ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Clash City Rocker Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-23-03 01:36 PM
Lambchop
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
How the hell are we ever going to replace guys like Joe Strummer and Johnny Cash?

Ugh. I can't think about this anymore.

Yes, eventually. It's called the human condition. This old thang will wake some being up every once in a while.

By the way - you really did piss FPM off by waking him up at 8 am to tell him. Not that he'd EVER tell you. The truth. I knew and knew better....

Like THAT matters!

Merry X Mess
12-23-03 10:26 PM
Sir Stonesalot I piss people off all the time. I'm good at it.

I did the right thing. He needed to hear it from me, not Kurt Loder.
12-24-03 02:23 AM
FPM C10 Don't mind Lambchop. She's obviously been in the cooking sherry again.

If you had Shari Lewis's fist up your ass you'd be nasty too.

She's right - I WAS pissed that you called to tell me that. I woulda been pissed at whichever wicked messenger brought me that bit of unwanted info. But you speak a more cogent truth. I DID need to hear it from you. I don't think Lamby's ever had any real friends so she doesn't understand exactly how it works. That's why she decided to add to this thread of praise and remembrance for a Great Man by bringing up this year old crumb of unimportant, forgotten unpleasantness. And what did that bit about the human condition mean? The old thang wakes someone up? Que? I interpreted it to mean that we shouldn't mourn the deaths of Joe Strummer or Johnny Cash because there'll be another one along someday.

Posting drunk is NEVER a good idea.

Speaking of drunk, fun night last night, huh? I gather you made it home in one piece.
12-24-03 05:51 AM
Zeeta
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Hey Zeeta, drink one to me, one to the board and the remaining to ya!

LOL� @"&$%!+?&~}}{@>!!!!!!!!

Crazy bastoninions on the board! I am getting smashed every night and couldn't reply straight away!
Keep it ever so cool everyone.
Joe Strummer...nuff said - what a guy!!!
12-24-03 10:48 AM
Lambchop My my my! Still wearing THAT particular personality. Isn't it out of season and more than a little grotty by now?

Julia Child was just by - she's only cooking with Dom now. Lamby's friends are the type that she can be honest with, monkey, no two or more versions of reality picked out for whomever is around. People who are successful at what they love are often much more secure within their own skins (even if Shari Lewis's or Fred Roger's hand's up their arse!) - and much more fun to be around.

As for the loss - methinks the comment was obvious in it's assumption of hope that when great people are lost - all is not - their work and the fact that others WILL in time carry on - it's the human condition... as was the obviousness of your typical piss coloured glasses mean spirited interpretation. Ho hum. It was a comment responding to SS's regarding his feeling that no one else can...oh...nevermind. Had nothing to do with mourning. More of a philosophical issue. And if anyone else would have posted it....Sheesh.

I just finished a new project. I'll send you a copy and one for Brown. And don't worry - Lamby will not have much time to hang in your imaginary treefort soon since she'll be doing a lot of traveling the next several months. It was much fun joking and letting off steam while battling the constantly breaking down new Mac. Sorry my puppet presence seems to set ugly stuff off inside you. Merry X Mas. Hope all is well.
12-24-03 10:50 AM
Lambchop
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I piss people off all the time. I'm good at it.

I did the right thing. He needed to hear it from me, not Kurt Loder.

So do I! I like that about ya!

Merry X Mas.
12-24-03 11:22 AM
Factory Girl Who is the curly haired guy in the picture with Zeeta?
12-24-03 01:16 PM
dkmonroe What a great tribute, Stonesy. You should send that to Perfect Sound Forever or some other E-mag to get it published. It's a very insightful take on the Clash.

For myself, I hated most punk groups except for the Pistols in the late 70's. It wasn't until a couple years later that I came to appreciate the Clash. To me, they demonstrated what a punk band could do if it didn't self-destruct in a year like the Pistols, or adhere to a musical vision so constricted that it just produced the same old shriek for album after album. In other words, the Clash's music had an organic, thriving life, just like the Stones, the Beatles, and all other classic rock bands.

I also credit Joe Strummer, along with Pete Townshend, with helping me to develop an "adult" view of rock culture, due to a couple of interviews in "Musician" magazine. Strummer had some very harsh criticisms for the "million-dollar junkie rebel" rock star image and its detrimental effect on peoples' lives. It was a very bold and forthright interview. I remember a quote from it - "I think you should keep fighting until the flesh burns off your face." I still pass that little gem of wisdom on.
12-24-03 01:53 PM
Lambchop
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Tell me about it.

This board would cease to exist if that was the case!

What happened to that cool Johnny Cash avatar?

Must stop procrastinating and finish wrapping presents...Merry X Mas all!
12-24-03 02:00 PM
nankerphelge "If you had Shari Lewis's fist up your ass you'd be nasty too"

Not necessarily!

All-in-all, she had a pretty small fist. As long as you remain relaxed and had plenty of lube on hand (so to speak) it wasn't all that bad!

12-24-03 03:33 PM
glencar I used to love her fecking show! Where have all the good ones gone??????????????
12-25-03 01:03 AM
sirmoonie Well said SS.

Ain't no real niggies be fooling who the best damn band that smacked it were! Long live Clash music! Long live THE CLASH!
12-25-03 10:24 AM
MRD8 I had a great time last night watching the excellent documentary Westway To The World then topped it off by playing the video of their 1983 appearance at the US Festival...its still hard to believe that Joe died at such a young age, I thought we'd have him around a lot longer!
12-26-03 11:50 AM
Sir Stonesalot Johnny Cash loved the guy.

If he was good enough for Johnny Cash, he's good enough for everyone.
12-27-03 06:35 AM
Honky Tonk Man I must admit, I only really discovered the Clash after Joe Strummer died. I knew a few of their songs, but that was it. I went out and bought the just released Essential Clash. From the intro of White Riot, I knew I was going to love this group. And I do! Thanks to Zeeta I now have London Calling and Black Market Clash. I don't particularly want to say it, but it sometimes takes someone�s death to appreciate they're music. I hope I would have discovered the Clash anyway, but I will never know now.

Alex
12-27-03 11:38 AM
glencar If only they hadn't gone out on the sour note of Combat Rock...
12-27-03 11:41 AM
Sir Stonesalot London Calling is immaculate.

I also recommend Give 'Em Enough Rope, and oddly enough Sandanista! Sandanista is very long, and there is some filler on it, but there is also some of the most astounding songs the Clash ever recorded. Straight To Hell is simply chilling.

But don't stop with Joe's work in The Clash. I also highly recommend two of his albums with the Mescaleros....Global A Go-Go, and Streetcore. The depth of his writing, and the melding of different styles is...well...amazing. And the man never sang a note that he didn't really mean. Streetcore is a must have. If you are even mildly interested in Joe Strummer, this is one of his records that you just NEED to have in your collection.

Funny thing about that record, I usually have to skip over "Long Shadow". Not because I don't like the song, but because it almost always makes me cry.

I do have a macho image to protect, you know.
12-27-03 01:27 PM
FPM C10 Isn't "Straight To Hell" on Combat Rock?

I have a soft spot for "Give 'em Enough Rope" even though the Clash themselves disliked it. They were embarrassed that they had to use Blue Oyster Cult's producer, Sandy Pearlman (record company pressure), despite the fact that they DID beat him up the first time he met them. He tried to get in their dressing room and they had their boys show him the door. And conversely, I got their first album as an import and didn't like it as much, even though it was considered a punk masterpiece. It sounds thin to me, and I FAR prefer the great Topper to Tory Crimes on drums.

I think my favorite Clash release is the Cost of Living EP.
12-27-03 01:55 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Isn't "Straight To Hell" on Combat Rock?

I have a soft spot for "Give 'em Enough Rope" even though the Clash themselves disliked it. They were embarrassed that they had to use Blue Oyster Cult's producer, Sandy Pearlman (record company pressure), despite the fact that they DID beat him up the first time he met them. He tried to get in their dressing room and they had their boys show him the door. And conversely, I got their first album as an import and didn't like it as much, even though it was considered a punk masterpiece. It sounds thin to me, and I FAR prefer the great Topper to Tory Crimes on drums.

I think my favorite Clash release is the Cost of Living EP.

That's very interesting. I'll take the first Clash album over just about anything there is for the world to offer me. Thin it may be, but look at those suckers on the cover -- them boys is thin! The songs, the sneer and the headlong conviction are more than enough to convince me that blah blah blah will never blah blah blah and no matter that all the old heroes may die the new ones will show up if we patiently wait or even more actively LOOK (considering the trouble it apparently was to turn up the first album in the US when it was originally released, LOOKING is always better than WAITING. Y'ALL.) Love your choice of greatest Clash release ever. Would go so far myself to narrow it down to the Jail Guitar Doors/Clash City Rocker single.

London Calling, Sir Stones, is not immaculate. In fact, its final side is full of filler. Not saying it's not great, but it's not, you know, perfect.

You know what song I love from Sandanista? That Sound of the Sinners song. The sequel to "Hateful" and SO GOOD! What movie was that in recently, FPM? Can't remember.

And Cut the Crap was the bum note they went out on. Combat Rock gets a bum rap. It's at least as good as, oh, It's Only Rock and Roll.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
01-04-04 01:45 PM
Zeeta Yeah man, Sandinista! is the business.

I STRONGLY recommend "The Complete Clash" book which has recently been published, (in the UK anyway) written by a guy called Keith Topping it is an immense reference and has essays almost on the influences, facts etc about EVERY Clash song performed live, written, even practiced but never released. I picked it up in the sales for a fiver but rrp is �14.99. Really go and buy it now.
Incidentally over Christmas I want to a bar in Leeds called Sandinista!
Fuckin' ace it was too!
Hope everyone is cool!
01-05-04 05:49 PM
Joey " And what did that bit about the human condition mean? "

Pete Townshend brayed in Denver back in 2002 :

" Yes , the air is a bit thin up here , isn't it ?!?! "

" Bring Me Vodka ! ".............

" Bring Me Prostitues !! " ........

" Bring Me Giorgio Armani !!! " ....

" Bring Me .........What else do I need Roger ?!?!?! " .................

Roger : " Oxygen " ?!?!?!

Pete : " That's it , Oxygen !!!! Funny how I asked for all of those other things before Oxygen .........Isn't the Human Condition interesting ?!?!?! "

Thank You !

The JackyCake !
Page: 1 2