ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

The Bluesbreakers live on stage 1968
Happy 57th birthday Mick Taylor!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: KAT KRAMER talks to Shirley MacLaine about the ROLLING STONES Return to archive
January 11th, 2006 10:27 PM
KVINCELLI Entertainment Today correspondent and major Stones Fan Talks to screen legend Shirley MacLaine about many topics inlcuding The Rolling Stones. Seems Kat is trying to get Shirley into the STONES! Check it out on www.shirleymaclaine.com under announcements-"Being There" with Shirley by Kat Kramer.

January 11th, 2006 10:29 PM
glencar Holy crap! I want to see the interview but I can't deal with that Shirley page. It's a tad too weird. Can you copy & post a bit of it?
January 11th, 2006 11:05 PM
egon sure gleny!

Astrology
There was a time in our history when astrology was considered the heavenly reflection of the ordained path of an individual's life. People allowed their lives to be dictated by the celestial movements in the heavens. Then as time progressed, astrology was used as a scientific tool to heal. In order to be a physician, one had to be an astrologer. This was considered a necessity if the healer was to fully understand the complaints of the patient.

Today astrology is also used as a tool. It does not dictate our lives, but can provide a road map that will permit us to avoid obstacles, enhance our natural abilities, help us chart the course of our life and reach a deeper, more thorough understanding of ourselves, our past and our future. Learning about and understanding oneself is the greatest tool we can utilize to better comprehend the world around us and our interaction with it. Whether it is in the form of a weekly overview or in a personalized chart, astrology can and should be used as an instrument for the development of self.

January 11th, 2006 11:06 PM
glencar Nowhere do I see "Satisfaction" in that blurb. BTW I met Kat Kramer years ago in Vegas. Very nice.
January 11th, 2006 11:08 PM
egon From: Entertainment Today

“Being There” with Shirley…
By Kat Kramer

The screen legend talks to ET's Kat Kramer about everything from L.A. traffic and Hollywood to Hurricanes and The Rolling Stones…

The Many “Passions” of Shirley MacLaine…

I’m proud to say that Shirley MacLaine is my idol. Ever since I was a little girl, she has been and continues to be an inspiration. I’ve been lucky enough to know her, and I can happily tell you she’s the ultimate role model – not only as a person – but as an Academy-Award-winning legendary actress, dancer, singer, filmmaker, activist, New-Age leader and best-selling author. Who wouldn’t admire her? She’s the quintessential “Renaissance Woman.”

Timeless Classic” – (The Original ‘It’ Girl) Who can forget Shirley in her early films such as “Some Came Running,” “The Apartment,” “Irma La Douce,” “Can-Can,” “The Children’s Hour” and “Sweet Charity” – (one of my all-time favorites.)

Then, there’s more mature MacLaine in edgier films such as “Being There,” “The Turning Point,” “Postcards From The Edge,” “Madame Sousatska,” “Steel Magnolias,” and her Academy-award winning turn as Aurora Greenway in “Terms of Endearment” not to mention all of the multiple award nominations, groundbreaking television specials, and her international and political adventures in the 1970’s-80’s. Long before it was in vogue to make non-fiction films, Shirley wrote, directed and produced (along with Claudia Weill) the feature documentary “The Other Half Of The Sky: A China Memoir,” (which was nominated for an Oscar and Golden Globe.) In 2000, she directed and starred in the charming film “Bruno,” and she has been a guiding light for the metaphysical movement and pet spirituality with such books as “Out On A Limb” and “Out On A Leash.” Let’s face it, she’s done it all, and she’s still doing it!

A Day In The Life…” In 2005 – Shirley MacLaine is enjoying one of her busiest years. She’s had three movies out in theatres, and just received her 19th Golden Globe nomination for her role as “Ella Hirsch in Curtis Hanson’s “In Her Shoes” – opposite Cameron Diaz. On Christmas Day, Shirley will most certainly delight audiences as the feisty Katharine Richelieu in Rob Reiner’s romantic comedy “Rumor Has It” – opposite Jennifer Aniston, and if that’s not enough, on January 7, 2006, she will be honored with The Lifetime Achievement Award at The Palm Springs Film Festival.

Earlier this year, she was given two other lifetime achievement awards, one from The Chicago International Film Festival, one from ShowEast. I had a rare chance to spend the afternoon with Shirley at her new home in Malibu – where she only stays part of the time (she now resides in New Mexico.) – to talk about her new movies and her upcoming projects. But we also discussed a lot of other things – and I can’t tell you my excitement and anticipation as I fought the L.A. traffic from the San Fernando Valley to Malibu on a bright, sunny afternoon. As I drove along the Pacific Coast Highway – I wondered what can Shirley be truly “passionate” about now in her life?

As I made my way up the driveway path leading to her front door, I heard loud barking, and was then officially greeted by the famous Terry (her beloved rat terrier) who has plenty of moxie and spirit, I must say…

Shirley made her grand entrance – looking more radiant than ever – and we decided to conduct our conversation – in her lovely garden terrace – and during our chat – the veteran photographer extraordinaire Greg Gorman – briefly interrupted us to inform Shirley that he had come to photograph her for “Venice” magazine, and he brought a large entourage with him.

During our time together, I realized that one of the topics Shirley was not passionate about these days was politics, and she is passionate about avoiding all situations in life and work – that will make her unhappy – no matter how great the sacrifice. What a nice philosophy.

Shirley is celebrating her 50th year in motion pictures (she made her big screen debut in “The Trouble With Harry” – 1955) and it’s kind of the world’s anniversary of their love affair with Shirley Maclaine. I know our discussion – was unique – and I think I’ve peaked her interested in attending a Rolling Stones concert with me in 2006. Will she go? We’ll see…

The following are some of the highlights from “Being There” with Shirley MacLaine:

Kat – One of the reasons I’ve always admired you, and you’ve been my role model is because you’re the “original renaissance woman.” When you were a little girl growing up in Virginia, did you ever envision your future, did you see “your great success.”

Shirley – I didn’t think about (any of that) or foresee anything. I was just a dancer, and I wanted to get more specific – so I went into musical comedy. Then I wanted to get even more specific – so I went into acting, and I wanted to get even more specific than that – so I went into writing.

Kat – Did you have any premonitions when you were little about some of your current “passions?”

Shirley – Well, I’ve always been interested in the origins of the species – it had nothing to do with show business. I think I’ve been interested in pursuing that curiosity since I was ten. I’m very interested in whether we’re alone in the universe or not – I asked for a telescope when I was ten. So those are my “passions!”

Kat – Your film career is flourishing. How do you feel about it?

Shirley – As far as show business is concerned, I love it! I feel creatively useful in it! I’m having a great time. But I didn’t foresee anything, really.

Kat – You’re getting lots of recognition for your role as Ella in “In Her Shoes,” what was it like working with Curtis Hanson?

Shirley – I loved it! Curtis would give me ideas about line readings that I never would have thought of, or an idea in the middle of a scene. Of course, I was playing a very contained character; I think Curtis must have been exploring the feminine aspect of life – to go from “Wonder-Boys,” “8 Mile” and “L.A. Confidential” to suddenly, he’s with all these women. I think he was either exploring his own feminine – or “what does he do with all these women?” He’s more comfortable with feminine issues than you think. And he has incredible patience – almost awesome.

Kat – Can you describe it?

Shirley – Well, for example, at 4 o’clock in the morning – (when everybody else is dying) – he’s just standing there stalwart, ready to do it for the 23rd time – kind of the tortoise and the hare syndrome. He’s the last one left standing - no doubt. And a good woman is like that, that’s my point. He has stamina, and he’s a journalist, you know. He’s an observer. Usually a man will get impatient easily and get boorish. But Curtis doesn’t do that. He’s very patient.

Kat – What attracted you to the character of Ella?

Shirley – I hadn’t done a picture in a while, and I liked the idea of being so subtle and contained as I call it. Curtis wasn’t sure I could do it. He wasn’t sure that I wouldn’t be larger-than-life and walk in and breathe all the air. But I enjoyed it, I find it much easier – and very (she contemplates) gentle making on my soul, to play those parts.

Kat – And your part as Katharine in “Rumor Has It.” What’s that like?

Shirley – It’s funny. It’s me playing flamboyant – it’s the opposite of “In Her Shoes.” I like them both.

Kat – Tell me about some of the projects you’re currently working on?

Shirley – I have three that I think will probably go after the first of the year. It’s wonderful because it’s harder to make a movie now in town than ever! One I’ve been working on with Sir Richard Attenborough for three years – and we finally got the money. It’s a fabulous script called “Closing The Ring.” But you know, marketing is running everything these days – and they don’t know what the target audience is. Also, I’m contemplating going back to Broadway when I’m 75.

Kat – Why when you’re 75?

Shirley – Because 7+5 is a 3 – one for mind, body and spirit. I’ll have a stool, spotlight and black stockings – maybe do a little Fosse – but I’m sure not gonna dance the Can-Can! (Laughs) I just saw Elaine Stritch in New York – and I’m so inspired by her. It’s like I’m not finished performing yet. It will be a one-woman show.

