ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ray Davies Shot In New Orleans Return to archive
01-05-04 01:43 PM
glencar From Shidoobee:

Kinks Ray Davies Shot in New Orleans This is from CCNcom. BBC On-Line has a similar piece.

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana -- The singer of the Kinks, Ray Davies, is recovering in hospital after he was shot in the leg by a mugger, police said.

Davies, 58, who penned the hit singles "You Really Got Me," "Tired of Waiting for You" and "Sunny Afternoon," was fired on as he chased two men who had snatched a bag belonging to a woman he was with. The woman was not injured, police said.

The Londoner was in New Orleans, Louisiana, at the time of the attack, the British Press Association quoted city police as saying.

Captain Marlon Defillo said: "He was walking east of the French Quarter with a female friend.

"Two men walked up. They apparently took the female friend's purse. He chased them. One of those persons turned and shot him in the leg and we have arrested one person."

Davies' manager Deke Arlon confirmed Davies had been shot in the leg. "He was in New Orleans and was leaving a restaurant with his girlfriend last night," he told PA.

"They were attacked by two muggers who stole a handbag. He chased after them and he was shot in the leg.

"He's in hospital but it is not really serious. He should be up and about in a day or so.

"The message that came back to me was that he is in good spirits."

Arlon declined to name the hospital which is treating the star, or the partner who was with him at the time of the attack.

Davies was awarded a CBE last week in Britain's New Year honors list for services to music.

The Kinks were one of the most influential bands of the 1960s and had hits into the 1980s. The group's albums include "Face to Face," "Something Else by the Kinks," "The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society" and "Low Budget." Davies continues to write and perform four decades later.
01-05-04 01:47 PM
SHINE A LIGHT all the best to mr. davies!!
01-05-04 01:53 PM
Nasty Habits YIKES.

'Tis the season, I guess.

When I was small I believed in santa claus
Though I knew it was my dad
And I would hang up my stocking at christmas
Open my presents and I�d be glad

But the last time I played father christmas
I stood outside a department store
A gang of kids came over and mugged me
And knocked my reindeer to the floor

They said:
Father christmas, give us some money
Don�t mess around with those silly toys.
We�ll beat you up if you don�t hand it over
We want your bread so don�t make us annoyed
Give all the toys to the little rich boys

Don�t give my brother a steve austin outfit
Don�t give my sister a cuddly toy
We don�t want a jigsaw or monopoly money
We only want the real mccoy

We�ll beat you up if you make us annoyed
Don�t mess around with those silly toys

But give my daddy a job �cause he needs one
He�s got lots of mouths to feed
But if you�ve got one, I�ll have a machine gun
So I can scare all the kids down the street

We got no time for your silly toys

Have yourself a merry merry christmas
Have yourself a good time
But remember the kids who got nothin�
While you�re drinkin� down your wine

We got no time for your silly toys
We want your bread, so don�t make us annoyed
01-05-04 06:26 PM
gypsy Was he there for the football game?
01-05-04 06:33 PM
stonedinaustralia ******BAD JOKE ALERT******

did ray say to his assailant - "You Really Got Me"???
01-05-04 06:56 PM
glencar New Orleans is a great town but it's definitely a city to keep your watch up.
01-05-04 10:21 PM
Taptrick Wow. I'll be in the French Quarter for a convention next Saturday. Anyone know the name of the restaurant? Would be cool to check it out and talk to some workers/locals.
01-05-04 10:40 PM
sammy davis jr. I'd stay away from that shithole.....
01-06-04 03:14 AM
UGot2Rollme glad to hear Ray is going to be ok. Even if it is with a limp, I wish he and Dave would get back on the road together again - it's been over 8 years since a Kinks tour.
Last saw them in 1993 in Atlanta and it was quite a show.
01-06-04 05:20 AM
JumpingKentFlash Hope he recovers. Ray Davies is one of the all-time best songwriters from the sixties.
01-06-04 06:48 AM
Hannalee A few more details in The Times:

Kinks singer shot chasing a mugger in New Orleans
From Chris Ayres in Los Angeles

RAY DAVIES, the lead singer of the Kinks, was said to be �very lucky� to be alive yesterday after being shot while chasing an armed mugger through the streets of New Orleans.
The British rock icon, 58, was shot in the leg after chasing a man who had held a gun to his girlfriend and demanded her bag. Davies remained �cool as a cucumber� during the attack, Paul Charles, the singer�s agent, said.

