ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Most Underrated Album! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
12-31-03 12:22 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
Well, I listened to Face Dances again.

I still hold that It's Hard is a better album, but that's not saying much, because both of them aren't great.

They're both still better than that travesty that is Who Are You.

Interesting take O SavieXySZZy one. By Who standards, I always did think Who Are You was weak, although it had all the right punches. The weird gem in there is Entwistle's Had Enough.

Different eras with Who Are You vs. Face Dances and It's Hard though. Who Are You was when Townshend was still writing anthems (or at least trying to) and the latter two were basically toned down Townshend solo albums when virtually all of Pete's incredible talent had by that time been obliterated on booze, insecurity, and self hatred.
12-31-03 12:56 AM
glencar
quote:
Zack wrote:
Most underrated . . . Bridges to Babylon. It's the Rodney Dangerfield of Stones albums.

Not by everybody!
12-31-03 02:57 AM
Prodigal Son The Who by the Numbers was the last masterpiece they did. "Dreaming from the Waist" is a luscious song! Who Are You was very good but not quite a huge gem. The songs were good, but not great (outside of "Music Must Change" and "Who Are You"). I don't particularly like "Sister Disco" or "Guitar and Pen" but I've heard barely anything better than what's on Who Are You on Face Dances and It's Hard. Okay, maybe "Eminence Front," their last classic song (hopefully until their new album, just Rog and Pete, comes out sometime) is better than most tunes, but that's all. Townshend saved his best for his two early 80s solo albums but the combination of his own self-doubt, the shock of Moonie's death, nearing 40 (ok, he was still in his mid-30s but still). the boozing, the anti-alcoholic medication and heroin-cocaine freebase addictions made it bad. He just didn't have his heart in the band anymore. The concert where he drank four bottles of brandy, went on stumbling about, playing different songs and ranting about politics was the backbreaker. Then his solo set where he literally fell asleep during a song on acoustic guitar. Scary stuff! Of course, his OD in a nightclub followed. Thank God he realized he was only headed for a typical rock star death so he did the electro-shock therapy and he's been clean since.
12-31-03 09:49 AM
glencar Ah, "Sister Disco." Another "classic" moment in rawk.
12-31-03 09:52 AM
Joey " Ah, "Sister Disco." Another "classic" moment in rawk. "

Sister Disco ROCKS !

What ?!?!?! OK , sure :

As I walked through that hospital door
I was sewn up like a coat
I got a smile from the bite of the wind
Watched the fresh fall of snow

I knew then that my life took a turn
I felt strong and secure
And with adhesive tape over my nose
I felt almost demure

Goodbye Sister Disco
With your flashing trash lamps
Goodbye Sister Disco
And to your clubs and your tramps

Goodbye Sister Disco
My dancing's left you behind
Goodbye, now you're solo
Black plastic; deaf, dumb and blind

Bye, goodbye Sister Disco, Now I go
I go where the music where the music fits my soul
And I, I will never let go, I'll never let go
'Til the echo of the street fight has dissolved

I will choose nightmares and cold stormy seas
I will take over your grief and disease
I'll stay beside you and comfort your soul
When you are lonely and broken and old

Now I walk with a man in my face
Ooh, a woman in my hair
I've got you all lookin' out though my eyes
My feet are a prayer

Goodbye Sister Disco
With your flashing trash lamps
Goodbye Sister Disco
And to your clubs and your tramps

Goodbye Sister Disco
My dancing's left you behind
Goodbye, now you're solo
Black plastic; deaf, dumb and blind

Jacky Townshend !

12-31-03 09:55 AM
glencar You like "Sister Disco" my square state living, cornhuskering, bland food eating, Vegas traveling, Clapton-loving friend? Why??? Why??? Even you must admit it's pretty weak.
12-31-03 10:07 AM
Joey " You like "Sister Disco" my square state living, cornhuskering, bland food eating, Vegas traveling, Clapton-loving friend? Why??? Why??? Even you must admit it's pretty weak. "

Blue .................................

Steve Spurrier might soon be named Nebraska 's Head Football Coach .

