ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

The Bluesbreakers live on stage 1968
Happy 57th birthday Mick Taylor!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Fans let the Stones off the hook yet again...SEE THE BLACK CROWES Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 11th, 2006 08:01 PM
Dan
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Sadly, folks like jb and myself write our own ticket and are able to afford top dollar ticket to several shows. The money is not the object here, i wish they charged more for tickets to keep the casual fan out!!

Charging more does not keep the casual fan out, it just draws the kind of casual listeners for whom money is no object. Just because I am a hardcore fan doesn't mean I can make money magically appear, or even worse, spend that kind of money just because Hey Its The STONES. IF there were no lower priced options or ways for me to get in cheap then I would just have to miss the show and not think twice about it.
January 11th, 2006 08:09 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Dan wrote:

Charging more does not keep the casual fan out, it just draws the kind of casual listeners for whom money is no object. Just because I am a hardcore fan doesn't mean I can make money magically appear, or even worse, spend that kind of money just because Hey Its The STONES. IF there were no lower priced options or ways for me to get in cheap then I would just have to miss the show and not think twice about it.

yes, but folks like you can find a way to get in regardless of price....

also if tickets were higher priced, then I would have a better shot at getting the front seats without having to spend big bucks at the brokers
January 11th, 2006 08:19 PM
Nellcote My last post about the Black Crowes...

OK, it's as simple as this.
They need a hit.
You can talk about them writing good songs, that was then,
what is now?
You can talk about them covering other people's songs, I'll bet there are many bands who cover songs much better, that's why they are billed as cover bands.
Two members of Rocks Off, Pug & Mathis, both fronted cover bands, and from the tracks I've heard, dead on material.

So what are the Black Crowes?
A band that was.
If you like a band that was, great!
But please enough of this force feed garbage they are "great".
Great is reserved for special talent.

Let's see the Crowes publish an album with genuine gusto,
spawn, say one monster hit.
Lacking that, it's all well and good to enjoy them for what they are, an ok cover-jam band.
Don't come here guns blazing how they are the best.
Don't make them what they are not, great.

Define Great=Tom Brady, he has the hardware.
Define OK=Peyton Manning, he has no hardware.
January 11th, 2006 08:51 PM
full moon The Black Fucking Crowes are great... You think in the shit musical world we live in now that anyone would notice? They are a true rock n roll band .
January 11th, 2006 09:45 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
My last post about the Black Crowes...

They need a hit.
what is now?
You can talk about them covering other people's songs, I'll bet there are many bands who cover songs much better, that's why they are billed as cover bands.
Two members of Rocks Off, Pug & Mathis, both fronted cover bands, and from the tracks I've heard, dead on material.

A band that was.

Lacking that, it's all well and good to enjoy them for what they are, an ok cover-jam band.

the Black Crowes' last major hit: 1990
the Rolling Stones last major hit: 1981

so what is a "great" band? the Beatles? Led Zeppelin? Pink Floyd? I'm not comparing any of their legacies to the Black Crowes as that would be ridiculous - I'm just making a point that so many people on this board have their head off their ass so much that they'll come up with any reason not to like something just to deny any right to comparison against the Stones. you guys are all just over sensitive about the media bashing the Stones saying they've lost their edge - and you know they're at least part right with these lame setlists.

and to say the Black Crowes whole setlists rely on covers - you know it would take about a 2 second internet search to find out you're wrong I hope you realize. they were playing sets of almost entirely their own material since the 1st album. playing covers can be fun though, and adds some cool surprises with some of the obscure stuff they bring out. its not as if they're making their money off covers everybody knows and would actually pay to see.

damn - for fans of a band who depended on Chuck Berry & Otis Redding covers to bulk up their first five albums, you sure know how to take another band down a peg. good job.
January 11th, 2006 09:59 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
My last post about the Black Crowes...

They need a hit.
what is now?

A band that was.

Thank you for your kind words about my musical side. Duly noted and appreciated
January 11th, 2006 10:01 PM
glencar Black Crows = BORING!!
January 11th, 2006 10:06 PM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
Black Crows = BORING!!

I like them on the album, not live when they try to be a jam band (which I hate that entire concept anyway). The song Thick and Thin is very good
January 11th, 2006 10:08 PM
Alfthebeardyviking Chicken and egg.

http://theredwalls.forumsunlimited.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=475

I know, its only rock n roll be we like it, like it, yesssss we do!
January 11th, 2006 10:09 PM
winter After 2 albums the Crowes quickly became irrelevant. Sad, but true. There are street hookers in west philly who have sold more used needles and used condoms than than Crowes have sold albums and tickets since Sourthern Harmony .

The Stones were revolutionaries in the 60's and 70's, and now they are an institution, like it or not. Their music has transcended 40 years, and they are still the most successful touring / entertaining machine on the planet.

The Crowes are nothing more than a modern day Sha Na Na, but strangely, not as cool.

If you think the stones are washed up and have let down their fans, fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion - but then why waste your time on this page? Why not just pick up your toys and go home?

wintah
January 11th, 2006 10:12 PM
voodoopug
quote:
winter wrote:
After 2 albums the Crowes quickly became irrelevant. Sad, but true. There are street hookers in west philly who have sold more used needles and used condoms than than Crowes have sold albums and tickets since Sourthern Harmony .

The Stones were revolutionaries in the 60's and 70's, and now they are an institution, like it or not. Their music has transcended 40 years, and they are still the most successful touring / entertaining machine on the planet.

The Crowes are nothing more than a modern day Sha Na Na, but strangely, not as cool.

