ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SARS Toronto show to be officially released on DVD Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-29-03 05:18 PM
Gazza The Rolling Stones' performance at Toronto's Molson Canadian Rocks for Toronto extravaganza will be released on DVD next spring. In an interview with the Toronto Sun, Stones tour manager Michael Cohl said all 13 acts that performed at the July 30 Downsview Park concert were recorded and should be included in the DVD, but its not known if the entire concert will be released. "We're hoping by April or May to have it out," Cohl said.

The daylong concert, which was designed to boost Toronto's sagging economy in the wake of the deaths caused by Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), attracted some 450,000 people and also featured AC/DC, Rush, Justin Timberlake and the Flaming Lips. Cohl added he's not sure if the upcoming DVD will be made available to all retailers; the Stones' recent "Four Flicks" DVD was sold exclusively by Best Buy and Future Shop, resulting in some stores removing Stones-related merchandise from their racks.

from www.billboard.com
12-29-03 05:24 PM
Mr. D I wonder if they'll digitally edit out bottles getting chucked at Justin while he sang "Miss You".
12-29-03 05:24 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat I saw it last week at a friend's house...let's just say that it's not that good.

So Michael: please, do not put this on DVD.
12-29-03 05:25 PM
Moonisup from the pieces what I've heard AND read it wasn't the best show, but it's a nice gesture for the people who have been there.
It takes a lot of shit to release it I think with all the different record companies from all the artists
12-29-03 05:27 PM
Soul Survivor I won't buy it. The Stones were sub par that night, AC/DC played better. And everyone else I could care less about.

If you watch disc 1, go to extras, then toronto rocks. at the end of this it says something like "DVD coming soon"
12-29-03 06:04 PM
Lazy Bones It will be interesting to see how sales $$$ will be distributed.

As far as the performance, they were very good. I was there, and yes, the sound for some songs was very bad. However, many contribute this to a "bad performance" when it was simply the sound system. I have a pro-shot DVD-R copy of the Stones' segment and they played their hearts out. Ruby Tuesday, YCAGWYW, IORR, The Nearness Of You and Rock Me Baby (w/ Angus & Malcolm) were fantastic. IORR is probably my favourite version from the tour of those I've heard.

Certainly a treat for those who were there. Editing, like always, is my only fear.
12-29-03 06:18 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat What row where you?
12-29-03 06:43 PM
glencar As a completist, this is a must-have but I'll probably watch it twice & go back to 4 flix.
12-29-03 07:35 PM
Some Guy Yeah, I got something I need to release.
12-29-03 10:13 PM
full moon We do not need this ........
12-30-03 07:40 AM
Monkey Woman From Yahoo:

TORONTO (Billboard) - The Rolling Stones' performance at the "SARSfest" extravaganza in Toronto last July will be released on DVD next spring.

The Stones' tour manager, Michael Cohl, told the Toronto Sun that all 13 performers at the July 30 Downsview Park concert were recorded and should be included in the DVD, but it's not known if the entire concert will be released.

"We're hoping by April or May to have it out," Cohl said.

The daylong concert, which was designed to boost Toronto's sagging economy in the wake of the deaths caused by Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), attracted some 450,000 people and also featured AC/DC, Rush, Justin Timberlake and the Flaming Lips. It was formally billed as Molson Canadian Rocks for Toronto.

Highlights included an appearance by AC/DC siblings Angus and Malcolm Young as the Stones covered "Rock Me Baby." But Timberlake's duet with Mick Jagger on "Miss You" was rewarded with a volley of empty bottles from outraged fans, who in turn received stern glares from Keith Richards.

Cohl added he's not sure if the upcoming DVD will be made available to all retailers; the Stones' recent "Four Flicks" DVD was sold exclusively by Best Buy and Future Shop, resulting in some stores removing Stones-related merchandise from their racks.

Reuters/Billboard
12-30-03 09:21 AM
glencar RS.com has a 50% post-holiday sale on right now.
12-30-03 12:50 PM
Martha Release it! Yahoo!

Does anyone know why I cannot locate the Four Flicks calendar for 2004 at rollingstone.com?

I want it!!!!
12-31-03 03:07 PM
mickmask We were there, there were no 'rows' to speak of , and if you did have the pleasure (and the guts) to go, you wouldn't have missed the whole concept of the day. It wasn't about who performed better or who's sound was right or not, but about a whole bloody sea of humanity coming together (peacefullly I might add), for a very important and unique cause. Anyone there could feel how special it was to be a part of such a historical event. 'C' mon, a rock concert of almost 460,000 with no violence or bad vibes at all??? It was incredible!! Even Jagger himself had to do another once over in the chopper to believe it. Just 'listen' to his remarks on four flicks. A CD?? Absolutely!!! It would be sad not to document such a historical concert. 'Man, some people must really be short if this one went over your heads'.....
12-31-03 08:00 PM
Sir Stonesalot >It would be sad not to document such a historical concert.<

Well, I don't know how "historical" this concert was(I suppose it's a big deal in Canada, but I'm guessing the rest of the world has already mostly forgotten about it.), but certainly, lesser events have had mass media releases. I see no reason why this shouldn't get a mass release as well.

