ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1962, 2007 Someone there!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: THE NEXT STAGE Return to archive
2nd January 2007 07:27 PM
fireontheplatter this is a 2 part question people

if and when the stones tour again....
what is your idea of the 'ultimate' stage set up...for stadium shows.

and secondly...what song should they open up with???

everybody say ow
2nd January 2007 07:35 PM
pdog I think it's over as far as major tours and stadiums go...
2nd January 2007 08:38 PM
Gazza I dont think they'll tour again after this year, and not in stadiums.

Then again, I've thought that since 1982 and been wrong every time.

I do hope theres no more stadium shows after this. I only go because the alternative is not going at all, but I'm sick to death of paying through the nose to watch TV screens. If I cant get in the front block and have to pay more than about £80-100, I wont be in a stadium again for a concert. I managed to keep within that category last summer.

Mightnt be a popular choice, but if they did, I think they should drop the b-stage next time around. Theyve done it to death, the sound is invariably shit (and 20% of the show is a lot when youre paying for a ticket when you can hardly see or hear the band) and its become little more than a gimmick with little musical variation or innovation in it this time around.
[Edited by Gazza]
2nd January 2007 08:43 PM
mrhipfl they should tour using the superbowl stage. It would be a smaller stage so Mick wouldn't have to spend as much energy running around. It would be interesting.
2nd January 2007 08:48 PM
Gazza It'll never happen. Mick doesnt like playing 'in the round' and has said that 3 songs like that is more than enough.
2nd January 2007 08:53 PM
mrhipfl but then again, he also said the stones would never play 20 minute gigs.
3rd January 2007 09:39 AM
gimmekeef I think the perfect stage/venue would be a small covered veranda with just enough room for the drums amps etc...but no backup singers or horns...Matter of fact thats exactly what you'll see in my backyard!
3rd January 2007 09:51 AM
marko no more b-stage!
3rd January 2007 09:56 AM
GotToRollMe Yeah, I'm hoping they drop the stadium shows too. It'd be nice if they just do arenas. As for the stage, nothin' fancy - dispense with all the bells and whistles and keep it simple.

I'd like them to keep the B-stage for one reason only: The number of seats close to the main stage is limited, and the B-stage is the only chance a lot of people get to be "close," if only for a short period of time. It made all the difference in the world for me to be right on the railing for the B-stage in Atlantic City, that's for sure. It's the closest I've ever been, and it was a thrill I'll never forget.

As for the opening song, I'd like to hear "Street Fighting Man," but JJF is always a good one to get things started.
3rd January 2007 10:12 AM
Gazza
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
but then again, he also said the stones would never play 20 minute gigs.

when did he say that?

anyway - They dont.

Yet...
[Edited by Gazza]
3rd January 2007 10:24 AM
Gazza
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
Yeah, I'm hoping they drop the stadium shows too. It'd be nice if they just do arenas. As for the stage, nothin' fancy - dispense with all the bells and whistles and keep it simple.

I'd like them to keep the B-stage for one reason only: The number of seats close to the main stage is limited, and the B-stage is the only chance a lot of people get to be "close," if only for a short period of time. It made all the difference in the world for me to be right on the railing for the B-stage in Atlantic City, that's for sure. It's the closest I've ever been, and it was a thrill I'll never forget.

As for the opening song, I'd like to hear "Street Fighting Man," but JJF is always a good one to get things started.

the b-stage thing is fine if youre one of the few who get close - yet its a visual thrill more than anything musical, as the sound is often hit or miss. Usually 'miss'. Its a bit of a dip though when youre looking 60 yards behind you for 15 minutes when compared to the excitement of the show before and after it. It probably works better at a GA show, when if youre crafty enough you can manoevre your way to the b-stage if you choose to do so with a bit of advance planning. Arena shows being smaller than stadiums, its better too. Just because its you, I'll allow them to keep it

For openers - time for a change. Theres no harm in opening with a longer track for once. 'Sympathy' is long overdue an opening slot (The opening line is perfect for a dramatic entrance like the way Mick sprang from underneath the stage floor on Voodoo Lounge) and 'Midnight Rambler' at the Licks theatre show in Sydney is still, in my eyes, the hands-down winner of the 'fuck me, they opened with WHAT?' award for best start to any Stones show ever.

[Edited by Gazza]
3rd January 2007 10:47 AM
Jumping Jack Bring back the lotus.
3rd January 2007 11:32 AM
Dan I would like to see them play Too Much Blood and instead of big confetti cannons, spray out hundreds of gallons of fake blood all over the audience. More pyro and Lisa hanging from the ceiling in a cage would be cool. Or no backup singers and a 75-90 min barnstorming set with no ballads would be cool. YGMR would be a great opener - again. Mick growling the lyrics ala '78/81 instead of trying to sing.(In case you can't tell, I thought the Stones lagged far behind both Gwar and Motley Crue when it comes to stage production this year). Also surround sound like Pink Floyd did in '94. I would prefer another stadium tour though because I would be almost be guaranteed a cheap ticket.
3rd January 2007 11:54 AM
Joey " what is your idea of the 'ultimate' stage set up...for stadium shows.

and secondly...what song should they open up with???"

