ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Madison Square Garden - January 16, 2003

Shannon Stapleton/Reuters
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Richards - "Gimme Shelter: The Series" Return to archive
01-10-03 06:34 PM
moy Stones choose love over money
January 9, 2003
BY PHIL ROSENTHAL TELEVISION CRITIC Advertisement

HOLLYWOOD--Here's a 24-karat idea: How about a reality show, a la "The Osbournes" ... starring the Rolling Stones?

"Oh, yeah, me first! Please," Keith Richards cracked Tuesday in a largely headline-free chat with TV critics to plug the band's Jan. 18 live HBO show from New York's Madison Square Garden.

"No, we've done it," Mick Jagger said via satellite from Montreal, alongside Richards and the near-mute Charlie Watts and Ron Wood. "I'm not doing Anna Nicole Smith, either."

So, there will be no "Gimme Shelter: The Series," which is a shame if not a surprise. There probably would have been some cute moments a la Ozzy, Sharon and the kids, Richards mused as he ever-so-briefly entertained the notion, harking back to "when my son got in my guitar case when he was 2 and said, 'Can I come to work with Daddy?' "

Aww, how precious.

But it's understandable these guys would take a pass. The 40-year-old entertainment conglomerate gets enough flak about being aging rockers from aging rock critics. Why risk adding TV critics to the pile-on?

"There are music critics that sometimes, of course, when they write really good things about you, you think they are probably on to something, and when they write bad things about you, you just say, 'Oh, they've completely lost the point and they're too old to be [critics],' " Jagger said when I asked if any music critic or criticism has ever resonated with them. "There's so much verbiage out there. Not that any of you guys in that room are guilty of writing any of it. Of course you're different."

Of course.

Let's face it: When your job is to perform for thousands of worshipful fans who pay handsomely to bask nightly in your glow, it's easy to shrug off a few less-than-awed reactions.

Someone asked if, even beyond the money, the reason the Stones continue to play is the adoration, the need to be loved by millions.

"She's got to the nub of the performer here," Jagger said.

"We feed off that," Richards said. "Without that, we'd probably die within 24 hours."

So that's what's kept him alive all these years.

Stop the presses.
01-11-03 02:00 PM
sasca Heh. I don't think the Osbournes is the classic some do but it has great moments - Ozzy, staring at the bubbles being floated across his stage: 'I'm Ozzy Osbourne, Prince of Fucking Darkness...'

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST