ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Olympiastadion, Berlin, Germany - 21st July 2006
© with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I listened to Voodoo Lounge this morning... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
7th December 2007 02:40 AM
Child of the Moon God. I just fucking love hijakced threads.

/sarcasm
7th December 2007 03:36 AM
Ronnie Richards Keith's two songs + Love Is Strong are the last true Stones classics.

However, the album is wildly uneven..
Sweethearts Together is pure crap..

You Got It Made should have been on it...
7th December 2007 05:29 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
pdog wrote:
do it right, you get this!

PDog where do you find all those chicks 'pictures??? you need to give me the link man!!
7th December 2007 06:22 AM
andrews27
quote:
glencar wrote:
I think it's their worst effort since the Black & Blue 8 song album of 1976.

I think Black & Blue is pretty fuckin' good.
7th December 2007 07:05 AM
Zack
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
blinded by rainbows
mean disposition
you got me rocking
and, suck on the jugular

these are my faves from this cd

As usual, you picked the worst songs on the album.
7th December 2007 07:06 AM
Zack
quote:
pdog wrote:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And this is the ugliest chick in the thread too, right platter?
7th December 2007 07:40 AM
Mr Jurkka
quote:
pdog wrote:
Joish... she wants you to do it right!

Damn!
7th December 2007 08:21 AM
Gazza
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
blinded by rainbows
mean disposition
you got me rocking
and, suck on the jugular

these are my faves from this cd

GASP!!
7th December 2007 08:27 AM
Gazza
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
Keith's two songs + Love Is Strong are the last true Stones classics.

However, the album is wildly uneven..
Sweethearts Together is pure crap..

You Got It Made should have been on it...

Keith's two songs are magnificent - especially 'Thru & Thru'. That bit where the drums first kick in and the way he GROWLS 'we're OHHHHHH-PEN 24 hours baby' later on give me goosbumps every time. I was there the night he debuted it at Madison Square Garden in 2002, too - and he nailed it first time. Best song on the album IMO.

agree that its uneven - just a bit too long, but with it being their first album in 5 years they had recorded a lot of songs and just wanted to throw on a few extras.
7th December 2007 08:49 AM
egon brand new car & sweehearts are horrible
and am no big fan of Blinded By Rainbows,
but for the rest: I love it!
7th December 2007 03:31 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Zack wrote:

As usual, you picked the worst songs on the album.

well excuse meeeeeeeee
7th December 2007 04:48 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Keith's two songs are magnificent - especially 'Thru & Thru'. That bit where the drums first kick in and the way he GROWLS 'we're OHHHHHH-PEN 24 hours baby' later on give me goosbumps every time. I was there the night he debuted it at Madison Square Garden in 2002, too - and he nailed it first time. Best song on the album IMO.

agree that its uneven - just a bit too long, but with it being their first album in 5 years they had recorded a lot of songs and just wanted to throw on a few extras.

I thought he nailed it perfectly when I seen it live for the first time as well in Chicago in 2003.

Great song!
7th December 2007 05:11 PM
Gazza It was used very effectively as the final song in the series of "The Sopranos" around that time, as I recall.

Thats around the time I stopped subscribing to the Undercover digest. Couldnt believe people were asking - having seen the Sopranos episode - what this great song was and which of his solo albums it was on.....
7th December 2007 05:11 PM
mrhipfl I really like the album a lot. I like the live version of thru & thru much better than the studio version though. The studio version kinda drags and doesn't really create that ambiance that the live version does. The worst is killer, too. Mick's vocals create a really nice touch. Love is strong is a great groover and I REALLY love YGMR. The solo is awesome and I love the way it ends with Mick screaming on top of the riff and slide guitar until it just falls apart. Brand new car would be a lot better if it was about a chick rather than a car imo.
7th December 2007 05:12 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:
It was used very effectively as the final song in the series of "The Sopranos" around that time, as I recall.

Thats around the time I stopped subscribing to the Undercover digest. Couldnt believe people were asking - having seen the Sopranos episode - what this great song was and which of his solo albums it was on.....

you really were left with no option but to unsubscribe, I understand your decision.
7th December 2007 05:15 PM
Gazza
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
Brand new car would be a lot better if it was about a chick rather than a car imo.

but it IS about a chick - the whole song is a metaphor about having a new 'squeeze'....

all that 'open the hood' and 'check if the oil smells good', 'smells like caviar' stuff etc...
7th December 2007 05:42 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:

but it IS about a chick - the whole song is a metaphor about having a new 'squeeze'....

all that 'open the hood' and 'check if the oil smells good', 'smells like caviar' stuff etc...

