ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

© Jill Furmanovsky
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ABB is a "basic" album, which makes it to the point....From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 6th, 2006 07:30 PM
IanBillen SSA:

The bulk of ABB are basic structered rock tunes. A handfull are not. Every single Stones album I have ever heard that was a studio release since the 1960's has had more than one type of musical style involved for Pete's sake.

Compare ABB to BTB and there is a huge difference in the type of album The Stones were going for on this album.

GHS was not a basic Rock Album. Black and Blue was not a basic Rock album. Undercover was not a basic rock album. Their Satanic Majesties request was certainly not a basic rock album. None have been all 100% rock n roll with nothing but a straight rock n roll tunes song after song after song. But They are the building blocks of Rock, Blues, and at times county.

Albums that are much more rock based with some variation,, but are rock based are ABB, Sticky Fingers, Dirty Work, Its only Rock n Roll.

Sure most have Country and Blues tunes but the majority are rock n roll type tunes without much experimentation.

When I, and others here say it is "basic" that mostly means without much experimentaion. ABB has hardly any experimentation. Maybe two different types of tunes or three but you know mostly Stones in the style we know and love. The majority are faster paced tunes with rock n roll chord progression. The production is simple, yet of quality and doesn't get in the way or over shadow the songs. There are not hardly any obtrusive production additives

This is what we mean. Atleast me.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
January 6th, 2006 07:40 PM
bostone i don't have the album, but i have heard most of the tracks on the rs sirius station. I don't think it's really a portrait of a band in their creative prime, but it does sound like a band that enjoys playing and writing together.
streets of love is really the standout track to me, most of the others are sort of cliche, trite rock tunes or attempts to recreate past compositional successes. "infamy" is a clunky out of touch rocker, and sweet neo con is just plain strange and forced to my ears...
When they are at their best on the new stuff, they aren't trying to be clever or make a statement, they are just rocking together (oh no not you again, rough justice).
Put me in the "i'm glad they can still write and rock, but I'm not about to buy a bigger bang" camp.
sorry if i am too opinionated.
January 6th, 2006 09:56 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
SSA:

The bulk of ABB are basic structered rock tunes. A handfull are not. Every single Stones album I have ever heard that was a studio release since the 1960's has had more than one type of musical style involved for Pete's sake.

Compare ABB to BTB and there is a huge difference in the type of album The Stones were going for on this album.

GHS was not a basic Rock Album. Black and Blue was not a basic Rock album. Undercover was not a basic rock album. Their Satanic Majesties request was certainly not a basic rock album. None have been all 100% rock n roll with nothing but a straight rock n roll tunes song after song after song. But They are the building blocks of Rock, Blues, and at times county.

Albums that are much more rock based with some variation,, but are rock based are ABB, Sticky Fingers, Dirty Work, Its only Rock n Roll.

Sure most have Country and Blues tunes but the majority are rock n roll type tunes without much experimentation.

When I, and others here say it is "basic" that mostly means without much experimentaion. ABB has hardly any experimentation. Maybe two different types of tunes or three but you know mostly Stones in the style we know and love. The majority are faster paced tunes with rock n roll chord progression. The production is simple, yet of quality and doesn't get in the way or over shadow the songs. There are not hardly any obtrusive production additives

This is what we mean. Atleast me.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]

I disagree on Sticky Fingers - Bitch is a groove tune with horns, i.e not just "rock". Can't You Hear Me Knocking coda, is certainly not "rock". I Got The Blues is a Stax rip -off, again , not rock. Sister Morphine - quite bluesy. Moonlight Mile - not rock, inc. Chinese guitar stylings.

speedy
January 6th, 2006 10:11 PM
IanBillen [quote]speedfreakjive wrote:

I disagree on Sticky Fingers - Bitch is a groove tune with horns, i.e not just "rock". Can't You Hear Me Knocking coda, is certainly not "rock". I Got The Blues is a Stax rip -off, again , not rock. Sister Morphine - quite bluesy. Moonlight Mile - not rock, inc. Chinese guitar stylings.

speedy

Sure, Sticky Fingers definately has splashes of different musical styles and techniques that are not always straight Rock n Roll. But it is no where near the stretch of say Emotional Resque, or Sweet Neocon, or Might as Well Get Juiced, or 2000 Light Years from Home, or Undercover of the Night. These songs stray much further out of bounds than any of the songs on Sticky Fingers. Basically throw in some Gospel and the very elements that make up 90% of The Rolling Stones sound is incorporated into the tunes on Sticky Fingers. The other songs I mention are not as close to home for the Stones as the tunes on SF.

Kinda goes like this for me:

Sticky Fingers, Exile=Core Stones and their building blocks
Undercover=Dance, experimental, pre-industrial Stones
Dirty Work=Straight up Rock Stones (well, very angry, high tension Rockin Stones)
BTB-Very Contemporary
Some Girls=Right on the mark
ABB=Simple, basic Hard Hitting Stones
Voodoo=Fun Spirited Rockin Stones
Tattoo You=Prolific Stones and a big sound.

Ian
January 6th, 2006 11:13 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Kinda goes like this for me:

Sticky Fingers, Exile=Core Stones and their building blocks
Undercover=Dance, experimental, pre-industrial Stones
Dirty Work=Straight up Rock Stones (well, very angry, high tension Rockin Stones)
BTB-Very Contemporary
Some Girls=Right on the mark
ABB=Simple, basic Hard Hitting Stones
Voodoo=Fun Spirited Rockin Stones
Tattoo You=Prolific Stones and a big sound.

Ian

oOW! is this Ian's top 10 Stones albums....err.... top 9....hmmm...wow...huh...wow...
January 7th, 2006 02:55 AM
IanBillen [quote]Bloozehound wrote:

oOW! is this Ian's top 10 Stones albums....err.... top 9....hmmm...wow...huh...wow...

No. It isn't any type of top ten list. It's simply what I get from the Stones and some of their albums from a musical stance. No Top Ten list whatsoever there. Tpp tired and busy for that right now.

Ian
January 7th, 2006 05:24 AM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
So since I'm not a cocksucking sycophant I'm a non-fan?

Whatever dude. Ask yer pal Gazza if I'm a non-fan.

Why the flying fuck should I ask Gaz if you're a fan. Can't you stand up for yourself? I'll tell you what: YOU ask Gaz if I'M not a fan.

And who told you that you were a cocksucking sycophant? I mean it seems to be true, but you said it, I didn't.
I bet you only have Exile in your collection and a ton of Exile outtakes. That's what I call a wanker-fan. So you like sitting in the dark, listening to Exile outtakes only and think: "Oh I'm such a big fan"? Wanker.
January 7th, 2006 05:51 AM
Navin
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Ian

Thank you for your very kind (and true words) supporting Dirty Work !!

I'm still looking for the 12" single version of "One Hit (To The Body)" .... someone mentioned in another site that it is an extended version with extra guitar!!
January 7th, 2006 11:41 AM
Sir Stonesalot >I bet you only have Exile in your collection and a ton of Exile outtakes.<

What is your wager? I'd rather it not be a night with your boyfriend.

Put your money where your mouth is...on second thought don't do that. The mental image that I get of you stuffing ten pound notes up your fat ass is too disturbing. So instead of that, walk it like you talk it.....ahhhhhh, no don't do that either. The thought of you flouncing around as a bovine nancyboy is equally disturbing.

Just make a bet fucknut.

>And who told you that you were a cocksucking sycophant? <

Actually, I was talking about you...JumpingJackOffFucknut.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
January 7th, 2006 12:01 PM
IanBillen
We ALL have to be fans in one way shape or form. We are all here right?
We are all just different types.

Ian
January 7th, 2006 12:49 PM
gypsy
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

We ALL have to be fans in one way shape or form. We are all here right?
We are all just different types.