3rd January 2007 12:22 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

the b-stage thing is fine if youre one of the few who get close - yet its a visual thrill more than anything musical, as the sound is often hit or miss. Usually 'miss'. Its a bit of a dip though when youre looking 60 yards behind you for 15 minutes when compared to the excitement of the show before and after it. It probably works better at a GA show, when if youre crafty enough you can manoevre your way to the b-stage if you choose to do so with a bit of advance planning. Arena shows being smaller than stadiums, its better too. Just because its you, I'll allow them to keep it

Wotta guy!

For openers - time for a change. Theres no harm in opening with a longer track for once. 'Sympathy' is long overdue an opening slot (The opening line is perfect for a dramatic entrance like the way Mick sprang from underneath the stage floor on Voodoo Lounge) and 'Midnight Rambler' at the Licks theatre show in Sydney is still, in my eyes, the hands-down winner of the 'fuck me, they opened with WHAT?' award for best start to any Stones show ever.

[Edited by Gazza]

To quote a certain RO mod who shall remain nameless, "Christ on a bike!" If I was at a show and they opened with Midnight Rambler, I think I'd expire on the spot from sheer happiness. Damn!

3rd January 2007 03:02 PM
glencar If they open with MR, it's all downhill from there!

I agree teh B-stage has become too staid. I like getting up close but when SMU & HTW are 2/3 of it, it loses its magic. And we all want magic in our lives, no?
3rd January 2007 03:48 PM
Dan
quote:
glencar wrote:
If they open with MR, it's all downhill from there!

I agree teh B-stage has become too staid. I like getting up close but when SMU & HTW are 2/3 of it, it loses its magic. And we all want magic in our lives, no?

I thought Start Me Up was great on the B Stage at Dodger Stadium. Start Me Up/Midnight Rambler/cover song or BJ era song would be nice.
3rd January 2007 03:54 PM
glencar SMU was fine once or twice but I saw it at every single show on the B-stage.
3rd January 2007 04:16 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
glencar wrote:

I agree.

Last time they opened with MR, I believe JJF was omitted from the set.
3rd January 2007 04:22 PM
Gazza If you're at a theatre show, I doubt you'd be too bothered if they dropped a warhorse or two - even if its JJF.
3rd January 2007 04:24 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:

if thats what concerns everyone, then I suppose they should open with 'Hold Back'....
3rd January 2007 04:41 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:
even if its JJF.

That would bother me ..........

I would not like it ..... I wouldn't !
3rd January 2007 05:06 PM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:
If you're at a theatre show, I doubt you'd be too bothered if they dropped a warhorse or two - even if its JJF.

I love dropped warhorses.
3rd January 2007 05:06 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
glencar wrote:

Yes, magic is a must, BUT...if they started a show with Midnight Rambler, imagine if it only went uphill from there? Now that, my rickshaw-ridin' brother, is what our French friends call magique! Hell yeah!
3rd January 2007 05:34 PM
tumbled I agree with Gazza. I Abhor the stadium set up and the sound and all the body bashing and b.s. that goes on in a stadium floor seating drill. I will spare you my war stories...I feel I should be allowed to be a snob b/c I have done did the festival and stadium drill as have most of you. my dream stage set up would be a small venue, with a central stage in a better acoustical surrounding or else in a shell ON A BEACH, which of course is a logistical and acoustical nightmare... I would even do all acoustic. am i getting old or what lol...

thanks for the space to vent gotta run
lisa
[Edited by tumbled]
3rd January 2007 05:38 PM
mojoman
quote:
glencar wrote:
I love dropped warhorses.

"When all else fails, we can whip the horse's eyes..."

3rd January 2007 05:41 PM
Joey
quote:
tumbled wrote:

thanks for the space to vent gotta run

I dig your avatar
3rd January 2007 06:03 PM
fireontheplatter take giants stadium or any pro football field ok. they should set up a stage in the middle of the field ok...then the ticket prices for the floor seats will be expensive...but at giants stadium there r 3 levels so the first level will be sort of expensive and then the second level will be less expensive and the 3rd level would be the cheapest. every seat will be on sale...no behind the stage stuff anymore. i have not given much thought towards the screen scene or how the sound should be set up. but this i was thinking as i did a few song off of the hampton dvd the other night...they should definitly open with....TIME IS ON MY SIDE.

everybody say ow
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)