ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Olympiastadion, Berlin, Germany - 21st July 2006
© with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ROLLING STONES - KEITH RICHARDS PARDONED BY HUCKABEE Return to archive
4th January 2008 11:28 PM
moy ROLLING STONES - KEITH RICHARDS PARDONED BY HUCKABEE

Republican presidential candidate MIKE HUCKABEE signed off as Arkansas Governor by handing ROLLING STONES rocker KEITH RICHARDS a pardon. The former hellraiser had a 32-year-old traffic violation on his record, until rock fan and bass guitar player Huckabee offered to wipe his slate clean when he left office last year (07). Huckabee - who leads the race to represent the Republican Party in the battle for the White House - reveals, "One of my last acts as governor was to issue a pardon for a traffic violation that he had in 1975 when he and (bandmate) Ronnie Wood were driving through Arkansas. He got pulled over for a reckless-driving charge. "I was a college student when it happened, and I was so embarrassed. I thought 'Golly, we finally got The Rolling Stones in Arkansas, and what do we do?' "They played a concert while I was governor, and I was invited backstage to meet the band. I'm having this conversation with Keith, and he's telling me that he'd been in Arkansas before. And I said, 'Keith, I can pardon you and get that off your record. You can have a clean start in Arkansas.'"

05/01/2008 01:46

4th January 2008 11:36 PM
glencar This happened months ago.
5th January 2008 03:58 AM
corgi37 yeah, i remember this. Fundy Christians maybe aint that all bad?

But fucked if i ever want to find out.
5th January 2008 10:40 AM
gypsy Fuck Huckabee. The dude's son is like a serial killer in training.

Check it, bleeds:

A Son’s Past Deeds Come Back To Bite Huckabee
By Michael Isikoff and Holly Bailey
NEWSWEEK
Updated: 2:51 PM ET Dec 15, 2007
As Mike Huckabee gains in the polls, the former Arkansas governor is finding that his record in office is getting more scrutiny. One issue likely to get attention is his handling of a sensitive family matter: allegations that one of his sons was involved in the hanging of a stray dog at a Boy Scout camp in 1998. The incident led to the dismissal of David Huckabee, then 17, from his job as a counselor at Camp Pioneer in Hatfield, Ark. It also prompted the local prosecuting attorney— bombarded with complaints generated by a national animal-rights group—to write a letter to the Arkansas state police seeking help investigating whether David and another teenager had violated state animal-cruelty laws. The state police never granted the request, and no charges were ever filed. But John Bailey, then the director of Arkansas's state police, tells NEWSWEEK that Governor Huckabee's chief of staff and personal lawyer both leaned on him to write a letter officially denying the local prosecutor's request. Bailey, a career officer who had been appointed chief by Huckabee's Democratic predecessor, said he viewed the lawyer's intervention as improper and terminated the conversation. Seven months later, he was called into Huckabee's office and fired. "I've lost confidence in your ability to do your job," Bailey says Huckabee told him. One reason Huckabee cited was "I couldn't get you to help me with my son when I had that problem," according to Bailey. "Without question, [Huckabee] was making a conscious attempt to keep the state police from investigating his son," says I. C. Smith, the former FBI chief in Little Rock, who worked closely with Bailey and called him a "courageous" and "very solid" professional.

Huckabee called Bailey's account "totally untrue" and described him as a "bitter" exemployee. "I asked him to resign because he had so alienated the entire state police," he said. "It had nothing to do with my son." Brenda Turner, Huckabee's then chief of staff, and Kevin Crass, the Huckabee family lawyer, also disputed Bailey's account, although both acknowledged talking to him about the dog killing. "I asked him, 'Is it normal for the state police to … investigate something that happened at a Boy Scout camp?' " Turner says. "We wanted the same treatment that anybody else would get." (Animal cruelty in Arkansas is a misdemeanor, not a felony.)

The details of the incident remain murky. The Animal Legal Defense Fund got an anonymous fax that summer alleging that David Huckabee and another youth had been involved in the hanging of a stray dog at the camp on July 11. A local animal-rights activist, Joyce Hillard, later contacted the camp director. Notes of Hillard's report to the defense fund read, "Boys confessed & were fired. Dir. is making excuses, saying dog was sic & boys were putting him out of his misery." (The director told NEWSWEEK only that a stray dog was "put down" and that the counselors were fired for violating the Scout credo to be "kind.") The father of the other counselor was quoted by the Arkansas Democrat Gazette in August 1998 as saying that his son found the dog "hung over a limb and choking." David Huckabee did not respond to requests for comment. (In April of this year, he was arrested—and paid a fine—when he forgot to remove a loaded gun from his carry-on luggage at Little Rock airport.) His father told NEWSWEEK that his son did not engage in "intentional torture." "There was a dog that apparently had mange and was absolutely, I guess, emaciated." A campaign official says David "regrets" the incident and notes that he later made Eagle Scout

[Edited by gypsy]
5th January 2008 10:50 AM
gimmekeef Vick the prick......
5th January 2008 10:52 AM
Ten Thousand Motels That's the best thing about elections.....getting to dig up the dirt on all the candidates.

5th January 2008 11:03 AM
Nellcote How cool would it have been to be in that car with Keith & Ronnie? I drove with friends from Nashville to New Orleans, we were going to the Super Bowl in '02. We witnessed barroom fights, drunks at gas stations, early am breakfasts at Waffle House, had some car load of hoods ram the back of our car, so we would get out to get mugged, which we did not. All the while singing gut bucket Hank, Stones, Georgia Satts. Road trips are the best trips...'specially in the great South of the Mason Dixon line in the USA...
5th January 2008 11:08 AM
glencar I took a road trip through the Southwest once. Gorgeous & no car loads of hoods!
5th January 2008 11:19 AM
akula www.ronpaul2008.com
5th January 2008 12:37 PM
Sioux You know....I wouldn't even consider running for any political office unless I had such a squeakly clean background that nothing could be found and used against me. Ok, so I had ONE speeding ticket---in '77. I was going 39 in a 25 zone. So, maybe I should throw my hat into the ring. Is it too late?
5th January 2008 03:29 PM
gypsy How can this man run the country when he can't even raise his children properly?
5th January 2008 06:08 PM
tumbled AGREED!! any man with obvious disinterest of animals has NO VOTE FROM ME

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)