot formed in his legs and cut off circulation causing cardiac arrest. Thanks to careless medical procedures like the one thank killed Maurice, I never even met my maternal grandfather. Best wishes to the Brothers Gibb in light of the circumstances. BTW, this is not a pity thing, just a more close-to-home experience I can mention.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
01-13-03 11:38 PM
Bluzian What I didnt' know was that Maurice was once married to
Lulu!?!??

who did Twiggy end up marrying??

01-14-03 11:40 AM
Joey I am not sure about all of that , but weren't the Bee Gee's on the Eve of a world tour this year ????????

Think of all the money he missed out on ---- THAT'S the true " Tragedy " here my Brother .................Get it ??????? Tragedy !!!!!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh , Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ....Barf !

And now , in honor of AMC airing " The Deer Hunter " in its entirety this evening ( 7:00 CDT ) , I prersent THIS :

Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo *** Man it's hot in here ***** Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo {{JOE}} Jo Joesy

Joesy Cong !

01-14-03 11:42 AM
Nellcote Joey, do you think Pete wishes he was Maurice?
01-14-03 11:48 AM
Joey " Joey, do you think Pete wishes he was Maurice? "

Nah , this will " BLOW OVER " soon ..................Iraq , remember !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides , billionaires like Townshend never do time !

" Got any Candy Ronnie ? "

J. Fly BOY

01-14-03 12:07 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Thanks, Martha. The circumstances looked suspicious to me also. Meaning this-why a reasonably healthy 53 year old male go into cardiac arrest?

The first thing I thought of was the way Andy Warhol died. Very similar. However, the details I read of Maurice's intestinal ailment made it seem like that would have done him in - gangrene had set in, and instead of the usual 25 feet of healthy intestines, he had about two. So he wasn't "reasonably healthy". Still, this sad case underlines the health care crisis which is perhaps THE most crucial issue in America - millions of people who can't afford ANY care, and millions of dollars being unable to assure one of first-rate care.

FG, please read my post over at Gas X3 "Last Thoughts on Maurice Gibb".
01-14-03 12:17 PM
Joey " Still, this sad case underlines the health care crisis which is perhaps THE most crucial issue in America - millions of people who can't afford ANY care, and millions of dollars being unable to assure one of first-rate care. "

<------------ Damn Straight ! Hillary Clinton in 2004 !

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

01-14-03 01:40 PM
Factory Girl Hey, FPM- we're cool, we were always cool. I did respond to your post.
01-14-03 02:04 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Joey wrote:

<------------ Damn Straight ! Hillary Clinton in 2004 !

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never know if you're kidding or not - but I would vote for Hillary in a second. Hell, I'd vote for Bill again. I wish either one of them was in charge now.

FG wrote:

Hey, FPM- we're cool, we were always cool.

That's good. I thought about how mad I would've been if anyone would've said "John Lennon? That Walls and Bridges album SUCKED!" on Dec.9, 1980. And I thought maybe I oughta rethink.
01-14-03 02:06 PM
Joey " I never know if you're kidding or not - but I would vote for Hillary in a second. Hell, I'd vote for Bill again. I wish either one of them was in charge now. "

Fleabit , I would like to nuzzle you .

{{{{{{{ JOEY CARSON }}}}}}}}}}

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST