ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1962, 2007 Someone there!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ABB name your top 6 songs from the CD Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
14th December 2006 06:13 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Ten years from now, when critics look back at the Stones body of work, ABB will be regarded as one of, if not the, worst album of their career.

No stand out single. No songs that charted. Truly not one memorable song on the record. This album will be forgotten. And if they make a 50 Licks, not one song will be included.

ABB- Sucking in their Sixties.
14th December 2006 06:23 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

ABB- Sucking in their Sixties.

Rock & Roll is a young man's game.

14th December 2006 06:34 PM
MikeyC613 Sway is that Eddie and his son as your pic?
14th December 2006 06:52 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
MikeyC613 wrote:
Sway is that Eddie and his son as your pic?

Yes. Eddie is the strung out, psychotic, crystal meth addict pictured at the right.

At left, is Wolfgang. Eddie's son and newest member of Van Halen.

oh... and this just in...

next summer's mega monster tour: Aerosmith, Guns & Roses & Van Halen

you heard it here first!
14th December 2006 07:01 PM
glencar
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

You're 100% correct, in few years VL will be regarded as the last spark of the Stones magic, B2B will be regarded as a decent album and DW as their last authentic album. Nothing could save ABB, their worst selling studio album, the first studio album without hot 100, bubbling under or top 20 album rock hits, their shortest charting studio album ever on both UK or US...

I don't understand this love for VL. Boring as shit & bad lyrics a-plenty. I'd even take Satanic Majesties over taht crap.
14th December 2006 07:03 PM
SteveMiller
quote:
glencar wrote:
I don't understand this love for VL. Boring as shit & bad lyrics a-plenty. I'd even take Satanic Majesties over taht crap.

Fly Like An Eagle?
14th December 2006 07:04 PM
glencar Your time has passed...
14th December 2006 07:06 PM
SteveMiller
quote:
glencar wrote:
Your time has passed...

Your only human
14th December 2006 07:20 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:

I appreciated it with the years, the band sounds so warm on the record, great melodies and mostly good music, the weak part are some lyrics but the music compensates. Constantly I speak with people that bashed VL in previous years and now they only speak good things about it. The inverse case happens with ABB, good reception the first months and complete bashing now, even for many people who liked the album.
14th December 2006 08:29 PM
TomL RJ
Rain
She saw me coming
Infamy
Empty
Beauty
14th December 2006 08:46 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

I appreciated it with the years, the band sounds so warm on the record, great melodies and mostly good music, the weak part are some lyrics but the music compensates. Constantly I speak with people that bashed VL in previous years and now they only speak good things about it. The inverse case happens with ABB, good reception the first months and complete bashing now, even for many people who liked the album.

Actually, I don't get that sense at all. Most of the people bashing ABB didn't like it when it first came out and still don't like it. Some of the ones on this board who fit that category use every available opportunity to bash it; the usual suspects. The ones that like it don't post as often and don't use every available opportunity to praise it so one get a very disportionate idea of who really likes or dislikes ABB at least on this board. From what I can gather from the people I know & other sources, there has not been a lot of people who liked it at first and now can't stand it. It seems there has also been a few who disliked ABB at first where now the album has grown on them. By and large, I think it's fair to say there hasn't been a great deal of change either way. You either like or don't like it. I just don't think a lot of opinions have changed one way or the other.

Me??? I don't take any of this stuff personally. Don't like it?? Fine no problem. Everyone has different taste. No ones going to agree on a lots of things in life especially when it comes to music. Somehow, a few of the ones that don't like ABB have taken it upon themselves to enlighten everyone about ABB's true nature. Most people, at least i hope that's the case, can judge for themselves.

Sales??? If there's ever been an era in music where that stat is meaningless when it comes to judging quality, this is it. Come to think about it, what has that ever proved regardlessof what era we are in??? Rod the Mod's latest is flying off the shelves. What does that have to do with quality??

Everybody seems to think their opinion is the only that matters. That's a correct point of view from an individual perspective. However, an invalid one when talking about critical success or failure. That's judged not by one man or a few but an overall consensus. The fact of the matter ABB is holding up fairly well. Sure, you can find reviews that call it crap just like you find some poster who'll say the same thing. Again, critical praise is about a consensus of opinion.

