ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1962, 2007 Someone there!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Remembering Joe Strummer Return to archive
22nd December 2006 01:55 PM
monkey_man A great man passed away 4 years ago today. Raise a glass to Joe tonight!
22nd December 2006 02:02 PM
Sir Stonesalot I hate Dec 22nd.

Joe died.

And my Grandpa just died this morning.

I'm getting REALLY drunk tonight.
22nd December 2006 02:03 PM
Gazza
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
A great man passed away 4 years ago today. Raise a glass to Joe tonight!

I will indeed

One of the true greats - and still missed

Sorry to hear about your loss, SS

[Edited by Gazza]
22nd December 2006 02:08 PM
Riffhard Tonight I will indeed crank up London Calling to 11! I met Joe a year or so before he died and he was real gent. London Calling is right up there in my top ten,and has been since it came out.

So sorry to hear about your loss Essy. Hang in there brother.

Riffy
22nd December 2006 02:10 PM
PartyDoll MEG Love Mr. Srummer.. A real loss for music

And SS, my thoughts are with you and your family....
22nd December 2006 02:10 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I hate Dec 22nd.

Joe died.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss SS. Thats a rough one. My condolences to you and your fam.

Dec 22nd is a sucky day for sure. We lost one of the best.

my friends hero is Strummer (heck he's everyones hero) - but my friend is the hugest Clash fan and idolized Strummer.

and here's the kicker... my friends birthday is Dec 22nd

how much does that suck for him?
22nd December 2006 02:11 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I hate Dec 22nd.

Joe died.

I'm so sorry to hear that! I had just come home from burying my grandmother 4 years ago when I heard the news that Joe had just died. It was a lousy Christmas. I hope yours gets better.
22nd December 2006 02:17 PM
Throwaway Sir Stonesalot, condolences to you and your family.

Strummer really showed a wide range of influences, which is why I think so many Stones fans dig the Clash.
22nd December 2006 02:35 PM
monkey_man
22nd December 2006 02:43 PM
monkey_man
22nd December 2006 02:47 PM
Honky Tonk Man Sorry to read this SS. All the best.

22nd December 2006 03:17 PM
polytoxic
quote:
Gazza wrote:

One of the true greats - and still missed

[

This one still stings. Joe left us far too soon.

22nd December 2006 03:40 PM
Sir Stonesalot I agree poly.

I've been watching YouTube clips all day.

Far far too soon.

Bucky...my Gramps was 86 this past Sept. It was an extended illness, and I'm relieved that he isn't suffering any longer.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words. I really do appreciate it.
22nd December 2006 03:59 PM
mrhipfl Strummer: you should have stayed.
22nd December 2006 04:19 PM
chevysales
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Tonight I will indeed crank up London Calling to 11! I met Joe a year or so before he died and he was real gent. London Calling is right up there in my top ten,and has been since it came out.

So sorry to hear about your loss Essy. Hang in there brother.

Riffy

same here...

classic album
22nd December 2006 04:56 PM
pdog SS my thoughts and prayers are with you... We've been watching my wife's grandpa hang on and miserabvle for almost a year. He's says he's ready to go, and it's sad to see a once strong man, have to have people dress him, feed him and wipe his ass.

I miss joe alot, but I'm also grateful we had him for all those years...

Celebrate the life!
22nd December 2006 05:00 PM
texile i loved this guy...comabat rock was like an epiphany -
the clash was, for me, the only punk with soul.
22nd December 2006 08:38 PM
mojoman
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
A great man passed away 4 years ago today. Raise a glass to Joe tonight!

a toast!!!
22nd December 2006 09:00 PM
jend god I miss him
pdog your right we were so fucking lucky to have him
wish I could have fully appericiated Joe while he was still alive(I am a right twat at self)

ss I hope you're alright my thoughts are with you.

Christmas has usually been shit for me, (Christmas 2002 was extra shitty) result of a difficult family situation and my Gran getting bitter & morbid (lost my grandfather around Christmas 1994). Over the few years she'd stopped being like that just at christmas

This is the first year I don't have to deal with that feels wierd.

she died at easter, practicaly in front of me
we'd had a difficult relationship but the night before it had seemed for a moment we were finally gettimg somewhere positive....

been celebrating Joe's life & music today (been misrible too much over the last four years)
saw in the day with the singles, rasied a glass to joe down
the pub
right now I'm drinking guiness and listening to the Meascaleros Acton gig (had the 101'ers elgin avenue breakdown revisited on earlier, nearly ended up just listening to Sweet Revenge on a loop that song is beautiful. Great versions of Shake Your Hips and Out Of Time too) - on I fought the law at the moment Mick's about to join them for Bankrobber.
22nd December 2006 10:38 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

So sorry to hear this Sir...
23rd December 2006 01:01 AM
GotToRollMe Joe was one of the good ones alright. Hell, he was one of the best ones. Another one who went too soon.

