ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"Rovesnik" N8 Russia August 2001
Provided by Irina
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: NAME YOUR FAV STONES SONG EVER!! Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-05-03 09:28 PM
woodywoodpecker Id like to see some opinions on peoples fav stones songs. I know its a very hard thing to do because they are all great so lets make it your fav 3:opinions please

My choices would be:

1.Tumbling Dice -It Rocks and always makes ya feel good!

2.Midnight Rambler- An awesome riff and depicts a great
story!

3.Black Limosuine- Ronnie kickin serious rock n roll ass!

01-05-03 09:31 PM
exile 1. BROWN SUGAR - need i say more?
2. SLAVE - good groove just into this song at the moment
3. ROCKS OFF - just pure stones raw as you can get
01-05-03 09:53 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl All in its original studio versions:

1.- SFTD
2.- GIMME SHELTER
3.- ROCKS OFF tie with JJF
01-05-03 10:48 PM
parmeda 1. Sympathy For The Devil
2. Under My Thumb
3. Brown Sugar

No.1 will NEVER change, however 2&3 change every 30 minutes or so...
01-05-03 10:55 PM
Scot Rocks Such a Hard Question however at the moment

1 - Jumpin Jack Flash/ Rambler live

There is so many amazing songs in my head just now, however I know I am gonna end up typing up a top 10 or 20 and still feel guilty for leaving others out, so I'll stop now.

THE STONES, EASILY THE GREATEST BAND TO GRACE THIS EARTH!!!

"Goodnight, sleep tight"

Mark

[Edited by Scot Rocks]
01-05-03 11:46 PM
TracyGene 1.JJF 2.Gimme Shelter 3.Brown Sugar I know, I'm picking the "safe warhorses"but I like em,like em,yes I do!
01-05-03 11:52 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Crap, that's too hard.

But I will say this.

My "#1" song, out of many #1 songs, since the day I came to this board, is still "Rocks Off". Which is why I chose this board, incidentally. Keno's was taking too long to load on Blimp Day, so I checked the links, and there it was... ROCKS OFF. I figured "They must like the song. I shall go there and be among my own kind."

And lo! So it happened!

It's really the song that makes the Stones the Stones, I think. It's just got that nasty, angry feeling of all that pent-up sexual frustration combined with the fact that everyone playing and singing just seems to be slightly out of sync with each other... and Keith's backing vocals, which sound more like distant wailing than singing. And the bridge, with that sudden etherial clarity, smashing you back down - it's like cruising down an open stretch of California highway or a burnt-out row of warehouses in New York at 150 miles per hour with the top down and not giving a flying fuck about life, only knowing that eternal feeling of youth frustration with life in general: "I want to shout, but I can hardly speak."

God damn, I love that song. I hope they play that in Boston again. The version they played was just raw and nasty - if they'd turned Ronnie *UP* a bit more and cut the backing singers for that number it'd've caused the entire male population of the audience to soil their shorts, and who knows, maybe some of the women. As it was, it was still fucking fantastic.

-tSYX --- The sunshine bores the daylights outta me...
01-06-03 12:11 AM
exile Amen to that TheSavageYoungXyzzy
01-06-03 01:09 AM
rodors it's very hard.......

1- Let it bleed
2- You can't always get what you want
3- Waiting on a friend

but really hard to say...
01-06-03 01:56 AM
souldoggie So MANY songs have been my absolute favorite, each for a good while. I remember one month, must have been 74 or 75, when all I wanted to hear was Short and Curlies.

But lately, for a while now, I'm thinking Gimme Shelter is their best song. It moves people in any place that it's heard. Guys and gals and fans and non-fans alike. That one may live forever.
01-06-03 02:28 AM
stonedinaustralia on the basis we're talking official releases and this question is so hard as to be almost impossible to answer i'm with you woody

"tumbling dice"
01-06-03 02:33 AM
Dr. Frankenstone 1)Play With Fire

2)Hand of Fate

3)Happy
01-06-03 04:48 AM
F505 Let it loose
01-06-03 05:26 AM
woodywoodpecker no offence to our wonderful site, but i had no idea Rocks Off (the song) was that popular among many. Gimmie shelter seems to be a big fav also.
01-06-03 09:59 AM
Jerry in Boston My favorite Rolling Stones song has, and always will be, the first song I ever heard. It was Side 1, Song 1 on Between The Buttons US: "Let's Spend The Night Together".

