ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Elvis Live Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-05-04 12:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Anyone here ever seen Elvis live? He's got quite a reputation you know. I wonder how his shows were live.
01-05-04 01:16 PM
glencar Did he sell out most of his tours?
01-05-04 01:28 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
Did he sell out most of his tours?

Elvis was big, but in those days did they actually "tour". The Colonel always went for the BIG bucks once he had the world by the balls. He was a shrewd bastard. Kind of like Cohl. The old "lets make hay while the sunshines attitude".
But that IS what they pay these guys for. Is it not?
01-05-04 01:31 PM
glencar Elvis was either in the middle of a tour or just about to start one when he died.
01-05-04 01:51 PM
SHINE A LIGHT i've not seen elvis live, only on tv......and in his greater days, he seems to have been wonderful. he made an impression on the stones, for sure.
01-05-04 02:17 PM
DG81 Between September, 1970 and June 1977, Elvis toured no less than 29 times, most notably in 1976 when he did nine separate tours during this year! Add to this 15 'seasons' in Las Vegas between 1969 and 1976 (typically 2 shows daily for a month at a time) and 5 seasons in Lake Tahoe between 1971 and 1976 (again, two shows daily) it becomes clear that Elvis was one of the hardest working performers in entertainment history. He literally rocked 'till he dropped.
01-05-04 03:28 PM
JaggaRichards Elvis toured so much in the 70's because:

A-he spent money like water, and was close to being broke!

and

B-he played Vegas so much because the 'Colonel' was a degenerate gambler.
01-05-04 03:46 PM
Gazza >Elvis was big, but in those days did they actually "tour". The Colonel always went for the BIG bucks once he had the world by the balls. He was a shrewd bastard. Kind of like Cohl.

As shrewd as Cohl is, no manager was ever as conniving and shrewd as that bastard Parker. Much to the detriment of his artist's career and quality control. Did he actually "tour" ??? Uh - most definitely. He barely stopped touring in the last seven years of his life - usually a month on, a month off or therabouts - think of it as a forerunner to what Dylan is doing now with his "Never Ending Tour". The major difference is that he never toured outside the USA (the reason being - unknown even to Elvis in his lifetime - that Parker always put obstacles in the way because going abroad would have exposed The Colonel's secret life as an illegal immigrant). The fact that he was the biggest superstar in the world is quite an accomplishment considering the fact he never toured outside the US.

>Elvis was either in the middle of a tour or just about to start one when he died.

He was due to open a tour in Portland,Maine on 17th August 1977 but died the day before. It would have been something like his sixth tour already in that year.

>Did he sell out most of his tours?

I very much doubt that he played to an empty seat anywhere at any time after 1956

[Edited by Gazza]
01-05-04 04:17 PM
parmeda
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Anyone here ever seen Elvis live? He's got quite a reputation you know. I wonder how his shows were live.

May 2, 1977
...unf*ckingbelievable performance. There's a reason he was called The King.

I originally went under protest. I was 17, my mother had an extra ticket (a friend had to bow out at the last minute...) and I went with her and an aunt...thinking, "This is gonna suck..."
I am soooooooooooo happy I went.

Now, I try not to pass those types of situations, EVER.
...you just never know.

Same thing happened with Sinatra, lol.
The 'ole girl had an extra ticket and I went.
Talk about class...
01-05-04 06:09 PM
glencar Thanks for the info folks! I remember one of my neighbors had a ticket to his show at the Nassau Colisseum but I think it was one of the shows that didn't take place.
01-05-04 08:15 PM
Gazza Parmeda said>May 2, 1977
...unf*ckingbelievable performance. There's a reason he was called The King.

aaaaaagh!! nice one. I'm impressed.

Unfortunately,there's no bootleg of that Chicago show (or the show from the previous day)

heres a pic, though from that very show:

Maybe you can explain the surreal pic!

and if you need to remember what he played, here y'go:

Also Sprach Zarathustra
See See Rider
I Got A Woman/Amen
Love Me
Fairy Tale
You Gave Me A Mountain
Jailhouse Rock
O Sole Mio/It's Now Or Never
Little Sister
Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
My Way
Polk Salad Annie
[band introductions]
Early Morning Rain
What'd I Say
Johnny B. Goode
Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll
Hurt
Hurt
Hound Dog
Can't Help Falling In Love

thanks to www.elvis-in-concert.com

Glencar: youre right. Elvis was indeed scheduled to perform at Nassau Coliseum on 22nd August

[Edited by Gazza]
01-05-04 09:58 PM
Taptrick I saw Elvis live around 1972 or 1973 at the Kiel Auditorium in St Louis, Missouri. Third row. I was in kindergarten or first grade. Went with my mother, her neighbor-friend, and her son. And yes it was a tour. Still have some good memories of the event. I remember him posing. I remember a few of the songs being done quickly in a medley sytle. I wasn't really old enough to pay attention to sound quality. For some reason i also remember the opening act being a comedian who was hilarious and did a brief bit about Stuckey's restaurants.
[Edited by Taptrick]
01-06-04 01:14 AM
parmeda
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Maybe you can explain the surreal pic!

OMG! Where did you find that? And, the set list! LOL!
I have to tell ya...there are so many things that I remember about that show! Elvis getting that bear, along with at least a dozen or more others from fans in the front row...during his performance of "Teddy Bear". AND...during "Hound Dog", they actually walked a dog out onto the stage and 'ole Elvis sang to the pooch. And flowers...omg the flowers that were tossed or handed to him.

The one thing that stands out the most and completely astounded me was the fact that right before the show started and all the way through to the 3rd, maybe 4th song...you could not hear a thing. Nothing. Nada. The only sound I remember was "screaming"...non-stop...vocal-chord-wretching screaming. You could barely hear his voice and it took at least 30 seconds or so to make out what song was being played! You could tell that he even struggled "hearing himself" enough to follow his band, let alone the band trying to keep up the pace.

It was an experience to say the least!

I can remember looking at my mother...she had a smile and expression on her face that I had never seen before...my aunt, she was in tears, a total wreck (she was/still is the bigger fan out of the two of 'em). Those first few songs are a total loss to me, lol. I have never witnessed anything like that since... The energy, the vibe, the sensation of it all. The fainting! How could I ever forget that!!! I had binoculars and watched women drop to the floor after getting a touch, a kiss or a scarf! It was insane...

Thanks for that link, Gazza
I have to go check it out some more...
01-06-04 01:26 AM
stonedinaustralia thanx for that pam

now can you tell us about the sinatra show??

tia
01-06-04 07:21 AM
JaggaRichards The comedian who opened most of Elvis' shows was Sammy Shore-father of the excerable Pauly Shore.
01-06-04 01:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Those first few songs are a total loss to me, lol. I have never witnessed anything like that since... The energy, the vibe, the sensation of it all. The fainting! How could I ever forget that!!! I had binoculars and watched women drop to the floor after getting a touch, a kiss or a scarf! It was insane...

Wow, I guess Elvis could knock 'em dead. Anyway I was wondering if anyone knew why Tom Parker came to be called "Colonel". I assume he wasn't in the military. Is this a "southern" thing...like Colonel Sanders, the fried chicken guy? I wonder how one gets to be a "colonel" apart from the military.
01-06-04 02:10 PM
DG81 Jumping on the back of this thread - I have a large list of Elvis boots (mainly soundboard concerts 1969-1977) . I'm trying to build up a Stones boot collection at the moment, so if anyone would like to trade send me a PM.
01-06-04 02:13 PM
glencar Elvez sang to a dog on one of those 50s shows when he performed "Hound Dog." Funny guy.
01-06-04 02:23 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Steve Allen. I remember seeing that clip on tv about a year or so ago. I don't think Elvis was too happy about it but he did it.
01-06-04 02:27 PM
glencar Yes, thank you, Mr. Motels! Didn't Steve die a short time ago?
01-06-04 02:38 PM
parmeda For SIA...
What can I say about The Chairman of the Board that no one doesn't already know, or SHOULD know.

I saw Old Blue Eyes in the fall of 1994, late October I'm sure.
Once again, my mother had a spare ticket...lucky me! I was older and I knew that this was a performer that I had to see, unlike the feeling I had when I saw Elvis. (I blame that on being young & stupid...)

The United Center had just opened in August and it was the first concert I had seen at the new venue. The old Chicago Stadium that housed the pro basketball & hockey teams was an awesome place. The acoustics in that old building were world renown for the loud, cheering fans. It was said that The United Center was built with keeping THAT in mind...and the newer venue would be a most excitable place. Going in there for the first time and anticipating 'the best' a venue had to offer, really made seeing Sinatra all the more special to me.

Frank, Jr. & his Orchestra was there. The chemistry and blend was flawless. The audience was an older crowd, as I suspected it would be...that sat on the edges of their seats with such patience and respect. Once Sinatra came on stage, everyone rose from their seat and confronted him with a thunderous standing ovation. He seemed to be very pleased by this. His signature coat & Fedora were properly placed near the piano on a coat rack...a drink in one hand, a cigarette in the other. Typical...yet much appreciated to see. I beleive he was close to 77 years old. You would have never of guessed it by seeing him in person. The voice was as smooth as satin. His eyes sparkled like stars. You could hear a pin drop between each word he sang or spoke. Nobody moved...we were all in a trance. He belted out the favorites...My Way, Come Rain or Come Shine, Under My Skin and many others. His encore was New York, New York which had a Chicago crowd silently gasped under their breath, lol...but he rolled right into My Kind Of Town, which sent everyone into orbit. (The tiny hairs on my arm just sprung to life!) At that moment, I understood what the designers of The United Center had in mind when they wanted to recreate the feeling of the old Chicago Stadium. It's funny, I haven't had that feeling happen again while I've been there...and I've been back plenty of times.

So again, I have my parents to thank for multi-culturing me in the manner they have through the years. I can only hope that in 20 years, one or both of my sons can sit back and say, "Yeah, my parents dragged me to a Stones concert back-in-the-day...they were cool, I'm really glad I went."

And Gazza...here's where you fit in.
I wonder if you have a set-list in your pile-'o-stuff?
01-06-04 02:39 PM
Joey " shrewd as Cohl is, no manager was ever as conniving and shrewd as that bastard Parker. "

I believe Parker was Jewish .
01-06-04 02:40 PM
parmeda "Parker was an ass"...as quoted by parmeda's mother, LOL
01-06-04 02:44 PM
glencar Parker was Dutch. His real name was soemthing different.
01-06-04 02:49 PM
Gazza >The comedian who opened most of Elvis' shows was Sammy Shore-father of the excerable Pauly Shore.

I thought it was a guy called Jackie Kahane?

>Parker was Dutch. His real name was soemthing different.

His real name was Andreas Cornelius van Kuijk

>I believe Parker was Jewish .

Nope. Just the worst Catholic of the 20th century. After Hitler.
[Edited by Gazza]
01-06-04 02:52 PM
Joey " I thought it was a guy called Jackie Kahane? "

I thought it was a man named Shecky !

Spanky !

01-06-04 02:52 PM
glencar Gazza, you knew that? You knew THAT?? Wowza!
01-06-04 03:12 PM
Gazza Elvis fans are supposed to know these things. Its written somewhere that we do.

Parmeda>

October 22, 1994 United Center, Chicago, Illinois
Orchestra Conducted By : Frank Sinatra jr.
1. I've Got The World On A String
2. All Or Nothing At All
3. A Foggy Day
4. For Once In My Life
5. Come Rain Or Come Shine
6. I've Got You Under My Skin
7. Where Or When
8. At Long Last Love 9. Embraceable You
10. What Now My Love
11. The Best Is Yet To Come
12. My Way
13. Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
14. New York, New York
15. My Kind Of Town

parmeda Just wait glencar, give Gazza some time. He's gonna pull out another set-list for me. I have faith in him!
parmeda SEE!
He was a step ahead of me!
Gazza is my hero
Page: 1 2