ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Madison Square Garden - January 16, 2003

Shannon Stapleton/Reuters
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Virgin Radios top 100 Brittish Acts Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-08-03 11:20 AM
Honky Tonk Man This is taken from Virgin Radios Top 100 Brittish Acts of All Time Poll.

I got it from The Shidoobie Land Message Board

1 QUEEN
2 BEATLES
3 OASIS
4 DAVID BOWIE
5 JAM
6 ROLLING STONES
7 POLICE
8 LED ZEPPELIN
9 WHO
10 COLDPLAY
11 NEW ORDER
12 MANIC STREET PREACHERS
13 CLASH
14 MADNESS
15 JOHN LENNON
16 PINK FLOYD
17 RADIOHEAD
18 STING
19 STRANGLERS
20 ERIC CLAPTON
21 PAUL WELLER
22 SMITHS
23 CURE
24 ELVIS COSTELLO
25 BLUR
26 DEPECHE MODE
27 GENESIS
28 ROD STEWART
29 STEREOPHONICS
30 VERVE
31 STONE ROSES
32 ROBBIE WILLIAMS
33 JOY DIVISION
34 ADAM AND THE ANTS
35 T REX
36 ELTON JOHN
37 TRAVIS
38 DAVID GRAY
39 PETER GABRIEL
40 FLEETWOOD MAC
41 GARY NUMAN
42 BLACK SABBATH
43 SUEDE
44 SEX PISTOLS
45 KATE BUSH
46 DURAN DURAN
47 VAN MORISSON
48 JAMES
49 DIRE STRAITS
50 HUMAN LEAGUE
51 KINKS
52 FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD
53 EURYTHMICS
54 BEAUTIFUL SOUTH
55 PULP
56 SQUEEZE
57 SPECIALS
58 PAUL MCCARTNEY AND WINGS
59 DIDO
60 DEF LEPPARD
61 SLADE
62 OCEAN COLOUR SCENE
63 ANIMALS
64 OMD
65 ROXY MUSIC
66 UNDERTONES
67 CREAM
68 HAPPY MONDAYS
69 SMALL FACES
70 SUPERGRASS
71 ELO
72 ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN
73 SIMPLE MINDS
74 TOM JONES
75 DEXYS MIDNIGHT RUNNERS
76 DOVES
77 BAD COMPANY
78 BADLY DRAWN BOY
79 TEXAS
80 STATUS QUO
81 CHARLATANS
82 SOFT CELL
83 IAN DURY AND THE BLOCKHEADS
84 CATATONIA
85 DEEP PURPLE
86 TEARS FOR FEARS
87 SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES
88 SPANDAU BALLET
89 FREE
90 SEAL
91 STEVE HARLEY AND COCKNEY REBEL
92 STARSAILOR
93 STYLE COUNCIL
94 ASH
95 JAPAN
96 BILLY IDOL
97 MARILLION
98 CORAL
99 KIRSTY MACCOLL
100 PRIMAL SCREAM

01-08-03 12:05 PM
Tom That list is not as bad as some other posted recently. Queen was a great group. I'm sure Freddy took some moves from Mick Jagger. More Queen fans here?
01-08-03 07:50 PM
Scot Rocks Yeah Alex, I listened into that before I went to work, one of the presenters who was doing the coundown, had picked the Stones as his top band before it and when it came to the top ten again, he was remarking how he couldn't believe that the Stones weren't higher. I mean Oasis above the Stones, the Jam better than the Stones, pure BS.

These polls are shit, unless the Stones win of course!!!then they are great!!

Mark
01-08-03 07:59 PM
Sir Stonesalot OK, here's something stupid.

Coldplay=#10
The KINKS=#51

WTF?

Coldplay has released what, ONE RECORD? One record gets you in the top 10?????

Lemme guess, Coldplay are on Virgin?
01-08-03 09:03 PM
Highwire Rob Good God! Frankie Goes To Hollywood even makes it on there??? And Bad Manners doesn't??????

Crikey, they should have added Right Said Fred 'cause the Stones are toooooo sexy for this list... toooo sexy for this list... tooooo sexy....

01-09-03 03:57 PM
Honky Tonk Man You are right SS. Coldplay being in the top 10 is a joke!

They have in fact released two albums now. And they are probobaly our favourite band over here in the UK at the moment. Not mine though. Saw them live a while ago. Thought they were rubbish. They should win a poll as the most boring British Group!

Alex
01-09-03 04:06 PM
jb Really the same old shit Alex...How a country can embrace crap like Queen and the Beatles still puzzles me.
01-09-03 04:11 PM
Moonisup a shame that list
01-09-03 04:12 PM
Honky Tonk Man It is crap Josh, very true. Though America also still embraces these bands. America loves the Beatles as much as we do. I was suprised the Stones made number 6!

Lets have some more commenting on this poll!

In fact, heres my top ten Brittish Bands

1 The Rolling Stones
2 The Beatles
3 The Who
4 Led Zeppelin
5 The Yardbirds
6 ?????????

I cant think of any more at the top of my head!

Alex
[Edited by Honky Tonk Man]
01-09-03 04:15 PM
jb True...only b/c their on tour..are you and the danish wonder Rik going to meet at Sticky Fingers before the London gigs?
[Edited by jb]
01-09-03 04:17 PM
Moonisup don't know that yet! I think I'll be busy with disappointing girls, cos I am very handsome!
01-09-03 04:18 PM
jb You and alex can "tag-team" some 50 year old granny going to the show..show her your little woodies'
01-09-03 04:20 PM
Honky Tonk Man LOL JB, i think you replied to my post when i was editting it!

