ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Madison Square Garden - January 16, 2003

Shannon Stapleton/Reuters
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: DoWn in the HoLe Return to archive
01-09-03 03:02 PM
woodywoodpecker Anyone know why this gem has never been done Live?

It would go down really well on the Bluesy B Stage dont you think? I mean we have had "Let me go in 81" Dance pt1 02" All about you 95-97" She's so cold 81"

Perhaps the Stones see it as a killer as I do.
01-09-03 03:08 PM
woodywoodpecker sorry "Dont see it as a killer as I do"
01-09-03 05:42 PM
stewed & Keefed WHEN THE STONES PLAY THE BLUES THERE ALL KILLERS
01-09-03 05:44 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Gotta agree with Stewed... I'm off on and on with this song in terms of listening to it, but it would be an absolutely killer B-Stage number, but even better as a theatre number. I can see Mick going off on this one no problem, and Keith and Ronnie'd have a good time too.

-tSYX --- Will all your money keep you from sadness?
01-09-03 06:01 PM
Fabio Hot Stuff Ehi...What a beautifull song!
01-10-03 08:07 AM
corgi37 down in the hole is the best song on ER, easily. i can only concur that it would be superb on the b stage. but, i can just bloody bet that if they did do it, 95% of the audience wouldnt know it. Stupid people.
"none of your nylons...none of your American c-c-c-cigarettes". jagger blowing his harp, Corgi sneaking his way to the front of the big stage, while everyone has their back turned, facing the b stage. Perfect!
01-10-03 08:56 AM
full moon It is a GREAT song.. Raw, bluesy, mean spirited...
01-10-03 10:37 AM
F505 Corgi said:
...but, i can just bloody bet that if they did do it, 95% of the audience wouldnt know it...

So what? The hell with audiences who only wanna hear Satisfaction and Jumping Jack Flash and don't recognize songs when they're not on a Greatist Hits album! By the way of course Dance is by far the best song on ER. And yeah when the Stones play the blues they're still that band that started in the early sixties.
01-10-03 04:37 PM
stewed & Keefed Well I hope Mick & Keef read things like this,and we get back to the real Stones on the new cd.(I wish).
01-10-03 04:56 PM
Boomhauer Oh Yeah!!!

I like that little thing that Mick does when he's singing "Lookin' for cuhvah and findin' out there ain't nowhere to go, nowhere, nowhere, nowhere to goooooooooooohhhhh!"

The *future album* should have blues stuff on it, with some rockers and some ballads thrown in.

01-10-03 08:26 PM
100 Years Ago the best song on ER is Indian Girl
01-10-03 09:53 PM
wkoetke Even better song to do from ER would be...

Where The Boys Go!

I've had the album since the week it came out, but I only recently have I rediscovered the LYRICS! What a great rock and roll - punkish, Keith Richards-in-your-face (though for all I know Mick wrote the lyrics) - song! Unbelievable!

I actually think this one would work in concert, too! Imagine at the the ending if Mick plus Keith together were belting out:

Where the boys all go!

returned by Lisa belting out

Where the girls all go!

etc.

Don't blame me for dreaming.

-Walt
01-10-03 10:44 PM
Gimme Shelter "So what? The hell with audiences who only wanna hear Satisfaction and Jumping Jack Flash and don't recognize songs when they're not on a Greatist Hits album!"

I totally agree. I was at the Oakland show and the crowd was up on its feet for Street Fighting Man and It's Only Rock and Roll and later into the show the Stones were doing an "Exile" set, the majority of the audience was sitting down, and I was standing up rocking out to "Loving Cup" when some woman (top 40 bitch) came up to me and says "Would you sit down, we can't see." I replied to her, "It's a Stones show, woman.", and turned around back to the band, when this woman slaps me in the back and runs back to her seat. A couple songs later they are playing Tumbling Dice and I look back at the woman and now she's up dancing around. "Listen to more than the radio, whore!"
01-10-03 10:57 PM
Boomhauer I swear that when I go to the Chicago show and someone tells me to sit down, I'm gonna beat somebody like cornbread batter.
01-10-03 11:40 PM
full moon I will be in Chi town too Boom....
01-11-03 06:24 AM
Mathijs On Down in the Hole it isn't Mick jagger on harp, that's Sugar Blue (the guy from Miss You).

Mathijs
01-12-03 03:38 AM
padre Nowadays Mick would nail those harmonica parts easily. He's a killer with the harp when he wants to. Down In The Hole would really be a treat to hear live. In fact a whole blues show from the boys would be something!!! Not that it would ever happen, but anyway...
01-12-03 04:38 AM
F505 Well they (Keith, Ron en Mick) jammed with Muddy in 1981 in Chicago. And of course El Mocambo was great.
01-12-03 09:54 AM
padre Yep, but a whole blues studio album would be something.
I think that would be the right thing for the Stones to do at this monent on their career. If they'd want to age respectively, they should quit trying to do hit singles and instead dig deep into their roots and make a really gutsy and soulful blues record. They could, they should, if they only would.
01-12-03 10:08 AM
midnightmagic What about "Goin Home" this could be an awesome number on the B-stage.
01-12-03 04:18 PM
stewed & Keefed I agree with Padre a blues based album would be great, plus some chunky acoustic guitar numbers like street fighting man.
There is a thread on Shidoobee about the same subject.So if more and more people keep saying the same we MAY get our wish.
[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
01-13-03 01:24 PM
padre Good opinions on Shidoobee board about that subject. It's true that going back to blues worked for Dylan and I have no doubt that it wouldn't do the trick for Stones.
They have been dabbling with the blues together and separately quite a bit during the last 10 years: the b-sides to Steel Wheels' singles, Jagger with the Red Devils, Keith's studio jamming from Voodoo Lounge sessions, Mick and Keith on Jimmy Reed album and of course the best damn track of Mick's solo career (Blue). So obviously it's been on their minds for some time. I think all it needs now is Charlie kicking these guys' arses and set them on the right track. Hell, I've even got the title ready for their album: "BACK AND BLUE"!
01-13-03 04:22 PM
stewed & Keefed Back and Blue. I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST