ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Madison Square Garden - January 16, 2003

Shannon Stapleton/Reuters
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: By First Time Stones up of Elvis in USA (#16 - #19) Return to archive
01-09-03 09:25 AM
alex2003 by first time in 14 weeks Forty Licks is up of Elvis in USA. The album in #16 this week, Elvis is #19.

I Can't believe what a Stones album is very high after 4 months.

01-09-03 10:28 AM
jb If this album did not do well, what would? It's the greatest collection of rock ever recorded..and we still did not hit #1 b/c of the release at the same time as the fried banana sandwhich guy....The fact that it has only sold a bout 1.5 million copies is quite disturbing..this album should easily have surpassed 5 million copies by now.
01-09-03 11:02 AM
lucasd4
quote:
jb wrote:
If this album did not do well, what would? It's the greatest collection of rock ever recorded..and we still did not hit #1 b/c of the release at the same time as the fried banana sandwhich guy....The fact that it has only sold a bout 1.5 million copies is quite disturbing..this album should easily have surpassed 5 million copies by now.

Another pathetic commentary by JB....and he even goes so far as to call the King of Rock and Roll the fried banana sandwich guy....pathetic.....Mick and Keef would be be ashmamed of you if you said that to them.....Some people look at the positive side of this LICKS experience ....others look at the negative side....Forty years into their career the Rolling Stones are still going strong....they are putting on their best live performances in 25 years and their recorded music is still selling in the millions....They currently hold the record for the biggest tour of the 20th century and this tour will become the biggest of the new century....FORTY LICKS will be certified four million (quadruple platinum) in a few weeks...that's over two million double albums sold....and it will continue to sell as the tour goes on...it will get a big boost from the HBO special as well....when all is said and done, it will be certified at least quintuple platinum (five million) in the U.S. alone...that's 2.5 million double albums....and that's 40 years after their first piece of recorded music....in a time when recorded music sales overall are down big time....the music industry has been in a sales slump for years now, but the Stones continue to sell steadily and consistently....the number one album this week only sold 119,000 copies....FORTY LICKS sold three times that number its first week out, so it would've been #1 by a long shot if it just hit the charts this week....finally, there is no great shame in being kept out of the top spot by Elvis Presley....there's a lot worse on the charts today....about 198 other albums on the top 200 come to mind
01-09-03 01:49 PM
glencar I myself have bought about 5 copies. 3 were Christmas/birthday gifts, one was for personal use & one was that limited edition. I ahven't bought the Elvis thing yet because I already have that "16 #1 Hits" that was released in the early 90s. Good points made by Lucas above.
01-09-03 07:35 PM
telecaster
quote:
alex2003 wrote:
by first time in 14 weeks Forty Licks is up of Elvis in USA. The album in #16 this week, Elvis is #19.

I Can't believe what a Stones album is very high after 4 months.

It actually moved up several positions.

It will sell well ending up with 5 Mill sold at least
01-10-03 10:19 PM
Prodigal Son JB, do not fear just because the dreaded E and the Bs (Elvis and the Beatles) axis edged out the Stones with sales in 2002 and kept them off the top. It's worse for the Stones in the UK. Plus, I know a lot of kids (a lot are friends of my brother, so 15 or so) who are getting into classic rock through the Stones' 40 Licks. It only builds their fanbase and makes them more of an institution for new generations. I see as many people at school going for the Stones as they would the Beatles. That's a pleasing trend to a Stonehead like me.
01-11-03 10:36 PM
Chico They hear Elvis, they hear good songs, good dance, good music.
Then they hear the Fuckin Stones. Good songs, good dance, good music, good riffs, good lead, good rythym, a good fuckin' rock 'n'roll band that none can come come close to. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Then they only start to realise the God Like Status that the boys deserve!!!!!!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST