ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Olympiastadion, Berlin, Germany - 21st July 2006
© with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Otis RULES Return to archive Page: 1 2
11th December 2007 12:32 AM
Fadeout_Freedom I listened to "Fa Fa Fa Fa Fa" and "Cigarettes and Coffee" on my WMP before leaving work today. Hopefully some others will shuffle back into the rotation tomorrow.
11th December 2007 12:39 AM
Prodigal Son Indeed, he does. Big influence on Mick and the boys obviously. Here's what I've got on my itunes, all from one of the anthologies they've put out of his work (Dreams to Remember):

Shout Bamalama 1:58 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 80

Security 2:39 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 80

Chained And Bound 2:40 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 80

Mr. Pitiful 2:44 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 100

That's How Strong My Love Is 2:25 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 100

I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now) 3:15 Otis Redding
Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 100

Respect 2:11 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 100

Ole Man Trouble 2:38 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 80

Change Gonna Come 4:16 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 100

Satisfaction 2:46 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 100

Down In The Valley 3:00 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 100

Shake 2:42 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 100

My Girl 2:57 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 80

You Don't Miss Your Water 2:52 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 80

Cupid 3:10 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 100 1 29/10/07 12:10 AM

I Can't Turn You Loose 2:49 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 100 1 29/10/07 12:07 AM

Cigarettes And Coffee 4:00 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 80

It's Growing 2:50 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 100 1 29/10/07 12:04 AM

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song) 2:44 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 100 1 29/10/07 12:01 AM

Try A Little Tenderness 3:48 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 1) R&B/Soul 100 2 28/11/07 6:42 PM

You Left The Water Running 2:47 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 2) R&B/Soul 80 1 03/12/07 12:22 PM

Trick Or Treat 3:13 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 2) R&B/Soul 80 1 28/11/07 6:21 PM

Tramp 3:03 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 2) R&B/Soul 100 2 28/11/07 4:13 PM

Merry Christmas, Baby 2:30 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 2) R&B/Soul 100 1 28/10/07 11:52 PM

Glory Of Love 2:51 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 2) R&B/Soul 100 1 28/10/07 11:49 PM

Tell The Truth 3:13 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 2) R&B/Soul 60

The Happy Song (Dum-Dum) 2:45 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 2) R&B/Soul 80

Hard To Handle 2:20 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 2) R&B/Soul 100 1 28/10/07 11:46 PM

Direct Me 2:19 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 2) R&B/Soul 80

Love Man 2:18 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 2) R&B/Soul 80

Look At The Girl 2:38 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 2) R&B/Soul 80

I'm A Changed Man 2:22 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 2) R&B/Soul 100 1 28/10/07 11:44 PM

(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay 2:50 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 2) R&B/Soul 100 1 28/10/07 11:41 PM

Shake (Live) 2:57 Otis Redding Dreams To Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology (Disc 2) R&B/Soul 100 1 28/10/07 11:39 PM

I also like (from what got omitted for some reason): These Arms of Mine, That's What My Heart Needs, Pain in My Heart, Come to Me, Down in the Valley, My Lover's Prayer, Lovey Dovey, Let Me Come on Home, I Love You More Than Words Could Say, I've Got Dreams to Remember, Amen, Look at the Girl, The Match Game. Of course, Live in Europe at Live at Monterey were excellent live disc too.
11th December 2007 12:53 AM
mojoman otis!!! my man!!!
11th December 2007 01:06 AM
sammy davis jr. Yes, when it comes to safety, Otis elevators rule!!!
18th December 2007 08:26 AM
barking paul Yes, Otis lifts you to new heights.
18th December 2007 09:03 AM
Ronnie Richards If you want to get in a festive spirit put on Otis' versions of "White Christmas" and "Merry Christmas Baby"...

Possibly the greatest Christmas songs ever..
18th December 2007 09:15 AM
Nasty Habits I'll agree with that second statement, Ronnie, but White Christmas is hardly festive. Sounds more like a funeral. One of the classic ironic "I hate whitey" songs of all time. Goin' out to brother Moon.

The Hucklebuck! Nothing Can Change This Love! Day Tripper! Fat Girl! You Left the Water Running! I'm Sick Y'all. And more more more.

Oh, and this one. This is from the Stax Review Live In Norway DVD that was finally officially released.

18th December 2007 01:38 PM
texile otis is sublime....
i didn't really appreciate him until i rediscovered the stax vaults this year....
i'd always loved stax - but otis' complete production was greater than i had thought.

it's funky, countrified, gritty and honest.
19th December 2007 12:07 AM
Sioux Otis--tops in his field. No contest.
19th December 2007 01:24 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
I'll agree with that second statement, Ronnie, but White Christmas is hardly festive. Sounds more like a funeral. One of the classic ironic "I hate whitey" songs of all time. Goin' out to brother Moon.

The Hucklebuck! Nothing Can Change This Love! Day Tripper! Fat Girl! You Left the Water Running! I'm Sick Y'all. And more more more.

Oh, and this one. This is from the Stax Review Live In Norway DVD that was finally officially released.

I should of just gone to bed and read this one in the am.
19th December 2007 10:51 AM
Nasty Habits What's really annoying about the YouTube version above is that he actually does like three more, progressively faster and more intense, curtain calls of that last part. That DVD is essential viewing.

19th December 2007 11:16 AM
Riffhard
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
I'll agree with that second statement, Ronnie, but White Christmas is hardly festive. Sounds more like a funeral. One of the classic ironic "I hate whitey" songs of all time. Goin' out to brother Moon.

Oh I don't know about all that Nasty. I love his version of White Christmas. I don't hear any "I hate whitey" at all in there. To me it just sounds like Otis' particular brand of sweat drenched handkerchief soul, and that is always a good thing.

I remember as a young'un going to see the double bill of Otis at Monterrey and Jimi Plays Monterrey at the midnight movies. I am not at all ashamed to admit that I enjoyed Otis' set much more than Hendrix's legendary triumph at that festival. While I fully dug the Hedrix set as well, it just did not have the same kind of soulful impact that Otis always brought to the party. His take on Satisfaction is the most inspired Stones' cover ever.

Riffy
19th December 2007 11:44 AM
Fiji Joe Otis Redding ranks amongst my all time favorites...I'm hard pressed to think of a better vocalist...ever...The man owned everything he ever sang..."Tramp" neveer ceases to make me laugh..."Woman you goofy"

Is anyone aware of any outtakes of his?...I'd be interested in hearing them...to see if even his mistakes were perfection
19th December 2007 05:52 PM
texile
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Oh I don't know about all that Nasty. I love his version of White Christmas. I don't hear any "I hate whitey" at all in there. To me it just sounds like Otis' particular brand of sweat drenched handkerchief soul, and that is always a good thing.

I remember as a young'un going to see the double bill of Otis at Monterrey and Jimi Plays Monterrey at the midnight movies. I am not at all ashamed to admit that I enjoyed Otis' set much more than Hendrix's legendary triumph at that festival. While I fully dug the Hedrix set as well, it just did not have the same kind of soulful impact that Otis always brought to the party. His take on Satisfaction is the most inspired Stones' cover ever.

Riffy

it's funny -
watching the monterey pop festival now -
it's good, but it all seems so dated -
EXCEPT otis.
great soul music is timeless...
19th December 2007 06:48 PM
TampabayStone
19th December 2007 06:53 PM
TampabayStone I got mine...Women you got yours too.
19th December 2007 07:50 PM
Brainbell Jangler The Otis! box set is a prized part of my collection. It's a shame that so many only know "Dock of the Bay."

Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead has said that he was tripping his brains out at Monterey and was convinced he had seen God when he watched Otis perform.
19th December 2007 07:56 PM
Sioux Oh yeah....the Otis box set is one of the best things I ever put down money for...
19th December 2007 07:58 PM
Sioux
quote:
texile wrote:

it's funny -
watching the monterey pop festival now -
it's good, but it all seems so dated -
EXCEPT otis.
great soul music is timeless...

I agree that some of the music seems dated. I love Hendrix a lot, I really do. But somehow he seems so "stuck in the 60's". But I tell you what, I never turn the radio dial if he's on...
19th December 2007 08:23 PM
stonedinaustralia i almost burst into tears just reading the song titles

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
19th December 2007 09:21 PM
Fiji Joe OTIS REDDING
Tramp
Feat. Carla Thomas)

Tramp!
What you call me?
Tramp.
You didn't!
You don't wear continental clothes, or Stetson hats.
Well I tell you one dog-gone thing. It makes me feel good to know one thing. I know I'm a lover.
Matter of opinion.
That's all right, Mama was. Papa too. And I'm the only child. Lovin' is all I know to do.
You know what, Otis?
What?
You're country.
That's all right.
You straight from the Georgia woods.
That's good.
You know what? You wear overalls, and big old brogan shoes, and you need a haircut, Tramp.
Haircut? Woman, you foolin'...ooh...I'm a lover. Mama was. Grandmama, Papa too. Boogaloo. All that stuff. And I'm the only son-of-a-gun this side of the Sun. Tramp!
You know what, Otis? I don't care what you say, you're still a tramp.
What?
That's right. You haven't even got a fat bankroll in your pocket. You probably haven't even got twenty-five cents.
I got six Cadillacs, five Lincolns, four Fords, six Mercuries, three T-Birds, Mustang, ooooooohhh...I'm a lover. Mama was. Papa too. I tell you one thing.
Well tell me.
I'm the only son-of-a-gun this side of the Sun.
You're a tramp, Otis.
No I'm not.
I don't care what you say, you're still a tramp.
What's wrong with that?
Look here. You ain't got no money.
I got everything.
You can't buy me all those minks and sables and all that stuff I want.
I can buy you minks, rats, frogs, squirrels, rabbits, ...anything you want, Woman.
Look, you can go out in the Georgia woods and find them, Baby.
Oh, you foolin'.
You're still a tramp.
That's all right.
You a tramp, Otis. You just a tramp.
That's all right.
You wear overalls. You need a haircut, Baby. Cut off some of that hair off your head. You think you a lover, huh?
20th December 2007 03:01 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Oh I don't know about all that Nasty. I love his version of White Christmas.

Well, yeah, so do I, as I said up there in my post.

quote:

I don't hear any "I hate whitey" at all in there. To me it just sounds like Otis' particular brand of sweat drenched handkerchief soul, and that is always a good thing.

Hmmm . . . well, I think I was actually making a one liner, a joke, son, about the Hatin' Whitey thing, I mean, Otis is no hater.

But I do think that "White Christmas" is peformed with a certain sort of irony that gives it its devastating impact. I mean that version is SAD. It is SO SAD, and SO SLOW, slower than "I've Been Loving You", slowed to a funeral tempo, and his voice is not doing the "devoted to you forever" thing. It is heartbreaking, resigned, and over it.

Kind of like I am with this whole Xmas thing at the moment, but that's another story.

Now why in the world would OTIS take the honkiest of American Christmas songs, a song so infused with gentle evocative nostalgia that it is, like, the biggest selling number of all time and shit in its Crosby incarnation, and "handkerchief" it?

All I can tell ya is that to THESE ears, and coming from a guy who wrote "Respect", who did the second best version of "A Change Is Gonna Come", there is more than a little subtextual meaning to the phrase "WHITE Christmas" in his performance, and it seems unlikely that that is purely an accident. It's not like Otis couldn't whoop the joy on a tune if he wanted to.

quote:

Riffy

Yeah. Monterey Pop is ridiculously great.

I seem to remember that they only had 20 minutes to do a 30 minute set, and instead of cutting numbers they decided to go ahead and do the entire thing in 20 minutes, which is why the Monterey Pop versions of those songs are so much faster than other versions.

20th December 2007 04:28 PM
PartyDoll MEG Ain't nobody could sing it like Otis

20th December 2007 04:33 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Ain't nobody could sing it like Otis

Love the guy.superb talent...but Marvin Gaye/Sam Cooke/Nat King Cole/Smokey Robinson were as good or better imho...
20th December 2007 04:37 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Love the guy.superb talent...but Marvin Gaye/Sam Cooke/Nat King Cole/Smokey Robinson were as good or better imho...

Teddy P?

Otis works you into a frenzy though.
20th December 2007 04:43 PM
PartyDoll MEG I agree with Marvin and Sammy, gimmekeef. But the other 2, I can take 'em or leave 'em.

Feej you mentioned Tramp....
I love Otis' album with Carla Thomas-"King and Queen"
20th December 2007 05:10 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
I agree with Marvin and Sammy, gimmekeef. But the other 2, I can take 'em or leave 'em.

Feej you mentioned Tramp....
I love Otis' album with Carla Thomas-"King and Queen"

Isnt taste a fun thing.and please I wasnt knockin Otis..guy could flat out bring it...one of my fave vocal styles of alltime is Levon Helm...he's released a cd after his throat cancer scare which is quite good...Dirt Farmer..Merry Xmas my friend!
20th December 2007 05:31 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Isnt taste a fun thing.and please I wasnt knockin Otis..guy could flat out bring it...one of my fave vocal styles of alltime is Levon Helm...he's released a cd after his throat cancer scare which is quite good...Dirt Farmer..Merry Xmas my friend!

Yep..Dirt Farmer IS good!! Hope Santa treats you right, keef!!
20th December 2007 07:06 PM
pdog
21st December 2007 07:29 PM
texile
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

all geniuses -
but for me, otis had that grit that came straight out of the 'Georgia woods'.
he retained that countrified influence and i love that...
it gave his music that difference.
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)