If you think the stones are washed up and have let down their fans, fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion - but then why waste your time on this page? Why not just pick up your toys and go home?

wintah

Good Points...those first two Crowes records were fan fucking tastic...but then "artistic integrity" got in the way of real progress
January 12th, 2006 02:44 AM
wisertime The fact is that the Black Crowes are at their best (I speak about MUSIC NOT SUCCESS) now !!!
Stones have never been so bad than in 2005 and sold out shows doesn't mean that it's a good show.
But if you're fans of U2,Eagles and INXS so I understand why you don't like TBC.
January 12th, 2006 02:55 AM
Altamont
quote:
wisertime wrote:

Stones have never been so bad than in 2005 and sold out shows doesn't mean that it's a good show.

That's not true at all. They sound better this tour than No SEcurity and Bridges and Licks. Maybe the variety of the setlist is bad but the sound is much better.
The Black Crows are a decent bar band, that's about it. Even if they play for three hours and do good cover songs, They will never be known as a great rock and roll band because they've never written great songs. A handful of good songs over many years, doesn't make a great band.
January 12th, 2006 03:36 AM
Lethargy
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
OK, I'll play your game, name one Crowes song half as good as anything on ABB. They can't write anything half as good as Streets of Shit which is why they have become a cover band. I'd rather watch the Voodoopugs cover Stones songs!

I won't just name ONE Crowes song better than the ABB songs, I'll name several:

Cursed Diamond
Sunflower
Wiser Time
Cypress Tree
Soul Singing
Descending
Gone
High Head Blues
etc.

I'm as huge a stones fan as anyone on this board, and no one could ever be as great, but I'm just answering your question directly in terms of ABB.

I also feel the need to defend the Crowes. They aren't setting out to be the stones. They're doing their own thing, and lot of people on this board dig what they're doin. So don't flame us.
January 12th, 2006 03:39 AM
Lethargy
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Thank you for your kind words about my musical side. Duly noted and appreciated

I'm surprised to hear anyone on this board say that what really matters is the number of HITS a band has. Sad.

One of the Crowes BEST albums, in my opinion, is their most recent: Lions. In fact, I think their first album sucks. I'm most favorable towards:

Amorica
Lions
Three Snakes
Southern Harmony

The others - their debut and By Your Side - don't do much for me. Give LIONS a listen. It sounds unlike anything the Crowes - or anyone - has done before. Truly great.

January 12th, 2006 04:00 AM
Altamont
quote:
Lethargy wrote:

They're doing their own thing, and lot of people on this board dig what they're doin. So don't flame us.

Actually the flames are usually coming from a certain Crows fanatic knocking the Stones. What kind of response do you expect?
January 12th, 2006 07:21 AM
lotsajizz Crowes rock

as do the Stones

most nights the Stones are better

OK now

January 12th, 2006 10:47 AM
gimmekeef I think its great if you like The Crowes or other bands.But I come HERE to get Stones stuff.If I need or want Crowes stuff I assume they have sites like this where you can go and worship them....Musically I still think their first Jealous Again was a blatant copy of Keith's Take It So Hard....right down to the chord structure.But enjoy them I'm sure they rock hard and put on a good show...wish there were more bands that cared to do that...
January 12th, 2006 10:50 AM
ExileInLA
quote:
Altamont wrote:
That's not true at all. They sound better this tour than No SEcurity and Bridges and Licks. Maybe the variety of the setlist is bad but the sound is much better.
The Black Crows are a decent bar band, that's about it. Even if they play for three hours and do good cover songs, They will never be known as a great rock and roll band because they've never written great songs. A handful of good songs over many years, doesn't make a great band.

I beg to differ. This tour they sound tired. They should have hung it up after Licks. That was their last great tour and their best since 72.
January 12th, 2006 10:56 AM
ExileInLA I think we're missing the point of this post.

I just want to know why the fans of this band don't challenge them to play more far out music.

How many years have we been going to shows and it's been this:
Honky Tonk
Sympathy (with pyro...zzzzzzz....)
IORR
Start Me Up
JJF
Brown Sugar
Satisfaction

a few new tunes

one, maybe two deep tracks (and if you call Doo Doo Doo Doo deep like they did the first night in Boston '05 you're nuts!)

If this were 1972 I wouldn't be having this conversation.

And don't get me started on covers.

What band made their career on covers until they were FORCED to start writing their own music? Come on. I love it when a band does a cover and does it mean. How about Little Queenie? Let It Rock? Good shit right there.
January 12th, 2006 12:11 PM
Dan
quote:
ExileInLA wrote:
I think we're missing the point of this post.

I just want to know why the fans of this band don't challenge them to play more far out music.

How many years have we been going to shows and it's been this:
Honky Tonk
Sympathy (with pyro...zzzzzzz....)
IORR
Start Me Up
JJF
Brown Sugar
Satisfaction

This is what their legacy is built on and what sells the tickets. If their popularity faded and they ended up on the corndog circuit like Cheap Trick or Ted Nugent, then they could skip over these songs that bore you so much. I sure didn't mind hearing most of them for 25th time. And watching from onstage in San Diego, the four people who didn't like Miss You weren't very obvious to the band so you can count on hearing it for the rest of the tour.

(snip inane rambling)

quote:
What band made their career on covers until they were FORCED to start writing their own music? Come on. I love it when a band does a cover and does it mean. How about Little Queenie? Let It Rock? Good shit right there.

Thats because recording covers that were once hits was standard music industry fare until the mid 60s when the Beatles and other bands started having hits with their own songs.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)