ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

The Bluesbreakers live on stage 1968
Happy 57th birthday Mick Taylor!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Oh sh*t! Return to archive
January 11th, 2006 08:20 PM
Egbert http://msn.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,124312,00.asp?GT1=7645
January 11th, 2006 10:38 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Egbert wrote:
http://msn.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,124312,00.asp?GT1=7645

Sadly, I cannot get this link to work....is that what the anger is about?
January 11th, 2006 10:59 PM
glencar Opinions vary on how to preserve data on digital storage media, such as optical CDs and DVDs. Kurt Gerecke, a physicist and storage expert at IBM Deutschland, has his own view: If you want to avoid having to burn new CDs every few years, use magnetic tapes to store all your pictures, videos and songs for a lifetime.
Advertisement

"Unlike pressed original CDs, burned CDs have a relatively short life span of between two to five years, depending on the quality of the CD," Gerecke says. "There are a few things you can do to extend the life of a burned CD, like keeping the disc in a cool, dark space, but not a whole lot more."

The problem is material degradation. Optical discs commonly used for burning, such as CD-R and CD-RW, have a recording surface consisting of a layer of dye that can be modified by heat to store data. The degradation process can result in the data "shifting" on the surface and thus becoming unreadable to the laser beam.

"Many of the cheap burnable CDs available at discount stores have a life span of around two years," Gerecke says. "Some of the better-quality discs offer a longer life span, of a maximum of five years."

Distinguishing high-quality burnable CDs from low-quality discs is difficult, he says, because few vendors use life span as a selling point.

Similar Limitations

Hard-drive disks also have their limitations, according to Gerecke. The problem with hard drives, he says, is not so much the disk itself as it is the disk bearing, which has a positioning function similar to a ball bearing. "If the hard drive uses an inexpensive disk bearing, that bearing will wear out faster than a more expensive one," he says. His recommendation: a hard-drive disk with 7200 revolutions per minute.

To overcome the preservation limitations of burnable CDs, Gerecke suggests using magnetic tapes, which, he claims, can have a life span of 30 years to 100 years, depending on their quality. "Even if magnetic tapes are also subject to degradation, they're still the superior storage media," he says.

But he's quick to point out that no storage medium lasts forev
January 11th, 2006 11:02 PM
egon So we're screwed again.
January 11th, 2006 11:04 PM
glencar You knew it had to happen.
January 11th, 2006 11:11 PM
egon It's betamax V. vhs all over again.
January 11th, 2006 11:15 PM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
You knew it had to happen.

I blame U2
January 11th, 2006 11:16 PM
glencar Nope. It's Jakey.
January 11th, 2006 11:22 PM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
Nope. It's Jakey.

until rs.com offers us cdr's with membership...we shall not blame young jake!
January 12th, 2006 01:41 PM
Egbert If my burned copy of Brussels goes, then so too will I.
January 12th, 2006 05:05 PM
Joey With PROFOUND Respect to the title of this particular thread :

************ END TRANSMISSION ***********

[ Edited by Flacky ]
[Edited by Joey]
January 12th, 2006 05:13 PM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:
With PROFOUND Respect to the title of this particular thread :

************ END PREMATURE EJACUALTION ***********

[ Edited by Hacky ]
[Edited by Maxlugar]

January 12th, 2006 05:17 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I blame U2

I blame the UtooPuggs, the lamest U2 tribute band on earth

[Edited by Troy Mc Glur]

[Edited by Jumacfly]
January 13th, 2006 09:30 AM
Joey [quote]Jumacfly wrote:

I blame the UtooPuggs, the lamest U2 tribute band on earth

Hello Juma
( Rocks Off Member ) ...........................

[Edited by Joey]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)