I love that song to this day. It was that song and Jack's piano playing that made me fall in love with that instrument and end up driving my family nuts with endless practice. LOL

01-06-03 10:20 AM
justforyou 1. Satisfaction on Sullivan (checkout Brians rhythm)
1. Honky Tonk at Hyde Park (best version ever ?)
1. Jack Flash on Gimme Shelter (a killer performance)

01-06-03 10:24 AM
LadyJane How can you only pick 3 songs? Ok, so I'm headed for a deserted island for the remainder of my days. I can only take 3 Stones songs with me.............................

#1. Gimme Shelter. The opening riff sends chills down my spine. Merry Clayton's solo is haunting and who would have ever thought that the song's words would be so relevant 30 plus years after it's release??

#2. Brown Sugar. I defy anyone to sit still when this song is played. Whether I'm in the car, at my desk at the office, or in a store in the Mall, I'm dancing and singing like a fool!

#3. Got to be a tie between Happy and Lady Jane.
01-06-03 10:57 AM
L&A 1. Sympathy For The Devil
2. Midnight Rambler
3. Gimme Shelter
And so many others !

Strange, no Satisfaction here, except Justforyou. It seems that real fans don't considere Satisfaction as a masterpiece, even if it is considered by the common people as the symbol of the Stones...

We could make a new thread: which song(s) will still be famous in 100 years ?
01-06-03 12:03 PM
tumblingdice 1) Tumbling Dice/ Beast of Burden tie
2)Shit how do you choose? hmmmm Start Me Up as it still rocks the car and makes you want to shake your ass. Talk about pent up sexual tension, you make a dead man cum.
3) Stray Cat Blues or Monkey Man or JJF or HTW
01-06-03 12:43 PM
justforyou Tumblin Dice in Brussels'73 is incredible.
Start Me Up at the VMA 1994 (what great guitar interplay and a stunning solo by Ronnie!)

And whats this calling me an unreal fan L&A...maybe tasteless, but real enough !?
01-06-03 12:47 PM
justforyou Which brings me to why Don't Stop wasn't played on the New Years Fox show ?!
01-06-03 01:44 PM
L&A Oh sorry , justforyou, it wasn't mean like that !!! You know, it's sometimes difficult for me to explain my ideas in English. Of course, we all are real fans of the RS, including the legendary Satisfaction, and I would never-never judge someone following his preferred songs ! It was only because I think it's strange that Satisfaction was only nominated once... comparing to the symbol it represents !

Keep rocking, my friend
01-06-03 02:12 PM
Chest Rockwell Let It Bleed

Brown Sugar

Rocks Off
01-06-03 02:17 PM
Boomhauer When the Whip Comes Down

Start Me Up

Let It Bleed

Not to mention, many more.................and Back to Zero.

These guys like Slave, Lies, and Flip the Switch. And some more...........
|
|
|
|
|
|
\/

01-06-03 02:38 PM
magicwoman 1. jumping jack flash
2. sympathy for the devil
3.street fighting man
01-06-03 03:13 PM
sammy davis jr. 1. Let It Loose
2. Rocks Off
3. Sway
3.5 (The bastard step-child) Had It With You

I must say that of all their records I like the production of Exile the best, even though it's considered to be one of their worst production-wise. The whole record just has a SOUND I love. Musta been Keith's basement.
01-06-03 04:41 PM
stewed & Keefed Sympathy For The Devil
Street Fighting Man
Stray Cat Blues
All off the best album ever.
[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
01-06-03 05:12 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat come on, this is to f*ck*ng hard!!
01-06-03 06:40 PM
luridchief Honkey Tonk Women

Respectable

--and--

Midnight Rambler
01-06-03 06:48 PM
ziggypayne Gimme Shelter -- It sets a mood, paints a picture, and rocks like nobody's business. As long as there is conflict in the world the song is relevent. In a word: Timeless.

Jumpin' Jack Flash -- Straight up attitude and kick ass rock.

Let It Bleed -- A fun tune that I've always enjoyed.

Honerable mention: Most of the tunes from JJF though Exile and some odds and ends from before and after.
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003