ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

© Jill Furmanovsky
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ABB is a "basic" album, which makes it to the point....From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 5th, 2006 11:06 AM
glencar Joshy, at this point there's lil chance of a hit single. I like the music & the songs finally gel. I agree that Biggest Mistake is kinda dull but I like most of the rest of it. Let Me Down Slow & that 1st Keef ballad also bore me.
January 5th, 2006 11:09 AM
Jumacfly IMHO most of the songs are correct but miss good arrangements and a good producer...
January 5th, 2006 11:10 AM
gimmekeef First few listens I liked it...new Stones always gets the adrenaline goin...but it has no legs...Havenet played it in weeks....Plus their live versions has not taken any song to a new level like they used to do with Rambler etc.
January 5th, 2006 11:18 AM
pdog
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

You probably do have better taste than him... but you could prove it a bit better by hyping a better band than the STROKES of all people (predictable choice for every faux-purist to praise).
Also, in this day and age, it's a lot easier (and more socially acceptable) to write off the Stones, than to dare to praise them, like Ian does.

I didn't hype The Strokes, they were mentioned and I was asked if I thought the new record was good. It's only one of about a dozen CD's purchased recently.
I'm not sure of you're defending Ian, but homeboy has me all figured out. I bet he knows exactly what I day is like in my home, and what music is one our playlists... The amount of conjecture on his part is proff of his ignorance, his head is up his ass.
I'm not hyping bands, not at all, not here. There's a handful of people who like the same shit I do, and we don't hope, we recomend. And I don't do it alot b/c I don't have the time to review and recomend music right now. Wwe get too many idiots who are always yapping about how rock and roll bands today suck and how rap is a dying fad. The people making this close minded statements don't know jack about rock history or bother to spend money on CD's like me and others. Why bother talking about rock with them. They all come off like Ian and think I buy a CD, play it for a week and move on. It's just wrong... Let him be conviced he's right. I don't need to be right, I'm happy. So he listens to crap and is right, I listen to tons of cool music and I'm happy. Which sounds better?
January 5th, 2006 11:57 AM
Ihavelotsajam I'm not defending Ian's musical taste, just saying that these days it seems to take balls to praise a new Stones album, even on a Stones FAN site.
Other than that, I'm sure I'm far closer in musical taste to you than to him.
January 5th, 2006 12:15 PM
pdog
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
I'm not defending Ian's musical taste, just saying that these days it seems to take balls to praise a new Stones album, even on a Stones FAN site.
Other than that, I'm sure I'm far closer in musical taste to you than to him.

I don't remember saying that I didn't like the new album... I was much more into it at first, and didn't share the immeadiate dislike that some had... I also haven't listened to it much since late October...
Ian doesn't have musical taste. Ignorance, judgement and from what it looks like doesn't spend much money. I would gather he shops at Best Buy and target for his CD's... He will have taste IMO, when his head is pulled from his ass, BUT!!! I have no expectations that will happen.
January 5th, 2006 12:43 PM
IanBillen
Pdog,

My "head isn't so far up my ass" as you say that I will not listen to a new group, or check something out and give it a chance. The groups I have been looking for, and/or to purchase are The Rainy Day Saints and The Eels.

The difference between you and I is I won't be telling everyone they are the best thing since sliced bread. Very, very few bands get that kind of notoriety from me. Only probably three or four within the past eight years.

Another difference is I will still rave about these groups ten years later. I am not so focused on the next cool thing that all the previous talent I listened to is out the window.

And as for me, I know whether I like a group or album usually as soon as I hear it. Some albums take time to grow on me but I KNOW whether it has any substance upon the first listen.

Pdog, here it is less than six months after A Bigger Bangs release and you are already tired of the album and feel it isn't that good....although when it came out you said the opposite.

