ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

The Bluesbreakers live on stage 1968
Happy 57th birthday Mick Taylor!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Fans let the Stones off the hook yet again...SEE THE BLACK CROWES Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 11th, 2006 12:24 PM
ExileInLA I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I have to make my own peace with this band.

I saw my first show in 97 (I was 18). They were great. They played a lot of war horses, but it was all new to me and it was a great time. I saw them in 99. My first Midnight Rambler. Jesus. Great show.

Then came 02. 02 blew my mind. I saw three shows that tour. It kept getting better (minus the San Diego show which I thought was just a band having an off night).

Then 05.

SNOOZE.

I saw them at Fenway on opening night and the setlist was so....safe. Then I kept checking in to see if anything changed during the tour and for the most part, it didn't. So we got Sway. Big deal. Is this really the era in which we wanted that one debuted? It turned into something that Mick may have done on one of his new solo records. Just awful. Then they came back last night. More boring, safe sets are ahead. I will never go back to see this band live. They aren't worth the hundreds of dollars they charge.

My parting words: GO SEE THE BLACK CROWES. THEY ARE THE NEW STONES. 3 HOUR SHOWS. GREAT COVERS. AMAZING - SUPER AMAZING - PLAYING. THEY ARE THE REAL DEAL.
January 11th, 2006 12:28 PM
pdog You make Pdog post liquid !!!
January 11th, 2006 12:29 PM
Ihavelotsajam Your post-- SNOOZE.

your requisite Mick-solo-album-bash-- EVEN BIGGER SNOOZE.
wisertime Exactly my opinion too but you'll see you can't say such things on a Stones message board
ExileInLA To add fuel to the fire:

The Black Crowes just played the hell out of Street Fighting Man - better than the Stones have done it in over 30 years.
January 11th, 2006 12:30 PM
pdog
quote:
wisertime wrote:
Exactly my opinion too but you'll see you can't say such things on a Stones message board

You can post! Time for my morning post!!!
January 11th, 2006 12:33 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
ExileInLA wrote:
To add fuel to the fire:

The Black Crowes just played the hell out of Street Fighting Man - better than the Stones have done it in over 30 years.

Now all the Crowes have to do is actually WRITE something as good as SFM.
January 11th, 2006 12:40 PM
Dan
quote:
ExileInLA wrote:
My parting words: GO SEE THE BLACK CROWES. THEY ARE THE NEW STONES. 3 HOUR SHOWS. GREAT COVERS. AMAZING - SUPER AMAZING - PLAYING. THEY ARE THE REAL DEAL.

80 mins in 2001 was bad enough. 3 hours for ANYBODY is too long but I can't even imagine enduring a Black Crowes set for that long even if they played ALL cover songs.
January 11th, 2006 12:44 PM
jb Love the Crowes .....excellent band....but the Stones are still the Stones....it's more than the music or I would have stopped going after 78...........
[Edited by jb]
January 11th, 2006 12:45 PM
pdog
quote:
Dan wrote:

80 mins in 2001 was bad enough. 3 hours for ANYBODY is too long but I can't even imagine enduring a Black Crowes set for that long even if they played ALL cover songs.

I've never met a Black Crowes poster I didn't like!
See posting!!!
Circa 1996..........................
January 11th, 2006 12:46 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
jb wrote:
Love the Crowes .....excellent band....but the Stones are still the Stones....it's more than the music or I would have stopped going after 78...........
[Edited by jb]

QFT (quoted for truth)

January 11th, 2006 12:49 PM
wisertime For sure they're not the Stones, nobody will ever be.
But they're great on stage (their last albums are great IMO and Chris Robinson solo LP's too).
Stones have become a nostalgia act. I hate nostalgia, that's why I'm much more interested in artists like Dylan nowadays.
January 11th, 2006 12:53 PM
pdog
quote:
wisertime wrote:
For sure they're not the Stones, nobody will ever be.

You need never post more on this...
Game over... Lights out !!! The Fat Lady has posted, it's time to go home....