I think the song would've been better if it were about neither a car nor a chick.
7th December 2007 10:08 PM
Soldatti Their best album post Tattoo You, Love Is Strong is their last "near classic" song, YGMR is good, Keith's songs are very good, I Go Wild rocks like hell, Baby Break It Down is nice, Out Of Tears is a pretty ballad, a couple of dead dogs there but overall 11-12 great songs.

Post TY albums IMO:
Undercover - 6.5/10
Dirty Work - 7/10
Steel Wheels - 6/10
Voodoo Lounge - 7.5/10
Bridges To Babylon - 5/10
A Bigger Bang - 4/10
7th December 2007 10:25 PM
glencar I completely reject those ratings. COMPLETELY. Your praise for Baby Break It Down says it all.
7th December 2007 11:00 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Gazza wrote:

right on, amigo

that's actually one of my fav's from VL, love all the dirty innuendo, good and sleazy just like a Stones song should
8th December 2007 08:49 AM
Gazza There's an alternate take of it on one of the VL bootlegs which is basically a duet between Mick and Keith and which is much better, I think.
8th December 2007 11:50 AM
gimmekeef The outtakes are better imho and have such a better groove and feel.Stew/Brew whatever...Love Is Strong live from New Orleans 94 is amazing and they should have kept working it cause it had Rambler potential...
8th December 2007 12:17 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Gazza wrote:

......whoops. :/

8th December 2007 12:33 PM
PartyDoll MEG I guess JB hijacked every thread yesterday...

And what is the RO World gonna do now that he has mastered it!!

On topic:
Voodoo Lounge and the outtakes is good Stones!! Only weak links in my opinion are New Faces, Mean Disposition, and Blinded By Rainbows. I must admit I am sick of You Got Me Rockin and The Worst, but that is just because they need to take a rest in the concert rotation.

And we do have the Moon Is Up Appreciation Club- right Egon?!!
8th December 2007 01:02 PM
Gazza
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:

I was there the only night it was ever performed (Shepherds Bush)..and it was really superb when played live.

(unless youre referring to our little Dutchie friend..)
[Edited by Gazza]
8th December 2007 01:08 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I was there the only night it was ever performed (Shepherds Bush)..and it was really superb when played live.

(unless youre referring to our little Dutchie friend..)
[Edited by Gazza]

Oh you always have something to gloat about, my Friend...

We of the Moon Is Up Appreciation Club (secret handshake and all) will never have that to brag about. Of course you can join our little club and will automatically be made President..given you are the only one to have heard it "Live"
8th December 2007 01:12 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
I guess JB hijacked every thread yesterday...

And what is the RO World gonna do now that he has mastered it!!

On topic:
Voodoo Lounge and the outtakes is good Stones!! Only weak links in my opinion are New Faces, Mean Disposition, and Blinded By Rainbows. I must admit I am sick of You Got Me Rockin and The Worst, but that is just because they need to take a rest in the concert rotation.

Agreed...I'm listening now to a remastered compilation I made about 4 years ago, which includes some of the boot stuff...I did good work...but I have to give the Stones all the credit..I like all those "weak links" you mentioned...Not so fond of Moon is Up (although I like Egon - but not like that), I Go Wild and Baby Break it Down
8th December 2007 01:28 PM
Gazza
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Oh you always have something to gloat about, my Friend...

We of the Moon Is Up Appreciation Club (secret handshake and all) will never have that to brag about. Of course you can join our little club and will automatically be made President..given you are the only one to have heard it "Live"

Ach...sure when you've heard the only live renditions of Keith singing "Its a Long Way To Tipperary" and "Loch Lomond" just a week apart, 'Moon is Up' pales in comparison...
8th December 2007 01:41 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Ach...sure when you've heard the only live renditions of Keith singing "Its a Long Way To Tipperary" and "Loch Lomond" just a week apart, 'Moon is Up' pales in comparison...

Oh Dear Lord....I give up!!

I have a few "once in a lifetime" experiences, but (un)fortunately they don't involve Rolling Stones' singing!
8th December 2007 11:09 PM
Egbert VL always puts me to sleep - great production though - I like Love Is Strong, The Worst & Thru And Thru - the rest is average at best.

I've mentioned this before - the best songs from Wandering Spirit & Main Offender would've made for a MUCH better record.

The dropoff in quality from TY to what came after is so steep that calling something the "best since TY" is hardly an endorsement.

Just keeping it real....
Page: 1 2 3 4

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)