ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

© Jill Furmanovsky
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Van Morrison Return to archive
January 7th, 2006 10:53 PM
RollingstonesUSA What studio album should I buy first....
January 7th, 2006 10:59 PM
Gazza The first two you should buy are two of his earliest ones :

Moondance
Astral Weeks

(not least because many of the place names mentioned are in my neighbourhood)

Veedon Fleece and St Dominics Preview are also worth getting

Of the later ones (ie, 1980's onwards), I like

Beautiful Vision
The Healing Game
A Sense of Wonder
Enlightenment

Its a hard call. Van doesnt tend to make many shit albums. Most are solid enough.

Some of the live records are great too. Every music fan should own "Its Too Late To Stop Now" which was recorded in 1973.
[Edited by Gazza]
January 8th, 2006 03:07 AM
Prodigal Son Yeah, I'd say Astral Weeks and Moondance are essential. If you only want great music from that point on, I suggest with my personal grade attached:
His Band and Street Choir-A
Any collection of his 60s group Them
Tupelo Honey-A-
St. Dominic's Preview-A
It's Too Late to Stop Now (Live)-A
Veedon Fleece-A-
Into the Music-A
Avalon Sunset-A-
Too Long in Exile-A-, my personal wild card fave which no one mentions. Awesome blues, some jazzier pop, two great duets with John Lee Hooker and the odd spiritual soul Van specializes in.

From there, if you're really digging Van, then most everything is quite good to own:
Blowin' Your Mind-B
Wavelength-B+
Beautiful Vision-B+
Poetic Champions Compose-A-
Enlightenment-B+
Hymns to the Silence-B+
A Night in San Fransisco (Live)-B+
The Healing Game-B+
Back on Top-B+
Down the Road-B+
What's Wrong with This Picture?-B
Magic Time-B

Some others from his 90s, 00s period I don't have but have heard enough from to judge. I know that approach these with caution as they range from average to mediocre or are experimental compared to Van's other work. Though some can be enjoyed if it fits your acquired taste and I also give my own grade:
Hard Nose the Highway-B-
A Period of Transition-B
Common One-B
Inarticulate Speech of the Heart (good mood music except 3 out of its 4 instrumentals are new age junk)-B-
A Sense of Wonder-B-
No Guru, No Method, No Teacher-B+
Irish Heartbeat (w/the Chieftains, it's basically traditional Celtic folk music stuff)-B-
Days Like This-B-
How Long Has This Been Going on (good if you can tolerate jazz)-
A-
The Philosopher's Stone-B
You Win Again (w/Linda Gail Lewis)-B
The Skiffle Sessions (w/Lonnie Donegan and Chris Barber)-B

The best of Van, Vol. 1 and 2 are ok, but you need the essential discs to know the true greatness of Van, the Celtic/British version of dylan, IMO.

[Edited by Prodigal Son]
January 8th, 2006 04:01 PM
texile tupelo honey
his band and street choir
moodance
those are my personal favorites but van can do no wrong -
caravan is one of the most beautiful songs ever.....
i also loved wavelength.

i used to think loving van was something unique - and than i realized how popular he was with alot of mainstream new agers, yuppies etc...
he still immaculate though...
January 8th, 2006 07:53 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The first two you should buy are two of his earliest ones :

Moondance
Astral Weeks

(not least because many of the place names mentioned are in my neighbourhood)

Veedon Fleece and St Dominics Preview are also worth getting

Of the later ones (ie, 1980's onwards), I like

Beautiful Vision
The Healing Game
A Sense of Wonder
Enlightenment

Its a hard call. Van doesnt tend to make many shit albums. Most are solid enough.

Some of the live records are great too. Every music fan should own "Its Too Late To Stop Now" which was recorded in 1973.
[Edited by Gazza]

I got Moondance yesterday, all I can say is WOW, everyone thanks for all the advice, keep rockin'
January 8th, 2006 09:48 PM
The Wick I was just listening to Into the Music today. It is a truly beautiful album and opens up with two of his greatest songs: Bright Side of the Street and Full Force Gale. The rest is great but let it grow on you. Just a stunning album.
January 9th, 2006 02:16 AM
Prodigal Son Yeah, Into the Music is the most passionate, spiritual album he ever made and therefore is one of the best of its type. That's what born-again Christian music should sound like, but outside of "I Believe in You," "Precious Angel," "What Can I Do for You?" "Every Grain of Sand," "Ye Shall Be Changed" and "Lord Protect My Child," Dylan had it all wrong. Van is great. The segueing last 2 tracks "It's All in the Game/You Know What They're Writing About" is possibly one of the greatest meditative rock songs ever! Gorgeous music.
January 9th, 2006 04:52 AM
Gazza "Into The Music" is a very good album indeed. I overlooked that one

Van's had more religions that most people have had hot dinners. He was raised as a Jehovah's Witness but around the time that album came out he was into Scientology for a while
[Edited by Gazza]
January 9th, 2006 10:12 AM
glencar Which one has Tore Down A La Rimbaud? I love that song but I don't think the rest of the album is all that good.
January 9th, 2006 10:13 AM
glencar Levermind - it's right here! A Sense of Wonder.
January 9th, 2006 10:44 AM
blackandblue Just buy Common One. Don't buy one of the last seven or eight albums because they are all slices of the same saucage. In fact all his eighties albums are excellent.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)