Ian

You're a brilliant man, Ian. Keep up the excellent work. I agree with approximately 99% of your album/song reviews. Stay strong, and don't let SS bully you. He's mean to me too.
January 7th, 2006 01:06 PM
Sir Stonesalot >The bulk of ABB are basic structered rock tunes.<

WTF are you talking about? Basic structured rock tunes?

OK, then you can also call them basic structured pop tunes, or basic structured whatever. Verse-chorus-verse is a basic song structure. It is not exclusive to just rock n roll.

>Every single Stones album I have ever heard that was a studio release since the 1960's has had more than one type of musical style involved for Pete's sake.<

I agree. And that is why the Rolling Stones are FAR more than a basic rock band. It's also why I would say that the Rolling Stones have never put out a "basic" rock n roll album. Stones albums are not one dimensional that way. Stones albums are like Ellis Island...great cultural melting pots. ABB is no different...except that this time they chose INXS as an influence, along with the usual suspects.

>ABB has hardly any experimentation.<

Really? You ever heard the Stones do anything like LIND? Or even Rain Fall Down? You ever heard a guitar sound from the Stones like the one on Infamy? Ever heard Jagger play slide? Ever heard the Stones sound like INXS? Dude, there is experimentation all over place on ABB. The problem is that most of the experiments didn't quite work. I think if they hadn't rushed the album out, and worked on some of those ideas a bit more, it would have been a much more interesting album. As it is you have an album that doesn't really sound finished. Too bad.

>The majority are faster paced tunes with rock n roll chord progression.<

OK. That's fine. I happen to think that most of the songs are LACKING pace. They just kinda slog along. IWTL, SSMC, neocon, DB, DTF, Infamy...all would have been better(IMO) if the tempo had been increased. And I don't really give a shit about chord progression. I'm more interested in what kind of bite the riff has. Does the groove make me want to shake my ass...that kind of thing. In my opinion, especially with the Stones, it's all about HOW the song is played. The attitude...the BALLS. For me this is the single most important thing. It can't be rock n roll if it lacks balls. And unfortunately, for me, ABB is a eunuch.

But like I said before, I think we are simply speaking two entirely different languages. I look at things from a purely emotional/visceral point of view. You look at things from a technical perspective. A perfect example is your constant defense of Bon Jovi. I'm sure that they can all play well from a technical stand poind. But I've never ever given a flying fuck about technical proficiency. I think both Johnny Ramone and Joe Strummer were fantastic players. Yeah, there are lots of knuckleheads out there that can play technical rings around them...but Joe and Johnny will kick their asses when it comes to playing with heart and soul. And in the end, I ALWAYS find heart and soul...BALLS...to be vastly more important.

To each his own I guess.
January 7th, 2006 01:10 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
pdog wrote:

alot of the new music I listen too, is old music I'm just discovering! I'll be the first to admit, I don't know it all... and i'm not emberassed when something old is new to me... It's the only way i can remain open minded. It alloows me to discover stuff I like, or otherwise I limit myself so much, that to say I love music would be a lie.
To truly say you love rock and roll, deep down inside, I havve to accept that no matter how much I dislike certain bands, they may also be people who love it too. Otherwise, for me, I would be lying if I said I love rock and roll. I would be placing too many conditions on it, and be close minded to music outside of my fav. loud, three chord sound. It's not a bad thing to understand what's behind the music I don't like too. That way I can understand what i like so much more, and take the music past my ear drums and let if fill my soul... I don't listen to music only for the way it sounds, I listen to it for the way it makes me feel. The same way a person sips a drink or smokes a joint. I'm in it for the power it has to change my feeling and perspectives. So, naturally to take that power fully in I must also explore the tthings in music that make me ill. Like The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac and Journey. I konw I truly dislike their music, and I know why...
I know why I hate Bon Jovi...
Their music makes me Ill, as do Ians posts...
Yada Yada Yada!!!
Bing Pow...Zing...Pow!

