ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: recommendations on SACD Singles Collection Return to archive
01-05-04 10:24 AM
T&A I recently got an SACD player. I already had about 10 of the 2002 reissues and I'm now rediscovering them via the SACD layer. Wow!!! Of the ones I've played - Between the Buttons, 12X5 and Now! - I'm am bowled over by the improvements.

Question to anyone who has listened to it - what reaction do you have to the Singles Collection (3cd) on the SACD reissue? The original release in '89 left much to be desired, sonically. Klein purportedly rushed this to market to cash in on the Stones' mania that year and the results were disappointing. I'd like to think that they have taken the time to properly remaster these songs this time. Any thoughts you could share....I'm primarily interested to hear from those who have heard the SACD layer on these - but if there are reactions to the CD layer, I'll take those as hints, too.

Thanks...
01-05-04 10:30 AM
egon i'm thinknig of buying one as well.

so it really kicks ass hey?
01-05-04 10:31 AM
T&A for the earlier recordings, it's a track-to-track thing. At times, though, one is left absolutely breathless. Satanic, Beggars, BtB, and Ya-Ya's, though, are winners throughout.

I recommend the Sony changer - can get it for around $200 - it plays mp3, dvds, cds and sacds. Great deal.
[Edited by T&A]
01-05-04 10:36 AM
egon that's what i want; sacd + dvd etc.

will wait a while though, cos here in marseille there are not many sacd (+ dvd) players available yet.

meantime, i'll just complete the remaster set

01-05-04 04:49 PM
mac_daddy the Police put their reissued catalog out on SACD. These are NOT hybrids, meaning they do not have two layers, meaning they are SACD only - you MUST have a SACD player to listen to them. But if you do have an SACD player, and you like the band, their old catalog sounds good with the new treatment.
01-05-04 04:54 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Any thoughts you could share....I'm primarily interested to hear from those who have heard the SACD layer on these - but if there are reactions to the CD layer, I'll take those as hints, too.

all of the above. there are numerous articles about the work involved; you can try a search of SACD review sites, or of the Stones SACD reissues...

Bob Ludwig did alot of the remastering, and he is widely recognized as one of the best, if not the best, in the business...

The SACDs really are an exceptional archive available to all of us. I got into SACD solely because of the series, but the CD audio layers are amazing, too!
01-05-04 06:11 PM
glencar Do SACD players also play normal CDs & CDRs?
01-05-04 06:32 PM
exilestones@netscape SACD players do play CDs and CDRs.

Abkco did a great job on the SACDs. They are all much better than what we had. We can argue over if the stereo Satisfacton is better or not but I give Abkco kudos.
01-05-04 06:36 PM
T&A thanks, all! Most of the reviews I've read talk about (whine about) the stereo v. mono crap. They forget to discuss the relative improvements over the earlier version!

yeah - I'm really jazzed about hearing the SACD layer, finally. I've also recently upgraded my stereo in a number of places (got a great sub-woofer!!!), so it's really like hearing these for the first time. Also got the Dylan hybrids ordered and on the way. These are supposedly improved dramatically on many discs.
01-05-04 06:46 PM
rollme I have the SONY-nc685v player.
It plays SACD,cd,cd-r/rw,dvd,dvd-r/rw, dvd+r/rw,mp3,vcd.
I payed $250.00
It is a 5 disc tray.
01-05-04 06:57 PM
glencar Well, an SACD player is on my "to buy" list.
01-05-04 06:57 PM
glencar BTW Good brands? I have a Sony CD player right now.
01-05-04 07:44 PM
T&A rollme:

Same model as mine. They make an ES version (better electronics)for about $450 - but I was advised by the salesman that they are soon going to upgrade that line and he said the sonic differences were virtually undetectable.

I'm thrilled with it.....
01-05-04 08:40 PM
rollme T&A
I just picked mine up last Saturday.
I love it so far!
01-06-04 09:42 AM
dkmonroe T&A - Well, I'll at least try to answer your question, but it may be a bit inadequate as I don't have an SACD player.

I do have the Singles Collection SACD hybrid, and I understand that it's far superior to the original version. The main difference is, almost all of the tracks are in mono, same as the original singles mixes, and this time, ABKCO actuallly took the trouble to obtain mono masters, rather than perform fold-downs on stereo mixes, which were present on the original Singles Collection. Also, there's the original single version of Street Fighting Man, which actually sucks. Its vocal mix is really crappy.

There's a good side and a not-so-good side to all this. The good side is that a LOT of these songs are better in mono than in stereo - Lets Spend the Night Together in particular. Also, you get a ton of great songs, and a few rare tracks, all in one package. The downside is, the mono versions seem to have a lot more "tape hiss" than the stereo versions. I don't know if that will be apparent on the SACD layer. Of course, that indicates that there wasn't a lot of noise reduction technology applied, which is actually a good thing to some people.

For my part, I bought the Singles Collection before getting any of the other albums, and I thought it'd become redundant once I got the albums, but now I wouldn't part with it. It's the greatest Greatest Hits package in the Stones' catalog, and, IMO, mono IS the sound of the Stones in the 60's.

Here's a great FAQ about the SACD reissues, it may answer more questions:

http://www.lukpac.org/stereostones/stones-cd-faq.txt
[Edited by dkmonroe]
01-06-04 10:13 AM
T&A dkmonroe:

thanks for the information - and yes, I had seen that FAQ. I was looking for additional input. I agree that there's nothing wrong with a good mono recording - hell, I prefer it over stereo for the Stones.

Hiss doesn't bother me either - at least you know they aren't artificially eliminating the high end.

I'm definitely going to buy this set now.

Thanks for the information - and, oh, yes - do buy an SACD player at some point - the improvements over the CD layer (from what I've heard so far) are amazing.