Word ................to your Grandpappy !

Jacko !

12-31-03 10:42 AM
glencar Maybe one day you'll elect Spurrier to Congress!
12-31-03 10:45 AM
Some Guy I shall crank Emotional Rescue sometime during tonights festivities

Word to your Little Indian Girl!
12-31-03 10:49 AM
glencar I'll be doing the 4 Flix thing at least until 1130PM.
12-31-03 11:02 AM
Joey

I gotta go pee .
12-31-03 11:03 AM
TracyGene Steel Wheels and Bridges To Babylon seem underrated to me.
Maybe I picked Steel Wheels because I always thought that album got the boys back on track.After their mid 80's fiasco,alot of folks thought that was it for the Stones.At least I did.Bridges To Babylon being their last studio album doen't seem to get mentioned very often.It has some really good numbers on it,such as Out Of Control,Saint Of Me,ect.IMHO.
12-31-03 11:04 AM
Joey " After their mid 80's fiasco,alot of folks thought that was it for the Stones.At least I did. "

After the abysmal Dirty Work , the whole world thought it was all over .

12-31-03 11:11 AM
Mr. D IORR-almost every casual fan i know dosen't own this, many of them have never even heard of it. I think this album is right behind the Big 4 in terms of quality. It has so much good suff on it, yet never gets realized as a classic album or anything. IMO, its not only the most underrated Stones effort, but the most underrated album ever.
12-31-03 11:25 AM
TracyGene Life has to be good for you Joey.Your Cornhuskers won the Alamo Bowl.(Even one the Huskers got arrested for pot,can't beat that!)
The Who is going to play in 2004,and the Stones are going to do "God knows what."
Yep,life is good for Joey!
12-31-03 12:38 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy From the Brian Era: Between The Buttons (UK). Interesting, not all bad, even though Mick's take on it was "Oh, God, I hate that fucking album." "Connection"s fantastic, "Miss Amanda Jones" is the closest they came to sounding like the early Beatles (take that as you will), and "Something Happened To Me Yesterday" is Keith's solo vocal debut on the bridge (he duets with Mick in "Connection" but you never hear him alone).

From the Taylor Era: IORR. Very interesting, a "six Stone" album a la Let It Bleed - Ronnie's influence on Keith from I've Got My Own Album To Do is clear as he churns out a lot of great straightforward rockers, while Taylor keeps up with his excellent work even though the takes Keith wound up using play him down quite a bit. Plus, he plays a mean bass groove on "Fingerprint File". I'd've loved to hear the great guitar work that Keith erased - bastard!

From the Ronnie era: ER's a good choice, very interesting album to listen to, very much a "can we go further with what we did on Some Girls?" and finding that the answer's "no." Some great tracks, including the pure funk "Dance Pt. 1", the rockers "Where The Boys All Go", "Let Me Go" and "Summer Romance", and the excellent East German blues "Down In The Hole" and Keith's quiet "All About You". Too bad the title track and "Indian Girl" are on there... yecch.

I'd agree most with Bridges, though. "Low Down" and "Too Tight" are the best rockers the Stones have put out in twenty years, but because Mick wanted to play up the pop and Keith wanted to play up the ballads, they got lost in the mix. Those are also the only songs where Ronnie puts in some sort of effort - he was drunk out of his mind for most of this album, and it shows.

Others to consider:

December's Children - damn, what a fun comp disc.
Undercover - again, it's the rockers that matter, like "All The Way Down", "It Must Be Hell", "Pretty Beat Up" and "Wanna Hold You".
Tattoo You - "No Use In Crying". Fuck, that song's fantastic. Closest they came to sounding like The Faces (I wonder why?).

-tSYX --- Babe, don't get too tight with me...
12-31-03 12:48 PM
Joey

Mr. D , I would like to nibble your elbows .

Jacky !
12-31-03 02:05 PM
Factory Girl Stones- Satanic Majesties Request & Dirty Work
Solo Jagger- Wandering Spirit!!!

Non-Stones

Stooges-Funhouse & Raw Power!!