Kat – You used to live in Malibu full-time. Why did you move to Santa Fe, New Mexico?

Shirley – I moved because it’s insane here – The traffic! (laughs) Anytime I want to go anywhere, I have to put aside two hours to get there. That’s nuts, and the road rage builds up in people who don’t normally have road rage. I’ve been going to New Mexico for years and years. It’s a big artistic community; it’s a new age and a heavy duty spiritual community. It’s being involved with nature – and learning how to grow your own food. I’m a city person – and that part of me was, well, I just didn’t know anything. So now I have a ranch, I’ve got my own food and water, I’m self-sufficient, I’m off the grid. It’s a paradise out there.

Kat – Don’t you miss California?

Shirley – I love Hollywood, I always have – I love being part of it. But it’s not like I’m social – and go to the Polo Lounge. I never did that.

Kat – So you avoided the social scene in Hollywood. Did it make you uncomfortable?

Shirley – No. It’s just that I haven’t a lot to say, once you get past the grosses. If it’s about a good script, and if somebody wants to get down and deep about what is the meaning of this or that character, sure. But there have been times when I go to parties (I think I’m not gonna go) and I’m the last one to leave. But I’ve always found it a little dull, frankly.

Kat – When I go to social events or parties, I go to connect with the people, about creative ideas and projects. When I don’t go, I worry about missing out on important information. How about you – how do you handle that?

Shirley – I used to think like you. But I still couldn’t get myself to go do the Hollywood social scene – as they call it. So what I did was have the faith and trust that anything I needed to know would somehow synchronistically happen. That way, I didn’t have to get in the car and drive to a party that I enjoyed for twenty minutes.

Kat – So did you have problems with some of the shallow values in Hollywood, or do you still?

Shirley – No, I’m alright with that. The big knife has a velvet edge now. This is capitalism, this is materialism – this is the way it works. I’ll tell you what does bother me – the thing that I can’t bear to witness is some of these older, more experienced, talented people (a Billy Wilder, Bob Wise or a Lew Waserman) - who are not respected in their older years. That was awful for me to watch. It’s like they’re not there anymore when they’re over a certain age. I don’t like seeing these brilliant, older, wiser people become invisible. I’ve actually experienced that somewhat – but not now!

Kat – I doubt you’ve ever really experienced that – you’ve always been in demand. I truly believe you’re the only modern actress (besides my Godmother Katharine Hepburn, of course) who is able to go the distance, and keep playing interesting roles that happen to be grandmothers. You will become the 21st century equivalent. Only in some ways, you’re more innovative than Kate was, and you take more chances.

Shirley – Well, I’m more eccentric. She was a New Englander, and more conservative by nature. But it’s fascinating to get older and watch what goes on. I think I’m going to be writing a book about aging, I don’t know.

Kat – How old do you think you’ll live to be?

Shirley – I’ll live to be very old. Into my mid 90s at least. Then I’ll decide if I want to live longer.

Kat – Since you’re so wise about Hollywood, what do we have to look forward to in the future?

Shirley – Well, I’m fascinated by this controversy between the motion pictures and DVDs, and the simultaneous release! Why do we have theatres? That’s a good question. People are so afraid to go out, it costs them too much money between parking, concessions, hiring a babysitter, and the cost of the ticket for the movie itself. I think in the future, people will just put all their money into entertainment centers at home – and have people come over – and then they don’t have to worry about being kidnapped, carjacked, hijacked or murdered (laughs) – or shot!

Kat – Don’t tell me it’s gonna be like “Clockwork Orange!”

Shirley – Well, I do think Nature’s pretty pissed off! What we’re seeing with Hurricane Katrina – that’s just the beginning! I don’t see the world ending by a nuclear disaster, or being devastated by fire or water, but by wind! And I’ve felt that for a very longtime. I do have a basement at home in New Mexico.

Kat – When will this happen?

Shirley – I don’t know – on a Tuesday, maybe in early March! (laughs)

Kat comment – No, that’s the Rolling Stones at the Great Western Forum! It can’t happen till after that (laughter)

Shirley comment – Maybe it will happen with that! (Hysterical laughter)

Kat comment – I just saw The Stones at The Hollywood Bowl. You should see them live, you’d love it! They’re amazing Shirley, you’d appreciate it, being a live performer. They might even become one of your passions.

Shirley – Yes, I know I would! I love those guys (A thousand miles away!) No, I’m kidding – I guess this new album is one of their best. Is it really loud at one of their concerts? I saw The Beatles once at Madison Square Garden – and I couldn’t hear for a week! in 1972 – and I couldn’t hear for a week!