Ultimately, for the individual, it depends on his or her's own individual taste. There's plenty of albums praised by the critics that I can't stand.

As for me, ABB hasn't changed much. I still think it's too long but, from my perspective, it's a good to very good effort much better than I expected. Just look at the thread where everyone was asked to choose their top six & everyone has a different set of songs. ABB??? In my opinion, it's the STONES best effort since Tattoo You which was released some 25 years ago.
14th December 2006 09:21 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Gotta keep current or you die.<

Oh I keeps current on da rocks and da rolls. I do a "Best of" every year. And those discs kick serious ass. They will hold you down, and purple nurple you until you squeal for ya mammy. True dat. Rock so vicious that it will rip your face off like a starvin' Puma. A Puma I say! But see, that's the thing...I like Rock n Roll. And ABB does not fit my idea of rock n roll...and it never will.

Where's the snarly attitude? Where is the piss and vinegar? Where's the songs about hot chicks, and drugs and drinkin, and fuckin & fightin? Where's the smarmy humor? Where's the paint peelin guitars? Where's the songs that make you wanna smash shit up and fuck the wife in the ass? Where's the damn songs that rip my face off like a damn starvin' Puma?!? I said PUMA again!!! Where are they man? Why aren't they on ABB where they should be? Where is the damn dangerous razor sharp edge that threatens ominously to disembowel me at any second? That's what I love most about The Stone's music...WHERE THE FUCK DID THAT SHIT GO????? I can't fucking hear it in there man...I WANNA FUCKIN' HEAR IT!!! But I can't hear what ain't there...and that is what frustrates me the most. That, and the Pumas.

I want it back in there damn it(not the Pumas though...I don't like Pumas). Someone should make that happen. Maybe we can hypnotize them back into giving a shit again. Or something.

>Rock & Roll is a young man's game.<

Not really. Neil has the last name Young, but he ain't young no more. Does not stop him from rockin' his ass off. Dylan may be Forever Young, but his body ain't. Shit, the man can't even strap a guitar on for concerts anymore. Don't stop him from rockin' either. Radio Birdman...old enough to be my dad(s)...and they will rock the teeth right outta yer skull. Iggy? Got an AARP card years ago. Yet he can tear your arms out of their sockets with his righteous rockin'. David Johansen and Syl Sylvain are so old that they fart dust. Yet their rock will peel yer scalp back. Buzzcocks...all came out of a retirement village...and rock so hard that their music will slice yer ears off with a buzzsaw. They blew two bands half their age off the stage, out the damn door, across the Delaware, and into Camden NJ. And THAT's where a wild Puma ripped their faces off like a damn starvin'....uh...Puma.

No. Chronological age has nothing to do with rock n roll. It's the age of the soul my man. But Puma's...man they got no soul at all. They just got deep endless black where them soul should be. Pumas...fuck 'em man, I hate 'em...I hate 'em real bad. Because they are Pumas, and they want to rip my face off. And I like my face...I'm, like, all handsome and stuff. But I won't be all handsome and stuff if a Puma rips off my face.

I would fuck up a Lynx though. Lynx's are pussies.
14th December 2006 10:53 PM
monkeyman2 Rough justice
Rain Fall Down
Laugh I
This place is empty
Dangerous Beauty
Sweet neo con
15th December 2006 08:44 AM
Bitch We have our different IMO's, as displayed in this thread! I'm gonna add up all the choices from everyone and post the group results. It should be interesting to see which songs are most popular with the Rocks Off gang. I'll count em up and post the tally on Dec. 17th. If some of you dont like 6 songs from ABB, surely you can find a few songs as favorites? For the people who cant pick 6, how about naming 3 instead?
15th December 2006 09:01 AM
Sir Stonesalot OK, here's 3 that I don't hate. I don't really like them all that much, but they don't make me puke either. For the record, when held up to the rest of The Rolling Stones catalogue of songs...these three are pretty damn mediocre.

Rough Justice
ONNYA
Back O' My Hand
15th December 2006 01:49 PM
axl79 I really disliked the album the first listen, but some songs got really good with time, like "Laugh, I Nearly Died" & "This Place Is Empty"

My top 6 list;

Laugh, I Nearly Died
This Place Is Empty
Rain Fall Down
Streets Of Love
Biggest Mistake
Rough Justice

Songs that really sucks IMHO

Oh No, Not You Again

[Edited by axl79]
15th December 2006 09:03 PM
glencar Soldatti, your theory has been proved wrong. I used to like VL when it first came out but when the far-superior BTB was released, I realized just howe bad VL was. It has kept sinking in my estimation.
15th December 2006 11:30 PM
gotdablouse "VL will be regarded as the last spark of the Stones magic" ? If you're referring to the stuff on Brew, Stew and Residue, maybe, I don't think anything that got released actually qualifies for the term "spark" ? B2B had a bit of it on AOMe, Saint and OOC.

That's been said countless times, but if ABB had some decent guitar playing, by say Waddy Wachtel, it would have been a whole different story. Mick did his part, the songs are pretty good, lycris, not really, Keith is mostly AWOL (except on Won't take long), that's THE problem here.

1. Rain
2. Let me Down
3. Won't take long
4. ONNYA
5. Rough Justice (for the drumming)
6. LIND
Bonus cut : We don't wanna go home, idiotic, but refreshing to see them play that kind of stuff at that point in their carreer !
16th December 2006 06:31 AM
corgi37 1. Waterloo
2. SOS
3. Knowing me, Knowing you
4. Dancing Queen
5. Winner takes it all
6. Mama Mia

Oh...ABB! Thought is was Abba.

Ergh, i'll stick with the above songs.
16th December 2006 09:21 AM
Bitch
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
1. Waterloo
2. SOS
3. Knowing me, Knowing you
4. Dancing Queen
5. Winner takes it all
6. Mama Mia

Oh...ABB! Thought is was Abba.

Ergh, i'll stick with the above songs.

OK I'll transfer that for you into ABB:
1. Rain
2. SOL
3. Oh No Not You Again
4. Dangerous Beauty
5. Wont take long
6. Infamy
17th December 2006 05:18 PM
MikeyC613 1. Rough Justice
2. It Won't Take Long
3. This Place is Empty
4. Infamy
5. Dangerous Beauty
6. Under the Raaaaaaadar
17th December 2006 06:15 PM
glencar
quote:
Bitch wrote:

OK I'll transfer that for you into ABB:
1. Rain
2. SOL
3. Oh No Not You Again
4. Dangerous Beauty
5. Wont take long
6. Infamy

You know deep down he actually likes it!
17th December 2006 11:29 PM
Bitch
quote:
Bitch wrote:
I'm gonna add up all the choices from everyone and post the group results. It should be interesting to see which songs are most popular with the Rocks Off gang. I'll count em up and post the tally on Dec. 17th.

OOPS sorry but I didnt quite make my own deadline! Extension needed, till I get some free time!
18th December 2006 12:03 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Where's the snarly attitude? Where is the piss and vinegar? Where's the songs about hot chicks, and drugs and drinkin, and fuckin & fightin? Where's the smarmy humor? Where's the paint peelin guitars? Where's the songs that make you wanna smash shit up and fuck the wife in the ass?

That was beautiful, pure poetry, and nothing but the truth

The "fuck your wife in the ass" measure should be the gold standard that all good rock n roll should be judged

and ABB doesn't even come close to making the mark, it doesn't even get to first base, it's at the "I took her out to a fancy resturant for an expensive dinner that she didn't even eat, and then she made me go see some shitty chick flick, after that we went home and she made me sleep on the couch without even giving me kiss" sub-class of rock

ABB's a nice guy and we all know where nice guys finish......LAST!
18th December 2006 12:53 AM
Winning Ugly -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Where's the snarly attitude? Where is the piss and vinegar? Where's the songs about hot chicks, and drugs and drinkin, and fuckin & fightin? Where's the smarmy humor? Where's the paint peelin guitars? Where's the songs that make you wanna smash shit up and fuck the wife in the ass?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was beautiful, pure poetry, and nothing but the truth

The "fuck your wife in the ass" measure should be the gold standard that all good rock n roll should be judged

and ABB doesn't even come close to making the mark, it doesn't even get to first base, it's at the "I took her out to a fancy resturant for an expensive dinner that she didn't even eat, and then she made me go see some shitty chick flick, after that we went home and she made me sleep on the couch without even giving me kiss" sub-class of rock

ABB's a nice guy and we all know where nice guys finish......LAST!

