ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

The Bluesbreakers live on stage 1968
Happy 57th birthday Mick Taylor!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Frank Sinatra...Cool or Uncool Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 12th, 2006 10:05 AM
FrankiePeppers The Frank Sinatra Lifetime Achievement Award Introduction Speech

Speaker: Bono at the 1993 Grammy Awards

Frank never did like Rock and Roll, and he's not crazy about guys wearing earrings either. But he doesn't hold it against me, and anyway, the feeling is not mutual. Rock and Roll people love Frank Sinatra because Frank has got what we want: swagger and attitude, serious attitude, bad attitude, Frank's the chairman of the bad. Rock and roll plays at being tough but this guy, well, he's the boss. The boss of bosses. The Man. The big bang of Pop. I'm not gonna mess with him, are you?

Who's this guy that every city in America wants to claim as their own? This painter who lives in the desert, this first-rate, first-take actor. This singer who makes other men poets, boxing clever with every word. Talking like America, tough, straight-up, in headlines. Comin' though with the big stick, the aside, the quiet compliment. Good cop, bad cop, all in the same breath. You know his story cuz it's your story. Frank walks like America-- cocksure.

It's 1945 and the U.S. Cavalry are trying to get their asses out of Europe, but they never really do. They're part of another kind of invasion-- AFR, American Forces radio. Broadcasting a music that'll curl the stiff upper-lip of England and the rest of the world, paving the way for Duke Ellington, the big band, Timmy Dorsey, and right out in front-- Frank Sinatra. His voice as tight as a fist, opening at the end of a bar. Not on the beat, over it, playing with it, splitting it like a jazz man, like Miles Davis, turning on the right phrase and the right song. Which is where he lives, where he lets go, where he reveals himself. His songs are his home and he lets you in. But you know that to sing like that, you've gotta have lost a couple of fights; to know tenderness and romance you've gotta have had your heart broken.

People say that Frank hasn't talked to the press. They wanna know how he is, what's on his mind. But you know Sinatra's out there more nights than most punk bands. Selling his story through the songs, telling and articulate in the choice of those songs, private thoughts on a public address system. Generous. This is the conundrum of Frank Sinatra. Left and right brain hardly talking. Boxer and painter, actor and singer, lover and father, bandman and loner. Troubleshooter and troublemaker. The champ who would rather show you his scars than his medals. He may be putty in Barbara's hands, but I'm not gonna mess with him, are you?

Ladies and gentlemen, and you ready to welcome a man heavier than the Empire State Building, more connected than the Twin Towers, as recognizable as the Statue of Liberty, and living proof that God is a Catholic! Will you welcome the King of New York City, Francis Albert Sinatra!

enough said!

January 12th, 2006 10:28 AM
egon I'm sure SS has a bit more to say!
January 12th, 2006 10:32 AM
glencar Bon Jovi ahs a song with the lyric "Like Frankie said, I'm gonna do it my way..." That hurts his coolness factor but only by proxy.
January 12th, 2006 10:32 AM
glencar
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Tony Bennet is a mug! The only reason he gets any fame these days is because he is the only crooner still alive!

Spot on! Bennett sucks.
January 12th, 2006 12:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Bon Jovi ahs a song with the lyric "Like Frankie said, I'm gonna do it my way..." That hurts his coolness factor but only by proxy.

In all fairness, I think the "Chairman" had popped his clogs by the time that one was inflicted on us

No doubt he'd have had them buried under a bridge somewhere had he still been around to witness what was not only a musical abortion but a lame attempt at "Coolness by association".

And justifiably so. People have been garotted for less.
January 12th, 2006 12:14 PM
glencar LOL That's true. And I don't even think Bon Jovi wrote the lyrics. It was their attempt (suckcessful at that!) to garner a hit by teaming up with that Swedish guy who wrote all the Backend Boys' hits. Max something or other.
January 12th, 2006 08:17 PM
parmeda Fuck y'all...who else on this board, besides myself, can say they've seen Ol' Blue Eyes?

...hmmm?

Come and talk to me about 'cool'!
January 12th, 2006 08:22 PM
Surround Sister Well his old man was a good friend of mine.
Known him since he was a baby boy.
January 12th, 2006 08:29 PM
speedfreakjive Parmeda, u saw him in concert?
January 12th, 2006 08:43 PM
Gazza Parmeda saw Sinatra AND Elvis, no less!!

(and she's not THAT old, before you ask......)
January 12th, 2006 08:43 PM
Gazza
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Fuck y'all

thank you dear....
January 12th, 2006 08:46 PM
parmeda
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Parmeda, u saw him in concert?

yes, I did. And as Gazza mentioned, Elvis too.
January 12th, 2006 08:47 PM
parmeda
quote:
Gazza wrote:

thank you dear....

...stand in line and take a number hon
January 12th, 2006 08:50 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
parmeda wrote:

yes, I did. And as Gazza mentioned, Elvis too.

now the latter is something about which to boast...as a huge Ronnie Tutt and James Burton fan I beseech you for details!!

now Elvis was cool

always

even when he was fat

January 12th, 2006 08:51 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
LOL That's true. And I don't even think Bon Jovi wrote the lyrics. It was their attempt (suckcessful at that!) to garner a hit by teaming up with that Swedish guy who wrote all the Backend Boys' hits. Max something or other.

I needed to check that as I couldnt believe that there would be another person on God's earth who could actually compose Bon Jovi-styled lyrics like that in exactly the same style as he does

Fortunately, it appears that "Its my life" is indeed an original composition by The Singing Poodle himself...
January 13th, 2006 04:07 AM
shakedhandswithkeith as I posted long time before, That`s Life would be a great coverversion for the stones, it could replace LARS!
January 13th, 2006 04:45 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
shakedhandswithkeith wrote:
as I posted long time before, That`s Life would be a great coverversion for the stones, it could replace LARS!

that s life was also the tittle of a billy preston's song performed during the 75 tour.I love this tune
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)