ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Paris Royale Boot question Return to archive
01-03-04 11:11 AM
DG81 I�ve just picked up a copy of the Paris Royale 16-08-02 gig at my local record store under the title �Seventeen Licks � Small Club Gig 2002� � �The Perfect Sound� label. The overall sound is very good � stereo soundboard / pretty good mix. The problem is that the sound on several tracks is very �wavy� � the sort of sound you find on heavily compressed mp3s. This is very apparent on certain tracks like �Torn and Frayed� but not on others. The sound problem only occurs in the left channel with the right playing perfectly throughout. Tracks are faded in and out which, again is annoying.
My question is whether or not this gig is available under another title, in its complete form and obviously free of sound distortion.

Any one got any info on this and where I might find a �good� copy???
01-03-04 11:41 AM
SHINE A LIGHT that is really interesting. it was pro shot and the plan is to release it sometime in 2004!! the sound quality at that gig was great, so i'm wondering if you've picked up a boot.....because of the lesser quality as you say. i do know that there are boots of palais royale already out there.
i forget if you've given the running time??? also, please tell me the setlist. on the boots, the palais royale is cut to 44 minutes, while the pro shot went for the entire gig....much longer than that.
i'll be happy to do some checking around, as i also want the pr gig.
01-03-04 11:45 AM
Steel Wheels Hey SAL, where did you hear about them releasing the show in 04? Seems unlikely with 4 Flicks selling well...but I hope I'm wrong!
01-03-04 11:52 AM
SHINE A LIGHT i heard it either from the guys doing the pro shoot at palais royale OR at sarsfest. it all becomes a blur.....but i did hear that the stones will "officially" release it, and i'm quite certain the time line was "04.

and why do i think it's mentioned on 4 flix?????
01-03-04 12:28 PM
Lazy Bones I would be very surprised if it is officially released as a complete show as it's, really, a warm up gig.

Seeing we all know what kind of editing axe lies with official, live Stones' material. Torn And Frayed (as great as it was to be in the set - since it hadn't be played live since Vancouver '72) was almost lost. You can hear Keith at that point..."no worries, no worries" as he picked it up.

All in all, it is a great show and would love (who wouldn't) to see it officially released. There are, however, different copies in circulation. As an example, one copy has the rehearsal Can't You Hear Me Knocking rather than the live rendition.
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
01-03-04 12:35 PM
glencar Ah but was it historic?
01-03-04 12:35 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
There are, however, different copies in circulation. As an example, onene copy has the rehearsal Can't You Hear Me Knocking rather than the live rendition.

yeah - and I remastered an AUD of this show that I seeded to a few places, and I never saw it reoffered (just adding to the hodge-podge of sources)...
01-03-04 01:03 PM
DG81 Shine A Light - 'Seventeen Licks' Tracklist:

Only Rock N Roll / Sad Sad Sad / If You Can't Rock Me / Stray Cat Blues / Hot Stuff / Don't Stop / Honky Tonk / Torn And Frayed / Wild Horses / Happy / I Can't Turn You Loose / Heart Of Stone / Can' You Hear Me Knockin' / Jumping Jack / Brown Sugar R/T 65:17

Bonus Tracks Recorded in Boston Aug. 2002:

Rocks Off / Rip This Joint (both poor sound). Complete R/T 74:46
01-03-04 01:41 PM
cwatts0462 HOW COME ONLY TEN TRACKS ON THE BOOT DVD
WHICH IS GREAT BY THE WAY
01-03-04 03:06 PM
SHINE A LIGHT ok, thanks.....that sounds like the palais gig with some "additions". too bad the sound quality is poor,especially on "torn&frayed" (a fave of mine).

my hubby just got home and i asked him how/where we learned it was to be released......he said at sarsfest AND it's mentioned on 4 flix.

hope this helps for now......i'm going to keep on digging.

ps. just remembered.....the palais gig (with the stones, not the opener) began at approx. 10:45pm and ended at approx. 12:20 am . so, you can figure out the time. the stones' did not take a break.

also, my husband reminded me that many "celebs" were there . many of them were shooting "amateur video,etc."
01-03-04 04:48 PM
DG81 Palais Royale - where the fuck did I get PARIS Royale from. Anyway, thanks for the info.
01-03-04 05:15 PM
SHINE A LIGHT a very easy response to your question about "paris royale"........you are only HUMAN!!!! don't sweat it.
01-03-04 06:52 PM
DG81 SHINE A LIGHT - thanks for understanding a youn fan's mistakes!!!

Rock On!!
01-03-04 08:34 PM
glencar Cry me a fucking river, honey.
01-04-04 11:49 AM
JaggaRichards i have the Palais Royale boot, full show, soundboard.
And CYHMK is the rehearsal take on it.
I also have the PR DVD, which is 45 minutes long and in good quality. The SARS show will be released, but the PR probably wont. PR was essentially a warm up show, with some musical mistakes (which were cool to hear!), so knowing what a control freak Jagger is, you know it will never see the light of day as a legit release.
And I'd rather see a legit PR than the so-so SARS show!
01-04-04 01:39 PM
Stonesdoug There are currently 2 DVDs out from the Palais Royale show. On the first one, the soundtrack does not match the video. On the second one, a friend matched the audio soundboard to the video.
The reason that the show isn't complete is that the filmer screwed up on many of the songs. It is a must have...
01-04-04 02:27 PM
SHINE A LIGHT hey doug are you in toronto?? healy's is a great place, but now he's really into jazz. says he's given up the blues??
01-06-04 07:56 AM
Stonesdoug Went to Healy's for some benefit on Saturday night. Had a great time. Sunday went over to visit Jerry for his birthday. Left in the snow on Monday morning and managed to skid into a salt truck-got back to Annapolis late last night.
01-06-04 08:02 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Stonesdoug wrote:
Went to Healy's for some benefit on Saturday night. Had a great time. Sunday went over to visit Jerry for his birthday. Left in the snow on Monday morning and managed to skid into a salt truck-got back to Annapolis late last night.

Was it parked?

All joking aside, Doug, I trust you're well and hopefully damage is to a minimal. Sorry I missed ya...