ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1962, 2007 Someone there!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: R.I.P. Del Reeves Return to archive
3rd January 2007 03:41 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Country Singer Del Reeves Died at 74 on New Year's DayPlayfuls.com
Jan 3,2006

Del Reeves, born Franklin Delano Reeves, died New Year's Day in his Centerville, Tenn., home at the age of 74. The Grand Ole Opry star died Monday after long battles with emphysema and other ailments.

Reeves became a regular performer on the Opry in 1966, and performed for up to one million people a year during his 40 years at the Opry. Many hailed him as one of its best entertainers because of his comic timing and his great impersonations.

Reeves was known to fans as "The Doodle-Ooh-Doo-Doo-Kid" and as "The Dean Martin of Country Music." He was given the nickname The Doodle-Oo-Doo-Doo Kid because he added the phrase "doodle-oo-doo-doo" to his vocal and guitar lines on many of his hit songs.

"I want to be remembered as a great showman and a nice guy," he told The Associated Press in 1988. "That's all I could hope for."

"He epitomized the '60s country star, from the clothes to the demeanor to the hairdo to the guitar to the pointy-toed boots," said fellow Opry member Marty Stuart to The Tennessean. "And at a time when Nashville was known for 'twang,' he was the king of that."

"I first became aware of Del when he had a syndicated television show that I picked up in South and North Carolina as a kid," said singer-songwriter Jim Lauderdale, who would later go on to duet with Mr. Reeves on a song called "Diesel, Diesel, Diesel." "I was so impressed by his voice but also impressed by the way he entertained. He was a real showman," he said, quoted by the same paper.

Del Reeves was best known for his "girl-watching" novelty-type songs of the 1960s, but proved he was capable of singing more than just his novelty tunes with his 1965 trucker's anthem "Looking Through the Windshield."

Del Reeves was born in Sparta, North Carolina in 1932. He was well educated, compared to other country singers of the time period, because he attended college. He also served in the Air force. During the 1950s, he moved out west to California. In 1954, he signed on with Capitol Records. Later in the 50s, he began to record for Decca, as well as Reprise and Columbia records. However, he failed to gain any success each time. Reeves was one day hoping he could become successful as a country singer.

Everything began to change when Reeves signed on with United Artists Records. He finally scored big in 1961 with the hit song "Be Quiet Mind". Later in 1965, he got his first #1 hit with "The Girl on the Billboard". His follow-up "The Belles of the Southern Belle" made the County Top Five. By now Reeves finally got what he wanted, a successful career in country music. During this time he and his wife became a songwriting team. He and his wife wrote songs for Rose Maddox, Carl Smith and Roy Drusky to name a few.

His success continued throughout the rest of the 1960s. This proved that Del was not just a one-hit wonder. Songs that became hits during this time are "Be Glad" and "Good Time Charlie's", which is probably his signature song.

In 1979, he left his musical career to pursue a career as a music executive. In fact, he played a big role in the signing of Billy Ray Cyrus.
3rd January 2007 03:43 PM
glencar I never heard of this guy but if he signed Billy Ray Cyrus, he's alright with me. I love that fucking Achy Breaky dance!
3rd January 2007 03:43 PM
Joey

R.I.P. Old Friend

3rd January 2007 05:30 PM
Martha Sad news.

RIP
5th January 2007 05:57 AM
corgi37 Never heard of this cat. RIP anyway.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)