Do the proceeds go to the Toronto SARS Charity, or to the Rolling Stones already swollen bank accounts?
12-31-03 08:09 PM
glencar Martha, that sale saw stuff sell quickly. The calendar probably sold out quickly. I bought that retro one.
01-01-04 12:39 AM
mickmask Hey moans-a-lot!!! Do I detect a note of anti-canuckism...hmmmmm? Ya know I've met and loved alot of Americans and refuse to believe that their all as narrow or bitter as you obviously are. Oh, and I should think the Stones could line their pockets with just about anything they like after a lifetime of giving us the best years of theirs. You're obviously not a fan..... Just watcha doin' here anyway????? Did someone miss their PROZAC today?....Hmmmmmmmm?????????
01-01-04 08:50 AM
MRD8 I've heard that the version that is going to be released is essentially the same one that was broadcast on TV up there, in other words it will feature at least one song by every act on the bill...I think there are 4-5 Stones songs on it, aren't there? Thank God we got the whole show in amazing quality on DVD...even though it wasn't one of their best performances its still a kick to see them play in front of half a million people!
01-01-04 09:42 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
I've heard that the version that is going to be released is essentially the same one that was broadcast on TV up there, in other words it will feature at least one song by every act on the bill...I think there are 4-5 Stones songs on it, aren't there?

That's too bad. I'm sure that if they even released the complete set of the Stones' performance many would buy it because a) they were there, or b) see what the Stones look like performing in front of 1/2 a million people.

Thanks, Bob.
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
01-01-04 09:55 AM
glencar What song/s was/were played on Canadian TV?
01-01-04 10:32 AM
fna69 Start me up, HTW Satisfaction, and JJF were broadcasted. I am sure the DVD will Include Rock me baby since it was a highlight of the night as well as the MIss you duet since it was another one. Even tho I think its a waste to include it, 4 flicks showed some of mick and justin doin their cry me a river thing so i am guessing thats gonna be on their. I'd expect a 5-6 songs from the stones.
01-01-04 01:19 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
mickmask wrote:
Hey moans-a-lot!!! Do I detect a note of anti-canuckism...hmmmmm?

Why must some people find an "anti-ism" in things people say?
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
01-01-04 01:52 PM
LadyJane
quote:
mickmask wrote:
Hey moans-a-lot!!! Do I detect a note of anti-canuckism...hmmmmm? Ya know I've met and loved alot of Americans and refuse to believe that their all as narrow or bitter as you obviously are. Oh, and I should think the Stones could line their pockets with just about anything they like after a lifetime of giving us the best years of theirs. You're obviously not a fan..... Just watcha doin' here anyway????? Did someone miss their PROZAC today?....Hmmmmmmmm?????????

Another unwarranted attack!! What the Hell is going on around here, lately? The Holidays bring out the worst in everyone!? What did SS say that could possibly be construed as anti-Canadian??

And as far as he not being a fan....YOU MAY BE IN NEED OF PROZAC!!

BTW.....I was at the SARS show, thought it was fantastic and found the citizens of Toronto to be some of the warmest people I have ever met!! Bring on the DVD!!

LJ.
01-01-04 02:17 PM
Sir Stonesalot I have nothing against Canadians. I spoke the simple truth. SARSfest was and is a much bigger deal in Canada that it was for the rest of world.

Mickmask used the word "historical". To me, that means that it will be something that is remembered and spoken of in 25+ years. This may be true in Canada. But the rest of the world will have long forgotten. As much as some would like it to have been....this was not a world event. Even here in the US there was very little network coverage. CNN showed a few 30 second blurbs. I seem to remember that there was very little coverage in Europe. Europe routinely has festivals on that scale, and none of them are considered "historical".

I'm sorry if that offends, but that is the way it is. SARSfest was a much bigger deal in Canada than anywhere else. I don't see how that is "anti-canuckism"...whatever the hell that is.

I'm not sure what Mickmask's problem is with me. Didn't I say that this was worthy of a mass release? I'm really glad that the event was peaceful and successful. But that doesn't make it "historical".
01-01-04 02:30 PM
glencar I'm just glad that as Chretien is out of office.
01-01-04 06:03 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm just glad that as Chretien is out of office.

AMEN!!
01-01-04 06:18 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I'm really glad that the event was peaceful and successful. But that doesn't make it "historical".

Sure, that alone doesn't make it historical. What makes it historical - Canadian, or otherwise - was that it was the largest ticketed event in music history AND the largest audience the Stones have ever performed in front of. As a Stones' fan, I'm very grateful.

I do agree with SS as this was (and will continue to be) larger in Canada. It was here! It couldn't mean more to citizens of another country. Personally, the day makes me proud for several reasons - 1) it attracted that many people 2) it was a huge, peaceful, and from the organizers' stand point, very successful event and, 3) the Stones didn't think twice to headline for the city, province and country. How can you not be overwhelmed when the Stones do such a show 45 mins from your house?
01-01-04 06:32 PM
SHINE A LIGHT i have at least ONE reason to check it out: keith singin' "nearness of you" and the sweet words he spoke before doing the tune......he spoke about why some are chosen to die, while others remain.

someone asked which tunes were played on the cbc?? there were 3 songs, i have them on tape,but haven't bothered to view the tape!!!!
01-01-04 06:59 PM
Lazy Bones Same boat. I taped, what was supposed to be, all-day coverage from Much More Music (a Canadian MTV). I heard that coverage was very bad and, I, too, haven't been bothered to watch.
01-01-04 07:24 PM
SHINE A LIGHT hey, bones....i was in a hotel watching the "all day coverage" on MM....oh gawd, what a farce. only made my way in to see the stones' part.

so, who's gonna watch the three songs taped???? i think it was the stones' final three, but i'm not sure.

regarding the "big deal for canada".....well, it really was for toronto. the one news story for the past year is the financial loss/lives lost/etc. due to sars. so, in that respect the concert was a "big deal" for a drowning city!!
Page: 1 2