SS, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
23rd December 2006 11:54 AM
RollingstonesUSA RIP Joe, you were one of the best....

Free new Mick Jones' new band album downloads

http://www.carbonsiliconinc.com/music/mp3.aspx
23rd December 2006 12:13 PM
RollingstonesUSA According to Alan Mcgee, "Carbon/Silicon are The Stones jamming with a laptop."
27th December 2006 11:06 AM
GotToRollMe
Julien Temple's new documentary, "The Future Is Unwritten," about late Clash frontman Joe Strummer, will premiere at The Sundance Film Festival in January.

http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=381499

The Future is Unwritten
2006-UK/Ireland-Biography/Music History

PLOT DESCRIPTION
Filmmaker Julian Temple takes a look beyond the guise of the late, anti-establishment icon Joe Strummer to offer a warm portrait of the self-described "mouthy little git" who was born John Mellor, and destined to become the front man for one of the most influential musical punk bands ever. A complex figure who would learn to use his gift for music as a means of decompressing his conscience, Strummer is revealed here through unearthed interviews and the illuminating recollections of his closest companions. At times idealistic to a fault, the flawed Clash singer/songwriter had a special gift for compelling listeners to think as they moved to the music. Vintage performance footage and excerpts from Strummer's popular BBC radio program offer the ideal musical backdrop for an affectionate tribute to a punk-rock legend. ~ Jason Buchanan, All Movie Guide
27th December 2006 01:32 PM
GotToRollMe
From Billboard magazine:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003353439

Exclusive: Strummer Documentary To Premiere At Sundance

Wes Orshoski, N.Y.
"The Future is Unwritten," Julien Temple's new film on the life and career of late Clash frontman Joe Strummer, will have its U.S. premiere in mid-January at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah.

Taking its name from one of Strummer's favorite phrases, the film includes interviews with such Strummer disciples as Bono, actors Johnny Depp and John Cusack, members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Clash, old friends and those who squatted with him in condemned buildings in London before the Clash took off.

Also featured is unseen footage of Strummer's early life, as well as unearthed clips of the Clash and the Mescaleros, the band he fronted in the years prior to his 2002 death.

Using a combination of old interviews collected from journalists, as well as tapes of Strummer's BBC radio show, "The Future is Unwritten" finds Strummer "very much narrating and DJing his life story," says Temple, renown for his Sex Pistols movie "The Filth and the Fury."

The film is slated to debut in theaters via Sony Pictures in the U.S. by early summer, followed by a DVD and soundtrack release. Temple tells Billboard.com the music in the film spans Strummer's record collection, and includes techno, Hawaiian and Latin American music, as well as songs by his own bands and tracks from Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, rockabilly hero Eddie Cochran and Jamaica's Ernest Ranglin.

In a nod to one of Strummer's favorite late-life pastimes, the movie finds friends and admirers remembering the singer around campfires all over the world. Says Temple, "We had to have a bonfire on Mulholland Drive in L.A., where you can't put out a cigarette without getting dragged off by the fire brigade, and it didn't look very good until the fire officer said, 'What's the project?' We said, 'It's Joe Strummer,' and he said, 'In that case, you can have the license.'"

"And that was the effect all around: We had a runner on the shoot in New York, who got stopped by a cop for not having a safety belt and talking on a mobile phone," Temple continues. "The cop was just about to give him a ticket, when he saw the production thing on the dashboard, looked at it, and said, 'No fine. No ticket. This is for Joe.'"

"He had that effect on people," he says. "They really have a great deal of love and respect for this guy. But this is not a hero-worship film. Hopefully it does show a real human being, because that's what Joe was, first and foremost. He certainly wasn't a saint of any kind. Hopefully, the film does give you a rounded portrait of the man and his life."

"The Future is Unwritten" comes on the heels of a special Clash exhibit at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which opened last month, and the Nov. 14 release of "The Singles," a Legacy box set collecting the band's 19 U.K. singles.

31st December 2006 08:05 PM
jend has anyone read Redemption Song?
makes him a lot more human and flawed - it's pretty tragic/depressing in a lot of places, but also warm, funny uplifting and written with love. He was apparently a lot more of a tortured soul/fuck up than he ever really let on and did (& went through) some ugly things but still (as Joe ultimately describes himself) a good soul. In a way his death seems less, but at the same time more, sad because he was in a such a good place at the end of his life, pulling together different parts of his past, reconnecting with old friends, relatives, both performing & spending close time with Mick, really sorting things out with Gaby and his children (just days before his death), but still working on new things & moving forward.
1st January 2007 07:23 AM
glencar 4 years already? Time flies.
1st January 2007 04:43 PM
Sir Stonesalot I just got the Dick Rude film "Let's Rock Again" on DVD for Xmas. It's a really great look at the last Mescaleros tour and what was going on at the time of Joe's death. The concert footage is remarkable. I'm so glad that I have this.

I highly recommend it.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)