ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1962, 2007 Someone there!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Twilight Zone Marathon Return to archive
2nd January 2007 11:25 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Did anyone else happen to watch any of this on the Sci-Fi channel over the long weekend? I guess I caught about half of them. Rod Serling never ceases to amaze me. Easily in the top 5 TV series of all time IMO.
2nd January 2007 11:36 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Did anyone else happen to watch any of this on the Sci-Fi channel over the long weekend? I guess I caught about half of them. Rod Serling never ceases to amaze me. Easily in the top 5 TV series of all time IMO.

Watched a few. I always get surprised when I see one that I have not before. I figured I would have seen them all by now. SciFi is my favorite channel, so I really do not like when they clog it up with marathon weekends. Also, SciFi needs a HD channel. How can I enjoy BSG to the fullest without it?? How???
2nd January 2007 11:44 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Original series (1959–1964)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

>Throughout the 1950s, Rod Serling had established himself as one of the hottest names in television, equally famous for his success in writing televised drama as he was for criticizing the medium's limitations. His most vocal complaints concerned the censorship frequently practiced by sponsors and networks. "I was not permitted to have my Senators discuss any current or pressing problem," he said of his 1957 production "The Arena", intended to be an involving look into contemporary politics. "To talk of tariff was to align oneself with the Republicans; to talk of labor was to suggest control by the Democrats.

To say a single thing germane to the current political scene was absolutely prohibited, Twilight Zone’s writers frequently used science fiction as a vehicle for social comment; networks and sponsors who had infamously censored all potentially "inflammatory" material from the then predominant live dramas were ignorant of the methods developed by writers such as Ray Bradbury for dealing with important issues through seemingly innocuous fantasy.

Frequent themes include nuclear war, mass hysteria, and McCarthyism, subjects that were strictly forbidden on more "serious" prime-time drama. Episodes such as "The Shelter" or "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street" offered specific commentary on current events. Other stories, such as "The Masks" or "The Howling Man", operated around a central allegory, parable, or fable that reflected the characters' moral or philosophical choices.<
Highwire Rob
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Did anyone else happen to watch any of this on the Sci-Fi channel over the long weekend? I guess I caught about half of them. Rod Serling never ceases to amaze me. Easily in the top 5 TV series of all time IMO.

Totally agree with you! The "Night of the Meek" episode with Art Carney as a down and out Santa is always a classic story for this season.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
Some Guy Dude, I am burnt out!!
2nd January 2007 12:02 PM
Ten Thousand Motels >so I really do not like when they clog it up with marathon weekends<

As a general rule on "marathons" I agree with you. TV Land does that alot. My attention span is really short. And very few TV series can hold my attention that long. The Twilight Zone once a year is OK though. In the right mood I might get through a Brady Bunch marathon. But TV Land hasn't run one that I know of. Otherwise your'e right...they suck.
2nd January 2007 12:02 PM
Highwire Rob I think that there's a Twilight Zone going on with another thread that has this name --You click but can't get in; perhaps it's a secret world...
2nd January 2007 12:05 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:
I think that there's a Twilight Zone going on with another thread that has this name --You click but can't get in; perhaps it's a secret world...

I don't know why that happens. A couple of weeks ago that happened to another thread I started. It won't "delete" either....
2nd January 2007 01:11 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Dude, I am burnt out!!

I know what you mean. But I feel more hung over than burnt out. I can't say I wasn't warned though. Technically I wasn't allowed to watch the Twilight Zone when I was a kid. But somehow I managed to......... But then again I can remember listening to the AM radio under the covers so the sound wouldn't carry downstairs.
2nd January 2007 01:14 PM
GotToRollMe Whatever happened to The Honeymooners marathon? I miss that one. Ed Norton was a king among men!
2nd January 2007 01:17 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
2nd January 2007 01:28 PM
texile i watched a few episodes sunday night with my neices.......
classic.
when i was a kid, my cousins used to spend the night and we'd stay up late and dare each other to watch the whole thing..
2nd January 2007 02:02 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
2nd January 2007 05:16 PM
texile what's the episode with the dummy/ventriloquist?
that one still scares the shit out of me....
2nd January 2007 06:18 PM
Brainbell Jangler I watched a great PBS special on Serling a week or two ago. It exposed the moment when TV went to shit.
2nd January 2007 09:17 PM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:

Totally agree with you! The "Night of the Meek" episode with Art Carney as a down and out Santa is always a classic story for this season.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]

Always brings a tear to my eye
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)