January 11th, 2006 12:59 PM
Jumping Jack Too bad there isn't a chance in hell they could ever write SFM and are major wannabees!!! When was there last hit song?
January 11th, 2006 01:01 PM
ExileInLA so it's okay with all of you to pay exorbitant amounts of money to watch people do the same thing night in and night out?

i dont get it.

id pay more if:
1) the sets were better
2) the band played better
3) if chuck on the keys croaked
January 11th, 2006 01:02 PM
ExileInLA
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Too bad there isn't a chance in hell they could ever write SFM and are major wannabees!!! When was there last hit song?

when was the stones last hit song?

1980? the crowes have had hits, broken up, and gotten back together to kick the collective ass of all lazy rock bands in that period of time.
January 11th, 2006 01:05 PM
pdog
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Too bad there isn't a chance in hell they could ever write SFM and are major wannabees!!! When was there last hit song?

This why I only post on Stones boards!!!
January 11th, 2006 01:06 PM
wisertime
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:

Hit songs means quality ???!!! LOL
January 11th, 2006 01:11 PM
Jumping Jack OK, I'll play your game, name one Crowes song half as good as anything on ABB. They can't write anything half as good as Streets of Shit which is why they have become a cover band. I'd rather watch the Voodoopugs cover Stones songs!
January 11th, 2006 01:11 PM
pdog
quote:
wisertime wrote:

Hit songs means quality ???!!! LOL

Quality posting means shit!!!
I'm not posting as myself today, something very weird has happened....

January 11th, 2006 03:47 PM
ExileInLA
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
OK, I'll play your game, name one Crowes song half as good as anything on ABB. They can't write anything half as good as Streets of Shit which is why they have become a cover band. I'd rather watch the Voodoopugs cover Stones songs!

are you kidding?

ever heard of "Remedy"?? "greasy grass river"? "horsehead"??

come on. i'll play this game all day long if all you wanna do is compare new stones to anything crowes.

gimme A BREAK!!!
January 11th, 2006 03:53 PM
Dan Remedy - cookie cutter song that sounds good on rock radio and classic rock radio. It was okay when it was first on the radio. Haven't heard the others unless they played them at the Greek.

Just one of many two hit wonders from the early 90s that still has a small cult following.
January 11th, 2006 03:54 PM
Jumping Jack Remedy is their best song and mediocre at best. Who is doing cover of all the Crowes great songs? No one.

At least U2, Macca and Aerosmith have some song writing talent. The Crowes are fit to shine their shoes. The are musicians, not songwriters.
January 11th, 2006 04:11 PM
Nellcote This thread is brought to you by the
Marijuana Growers Of America.
"Smoke early, smoke often"
January 11th, 2006 04:16 PM
wisertime
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Remedy is their best song and mediocre at best. Who is doing cover of all the Crowes great songs? No one.

At least U2, Macca and Aerosmith have some song writing talent. The Crowes are fit to shine their shoes. The are musicians, not songwriters.

Not songwriters ??! I don't think you know other songs than "remedy" and the few hits.
If you talk about U2 so I understand.. It's commercial pop music.
Listen to "High Head bLues","Ballad in urgency","wiser Time","bring on bring on","better when you're not alone","virtue and vice","lay it all on me",etc
Great Rock songs
+ Chris Robinson solo 2 Lp's.
January 11th, 2006 07:02 PM
voodoopug
quote:
ExileInLA wrote:
I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I have to make my own peace with this band.

I saw my first show in 97 (I was 18). They were great. They played a lot of war horses, but it was all new to me and it was a great time. I saw them in 99. My first Midnight Rambler. Jesus. Great show.

Then came 02. 02 blew my mind. I saw three shows that tour. It kept getting better (minus the San Diego show which I thought was just a band having an off night).

Then 05.

SNOOZE.

I saw them at Fenway on opening night and the setlist was so....safe. Then I kept checking in to see if anything changed during the tour and for the most part, it didn't. So we got Sway. Big deal. Is this really the era in which we wanted that one debuted? It turned into something that Mick may have done on one of his new solo records. Just awful. Then they came back last night. More boring, safe sets are ahead. I will never go back to see this band live. They aren't worth the hundreds of dollars they charge.