I see what you mean. I'm only 22, and there's a hell of a lot of old stuff I haven't heard yet. Like some of the bands in you're previous post, I've just downloaded them,i've got no idea whether I'll like it, but you have to experiment right? But I disagree that you should try to like music you KNOW you don't like cos you've heard it before, just because they might be in to the Stones or whatever you think is good. Thats just being too hard on yourself IMHO.

BTW, I think the Eagles are OK, a bit MOR, but ok. No more than one listen per year though! hehe

Speedy
January 7th, 2006 01:15 PM
Sir Stonesalot Gypsy, you have one very mean spanking coming on the 20th.

Ya lil' minx.
January 7th, 2006 08:46 PM
IanBillen SSA: Really? You ever heard the Stones do anything like LIND?

Fuck yeah I have. So has everyone eles and their brother. Geeze it fits right in with Tatoo You B side for just one prime example.

SSA: Or even Rain Fall Down?

Uhhhhh....yeah SSA. Rain Fall down is perfectly from Undercover.

It is not a question of experimentation. The Stones have always incorporated slide guitar to their music. That is not an experimentation. Now, it is improvisation. Mick did it that time instead of Ronnie. But experiment....it is not.

SSA: Ever heard the Stones sound like INXS?

They really just tightened up a riff from a few of the songs I have already heard from them. Soul Survivor puts me to mind of that. Again, Look What The Cat Dragged in....No big musical turn from anything they haven't done before

SSA: Dude, there is experimentation all over place on ABB.

Not really, SSA. I don't think many would agree that ABB has alot of experimentation. There is maybe less experimentation on ABB than any other Stones album since....Dirty Work. We obviously see things completely different. The only experimentation I hear on ABB are three songs out of 16.

1.Sweet NeoCon
2.Infamy
3. I guess Streets of Love a little.

As far as balls go. I posted along time ago that ABB IMO has more balls than anything they have done in a long long time. That is the very reason I like it so much is because it has balls where as Bridges, and Voodoo, and Steel Wheels, were not as hard driving and ballsy. Dangerous Beauty is just one example of a Stones tune with definate balls.

And I certainly do not think it chugs along in a sluggish manner as you suggest. ABB is much faster than BTB, Voodoo, Even Steel Wheels really.

I guess we just see don't see ABB as anything similar. (well sometimes I think you just like to bitch...but hey). So what albums have you liked in the past 20 years The Stones have done?

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
January 8th, 2006 01:35 AM
Sir Stonesalot >So what albums have you liked in the past 20 years The Stones have done?<

I like Undercover well enough. But I guess that was 22 years ago and doesn't count? It isn't great, not really even good for a Stones album...but it's OK, and I listen to it every now and again.

I really like Dirty Work, although there are a couple cringe inducing moments on it. But for me the high points on that one far outweigh the low points. Talk about a nasty, mean, balls out rock n roll guitarfest. And yes, I kinda like Harlem Shuffle. I have an unplayed vinyl copy, still in the red shrink wrap. I'll play it on March 26 2006...the 20th anniversary of it's release.

Not crazy about Steel Wheels, although Continental Drift is pretty interesting. Talk about experimentation! The rest is pretty bland though. I don't think I've played this one in the last 10 years. Dud.

Voodoo Lounge suffers from the same lack of editing as ABB does. Would have been a really top notch 8-10 song album. But as is it's too packed with filler for me. I get bored before I get to side 3. But it does have Love Is Strong, which I like a lot. But for the most part, I think this one is a dud too. Sharks will cry. Yikes.

B2B I really like. Again, it has some cringe inducing moments, much like Dirty Work. But also like Dirty Work, the best songs are so good that they pull the rest of the album up. Out of Control is one of the best songs that they released since Some Girls. I like Saint of Me quite a bit too. Both really translated great on stage as well. I thought You Don't Have To Mean It was nifty too.

I think ABB compares most closely to Voodoo Lounge. And I'm not crazy about Voodoo Lounge. So woe is me, I guess.

Now for this mess...

>SSA: Really? You ever heard the Stones do anything like LIND?