[/quote]

Yeah dudes! Snarley attitude songs about drinking and fighting and fucking, and smashing shit up from a group of 60 year olds would have been so real!

It's 2006 o'clock, wake up.
18th December 2006 05:47 AM
Gazza
quote:
Winning Ugly wrote:
Yeah dudes! Snarley attitude songs about drinking and fighting and fucking, and smashing shit up from a group of 60 year olds would have been so real!

It's 2006 o'clock, wake up.

Exactly. If they wrote songs like that, they'd be ridiculed by many people for pretending to be 21 again.

Much of the better songwriting on the album is the more 'mature', world weary lyrics (LIND, LMDS, Biggest Mistake)- if anything, the worst lyrics on the entire record are in songs where Mick's still trying to 'act' outrageous - the juvenile banality of 'ONNYA' (good tune, but that 'moon is yellow' verse is up there with the 'sharks will cry' one as his worst ever) or the 'lets throw in a few swear words for effect to disguise the fact that the lyrics are trite' nonsense of 'Sweet NeoCon'.

And no 'smarmy humour' ? Come on - 'Dangerous Beauty' is a perfect example of it.
[Edited by Gazza]
18th December 2006 07:02 AM
ListenToTheLion Sir Stonesalot: grow up.
18th December 2006 08:05 AM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Exactly. If they wrote songs like that, they'd be ridiculed by many people for pretending to be 21 again.

Much of the better songwriting on the album is the more 'mature', world weary lyrics (LIND, LMDS, Biggest Mistake)- if anything, the worst lyrics on the entire record are in songs where Mick's still trying to 'act' outrageous - the juvenile banality of 'ONNYA' (good tune, but that 'moon is yellow' verse is up there with the 'sharks will cry' one as his worst ever) or the 'lets throw in a few swear words for effect to disguise the fact that the lyrics are trite' nonsense of 'Sweet NeoCon'.

And no 'smarmy humour' ? Come on - 'Dangerous Beauty' is a perfect example of it.
[Edited by Gazza]

Good post, as per usual. I think the ONNYA verse that sucks is supposed to show that he doesn't have any "wit" such as referred to in the previous line. At least I'm hoping that's so.
18th December 2006 08:38 AM
Gazza LOL...I hope you're not trying to suggest that that pile of crap about 'yellow/jello' and 'staring down your tits' is an attempt at irony thats gone over all of the heads of those wannabee critics amongst us?
18th December 2006 09:25 AM
Sir Stonesalot >Sir Stonesalot: grow up.<

No. No fuckin' way.

I refuse to apologize for liking what I like. I like hard ass rock n roll. The Stones did not do that with ABB. Ergo...I don't like ABB. And nothing will ever change that. There will never come a time when I say, "Hey, this ABB album really ROCKS ASS!". That is because it is not a "rock n roll" album, not by my definition of rock n roll anyhow. And it is just not my cup of tea.

And I don't get what the year or what the Stones age has to do with anything. What? You can't rock in 2006 o'clock? They reached a magic number of years so they can't rock anymore?

Bullshit. That's a fucking lame rationalization. Nothing more than an excuse. See, I still think that the Stones COULD rock ass if they actually wanted to do it. I just don't think they want to. That would require real effort on their part...not something comfortable old men with more money than god are willing to do. Except for Dylan and Young, or course.

Gaz...Dangerous Beauty...I'd be tempted to agree with you, except for that stupid, plodding riff. It cancels out anything even remotely funny about the song.

But I'm not gonna quibble about any of that...I stand by everything I said previously. If you see and hear things differently...that's fine by me. Not the first time people have disagreed with me, and I doubt it'll be the last time either.

All I can say is that I know what I like, and ABB ain't that.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)