ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Everybody seems to be ready... Are you ready?

© Baron Wolman, from the 40x20 Exhibition, now on world tour!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Pittsburgh setlist, reviews and pix Return to archive
01-10-03 11:31 PM
sirmoonie From Stonesdoug's

1. Street Fighting Man
2. Start Me Up
3. If You Can't Rock Me
4. Don't Stop
5. Monkey Man
6. Angie
7. Live With Me
8. Let It Bleed
9. Midnight Rambler
10. Tumbling Dice
11. Slipping Away
12. Happy
13. Gimme Shelter
14. You Got Me Rocking
15. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
16. Honkey Tonk Women
17. Satisfaction

B-Stage
18. It's Only R & R
19. Like A Rolling Stone
20. Brown Sugar

Main Stage
21. Jumping Jack Flash

01-10-03 11:45 PM
Martha
Thanks for posting the set-list sirmoonie. I didn't make this one after all.... but am waiting to hear from deadmancum, who made it all the way from Arcata, CA to the show tonight. He got a floor seat ticket by the B stage at the box office only an hour or so before the show.....!

Oh Yeah.....keep the faith!
01-11-03 01:49 AM
HardKnoxDurtySox I was at the Pittsburgh show tonight and had a very interesting time. We got screwed on Ticketmaster back in June and had to settle for obstructed view on the side but the view wasn’t really that bad at all. That wasn’t good enough for us though so we snuck past the usher and found ourselves a private box that just happened to be vacant. After two songs (SFM and Start me Up) however, we were told to go to hell. I don’t know what tipped them off….maybe it was the sight of people actually shaking their arses in a box. Anyway the show was awsome. It was a LIB theme. Rambler brought the house down and Let it Bleed sounded great even though Mick mixed up the verses.
Looking back, I’m just thankful Ive gotten to see the Stones a couple of times (my first couple of times) on this tour. Tonights show was great and I’m still in awe over what took place in Roseland back in September. I even got to take my Dad to this show which was cool since it was him that got me into them in the first place. Thanks guys, I definatly have some memories to last me a long time.
01-11-03 08:55 AM
LadyJane Here's a review:

Rolling Stones fans get some satisfaction

Saturday, January 11, 2003

By Ed Masley, Post-Gazette Pop Music Critic

Even after all these years, it's only rock 'n' roll. And yet, there is a bit of rocket science involved in constructing the ultimate set list for the Rolling Stones 40th Anniversary tour -- a list that gives the casual fans the hits they came to hear while throwing in enough obscurities (or songs that weren't on "40 Licks," at least) to keep the real fans coming back for more.

And while they could have used another song or two (or even four) from any album leading up to "Beggars Banquet," last night's set at the Mellon Arena struck a pretty decent balance between the songs that everybody knows and the obscurities while keeping the number of songs that no one really needs to hear again to a refreshing minimum.

Keith Richards hit the stage first, slashing his way through the intro to "Street Fighting Man" with a look that said he knew he had you at "Hello" -- a great way to open a show, especially if you're a band that's got at least another couple hundred classic tracks to draw on. But the show got better as the band began to loosen up and get into the music themselves. Even Mick Jagger, whose movements seemed overly mannered at first, was dancing like a guy who felt it -- and how could anyone not feel it with Charlie Watts practically daring certain portions of your body not to shake it? -- by the time he got "Midnight Rambler." Of course, by then, the show had a life of its own on the strength of such well-chosen treasures as "Monkey Man," "Live With Me," a surprisingly intimate "Angie" and the boozy, bluesy swagger of the title track to "Let It Bleed."

The set drew heavily on "Let It Bleed" and other midperiod classics, including both "Exile on Main Street" and their finest hour, "Beggars Banquet." And those songs are exactly the sort of material the band excels at, even after all these years. Now if only Keith and Mick could be persuaded to crank out an album or two of new songs in the spirit that so moves them as performers. Not that "Don't Stop" didn't sound good. It just wasn't "Gimme Shelter," an obvious highlight for obvious reasons, from the staying power of the song itself to a blistering solo from Richards and the sex appeal of super-vixen Lisa Fisher belting out the chorus.