The wiry Davies, who wrote Waterloo Sunset among other classic 1960s hits, was on holiday with his girlfriend in New Orleans, famous for its jazz clubs and bars, when they were attacked after leaving a restaurant at about 8pm.

Davies initially refused to hand over cash, but gave the mugger money when he produced a gun. As the assailant and an accomplice ran off, Davies gave chase. When the mugger heard Davies�s footsteps he turned and fired, hitting the singer. The mugger then got into a car and fled.

�Ray was very lucky,� said Mr Charles. �He is OK and his spirits are good. The bullet went right through his leg and he got to hospital quickly enough. I have just spoken to him and he was very clinical, and there was no fear as he recalled what happened to him. If you think what could have been, it is a great start to the year � that�s the way he is looking at it. He is saying, �I am here and alive�.�

Davies�s girlfriend, who has not been named, took down the registration number of the mugger�s car. Jerome Barra, 25, was later arrested and charged with armed robbery and aggravated battery.

01-06-04 10:25 AM
nankerphelge New Orleans is a bit rough!

I lived there in '85 -- definitely a good place to go out with a crowd! Certain parts of the French Quarter are tourist-friendly -- but wander away and it gets seedy quick!

I hope Ray is doing well.
01-06-04 10:54 AM
Joey " New Orleans is a great town but it's definitely a city to keep your watch up. "

................or else you'll get your Poop Packed !

01-06-04 10:58 AM
Gimme Shelter That sucks!!!! Get well soon, Ray.
01-06-04 12:12 PM
Martha I feel fortunate to have seen the Kinks in either 1978 or 1979 at a gorgeous venue in Cincinnati. Unforgetttable night.

I'm grateful to learn Ray is ok. Thanks for posting the info everyone.

01-06-04 12:14 PM
telecaster Does New Orleans a have concealed weapons law?

Wouldn't it be nice if Ray pulled out a 44 mag and blew the guys head clean off?

01-06-04 12:18 PM
Joey " Wouldn't it be nice if Ray pulled out a 44 mag and blew the guys head clean off? "

You make Joey smile .
01-06-04 12:34 PM
telecaster
quote:
Joey wrote:

You make Joey smile .

joey remember back in '70 in Cam Rhan Bay when we stumbled out of "The Boom Boom Room" and the street hooker tried to pick pocket you and it turned out she actually had stole my watch?

Oh man, those were the days

I miss LBJ
01-06-04 02:00 PM
Joey " joey remember back in '70 in Cam Rhan Bay when we stumbled out of "The Boom Boom Room" and the street hooker tried to pick pocket you and it turned out she actually had stole my watch?

Oh man, those were the days

I miss LBJ "

Amen , My Vietnam Brother ...........................

http://centerstage.net/restaurants/Cam-Rahn-Bay.html

Oh , you Mean :

http://www.cam.org/~rsilver/vietnamrem.htm

Jai Cake ?!?!

01-06-04 02:18 PM
telecaster You make tele chuckle on a zero degree Chicago day

What I wouldn't give to be back in that hell-hole
01-06-04 02:23 PM
Joey " You make tele chuckle on a zero degree Chicago day

What I wouldn't give to be back in that hell-hole "

I hear ya screaming my Cub loving , Bartman despising , White Sox's Comisky Field renovating , Bulls really sucking , WGNTV watching , Eli's partaking , Dan Roan needs a hair transplanting , Alyson Payne at age fifty STILL looks hot - ing pal .

The Wall Was Just Warmed Over Arthur .

J. Cake !