Fuck yeah I have. So has everyone eles and their brother. Geeze it fits right in with Tatoo You B side for just one prime example.

SSA: Or even Rain Fall Down?

Uhhhhh....yeah SSA. Rain Fall down is perfectly from Undercover.

It is not a question of experimentation. The Stones have always incorporated slide guitar to their music. That is not an experimentation. Now, it is improvisation. Mick did it that time instead of Ronnie. But experiment....it is not.

SSA: Ever heard the Stones sound like INXS?

They really just tightened up a riff from a few of the songs I have already heard from them. Soul Survivor puts me to mind of that. Again, Look What The Cat Dragged in....No big musical turn from anything they haven't done before

SSA: Dude, there is experimentation all over place on ABB.

Not really, SSA. I don't think many would agree that ABB has alot of experimentation. There is maybe less experimentation on ABB than any other Stones album since....Dirty Work. We obviously see things completely different. The only experimentation I hear on ABB are three songs out of 16.

1.Sweet NeoCon
2.Infamy
3. I guess Streets of Love a little.

As far as balls go. I posted along time ago that ABB IMO has more balls than anything they have done in a long long time. That is the very reason I like it so much is because it has balls where as Bridges, and Voodoo, and Steel Wheels, were not as hard driving and ballsy. Dangerous Beauty is just one example of a Stones tune with definate balls.

And I certainly do not think it chugs along in a sluggish manner as you suggest. ABB is much faster than BTB, Voodoo, Even Steel Wheels really.<

At this point I gotta know....is this all a put on Ian? Are you for real, or is this like some sort of act? Because if it is, you got me good. If it isn't, then I gotta say, you are one of the strangest people I've ever encountered on one of these message board thingys. I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way. But to be honest with you...I don't even know what to say to the things you posted in that quote above. I mean, if that's what you really think...well OK. It's just so far off the wall that I can't even respond. So whatever you say Ian, good job, you've left me speechless. And that ain't an easy thing to do.

January 8th, 2006 01:55 AM
IanBillen At this point I gotta know....is this all a put on Ian? Are you for real, or is this like some sort of act? Because if it is, you got me good. If it isn't, then I gotta say, you are one of the strangest people I've ever encountered on one of these message board thingys. I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way. But to be honest with you...I don't even know what to say to the things you posted in that quote above. I mean, if that's what you really think...well OK. It's just so far off the wall that I can't even respond. So whatever you say Ian, good job, you've left me speechless. And that ain't an easy thing to do.

Yeah, I am serious. Only thing is I may of left out that most of LIND sounds like a Tattoo You ordeal. However the Chant in the choras isn't really Tattoo You. But the music, melody, surely is. Seems like Heaven meets No Use in Crying to me. Love the song though. Best Jagger Vox in who knows how long....well that and your Love is Strong. Undercover is a good album. Now that was an experimental album. I think ABB is a very basic Stones rock album
and doesn't stray too far from that base at all. I am just explaining what I feel. But SSA, almost anyone here will tell you there is hardly no real experimentation on ABB and it is a very straight forward album.

Ian
January 8th, 2006 03:16 AM
ResidentMule as far as experimentation, I gotta say ABB sounds almost as much like the parade of previously tread territory as the obvious nostalgia trip of Don't Stop

Rough Justice draws as much from Brown Sugar as it possibly could without being a complete rip off. in this case I'd say it was quite the success. anyway, that one was easy

Let Me Down Slow - first thing that comes to mind is it would fit well on Voodoo Lounge - which would pretty much make it a rehash of something else as that record tried as hard to sound like classic Stones as this one, this being one of Ronnie's more shining moments in quite a while I'm gonna try to keep it within his era (though VL succeeded much more in balancing it out with new stuff, IMO - in the past year I've FINALLY gotten to really like Voodoo Lounge aside from a few songs that either sound off of the rest of the albums direction or do nothing to further that direction)

It Won't Take Long. Low Down. I've said plenty

Rain Fall Down - I think Ian hit the nail on the head with Undercover. or just about any other time the Stones have tried to be funky in the last 20 years

Streets Of Love. I don't remember a Stones song like this since Keys To Your Love

Back of My Hand = You Gotta Move. I think few would argue. As for Jagger getting his slide on, that's more of an experimentation with the band's lineup than the song itself. still kinda cool of them to vary it up like that, so I'll still give it half a point for the slide thing.