Kat – No, it’s not too loud! My mom goes, and doesn’t even need earplugs. I’ll take you. Will you go with me? I’ll make the arrangements for next time.

Shirley – Are you kidding me? I wouldn’t be able to hear for a week. But if you get me a private plane, I’ll go. I do love those guys. Who wouldn’t love somebody in their sixties still doing it!?

… And with that, we left the garden patio area to go inside her cozy cottage. She stared out the window, contemplating the sunlight, as Greg Gorman and his team set up the cameras. Another photo session, another interview, another day in the life of Shirley MacLaine. Just like The Rolling Stones, she has broken all the rules, and rewritten history. She will continue to act, perform, write books and search for the truth until she leaves this planet. She will probably out-live us all. Why? Because she has so many “passions.” By the way, it’s nice to have an idol who is also an “icon for the ages.”
January 11th, 2006 11:09 PM
egon
January 11th, 2006 11:14 PM
gypsymofo60 Shirley Maclaine? OUT THERE! When Stewart Swerdlow rolls his eyes in a response to a question on that weirdo, then you know she's literaly OFF THE FUCKING PLANET.

Silver threads my arse!
January 11th, 2006 11:22 PM
glencar Shirley – Yes, I know I would! I love those guys (A thousand miles away!) No, I’m kidding – I guess this new album is one of their best. Is it really loud at one of their concerts? I saw The Beatles once at Madison Square Garden – and I couldn’t hear for a week! in 1972 – and I couldn’t hear for a week!

History isn't her forte!
January 12th, 2006 05:55 AM
corgi37 If she's a fuckign legend, i am frikking God!

You Yanks have got to get your hero worshipping, ass crawling shit together.

Next thing you know, you'll be able to buy spots on the walk of fame!

Oh, wait.
January 12th, 2006 07:36 AM
Gazza >Shirley – I saw The Beatles once at Madison Square Garden – and I couldn’t hear for a week! in 1972 – and I couldn’t hear for a week!

fuck me, never mind her hearing, its obviously affected her memory too, considering they never toured after '66, split in 1970 and never played MSG in their career..

silly old trout!
January 12th, 2006 07:42 AM
egon Gazza, check out YOU horoscope on her excellent website:
http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/astrology/index.php

Or read some of the fantastic UFO stories here;
http://www.shirleymaclaine.com/topics/ufo-introduction.php

January 12th, 2006 07:59 AM
Gazza Gemini (May 21-June 21) Weekly Horoscope
By: Clarisa Bernhardt
The spotlight shines on you brighter than in a long time! Enjoy it and reap the rewards for your creative efforts that you have worked towards for quite awhile. This could be the beginning of something really big. Something you have dreamed about so move forward without hesitation and don't get cold feet!

Mmmm...could be a few subliminal references to next week's "Summit"

Maybe I'm going to get a blow job as a thanks for my 'creative efforts' !

Dont know about it creating "something really big", though!

January 12th, 2006 08:07 AM
egon
quote:
Gazza wrote:
and don't get cold feet![/i]

It could mean it'll be F'in cold
January 12th, 2006 08:09 AM
egon It seems i'm gonne be high on acid:

With the help of a close friend, circumstances that could have challenged now become friendly. The planet Uranus known for powerful unexpected energies lets an event turn in your favour. Enjoy an important personal or career move forward that proves to be quite valuable. Watch for Rainbows in your dreams and in your life.
January 12th, 2006 09:05 AM
Maxlugar [quote]corgi37 wrote:

You Yanks have got to get your hero worshipping, ass crawling shit together.

Pipe down there Mate, or we'll release THIS guy from Guantanamo...
January 12th, 2006 09:25 AM
Joey " You Yanks have got to get your hero worshipping, ass crawling shit together."

January 12th, 2006 09:51 AM
Gazza
quote:
egon wrote:
The planet Uranus known for powerful unexpected energies

Joey??? Time for your mid-morning dump!
January 12th, 2006 09:52 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Joey??? Time for your mid-morning dump!

Early Morning .................................

8:52 AM CDT !!!

************* END TRANSMISION **********************

Snuggle to the Joe

[Edited by Joey]
January 12th, 2006 11:38 AM
Ihavelotsajam I don't know, but that movie, Rumor Has It..... its trailer seems like its the stupidest movie ever made.
January 12th, 2006 11:48 AM
glencar It was a huge bomb. Shoiley don't know it but she's a has-been.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)