Joining Fisher in the Stones support group were a number of familiar faces -- sax man Bobby Keys, keyboardist Chuck Leavell and former Beach Boy Blondie Chaplin, who, like ex-Face Ronnie Wood, looked every bit as cool as any member of the Strokes.

Other highlights ranged from the band stretching out on an epic performance of "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" to "Tumbling Dice," "Happy" and "Honky Tonk Women." And if Jagger seemed a bit like he was back at work on "Satisfaction," the rest of the band put it out with a youthful abandon that made it feel like something they'd just whipped up at rehearsal, especially Woodie and Keith, whose fire-breathing solo was enough to make you hope he plays until his fingers fall off, long after his kids have forgotten the Vines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like another great night!!

LadyJ.
[Edited by LadyJane]
01-11-03 09:12 PM
Angiegirl Here are some Pittsburgh pix from RS.com (all by Jake Cohl):

Hope they weren't posted somwhere else already...

Angiegirl

[Edited by Angiegirl]
01-12-03 03:19 AM
Highwire Rob Thanks Angiegirl for posting those!

Those images are permitting the Friday evening electrifying experience to pleasantly linger in my memory!

That night, concertgoers sought the shelter of Pittsburgh's Igloo (Mellon Arena) to escape the wind-chill and heavy snow that fell as show time neared.

And what chills we had witnessing Midnight Rambler performed as if somehow we had all been transported back in time to the original live recording! On Gi’mme Shelter, the haunting melody had the effect of making us feel that our arena was a montage scene from the infamous film! Lisa Fisher hit those vocal notes like nobody’s business—the audience fervently responded. You Got Me Rockin’ followed and kept the crowd's participation with the song’s call and response “hey-de-heys.”

The entire performance was faultless as far as I’m concerned. The Stones really do know how to consistently turn it on and make everything sound so fresh in whatever city they may be in. And this extends to the rapport that the band members have with the audience. I have a new appreciation for Ronnie and his masterful playing: his CYHMK solo and electric slide on Happy (spinning around on his seat!) to name just two examples.

The small stage set of IORR, Like A Rolling Stone, and Brown Sugar was especially a treat. How do they maintain their composure when all those garments and trinkets are being tossed on the small stage? Not just composure—they were downright having fun: at one point while they’re playing, Ronnie picks up a rather large brassiere on the floor in front of him and wears it with a smile as an eggshell hat! Keith, just to Ronnie’s left sees a black thong, picks it up and, after brief inspection, promptly stuffs it in his back pocket as a keepsake! And they do this all without missing a note. Their showman antics were hilarious on top of their musical brilliance. The ticket was worth every penny. I only hope I will get to see them perform live again.

--Rob.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
01-13-03 11:51 AM
100 Years Ago Pittsburgh,what a great place to see the Stones! Saw my first Stones show there in '89, on my b'day what a fuckin' introduction to the band live. Caught the Cleveland show that year as well, one of the perks of my short-lived radio career. I saw 'em in '94, '98 and recently in SA, where they kicked it up another notch in terms of great live perfomances.
01-13-03 12:31 PM
Busch1 Great show! Traveled down the pike from Philly, and got floor seats in Sec. 4, row B two hours before the show. It was looking tight for a while there, but then TM opened up some seats.
What a show, and what a venue! The Mellon is the best arena I've ever seen a show in, and that includes MSG. They were great, the sound was unbelievable - every note was clear and discernable. Mix was perfect! I'll go back to Pittsburgh in a second to see another show.
01-13-03 05:37 PM
CS Stones get their 'licks' in at Arena show

Guitarists Ron Wood, left, and Keith Richards obviously were Happy to be in Pittsburgh Friday evening. (Kathi A. Wilcox)

Who: The Rolling Stones
Where: Mellon Arena
Go ahead. Make jokes about intravenous drips on the mike stands and AARP discounts on concert tickets. Make plenty of references to "Steel Wheelchairs." And don't forget the one about them playing Mellon Arena only because the dinosaur hall at The Carnegie already had been booked for a Boy Scout field trip.

Go on. Laugh it up. It's OK; the Rolling Stones are laughing, too.