You shall not be greeted
January 11th, 2006 07:05 PM
voodoopug
quote:
ExileInLA wrote:
so it's okay with all of you to pay exorbitant amounts of money to watch people do the same thing night in and night out?

i dont get it.

id pay more if:
1) the sets were better
2) the band played better
3) if chuck on the keys croaked

Sadly, folks like jb and myself write our own ticket and are able to afford top dollar ticket to several shows. The money is not the object here, i wish they charged more for tickets to keep the casual fan out!! I seen the Black Crowes this summer. They were the fucking opening band....and I dont want to get into the fact that even thought they added Trey to the bill....couldnt even come close to selling out MSG...Sadly, they missed the boat when their time was right and are now a "warm up band" to Tom Petty. Humiliating.
January 11th, 2006 07:16 PM
mac_daddy
here is another aud recording of the crowes on nye...

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=77400

The Black Crowes

Madison Square Garden
New York, NY
Saturday, December 31, 2005

Source: AKG C480b (CK61) > Edirol UA-5 (BM2) > Nomad Jukebox 3

Mastering: WAV > Adobe Audition 1.5 > WAV > Totalrecorder 5.3 >
WAV > Flac Frontend 1.7.1 > FLAC

Disc 1: (66:43)

101. No Speak No Slave
102. Sting Me
103. Lickin'
104. Thick N Thin
105. Jealous Again
106. Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye
107. Soul Singing
108. Space Captain 1
109. Countdown to New Year's *
110. Auld Lang Syne > * 2
111. Will The Circle Be Unbroken 2
112. Thorn In My Pride

Disc 2: (76:09)

201. Jam >
202. Wiser Time
203. My Morning Song
204. Ten Years Gone
205. Wanton Song
206. Seeing Things 3
207. Hard To Handle 3
208. Twice As Hard
209. Remedy
210. E: Street Fighting Man

NOTES:

First time the Black Crowes were ever the headliner at Madison Square Garden.

* Confetti was dropped from the ceiling. Joined on stage were all 3 bands, family,
friends, and crew. Notably, Kate Hudson, Goldie Hawn, & Kurt Russell.

(1) First two verses and chorus only.

(2) First time played. Trey Anastasio and North Mississippi Allstars joined in.

(3) With the Left Coast Horns; Trey Anastasio joined in on "Hard to Handle".

Trey Anastasio Band and North Mississippi Allstars opened the show.

Trey Anastasio's crew used their own SBD for TAB and NMAS sets.

Taped, transferred, & edited by Spyder9 Studios ([email protected])
Released January 10, 2006

Location: Floor, section 7, Row R, seat 4. Left of DFC and the SBD.

The Band:

Chris Robinson - vocals, guitar, harp
Rich Robinson - guitar
Marc Ford - guitar
Sven Pipien - bass
Eddie Hawrsych - keyboard
Steve Gorman - drums
Mona Lisa Young - backing Vocals
Portia Griffin - backing Vocals

Special Guests:

Trey Anastasio - guitar

Left Coast Horns:

Gavin DiStasi - trumpet
Dave Ellis - tenor saxophone
Joshi Marshall - alto saxophone
Marty Wehner - trombone

North Mississippi Allstars

Luther Dickinson – guitar, vocals
Cody Dickinson – percussion
Chris Chew – vocals
January 11th, 2006 07:48 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

Now all the Crowes have to do is actually WRITE something as good as SFM.

well, thats exactly it, if the cover is the highlight, then it ain't good enough.
January 11th, 2006 07:53 PM
Alfthebeardyviking Same meat, differnt gravey. Two camps, same soilders. If any of you kats are in London for the Crowes shows in March swing by to the Crowes Fest afternoon at The Phoenix on Sunday 19th, 1pm - 6pm. Its the pre-gig party and you'rd all be satisfied as the DJ's will be playing Stones, Areosmith, Faces, Crowes, Long John Baldry, Humble Pie,John Mayall,Little Richard,X-pensive Winos etc, etc, etc.

http://www.theheavyloadclub.com/Diary.htm

The audiance is drawn from both camps so if you cant settle your differnces we'll have the girls fight it out (in an inflatable tb of gello).
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)