ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1962, 2007 Someone there!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: mick and the greatness of exile Return to archive
16th December 2006 04:03 PM
texile yes, this is another thread on the genius of exile but this time, i want to praise mick.
just read the new greenfield book and while it was entertaining - nothing new - it also perpetuated the myth that keith made exile all alone.
wrong - this is as much a mick album than keith.
yes, keith was inspired here but what would exile be without jagger's great, mysterious and haunting lyrics?
or his intense vocal performances?
the music wouls still be great but in my opinion, it would lack the heart...
i want to know how my fellow exile devotees feel about mick's contribution....
tell me what you thing jagger gave to exile...
16th December 2006 04:04 PM
lotsajizz the Glimmer Twins each contributed HUGE shares....
16th December 2006 04:05 PM
Taptrick
He gave his soul and a period of his life that can only be admired - not recreated.

16th December 2006 04:13 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. Mick's vocals on Exile are perhaps the most pure "rock and roll" vocals of all time; it is truly what rock and roll "singing" should sound like.

"Rocks Off" is perhaps the greatest vocal track ever.
16th December 2006 04:30 PM
texile
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
the Glimmer Twins each contributed HUGE shares....

true jizz, but that's my point...
mick never gets as much credit as keith does.
not to take anything away from keith, but jagger's lyrics and vocals were genius - and without that, the entire album would be a great jam session.
16th December 2006 04:45 PM
Bruno Mick´s performances in Ventilator Blues and Soul Survivour alone make him the greatest rock singer ever.
16th December 2006 07:54 PM
keefjunkie
quote:
Steamboat Bill, Jr. wrote:
Mick's vocals on Exile are perhaps the most pure "rock and roll" vocals of all time; it is truly what rock and roll "singing" should sound like.

"Rocks Off" is perhaps the greatest vocal track ever.

Yes.
17th December 2006 01:55 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Bruno wrote:
Mick´s performances in Ventilator Blues and Soul Survivour alone make him the greatest rock singer ever.

Add Let It Loose and the other 14 and half tunes there.
17th December 2006 03:11 PM
Fiji Joe Strange that Mick thinks so relatively little of the album
17th December 2006 03:12 PM
Cocaine Eyes I have to agree. Mick's vocals on the superb "Exile" help to add that down-and-dirty feel that we all love so much. The opener, RO, is purely brilliant work. Mick's voice takes over when the opening guitar licks end.
17th December 2006 03:44 PM
Nasty Habits I have been hooked, HOOKED, HOOKED on the mono single mix for ALL DOWN THE LINE for about a month now. It is my current number one Stones jam. It to me is a perfect combination of Mick and Keith - I assume the arrangement is primarily Keith's - it seems trademark Exile in that another instrument comes into the mix every few bars to add to the excitement of the song, but the vocals and song itself are very Mickual and the vocal is fantastic. The only thing wrong with the mono mix is that the outro ad libs are either different or not quite as pronounced, and the outro ad-libs on the album versions are one of the coolest things ever recorded.

And it just doesn't get any better than the vocals on Let It Loose.
22nd December 2006 07:14 PM
no night together ... I agree. and what's more, one of my fav songs ever TORN AND FRAYED is pure mick worrying about keith. With Keith underlining maginficently with great baking vocals his mate's concerning about it. I wondered if team-art could go any further than that.
23rd December 2006 05:28 AM
corgi37 Mick stars on Exile. His vocals were amazing. As was his lyrics. "Kissing cunt in Cannes" - indeed!

But, i think it's Jim Price's album. ALways have done. His arrangements made the album.
23rd December 2006 09:46 AM
fireontheplatter exile is so fantastic
everything about it is awesome. i don't think there is a song on it that i don't like. some stones cd's have songs they are kinda lame and i don't really care for, but oh no not my exile.

happy happy everybody.....
24th December 2006 10:03 PM
The Wick There are so many magical things about Exile and Texile is spot on about Mick's contribution. The most magical moment for me is not so much his up front stuff but his backing vocals on Happy. As sacrireligious as it sounds, I have always thought Mick singing Happy would have made an already amazing song even greater.
25th December 2006 01:19 PM
Bitch I love MICK's voice on Ventilator Blues!

26th December 2006 09:01 PM
texile
quote:
The Wick wrote:
There are so many magical things about Exile and Texile is spot on about Mick's contribution. The most magical moment for me is not so much his up front stuff but his backing vocals on Happy. As sacrireligious as it sounds, I have always thought Mick singing Happy would have made an already amazing song even greater.

happy is such a signature song for keith to me -
but you're right wick,
jagger would have given the lyrics more bite...
and his vocals would have been stronger and ballsier, making it a more thrashing rock and roll song.
1st January 2007 09:36 AM
mickjackett Does anyone have a transcription of the outro ad-libs on "All Down the Line?" I agree with everyone that this album is brilliant, and that's one of the coolest things about it. Some of the ad-libs are clear, others I'm not quite sure.
1st January 2007 10:44 AM
Lord Homosex I bet Jagger himself wouldn't know what exactly he says at the end of ADTL. That is what makes all those outros so incredible great. "Soul Survior" too.
1st January 2007 02:55 PM
glencar My CD copy has now got skips on it. Right when Let It Loose gets cooking. Arghh!
1st January 2007 02:57 PM
glencar As for the new Greenfield book, it was panned in yesterday's NY Times book review for being formulaic & Sherat over on www.maxlugar.com started a thread about howe bad it is. The guy cites JJF as being a track on Sticky Fingaz!
3rd January 2007 06:50 AM
corgi37 Too many powders, perhaps? I saw the JJF/SF reference too. Very bad error.
3rd January 2007 02:16 PM
texile i was dissapointed in greenfield's new book too..
i loved stp - but this is just rehash of everything we've already read...for the most part.
it was like reading up and down again - we've heard it all before.
no new insight or revelations...
3rd January 2007 02:55 PM
glencar He wasn't there. He just rehashed what others saw & threw in some errata...
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)