Mad Season-Above!!
12-31-03 02:09 PM
Some Guy Yeah I love Tattoo You, I have had the original cassette that I first bought in 81. Still listen to it at times, just got it on CD and damn... damn... it's gonna be a funky Stones new years eve bee-yaatch!!
12-31-03 03:30 PM
Prodigal Son "No Use in Crying" sounds more like the Bee Gees, but in a good sense not the overly drippy vein. Underrated albums for each era go like this;
Jones (1963-69): December's Children-Quite cool to hear some of their more low-key recordings such as "Blue Turns to Grey," "Gotta Get Away," "Look What You've Done" and "You Better Move on." Nothing about this album is the least bit crappy, outside of the out-of-tuneness of "The Singer Not the Song" and the sloppy playing on "She Said Yeah" (which gets whooped by the Animals version).
Taylor (1969-74): IORR-Gotta go with this one because GHS seems to get the props around here though it's good I think it's their worst 70s album. This one has some great rockers in "If You Can't Rock Me," the 50s-styled "Dance Little Sister" and "It's Only Rock n' Roll" but also delivers on ballads in "Time Waits for No One" and "Till the Next Goodbye." The R&B side is prominent with "Short and Curlies," "Ain't Too Proud to Beg," "If You Really Want to Be My Friend" and the funk of "Fingerprint File." Hell, even some reggae-rock is thrown in with "Luxury." I love this album more each listen.
Woody (1975-present): Undercover-This one may be slightly one-dimensional and dabbles in dance music, but it has some sweet rock stuff like "Wanna Hold You," "It Must Be Hell," "All the Way Down," "Too Tough," "She Was Hot," and "Pretty Beat up." I'm starting to really enjoy this one.
12-31-03 06:43 PM
Fiji Joe ER indeed..ya'll know my thoughts on Indian Girl
12-31-03 08:24 PM
glencar Undercover has Tie You Up(The Pain of Love) which is one of their finest soul/funk efforts. The reggae stuff is dull but It Must Be Hell is a great way to close things out. Undercover of the Night is okay on record but it never came off live in concert.

IORR is sub-par. Starts off great & then ends weakly. And I'm not talking about the ballads.

Indian Girl is okay & sometimes I think it's great. Where the Boys Go is abused by the Alvin & the Chipmunks effect. ER is a great pop single that will never go live.
12-31-03 09:26 PM
mac_daddy on-topic:

Talk is Cheap
_____

off-topic:

(jazz)
Oliver Nelson - Blues and the Abstract Truth
Marc Johnson's Bass Desires and Bass Desires (Second Sight)

(reggae)
Wailers - Burnin'
Pablo Moses - A Song
Aswad - A New Chapter in Dub
_____

Happy New Year!
01-01-04 05:51 PM
Gazza >and the excellent East German blues "Down In The Hole"

****BLANK FRIGGIN' STARE*******
01-01-04 06:25 PM
SHINE A LIGHT not rated highly enough.....stones' "out of our heads"
01-01-04 08:12 PM
glencar Who doesn't rate that one highly enough?
01-01-04 08:24 PM
SHINE A LIGHT the multitudinous "they" out there.
01-01-04 08:25 PM
glencar I've seen it on several of those "Greatest Albums" lists. I think you're going oevrboard here but you're entitled to your opinion.
01-01-04 08:46 PM
SHINE A LIGHT i'm thrilled that i'm allowed an opinion. i'm actually no doubt talking about MYSELF, i don't pull it out of the cabinet often enough!!!!!
01-02-04 03:01 AM
beer the most underrated stones album is "Aftermath", in my loopy opinion. i reckon that LP can stand next to the likes of Beggars and Exile. granted, beggars and exile are far more superior in some ways, but Aftermaths strengths lay in it's originality and uniqueness(is that a word?). i think each member brought some very groundbreaking stuff to that album, especialy Brian. plus, it has a cool variety that is only equalled by "Exile On Main Street", which they pulled off brilliantly. i think Aftermath is one of the best rocknroll albums ever made.
Page: 1 2 3