She Saw Me Coming - sounds like they've really been waiting a long time to put out a studio version of Crackin Up. and look, Mick & Keith managed to get the writing credit this time. neat.

Biggest Mistake - I haven't heard a Stones song like this since Streets of Love

This Place Is Empty. not exactly Keith's most original here - but I gotta say Mick playing slide on here makes it one of the most experimental moments on here. not so much that its Mick, but that part really sounds like it would be played by a viola or something.

Oh No Not You Again. Stones trying to be Stones. only experimentation here is seeing how bad lyrics Mick could come up with

Dangerous Beauty. head to head with Rough Justice for most classic Stones sounding song

Laugh, I Nearly Died. I actually thought of Steel Wheels (AHYS) first, but Tattoo You side B works too. the 'chants' sound more like Steel Wheels though - along the lines of Continental Drift. by the way, Sir Stonesalot, I won't expect you to try to hard to bend to my logic as this is where we obviouly have different ways of looking at thing - I love Steel Wheels and think Drift is the worst track on there. that's all different strokes though, I'm not gonna say its a terrible song or anything I just don't care for it.

Neocon. there's your experimentation. I've never heard a song like this before. and I wish I could still say the same

Look What The Cat Dragged In. just about everything in this song sounds really un-Keith. does sound similary to INXS, but this is the song that most impressed me as far as what the Stones proved they could pull off on ABB

Driving To Fast. not bad for being the safest song on the record, but there you go - anything but experimental.

Infamy is easily the toughest one. since we get so few Keef tracks as opposed to Mick's, so no two of them better sound the same. and this is one of those KR songs I can't imagine with Mick on vocals instead. I'd say it kinda reminds me of Big Enough from Talk Is Cheap. now granted the effects there are coming from Bootsy and not Keith, but if I had to trace where Infamy comes from, I'd say Talk Is Cheap. still, I might be pushing it a bit with this one - I'll give it credit for being possibly the most interesting song on the album

ABB's got its moments of experimenting, but not what I'd call 'all over the place'. I don't see how you could call it an experimental record and simultaneously say its the Stones trying to sound like the Stones. as for calling it a basic rock record, I'd say its not, leaning towards SSA's definition as it teases you with funk, country, etc. but in terms of trying to give every song a typical, straight-forward rock n roll hook, which I'm going to assume is what Ian means when referring to the structure (structure meaning something other than the verse-chorus-verse thing), it does do that

Now if we're only using the other Stones albums as comparisons, yeah - I think this i just about the most basic, non experimental thing they've come up with since they started writing their own songs

as for the whole balls vs brains thing, I'm not gonna get too into it now, but I just want to point out those two aren't mutually exclusive. Dividing musicians up as Joe Strummer being a play-by-heart musician and Jimmy Page or Al DiMeola were purely technical virtuosos is really an oversimplification. just listening to Page you can tell he's too sloppy to really believe he just sat in his room practicing scales all day. his solos weren't so much about showing off as they were expressions of his personality (cluttered up with a lot of bullshitting). but he did have just about as much balls as anyone you could name. and Strummer came up with some really original stuff that I'm sure required just as much thought-process as it did passion. I won't discredit his skill just because he didn't have the most muscles and callouses in his fingers. what he did was a skill too regardless of whether he learned it from someone or taught himself.
January 8th, 2006 03:27 AM
IanBillen [quote]Navin wrote:

Thank you for your very kind (and true words) supporting Dirty Work !!

I'm still looking for the 12" single version of "One Hit (To The Body)" .... someone mentioned in another site that it is an extended version with extra guitar!!

Well you're welcome. But please do not take me wrong in this instance.

