ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

The Bluesbreakers live on stage 1968
Happy 57th birthday Mick Taylor!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A point of intrigue Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 12th, 2006 07:28 PM
speedfreakjive Ive read many books and quotes et al, where Gimme Shelter is described as the best Stones song committed to record. Tell me if i'm wrong, but its not even in my top 5, maybe top 10.

The fact it doesn't work live adds to my opinion.
IMHO it IS one of the most unique recordings of the Stones,due to its "stormy" atmosphere.

I'd be interested to see how many here would name it as their favourite, (apart from Gimmme Shelter, obv), and even in their top 5.

Speedy
January 12th, 2006 07:47 PM
ozstones Have you seen Gimme Shelter live on the Stripped Video? I think this is one of the best performances of that song that I have ever seen. It is subjective but I think Gimme Shelter has to be in the top 5 of Stones songs. I mean apart from the music there are the events surrounding the recording of the song, lyrics etc.

Cheers

Andrew
January 12th, 2006 07:52 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
ozstones wrote:
Have you seen Gimme Shelter live on the Stripped Video? I think this is one of the best performances of that song that I have ever seen. It is subjective but I think Gimme Shelter has to be in the top 5 of Stones songs. I mean apart from the music there are the events surrounding the recording of the song, lyrics etc.

Cheers

Andrew

No, what is the Stripped video
January 12th, 2006 07:54 PM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Tell me if i'm wrong, but its not even in my top 5, maybe top 10.

at the risk of sounding like an English teacher, if you say its not in your top 5 or 10 then youre not wrong - it isnt.

quote:
The fact it doesn't work live adds to my opinion.
IMHO it IS one of the most unique recordings of the Stones,due to its "stormy" atmosphere.

right on the 2nd part, wrong on the first part. Whilst I didnt care for the 'programmed' intro they used on the last tour when walking back from the b-stage, its usually been a great live song. Check out the version from the televised Tokyo Steel Wheels show or the Paradiso '95 version that was issued as a B-side. Lisa's never eclipsed Merry Clayton's spine-tingling vocal on the original, but she's always done it justice. The pre-1989 versions were good too, in the days before they had a female backing singer

quote:
I'd be interested to see how many here would name it as their favourite, (apart from Gimmme Shelter, obv), and even in their top 5.

I would guess it would be quite a few people's favourite and in many people's top 5.

IMO its the most perfect song they ever recorded. I never tire of it. The apocalyptic menace in those flickering opening notes still gives me goosebumps well over a quarter of a century since I first heard it. If I had to listen to only one Rolling Stones record for the rest of my life, its this one

[Edited by Gazza]
January 12th, 2006 08:00 PM
speedfreakjive Ok, each to their own, ive just always seen it ecclipsed by such recordings as;
Honky Tonk Women - recorded over and over, until it really was PERFECT!
Brown Sugar
Bitch
Jumping Jack Flash - different and better than the live versions until 1972.

January 12th, 2006 08:30 PM
Gazza indeed

The studio version of Jumpin Jack Flash for me is the best Stones single, their greatest studio recording just behind Gimme Shelter - and is a song that whilst always pretty good live has NEVER come close to matching the original version
January 12th, 2006 08:33 PM
speedfreakjive call me wierd, but i really think the version on 4 flix theatre rocks
also, ur the guy to ask; why was IORR and another emmitted from DVD, poor quality i guess
January 12th, 2006 08:39 PM
Gazza who can tell

might have been that, but maybe also probably because the song featured on the MSG DVD on Four Flicks and they wanted to minimize the amount of duplicate performances

None of the 3 shows on FF are complete concerts as you probably know.
January 12th, 2006 09:09 PM
doo doo doo Dude Gimme Shelter is one their greatest live achievements imo. The menacing Taylor versions from 72/73 are amazing and the 75 flangy version is off the hook as well. The modern versions with Lisa have also been incredible (love the Stripped version) where Mick & Lisa do the give & take.

It's a shame they haven't played it on this tour.
January 12th, 2006 09:18 PM
stonesmachine Great song
January 12th, 2006 10:00 PM
jb
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
Gimme Shelter is one their greatest live achievements imo. The menacing Taylor versions from 72/73 are amazing and the 75 flangy version is off the hook as well. The modern versions with Lisa have also been incredible (love the Stripped version) where Mick & Lisa do the give & take.

It's a shame they haven't played it on this tour.

100% correct.... the greatest rock performance ever...GS is by far there greatest song....
January 12th, 2006 10:04 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:
indeed

The studio version of Jumpin Jack Flash for me is the best Stones single, their greatest studio recording just behind Gimme Shelter - and is a song that whilst always pretty good live has NEVER come close to matching the original version

Agreed, no band has ever come close to matching this recording!
January 12th, 2006 10:04 PM
Zack Speedy, wait till you hear the wah-wah version from Perth 73 which is in the mail to you. You'll be converted!
January 12th, 2006 10:27 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Zack wrote:
Speedy, wait till you hear the wah-wah version from Perth 73 which is in the mail to you. You'll be converted!

