ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

© Jill Furmanovsky
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Advice on getting a new computer needed Return to archive
January 6th, 2006 11:49 AM
JaggerLips I bought an Apple iMac bluebell 6 years ago and I am looking to get a brand spanking new computer as this one is becoming increasingly obselete! Freaking technology!

I want a CD rewriter and the ability to use an ipod or an mp3 player on it.

Don't use computers that much other than for word processing and storing pictures and things of interest off the internet (don't worry nothing bad! LOL)

Anyone care to recommend any to me?
January 6th, 2006 12:37 PM
jb I like my Dell Inspiron 600 lap top.....with all the goodies and warranty, $1800. Newer versions available.
January 6th, 2006 01:01 PM
Fabio Hot Stuff I- MAC!!!!
I -BOOK
I have both and my life is happy
January 6th, 2006 01:03 PM
jb I don't use Apple products(see beatles)
January 6th, 2006 01:37 PM
Fabio Hot Stuff LOL Jb! my I mac is blue and called Melody ( she was her second name)
January 6th, 2006 01:49 PM
J.J.Flash Don't worry about brands, as long as the equipment has a Intel P4 HT 3.2 Ghz 2MB Cache Processor, 1 GB RAM, Hard Disk 120GB SATA, Motherboard ASUS, DVDRW Drive, VGA card (ATI or NVIDIA)
January 6th, 2006 02:12 PM
JaggerLips
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
Don't worry about brands, as long as the equipment has a Intel P4 HT 3.2 Ghz 2MB Cache Processor, 1 GB RAM, Hard Disk 120GB SATA, Motherboard ASUS, DVDRW Drive, VGA card (ATI or NVIDIA)

You sound like you are from Star Trek or something LOL!!!

January 6th, 2006 03:53 PM
GimmeExile Wait until next week (MacWorld) before you buy a new Mac. New products to be announced, maybe even new Intel-based iBooks and Powerbooks...Definitely stay with Mac, though!
January 6th, 2006 06:20 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
JaggerLips wrote:
Anyone care to recommend any to me?

What's your budget?
January 6th, 2006 08:11 PM
GhostofBrianJones Have an iMac OSX Tiger which has been wonderful.
Was rated #1 in Consumer Reports the last time. Toshiba was
rated #1 in laptops unless all this has changed. Mick has a Mac
laptop, just thought would throw that in.
January 6th, 2006 08:50 PM
Scottfree
quote:
jb wrote:
I don't use Apple products(see beatles)

She's a Rainbow????
January 7th, 2006 10:20 AM
chevysales
quote:
jb wrote:
I like my Dell Inspiron 600 lap top.....with all the goodies and warranty, $1800. Newer versions available.

got my kids the dell inspiron 9300 laptop real powerful desktop replacements... but i am computer savy and will advise if not dell can be a bitch to deal with regards to problems. most manufacturers fall into same category nowadays. i don't buy any warrantys other then basic 1 year that come with setups...

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/entnb_9300?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

go here and look for weekly coupons good for anywhere $500-$750 off. for dell check out the dell forum there but other manufacturer forums available.

http://www.notebookforums.com/

[Edited by chevysales]
January 7th, 2006 10:47 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
chevysales wrote:

got my kids the dell inspiron 9300 laptop real powerful desktop replacements... but i am computer savy and will advise if not dell can be a bitch to deal with regards to problems. most manufacturers fall into same category nowadays. i don't buy any warrantys other then basic 1 year that come with setups...

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/entnb_9300?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

go here and look for weekly coupons good for anywhere $500-$750 off. for dell check out the dell forum there but other manufacturer forums available.

http://www.notebookforums.com/

[Edited by chevysales]

9300's a big book

the price just dropped on the XPS m140 from $999 to 949, its the replacement system for jb's m600, its got a phat widescreen, dvd/rw and 1.8 gig processor
January 7th, 2006 11:59 AM
egon i'd say dell.

January 7th, 2006 08:22 PM
WhenTheWhipComesDown iMick has a Mac.
January 8th, 2006 04:33 AM
IanBillen
If it is just one computer and not a slew I would go Mac. You can pick up a mac mini for $500. If not I would go PC if I want to play games. Gamers should go PC. There is just so much more out there for PC when it comes to games and free demo's.

Mac is great if you know zero about computers and you want to get involved with one. Also Mac is great for graphic design, and printing things you have congered up like brochures, adds, covers for leaflets etc. etc.
Mac is also the standard for audio applications such as logic, garage band, and Pro-tools. Although Pro-Tools now has a version for PC but it is sketchy and as I have heard from a few people who use Pro-Tools on both that it runs much better on a Mac.

PC's are very upgradable. Easy to work on. Macs are less easy to upgrade but that is slowly changing. PC is cheaper. Mac is considered higher end but is more pricy.

PC is GREAT for networking options. Microsoft has like so many networking options especially for large networks.

Both are good for basic security allthough Mac is a little weaker in security locally (at the PC itself). On networks they are about even.

Macs are almost never nailed by viruses and as of right now in 2006 it is still basically a non-issue when it comes to viruses and Macs. You see, almost all, and I mean like 99.9% of viruses are written to be run on PC operating systems so Macs are not open to them. A major virus hasn't hurt Mac in years and years.

It is all what you are going for and what you want to spend.

Ian
January 8th, 2006 04:49 AM
chevysales
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

9300's a big book

the price just dropped on the XPS m140 from $999 to 949, its the replacement system for jb's m600, its got a phat widescreen, dvd/rw and 1.8 gig processor

big book... desktop replacement

pentium m runs way cooler for notebooks than a p4 which is dated for notebooks and is huge battery hog.
again all depends on budget and what you wish to use it for.

viruses? smart computing, virus protection and spyware apps kept up to date will prevent that. it all starts with smart computing. never had one although a few have been sent by others infected.

either way check out the online coupons huge savings.

don't buy extra memory from the manufacturer get all memory from newegg.com or elswhere much cheaper and don't skimp on memory.

computers are like music many different opinions on same song.

as soon as you get it i would recomend you reformat hard drive to get rid of all excess junk and apps most manufacters load on and have starting with windows unnesecerily.

[Edited by chevysales]
January 8th, 2006 11:32 AM
Fabio Hot Stuff
quote:
WhenTheWhipComesDown wrote:
iMick has a Mac.

LOL
You're a Genius !!!
IMick got a mac...wonderfull!
January 8th, 2006 02:38 PM
JaggerLips
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

What's your budget?

Under £1000 preferably, no more than though.
January 8th, 2006 02:42 PM
JaggerLips
quote:
WhenTheWhipComesDown wrote:
iMick has a Mac.

LOL!!! That must be the most reliable computer despite its age it still works well and can still keep up with the times! (Of course I am talking about Mick here)

I am leaning towards another iMac at the minute.
January 9th, 2006 09:38 AM
blackandblue
quote:
JaggerLips wrote:
I am leaning towards another iMac at the minute.

Of course sweetheart! You are not for nothing a woman of weatlh and taste! Once a Mac always a Mac.
January 9th, 2006 12:03 PM
JaggerLips
quote:
blackandblue wrote:

Of course sweetheart! You are not for nothing a woman of weatlh and taste! Once a Mac always a Mac.

LOL!

My new computer fund begins today! I am going to put one week's wages aside each month to it!
January 9th, 2006 12:44 PM
blackandblue That's great darling!!!!!!!
January 9th, 2006 12:46 PM
JaggerLips
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
That's great darling!!!!!!!

Oh Schatje
January 9th, 2006 03:29 PM
Jumping Jack Make sure it has a fast CD/DVD reader ad 16x DL DVD writer.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)