But not at the geriatric jokes that have dogged them for at least a decade, and certainly not with them.

No, Mick Jagger (59), Keith Richards (59), Charlie Watts (62), and Ron Wood (the youngster at 55) are laughing because, 40 years and counting into their reign as rock's most royal of extended families, they're still having too darn much fun not to.

They couldn't care less about the naysayers who enjoy pointing out that the Stones haven't produced a blockbuster hit album in two decades. Or that it took a compilation of their mostly 1960s and '70s-era hits, "Forty Licks," to get them back onto the charts. Or that Richards likely has guitar picks that are older than his youngest fans.

It's still only rock 'n' roll, but obviously they like it. Love it, even. Yes they do.

And, just as obviously, so do the sellout crowds that continue to overflow arenas and amphitheaters wherever they appear on their current "Lick It" tour.

That included a jam-packed Mellon Arena Friday night, when the Stones made only their second appearance following a five-week holiday hiatus, yet still managed a flawless, 21-song performance on two stages.

Not that one would have been insufficient. The Steelers have played in stadiums smaller than the Stones' main stage, a sprawling, opulently lit platform with a second-story loft to its rear - the better for Jagger to writhe for the customers in the limited-view seating behind and to the sides - and four giant television screens above, one to chronicle every move by each of the band's remaining principals.

It was the grandeur of the setting that allowed the Stones to make one of the slickest entrances on the tour circuit - a swirl of spotlights suddenly focusing into one blinding beam as the pre-show music swells to a dramatic crescendo, followed by a fade to blue-tinged black at the opening notes of "Street Fighting Man."

When the stage lights popped back on, there was Richards seemingly all alone front and center, dipping into a chord, smiling and looking more 19 -from the seats in the back, at least - than 59.

Then, from out of nowhere came Jagger, all hips and elbows and big, smoke-flavored and whiskey-bruised voice, high-stepping the audience into an emotional frenzy with his trademark wiggle as Wood and Watts and the band's nine-person backing ensemble assumed their positions.

They maintained that energy level through "Start Me Up" before downshifting into a more workmanlike - but rarely more mellow - groove by the evening's third song, "If You Can't Rock Me."

Having proved early on that they can still move, the Stones spent much of the rest of the night demonstrating that they can still play. And although they used the current single from "Forty Licks," the Journey-like power-pop piece "Don't Stop," to help make that point, they drove it home with a generous portion of "Let It Bleed," the studio masterpiece that is arguably the Rolling Stones' finest album.

Selections included "Monkey Man," "Live With Me," "Midnight Rambler," and the tongue-in-cheek western swing of the title track.

But "Gimme Shelter" was the crown jewel of "Let It Bleed" back in 1969 - and, not surprisingly, of Friday's show, as well. A rare hybrid of late '60s psychedelia and traditional gospel, "Shelter" was a perfect showcase for Richards' and Woods' blistering guitar chops and Lisa Fisher's vocals, both solo and in duet with Jagger.

And speaking of rare, the Stones have taken the wrapper off the heretofore almost-never-played "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" for the "Licks" tour, and Friday's version gave "Shelter" a serious run for the money as best of show.

That was mostly because the Stones still carry some impressive backup in the persons of pianist Chuck Leavell and especially saxophonist Bobby Keys, who took "Knocking" to the upper echelons of jazz before Jagger's bluesy harp brought it right back to the barroom.

Richards took a two-song solo turn in the spotlight - "Hello, Pittsburgh; I told you I would be back" - with "Slipping Away" and "Happy." But, as usual, Jagger handled the vocals on the rest of the hits featured in the setlist.

They included "Angie," "Tumbling Dice," "You Got Me Rockin,'" "Honky Tonk Woman," and, of course, "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction."

Then it was off to the "second" stage at the other end of the arena for the encore, a smaller and more intimate setting that harkened back to the band's small-club roots.

And so did their song selection for the segment - "It's Only Rock and Roll" and "Brown Sugar" sandwiched around their only cover of the evening, appropriately Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone."

They finished with a second encore on the big stage, pumping the energy right back to where it was at the start with "Jumpin' Jack Flash."

Yes, it was a gas.

©The Daily News 2003

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST