ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Who's your fave individual member of the Stones and why ? Return to archive
01-03-04 06:58 PM
KL700 (Irrespective of whether they're with, or currently aren't with the band, or even if not alive), who was (and still is) your personal favorite individual Stones band member and why ?

If this has been discussed before, please give a link.
01-03-04 08:21 PM
glencar Mick Jagger - the ultimate rock & roll singer. None ever came close.
01-03-04 08:30 PM
gypsy Keith. Because he genuinely LOVES music so much. And he is often dismissed by people as some junkie loser--which he is not. People that haven't read any Stones books, don't know that Keith is very intelligent, witty, etc...

01-03-04 08:57 PM
Gazza I used to think Keith. Now,if I have to be honest, its none (or all) of them. This is a unit where the sum is much greater than the individual parts.

Separately theyre individually talented in their own way - together theyre somethin' much more than 4 talented individuals. Theres an additional "X Factor" that is simply undefinable that the Stones have that no other band has to the same extent
01-03-04 09:02 PM
beer 3 Favorite members in my opinion, in order:

1-Keith Richards

2-Brian Jones

3-Mick Taylor

01-03-04 09:47 PM
Hannalee 1) Mick, Charlie, Ronnie, Bill, Stu

2) Keith

3) Brian

I feel unable to form any sort of opinion about Mick Taylor...
01-04-04 07:55 AM
Navin Ronnie-Because of that hair!!
01-04-04 08:50 AM
sj Agree with Gazza on the factor X. I've concluded its energy they make collectively with the main contributors being Keith and Mick. Charlie Watts summed it up nicely.. Keith provides the "feel" and intuition and Mick directs it into something useful with lyrics. Its an incredible energy they produce. Keith even commented "Mick is the wife I can never divorce" (or something like that).

I happen to think Keith self-medicates on the riffs he makes. Certainly is electric when I listen to it. Imagine the high you'd get knowing you'd come up with 'Brown Sugar' or Gimme Shelter. Magnificent.

(yep.. would choose Keith if I had to choose)
01-04-04 08:56 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Separately theyre individually talented in their own way - together theyre somethin' much more than 4 talented individuals. Theres an additional "X Factor" that is simply undefinable that the Stones have that no other band has to the same extent.

Keith. Why? Because he IS the "X-Factor".

01-04-04 11:01 AM
Hooked Keith. Just because...
01-04-04 02:40 PM
SHINE A LIGHT keith, of course.... because he's gentle and kind off stage. well, and on stage he's now the "glue" that stu used to be.
and to be really fair....ALL OF THEM.....because they are a very tight-knit band. and it shows!!
01-04-04 03:20 PM
Lambchop Chuck
01-04-04 03:27 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Lambchop wrote:
Chuck

I have to agree on that one!!!
Also on tina T, she has a horny performance on the gimme shelter DVD, with that otis redding song!

rik
01-04-04 03:30 PM
Monkey Woman Mick, because he's... Mick!!! LOL

But I agree that the Stones have this amazing quality to become a new entity when they all play together. It's the Stones, and it's bigger and better than any individual member of the group.
01-04-04 04:17 PM
Taptrick Mick - he has cool hair.
01-04-04 04:21 PM
SHINE A LIGHT IF YOU'RE TALKING OF TINA BACK IN THE GIMMIE SHELTER DAYS, YES PURE ENERGY.
I WAS MORE THINKING OF HER WITH MICK AT SOME-AID??
01-04-04 08:49 PM
Keefness My name & avitar give my answer...
01-05-04 10:26 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Lambchop wrote:
Chuck

Is that pic not Bubbles the Chimp? He looks quite content in Jacko's lap.
01-05-04 03:03 PM
LuckyWithTheLadies Mick Jagger. Simply the greatest rock and roll performer ever. It may be true he got a lot of his act from Tina Turner and James Brown, but only he could have put it together and made it work in areanas and stadiums. Tina Turner's bump and grind or James Brown's fancy footwork would mean nothing in a venue much larger than a club. In my opinion all the pop acts that came along after 1969 are completely indebted to Mick, and that includes acts as different as Brittany Spears and Pearl Jam. In the latter the bohemian don't give a damm image about the media or record companies (a quick example, look at the pictures from Eddie Vedder's wedding in France, looks they are straight out of a Rolling Stone's coffee table book) and in the former the, to put in gently, high dollar drag show.

And now for the inflamatory part of the thread. I think that Keith hitched his waggon to Mick Jagger's star. And that if he had only been a pit more charitable about, for example, the "Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones" billing on some dates of the 81 tour I think the history of the Stones would have been quite different. She's The Boss would have made a great follow up Stone's album to that tour. But only with Keith's and rest of the band's input of course.

We wouldnt have a Rolling Stones without either one of them. However, it is possible to image Mick having a successful career without Richards. But Richards would have never risen to fame without Mick.
01-05-04 03:19 PM
steel driving hammer Mick.

Why?

Because.

Word.
01-05-04 03:34 PM
Joey

Charlie Watts

Mick Jagger

Keith Richards

Mick Taylor

01-05-04 06:07 PM
glencar LuckyWithTheLadies is spot on! Mick would have been a star without Keith (although w/o Brian? Hmmm....) but Keith needed Mick. As cool as amny think Keith is, he was awfully quiet during the first 2 deacdes of this band.
01-05-04 07:17 PM
Mr. D I gotta go with Mick, primarily because of the energy he brings to the table. No musician has ever been able to hypnotize me like Mick-he, in my opinion, is the most entertaining part of the Stones show-even when his voice is off, he's doing so much else you can forgive him for it.
01-05-04 08:34 PM
Nasty Habits Gimme Mick!
Gimme Mick!
Baby's Hair!
Bulgin' Eyes!
Lips so thick!
Are you woman?
Are you man?
I'm your biggest
funked up fan!
So rock me
and roll me
'till I'm sick!

01-06-04 05:23 AM
JumpingKentFlash Keith Richards. He is the one with the most feeling and raggedness. He is the most important member in my opinion.
01-06-04 01:58 PM
trevcourt Charlie is the band. Just listen to Four Flicks.
When he quits, the Stones are over. And that's the way it should be.
01-06-04 02:17 PM
DG81 Charlie, because he was so cool when I met him in 2001 when he was playing Ronnie Scott's. During the interlude, he was sitting at the table directly behind me with none other than Bill Wyman! He's so down-to-earth. I mentioned that we live in the same area (he lives about 20 miles away from me) and we had a brief chat about where I live in Cornwall. It was a fucking amazing experience for me to say the least. Bill wasn't so chatty though!!