In particular Mick T's guitar work between 1:47-2:38....dynamite!
January 13th, 2006 08:02 AM
Navin
Prefer the 'No Security' version of "Gimme Shelter"

Something about the original album version spoils it for me - and the whole album is like that, always felt the record to be overrated. But I did enjoy the '40 Licks version of "Gimme Shelter" and the 'More Hot Rocks' version of "Let it Bleed"

Sorry folks, but always liked the Stones history backwards - the new stuff the most and so on. Never understood that whole thing about them "4 Albums" between 1968 and 1972.

Dont get me wrong, as "Jumpin Jack Flash" is my #1 favourite of all time and "Brown Sugar" at #2
January 13th, 2006 08:06 AM
gimmekeef Gimme Shelter is the Rolling Stones......
January 13th, 2006 08:09 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Gimme Shelter is the Rolling Stones......

correction - Brown Sugar is The Rolling Stones
January 13th, 2006 08:17 AM
egon Eveything started with Jumping jack flash.

And i do mean EVERYTHING.

Jumping jack flash is SO great, that you shouldn't
be allowed to write it as JJF.

And that my friends, is what I think.
January 13th, 2006 08:20 AM
Gazza
quote:
egon wrote:
Eveything started with Jumping jack flash.

And i do mean EVERYTHING.

Jumping jack flash is SO great, that you shouldn't
be allowed to write it as JJF.

And that my friends, is what I think.

if you respect it that much, you should use capitals with each of the 3 words in the title, ie Jumpin' Jack Flash

that my friend, is what I think ..!
January 13th, 2006 08:21 AM
egon I stand corrected!
January 13th, 2006 08:22 AM
speedfreakjive [quote]Gazza wrote:

if you respect it that much, you should use capitals with each of the 3 words in the title, ie Jumpin' Jack Flash

that my (unquote]

Ha Ha, agreed, from the opening chord of Jumpin' Jack Flash is where the ethereal journey of their best music starts.
Incidentally, it finishes with the last letter of "Shattered",

[Edited by speedfreakjive]
January 13th, 2006 08:41 AM
Zanck*Zanck*Zanck ..and without the song 'Gimme Shelter' just what the hey would they have called the Movie?'Gimme live with me?Gimme Midnight Rambler'.etc .see doesn't work
January 13th, 2006 10:59 AM
FPM C10 At this point in my Stones obsession I couldn't pick an absolute favorite song, but Gimme Shelter is definitely in the running.

The SOUND of Gimme Shelter captures a palpable sense of apocalyptic dread that remains unmatched - by the Stones or anyone else. The ghostly guitar, the scratchy percussion ratcheting up the tension of the intro, the harp crying, the menace in Mick's voice - no cartoon self-deprecation here - Merry Clayton's banshee wail. It all sounded like the end of the world. I had never heard ANYTHING like it, because there had never BEEN anything like it.

It has a gigantic personal significance for me because I got Let It Bleed when it came out - when I was 12, with all of the coming-of-age jazz that goes with THAT - and listened to the album until I literally wore it out. Then I saw the Stones do it on Ed Sullivan, with Keith wearing an earring and Mick wearing eye make-up, which prompted a gigantic shitfit from my old man and fueled my own budding teenage rebellion.

All of that stuff formed me and remains burned into my DNA.

Live versions of the song, while good, have never matched the studio recording for me, but obviously there's more going on there than just what's in the grooves.

quote:
Zack wrote:
Speedy, wait till you hear the wah-wah version from Perth 73 which is in the mail to you. You'll be converted!

Zack, hope you're well - please PM me your address so I can send you the DVD of the Friction reunion. It went GREAT - we're in the studio now recording the album we should have recorded 20 years ago.
January 13th, 2006 11:23 AM
glencar Wow, a Stones fan who doesn't like Gimme Shelter. Unusual to say the least. It's definitely in their top 5 & I agree with Navin that the No Security version was pretty tasty.
January 13th, 2006 12:21 PM
Dick Bush

Pal,

Not only you are on the wrong chat forum - you might be listening fully wrong kind of music.

January 13th, 2006 12:24 PM
glencar Exactly, Dick. This gal has shown she knows nothing about music on other threads.
January 13th, 2006 12:46 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
glencar wrote:
Exactly, Dick. This gal has shown she knows nothing about music on other threads.

how ironic
January 13th, 2006 12:50 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
glencar wrote:
Wow, a Stones fan who doesn't like Gimme Shelter. Unusual to say the least. It's definitely in their top 5 & I agree with Navin that the No Security version was pretty tasty.

what do you mean, its in their top 5? you mean the top 5?
And if you read more closely, you can see that I never said I didn't like it Glencock.
January 13th, 2006 12:51 PM
glencar You bore me, freaky. Plus you're stoopit. Adios.
January 13th, 2006 12:55 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
Adios.

YAY!! You're leaving!!!

dont let the door hit ya in the ass
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)