I think DW is an angry, high tensioned, guitar driven record with that tension so high you could cut it with a knife. It is very angry and you can feel the tension in the band on Every Single Track. Especially the tension between Mick and Keith.

It is what is is. An angry, hot, sounding album.

Now the problem with this is the creativity, the song writing is a little sub-par on some tracks for a Stones album, and the soul that is included with a really good Stones release was absent. This is where DW comes up short and is why it is often seen as a dissapoitment.

Ian
January 8th, 2006 05:55 AM
Navin
Dirty Work...for many of us, self included - it was the first Stones album that we discovered and stayed with (or for many others, strongly avioded)...can't say much - I was 15 years of age, too young maybe, and it did sound like what life was all about ("let's blow this place to kingdom come - let Con Edision take the blame!!" vibe)..and it still holds up great...discovered the lyrics later - "splatter matter on the bloody ceiling, blow the building right into the air" is probably my favourite!!

When Voodoo Lounge came out, it proved that the Stones were still capable of creating another masterpeice, after all, and one in a different style...many have termed it the "album that no-one expected the Stones to make" - exactly why this sentence rings so universally true is hard to understand - but yes, these things mean many things to many different people with different appetites.

The blood is still boiling, Keef is still walking, Mick is still barking, Ron is still sliding, Watts is still shining, ....and we are still looking for the ultimate Stones - the many variations that "Brown Sugar"/"Bitch"/"Let it Rock" promised to take on, and still does!!

January 8th, 2006 07:11 AM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>I bet you only have Exile in your collection and a ton of Exile outtakes.<

What is your wager? I'd rather it not be a night with your boyfriend.

Put your money where your mouth is...on second thought don't do that. The mental image that I get of you stuffing ten pound notes up your fat ass is too disturbing. So instead of that, walk it like you talk it.....ahhhhhh, no don't do that either. The thought of you flouncing around as a bovine nancyboy is equally disturbing.

Just make a bet fucknut.

>And who told you that you were a cocksucking sycophant? <

Actually, I was talking about you...JumpingJackOffFucknut.

I must admit I like that you can retort the hard way.
January 8th, 2006 10:30 AM
wgwalsh Mr. Ian:

HARLEM SHUFFLE from DW has got some soul and R&B. It's a great remake cover from 1964, which is a little before your day, but still worth noting. The 12 inch remix of HARLEM SHUFFLE is also worth mentioning, because it also incorporates some harder rock riffs that add another dimension and length to an already great track. Play the DW version cranked all the way up and you too will be shaking a tailfeather baby.

wgw
January 8th, 2006 10:56 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Navin wrote:

Dirty Work...for many of us, self included - it was the first Stones album that we discovered and stayed with (or for many others, strongly avioded)...can't say much - I was 15 years of age, too young maybe, and it did sound like what life was all about ("let's blow this place to kingdom come - let Con Edision take the blame!!" vibe)..and it still holds up great...discovered the lyrics later - "splatter matter on the bloody ceiling, blow the building right into the air" is probably my favourite!!

When Voodoo Lounge came out, it proved that the Stones were still capable of creating another masterpeice, after all, and one in a different style...many have termed it the "album that no-one expected the Stones to make" - exactly why this sentence rings so universally true is hard to understand - but yes, these things mean many things to many different people with different appetites.

The blood is still boiling, Keef is still walking, Mick is still barking, Ron is still sliding, Watts is still shining, ....and we are still looking for the ultimate Stones - the many variations that "Brown Sugar"/"Bitch"/"Let it Rock" promised to take on, and still does!!

Dirty Work is one the worst rock albums ever made. A disgrace.
Voodoo Lounge is a very mediocre album with a few highlights but much better than DW.
A Bigger Bang is by far the best of the post golden era of the Stones.
January 8th, 2006 03:35 PM
gypsy It's IanFuckin'Billen, people! His posts are pure genius.
January 9th, 2006 01:37 AM
glencar LOL He's a MOron!
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)