Im looking forward to meeting Rick. Im bringing along one of my best mates, so we can all get along like one little Heineken drinking Family!

Sticky Fingers would be a gfood place to start

Alex
01-09-03 04:21 PM
jb You are both the youngest real fans(TSXY is a Beatle loving phony) on this site!!!
01-09-03 04:25 PM
Moonisup
quote:
jb wrote:
You are both the youngest real fans(TSXY is a Beatle loving phony) on this site!!!

haha I know josh, I know

that is what we talked about yesterday!!!!
01-09-03 04:25 PM
Highwire Rob How could Brits possibly leave XTC entirely off the list????

Andy Partridge's band is far beyond the company of: TEARS FOR FEARS, SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES, SPANDAU BALLET, etc.

I understand Partridge (maybe the whole band) is reclusive, perhaps this has negatively effected the chances of getting significant votes? I'm not even a huge fan, but one has to recognize the originality, quality, and longevity of their work!
01-10-03 08:14 AM
corgi37 It is impossible for the fucking beatles to be on the same list as the stones. The beatles were a pop band. The Stones are a rock band. Why not compare the seekers with black sabbath? Or kylie with janis? Fuckwit lists. My top 5 pommy ROCK bands are:
1. Stones
2. Who
3. led zeppelin
4. iron maiden
5. cult
01-10-03 08:18 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
jb wrote:
You are both the youngest real fans(TSXY is a Beatle loving phony) on this site!!!

*whistles merrily*

Hmmm... what's this Forward to Moderator button? Perhaps I should use it sometime. I've always refrained in the past, but I think constant refusal to tell me what you're so uptight about while constantly throwing insults might warrant it.

Last warning.

*continues to whistle merrily*

-tSYX --- Ooh lah lah...
01-10-03 08:19 AM
corgi37 Oh, and another thing. I see a band called James is on the list. I mean, ????? What the? Doesnt that name just strike awe in your mind? And, I see a band called Ocean color scene are on the list. What did they do? Like, sell 7 records or something? Poor mans Oasis werent they? But, am i right in saying they did a cover of Sway? I have been dying to hear it, but i aint forking over $30 for the priviledge. And, i have always loved Squeeze. Such clever lysics. But, as in all aspects of life, Aussies are better. Kings of the Sun!! Anyone? Hello?
01-10-03 08:20 AM
corgi37 Oh, and another thing. I see a band called James is on the list. I mean, ????? What the? Doesnt that name just strike awe in your mind? And, I see a band called Ocean color scene are on the list. What did they do? Like, sell 7 records or something? Poor mans Oasis werent they? But, am i right in saying they did a cover of Sway? I have been dying to hear it, but i aint forking over $30 for the priviledge. And, i have always loved Squeeze. Such clever lysics. But, as in all aspects of life, Aussies are better. Kings of the Sun!! Anyone? Hello?
01-10-03 08:55 AM
full moon Lists are idiotic...
01-10-03 12:45 PM
Hannalee
quote]Tom wrote:
That list is not as bad as some other posted recently. Queen was a great group. I'm sure Freddy took some moves from Mick Jagger. More Queen fans here?
[/quote]

Me!!!
Ignore the rabble...

01-10-03 12:47 PM
jb Hannalee..are you from Stonesdoug?
01-10-03 01:01 PM
Fiji Joe Queen?...Have these guys no shame?
01-10-03 01:02 PM
Fiji Joe Hey, my avatar!...I think I'll keep it like that a while
01-10-03 01:44 PM
Hannalee
quote:
jb wrote:
Hannalee..are you from Stonesdoug?

Among other places
01-10-03 01:48 PM
jb So you were the one so rude to me in the chat room?
01-10-03 10:08 PM
Prodigal Son Now there's a horrible list, folks. My top 10 Brit rock groups:
1. Stones
2. Beatles
3. the Who
4. Jimi Hendrix Experience (yes, 2/3 British counts)
5. the Clash
6. the Kinks
7. Led Zeppelin
8. Cream
9. The Yardbirds
10. The Faces/Traffic
01-10-03 10:17 PM
Hannalee
quote:
jb wrote:
So you were the one so rude to me in the chat room?

Not guilty, m'lud.
01-11-03 12:38 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Oh, and another thing. I see a band called James is on the list. I mean, ????? What the? Doesnt that name just strike awe in your mind? And, I see a band called Ocean color scene are on the list. What did they do? Like, sell 7 records or something? Poor mans Oasis werent they? But, am i right in saying they did a cover of Sway? I have been dying to hear it, but i aint forking over $30 for the priviledge. And, i have always loved Squeeze. Such clever lysics. But, as in all aspects of life, Aussies are better. Kings of the Sun!! Anyone? Hello?

......kings of the sun ?????? Led Zeppelin imitators! Bad ones at that!...Aussies are better at what?- Trying to be English? or trying to be American? They are better at cricket I guess, which is just so important right? Most Aussie bands that ever made it OS were cutesy, parochial novelty acts like Men At Work, personally, I felt it was embarrasing in the extreme to think that the world saw, and heard Men At Work and thought = Aussie music. Meanwhile the acts that gained so much critical acclaim at home at the same time were totaly ignored elsewhere as being boring repetative clones. Aussies better? Not better, but let's say improving, all except the media that is.
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST