ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Madison Square Garden - January 16, 2003

Shannon Stapleton/Reuters
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: sympathy for a nobody Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
01-09-03 04:50 PM
MarthaMyDear I have to agree with ~AzQb regarding The Ramones "starting punk", for the most part...

*** Martha ***
01-09-03 04:52 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
I think the great Ray Davies said it best in Price of the Punks:

"whiney whiney pew pew"

Thanks Ray.

I know this has only added to the debate.

Pete Townsend once called Ray Ravies a genius. Said he could not come close to Ray's talent.

Indeed Petey, Indeed.

The irony of this being a) the fact that that song reads like a cheap rewrite of Pete Townshend's "Substitute" ("thinks he looks cool but his act is dated" in preticaler). And b) Ray Davies' career as a relevant songwriter had ended right around the time of Muswell Hillbillies (what, Macky Mackdonald, 1971?), leaving him a cut price rocker in a low budget land playing retrofitted jukebox music. What was his next "significant" contribution to rock music AFTER -- the song Come Dancing and the concept of VH1's Storytellers? Way to go Ray!

Jiminy Christmas, give me some money!
01-09-03 04:55 PM
sasca I can't see much punk in Some Girls. But I see a great deal of New Wave. Of course, there was a lot of punk in New Wave.
[Edited by sasca]
01-09-03 05:01 PM
~AzQb

...i really believe Whip was originally inspired NoT by a Debbie

~RoTfLmAo
01-09-03 05:02 PM
MarthaMyDear I can't see much punk in Some Girls. But I see a great deal of New Wave. Blondie rather than the Clash.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I CAN SEE THAT AND I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!!! Blondie was my favorite band for most of my life... I was just going to post about Blondie, actually... Debbie Harry is just the shit... I wore the frick out of their self-titled debut album, Plastic Letters, and, practically all of their albums, but I have to admit that I just love their first, few albums, including Parallel Lines, etc.... What a fuckin' fun band... New Wave used to be a hoot... I miss that shit... ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
01-09-03 05:03 PM
Nasty Habits Hi sasca --

If you want to get technical, before their conversion to "New Wavism" around the time of Parallel Lines, Blondie was one of the first wave of punk rock bands from the whole New York CBGB's scene, playing along side Television, Patti Smith Group, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, and der Ramones.

New Wave was a term started up by record companies to market their punk acts because punk was such an off putting label.

"I always thought a punk was someone who took it up the ass."

William Burroughs

01-09-03 05:04 PM
sasca Oh, yes, Blondie were great. (I edited my reply, unfortunately)

But Debbie Harry is a worse dancer than me.
01-09-03 05:05 PM
MarthaMyDear ~AzQb, well maybe Mick saw Debbie perform in one of her short dresses one night and maybe it WAS inspired by her!!! lol.................. :P SHE ROCKED!!!

*** Martha ***
01-09-03 05:06 PM
~AzQb

TaDUM

And the tread wore quite thin after this...

Leave it to Burroughs

~RoTfLmAo
01-09-03 05:09 PM
sasca
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Hi sasca --

If you want to get technical, before their conversion to "New Wavism" around the time of Parallel Lines, Blondie was one of the first wave of punk rock bands from the whole New York CBGB's scene, playing along side Television, Patti Smith Group, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, and der Ramones.

New Wave was a term started up by record companies to market their punk acts because punk was such an off putting label.

"I always thought a punk was someone who took it up the ass."

William Burroughs

True, though those groups would not necessarily have been regarded as punks by London's inner circle. Not that that means much. The terms are so vague.
01-09-03 05:11 PM
MarthaMyDear but Debbie Harry is a worse dancer than me.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I think you might be right about that... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P I think she just would dance pretty silly 'cause most of what Blondie's humor was about was tongue-in-cheek, etc.... And, nasty Habits, you are RIGHT ON!!! I have that book, which I wore-out, also (lol.............. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P ): Making Tracks: The Rise Of Blondie, which is a GREAT book about that scene/the NYC early punk rock and "new wave" scene, etc.... Great book and REALLY great pix by Chris Stein!!! ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
01-09-03 05:11 PM
sirmoonie Nasty, I agree Davies did kinda fold up in the early 70s, but his band just kept driving out that distinctive sound they had, and when they amped it up into formula hard rock and ballads with Misfits, Give The People, State, and Word of Mouth it was still fine stuff even if Davies wasn't very inspired anymore and it all kinda sounded the same.

I just dig the Kinks. One of the most underrated bands ever.

They were a bit punky before their time, no?
01-09-03 05:13 PM
parmeda Where's Max? We need a clashing cymbal for Mr. Burroughs...
01-09-03 05:13 PM
jb The kinks are highly overrated...really a 3rd class Who.
01-09-03 05:21 PM
MarthaMyDear John Lydon, if I remember correctly, admits in his autobiography, that he was inspired by The Ramones... I just thought that was interesting... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P To me, they were just two, different scenes, somewhat, but still both considered "punk rock" (punk rock from London, etc., and punk rock from NYC)... PUNK ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
01-09-03 05:22 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Nasty, I agree Davies did kinda fold up in the early 70s, but his band just kept driving out that distinctive sound they had, and when they amped it up into formula hard rock and ballads with Misfits, Give The People, State, and Word of Mouth it was still fine stuff even if Davies wasn't very inspired anymore and it all kinda sounded the same.

I just dig the Kinks. One of the most underrated bands ever.

They were a bit punky before their time, no?

I love them, too. Their albums up until and including Muswell Hillbillies are some of my favorite British 60s rock -- as recording artists and as a songwriter, I will take Ray and Dave over the Who almost any day of the week -- Face to Face, Village Green, Arthur, Something Else -- these are just glorious albums. Nobody ever recorded a prettier song than "Waterloo Sunset". And while I am not a big fan of the 70s period Kinks I actually kind of have a soft spot for Give the People, State of Confusion, and that late 80s live album that sums them all up: Live: The Road. When the Sopranos featured Living on a Thin Line in one of their strip club sequences I thought that was pretty cool. Word of Mouth was one of my first records right along with Dirty Work.
01-09-03 05:23 PM
MarthaMyDear The Kinks are fucking brilliant... Period... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

*** Martha ***
01-09-03 05:26 PM
~AzQb

Oh ComeONJoshinEsq.!

"Overrated"?

Non. OverLOOked, maybe

~
01-09-03 05:35 PM
MarthaMyDear OVER-LOOKED, DEFINITELY!!! WOW, ~AzQb!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P We've agreed on two things today... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P Take care and ROCK ON!!! lol........................ :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

*** Martha ***
01-09-03 05:50 PM
~AzQb

Mmartha!

It just gets betternbetter, don't it?

YOU rawk on and emoticon us to death if you fuckin feel like it!

i for one am gonna miss this stuff when you do the 'Roo!

~RoTfLmAo!
01-09-03 05:51 PM
jb Saw them at the Sunrise Musical theater in 89.....not a bad show....
01-09-03 06:10 PM
MarthaMyDear do the 'Roo!

What does that mean?!?!?! ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT CRACKS ME UP!!! lol........................ I am perplexed... HE!!! HE!!! HE!!! HE!!! HE!!! Oh, boy... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P And, Josh, you are cracking me up, also!!! Typical Libra... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Two sides to you... Scales... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P I saw the Kinks for FREE here at the House Of Blues in L.A. some years ago 'cause my friend and I just went to have dinner and forgot that they were playing there that night, etc., 'cause we had planned on going before, but we were able to just walk into watch them from the balcony (GREAT VIEW!!!) after we ate, so that was extemely memorable (and never hurts the pocketbook, either)!!! lol....................... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P TAKE CARE AND ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
01-09-03 06:51 PM
100 Years Ago the Kinks are the great lost rock band, so few remember, nice to see fans on this board.

Stones
Who
Beatles
Kinks

the Mount Rushmore of Rock no? certainly the foundation, four blocks of granite if you will

Word of Mouth is such an overlooked gem, being the contractual obligation album that is was Arista crapped out on promoting it, their MCA debut Think Visual quite good too, enjoyed both more than their late '70s work

as for the Ramone's in a better world or alternate universe, they would've ruled the charts, maybe the greatest singles band ever to come from the US, so many great songs to choose from, not that most of their albums aren't great (because they are), it's just they had such a talent for creating great radio songs that thanks to the disco craze and MOR pap few commercial radio station would play.

I don't think the Stones were influenced by new wave, to me in new wave music the keyboards were prominent and the music was poppier than punk. Whereas SG was a stripped down affair brimming with coke-fueled energy in a Big Apple groove, not really new wave sounding at all.
01-09-03 06:57 PM
sasca Are the Kinks underrated? Yes, but far less than many groups. A couple of years ago you couldn�t open a British magazine without finding a tribute to them.

Don�t forget:

The Small Faces
The Yardbirds
The Pretty Things
The Animals
01-09-03 11:02 PM
Sir Stonesalot AZQB...

Once again, you misunderstand me. In no way did I denegrate what the Ramones were...I just said that they weren't the first. And Ramonesmaniacs don't want to hear it.

I, like Nasty, feel that the Ramones are an absolutely CRUCIAL part of Rock and Roll. But they were NOT the beginning of punk rock. They did more than anyone to widen the appeal...and they did IMPROVE the form, IMO. But I point to the first Stooges album. That is where it all started. That is the Holy Grail of spit and snot. Not only that, but Iggy was the first punk performer.

The Ramones took it and ran....real far. I love the Ramones(and you know damn well that I do, wink wink), but if you want credit where it's due, then it goes to Iggy and the Stooges.
01-09-03 11:14 PM
~AzQb

SS'y!

I'll give ya DetroitderIgster&Stooges, yessiree.

But when yer talking Pistols/Clash, surely Ramones come in Number One for takin it over the pond and back again--in the OrIgInAl time frame we're talking about here.

I put Ramones BefOrE Pistols and Clash, as i thought this was our original context here? Talkin England, ya know?

And, pray tell, where the hell is Steelie?!?

~

01-09-03 11:44 PM
Sir Stonesalot Surely The Ramones taught those angry Brits a few things.

Lydon will tell you so...so would Joe if he could say anything from the great beyond. Actually he says so in Westway.

And in that context, you gotta give a nod to Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers as well. The Ramones flew home. The Heartbreakers stayed.
01-09-03 11:56 PM
~AzQb

SS'y!

But at the end of the night, they just HAD to come home. New York has never quite recovered!

And as far as Thunders...he did himself, and Joey WAs done.

No sympathy here for the Garcias of the world-- and in terms of time to record, Thunders was not-even-a-Bic to Jerry's pile of fatwood, ya know?

Ppppphhhhhhhhhhhhhhhwt.

~

01-10-03 12:03 AM
Sir Stonesalot ?????

What the hell is Jerry Garcia doing in this thread?

And what does he have to do with Johnny Thunders?

SS no understand-o.
01-10-03 12:16 AM
~AzQb

SS'y!

i knew you would say this! Answer: S-M-A-C-k. J-Un-K. D-o-P-E.

LonGeViTy, baby.

Thunders did what? How many records? And ppppppppppppphhhhhhhhwt. Gone.

DeRmoaners? over twenty years, baby.

Just no comparison-- especially since the Ramones' output was prolific, glorious, and sustained.

Thunders: sissypiss.

Joey: Too Tough To ReALlY Die
~
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST