ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

TD Banknorth Garden, Boston, MA - January 13, 2006
© AP Photo/Steven Senne with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Do you think The Stones doing the half-time show is considered a total sell-out?....From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 5th, 2006 11:10 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
jb wrote:

I tend to agree...but if theymust embarass us with new materail, please ONNYA or RJ...........They have used RJ many times this year on MNF
[Edited by jb]

I feel Jagger wants to promote his new Matt Cliffordesque single dear jb!
January 5th, 2006 11:13 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
Sports tickets are so expensive in the US every match ever played is exploitation without the Stones even being there.

So The Stones doing the Superbowl is not exploitation?
January 5th, 2006 11:51 AM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

True, but is doing the Superbowl exploitation? Could anyone work out the price of a Superbowl ticket, and guesstimate the added value caused by the Stones' prescence? I.e, I don't know what past prices have been etc.

I wasnt referring to the Super Bowl per se, just the concept of blind idolatry in everything the Stones do as being a way of leaving oneself open to exploitation

For what its worth, no I dont feel the Super Bowl is exploiting Stones fans. Its a free to air Tv event and its costing me nothing to watch it. And I would imagine not too many of the people attending are going to be there just because the Stones are.
January 5th, 2006 12:02 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

So The Stones doing the Superbowl is not exploitation?

I just feel like you are all making too big a deal with them playing Superbowl. THey are obviously going to extreme lengths to promote themselves, because they have little support these days. You all are acting holier than thou about everything they are doing. How is them playing the Superbowl exploiting YOU, or anyone else? Most of you will just have a choice of watching the damn thing, or going to get more beer from the fridge.
January 5th, 2006 12:08 PM
pdog The Stones are playing some songs that day...
If you don't like it change the channel. There's no issues, no sell out, nothing!
If you really wanna know my opinion read:
If you watch the game and the events bfore and during, then you must consider yourself the cause and the problem. Without consumers and profits, none of this shit would be happening.
If you don't like drinking soda, and having to see the commercials on TV, then stop drinking it and don't watch TV. All this finger pointing, complaining and bullshit, is retarded. We buy the stuff, we watch the shows ect... It's a choice and we make it for ourselves... No one is making this happen to us, it's just what happens and we decide how to respond.
The shock and disspopintment, gimme a break. This is just another pop culture event, with a boy band as entertainment.
Everyone has their opinions, and right to complain... BUT!!! We also have choices... This is the life We chose.
January 5th, 2006 12:41 PM
glencar If they had done this 10 or 16 years ago, that would have been cool. Now it just smells of desperation.
January 5th, 2006 12:51 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
If they had done this 10 or 16 years ago, that would have been cool. Now it just smells of desperation.

aGREED.
January 5th, 2006 12:53 PM
Sir Stonesalot The Stones were way too cool to play the Superbowl 10 or 15 years ago.

I really don't have a problem with this Superbowl thing. I mean in light of recent(and some not-so-recent) events.....how can this end up being any worse?

Besides, there is no point in getting angry about something in which you have zero control over.

I'll watch, and I hope they kick ass.
January 5th, 2006 01:01 PM
jb
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
The Stones were way too cool to play the Superbowl 10 or 15 years ago.

I really don't have a problem with this Superbowl thing. I mean in light of recent(and some not-so-recent) events.....how can this end up being any worse?

Besides, there is no point in getting angry about something in which you have zero control over.

I'll watch, and I hope they kick ass.

The 1/2 time show is allegedly a family show and that's exactly what the 2006 Stones are.. a nerdy, family oriented show.
January 5th, 2006 01:27 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
jb wrote:

The 1/2 time show is allegedly a family show and that's exactly what the 2006 Stones are.. a nerdy, family oriented show.

damn straight!

you forgot: Ivory Tower "rock-god" geezers whose alzheimers must be interfering with their ability to write decent rock n roll songs
[Edited by Bloozehound]
January 5th, 2006 01:28 PM
jb
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

damn straight!

you forgot Ivory Tower "rock-god" geezers who've forgot how to write rock n roll songs

Yet, I still go..like a drug addict, I can't stop!!!!
January 5th, 2006 01:29 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
jb wrote:

What, so I guess you can relate to How Can I Stop? then....
January 5th, 2006 01:36 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:

You still have a choice!
January 5th, 2006 07:31 PM
highwire I'm totally jacked for this show. I'm a football fan and always watch the game, but this year its a Stones show with football openes and closers.
Anytime the Stones play anywhere its a major event IMHO. Thats why I like this board so much. Each Stones performance is thoroughly reviewed.
Those football fans don't know how good theyr'e getting it.]
Should charge them double. They get a Stones show, thrown in.
Hope they appreciate it and beg for an encore.Cancel the rest of the game and let em keep playing.
January 5th, 2006 08:00 PM
quackenbush Besides the commercials, the Stones are the only reason I'm going to watch the Super Bowl.
January 5th, 2006 08:31 PM
Some Guy
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Is this a definite? if its him, then its confirmation, i guess

It damn sure looked like him. I was waiting to see him and there he was.
January 5th, 2006 11:26 PM
Paranoid_Android I just hope that Mick doesn't tear Keiths top off...have you seen that lately?!? He looks like an elephant w/ all those folds...yeeeeccchhhh!!!!!
January 6th, 2006 08:05 AM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
jb wrote:

Ha. I saw a picture of you. If you think the Stones is nerdy and family-oriented, you should have a look in the mirror pal.

The Stones are the Stones. They still define rock 'n roll better than anyone else. And if they play the Superbowl then that's rock 'n roll. You can go watch Eastenders mister.

AAAAAHHHH it's so nice to be a FAN.
[Edited by JumpingKentFlash]
January 6th, 2006 01:29 PM
PeerQueer If the Seahawks are there then so am I.

Hawks in the Super Bowl with Stones at halftime...

That will prove a great time!

As to the "Sell Out" issue - I saw Bob Dylan groan and growl in a panty commercial - and he's the coolest cat on the entire fucking planet, so fuck it all, ok?

I allow advertising on some of my buildings.

I guess I'm selling out - - I sure love cashing those checks though!

The Stones are alive - and appear well - GOD BLESS EM!
January 6th, 2006 04:43 PM
Sir Stonesalot >As to the "Sell Out" issue - I saw Bob Dylan groan and growl in a panty commercial - and he's the coolest cat on the entire fucking planet, so fuck it all, ok?<

Exactly.

Look, it's not like Bob wrote that song for an underwear commercial. Iggy didn't write "Lust For Life" to sell cruises. If some company is gonna throw a large check at ya for something you already did...it'd be silly to NOT cash in.

I think we can all agree that the Stones of today are all about cashing the check. We either accept it or we don't.

I accept it because they gave us Midnight Rambler.
January 6th, 2006 04:51 PM
Saint Sway its not about just taking a check to let a phone company use your song

this is totally different

playing the Super Bowl halftime show is just so Tom Jones

its just another Vegas moment for what was once the coolest band ever

half time shows are for the Garth Brooks, Mariah Careys, Shania Twains, Janet Jacksons and Timberlakes of the world

theres is absolutely no way to do it and NOT look cheesy.

It cant be done.

its a cheesy event. Anyone who plays it looks cheesy. So just let the cheesy bands play it.

Stones should of never of signed on. They dont need the money.

just another sign of how out of touch they are
January 7th, 2006 12:41 AM
highwire I accept it because they gave us Star Star and Respectable not to mention Midnight Rambler and about a 100 other songs.
Yes it could be cheesy but I don't care. Great exposure. Will show mainstream Americans that don't go to the shows, the Stones can still rock and always will.
January 10th, 2006 10:31 AM
wgwalsh The Super Bowl will allow the boys to play their music to the biggest audience in the world.

They should play only one track; for about 10-12 minutes. That track should be Jumpin' Jack Flash complete with the brass section, backing vocalists and Billy Wyman playing double bass with Darryl Jones.
January 11th, 2006 06:05 AM
IanBillen [quote]wgwalsh wrote:
The Super Bowl will allow the boys to play their music to the biggest audience in the world.

They should play only one track; for about 10-12 minutes. That track should be Jumpin' Jack Flash complete with the brass section, backing vocalists and Billy Wyman playing double bass with Darryl Jones.

Ahhhh Yes. Mr. Walsh,

I was just wondering what you may think of this. Hmmmm lots of stuff in your scenario. What about your boy Mick Taylor? Would he be permitted by Keif Riff Hard to join up for this great meeting? Would Mr. Taylor be mistaken for a float? Could the worlds audience handle all this? Hmmm. Interesting thoughts Mr. Walsh, Interesting indeed.

Let's hope our Mick doesn't break out the football pants. I think he knows better...

Ian Billen
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)