Listen to yourself. And I took your advice, now listen to mine. Good music is good music whether it is 10 days old or 200 years old. If you are going to make judgemnt calls and it takes you five or six months to decide whether an album is any good or not, wait five or six months to tell your opinion or eles it seems as if your opinion is only for that specific time period. I don't know whether yours is, or isn't. I do not know you personally. I am stating it certainly points to it. Waiting a while to state an opinion, may be a better route for you. Lord knows it is subject to change as time goes on.

Ian
January 5th, 2006 12:53 PM
speedfreakjive Ian, I don't think Pdog is saying he is gonna jump on trend bandwagons and listen to the "next big thing". He is just saying that you have to listen to new music, because thats where the future of music is!
January 5th, 2006 01:46 PM
pdog
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Pdog, here it is less than six months after A Bigger Bangs release and you are already tired of the album and feel it isn't that good....although when it came out you said the opposite.

Ian

I only said I'm not lsitening to it much anymore, that's it. I also said, when it came out I was incredibly excited, and that excitemnt also translates to a certain amount of blind acceptance... You're not only misquoting and saying things I've not said, you're also casting an incredible amount of conjecture on what, who, how much and how often I listen to music...
Sadly you're incredibly wrong. The most listened to stuff in my house today is, Talking heads and Springsteen, followed by the 3 recent Ryan Adams albums... There's alot of other stuff, and 90% of it is more than 10 years old.
you can keep proclaiming you know how I live, yet the only things I'm saying about you are what you've posted here, no conjecture about your habits...
You're extremely ignorant and closed minded in regards to music. You've got tons of posts that back that statement up. Your knowledge is very limited about musical history, yet so is mine, yet I don't claim my ignorant opinions as facts, like you do.
The way you keep characterizing my listening habits is incoorect, and it is proof to me that, not only are you musically ignorant and stubborn, but you're also like that in other areas of your life, primarily in communication and discusions where people diagree and offer their opinions to you. BUT!!! I'll admit that that in conjecture on my part, and I'm not stating my charecterization of you as a fact... So, my head remains as far away from my ass as posssible, while I just saw your shoulders enter you anal cavity... Good luck with that!
January 5th, 2006 01:53 PM
pdog
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
Ian, I don't think Pdog is saying he is gonna jump on trend bandwagons and listen to the "next big thing". He is just saying that you have to listen to new music, because thats where the future of music is!

alot of the new music I listen too, is old music I'm just discovering! I'll be the first to admit, I don't know it all... and i'm not emberassed when something old is new to me... It's the only way i can remain open minded. It alloows me to discover stuff I like, or otherwise I limit myself so much, that to say I love music would be a lie.
To truly say you love rock and roll, deep down inside, I havve to accept that no matter how much I dislike certain bands, they may also be people who love it too. Otherwise, for me, I would be lying if I said I love rock and roll. I would be placing too many conditions on it, and be close minded to music outside of my fav. loud, three chord sound. It's not a bad thing to understand what's behind the music I don't like too. That way I can understand what i like so much more, and take the music past my ear drums and let if fill my soul... I don't listen to music only for the way it sounds, I listen to it for the way it makes me feel. The same way a person sips a drink or smokes a joint. I'm in it for the power it has to change my feeling and perspectives. So, naturally to take that power fully in I must also explore the tthings in music that make me ill. Like The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac and Journey. I konw I truly dislike their music, and I know why...
I know why I hate Bon Jovi...
Their music makes me Ill, as do Ians posts...
Yada Yada Yada!!!
Bing Pow...Zing...Pow!
January 5th, 2006 04:53 PM
Some Guy I'm just not that into it.
January 5th, 2006 05:19 PM
Sir Stonesalot I understand why people would like A Bigger Bang. And it is very cool that there are people here who enjoy the album so much. I like it when people like stuff. I have no problemo with the liking and enjoyment of ABB. In fact, I'm happy for those folks who like and enjoy it.

The onliest thing I have a problem with is with the mischaracterizations used in conjunction with ABB. Like saying that A Bigger Bang is a "basics" rock n roll record. It's not. It's not even a rock n roll record. The Detroit Cobras' "Baby" is a "basics" rock n roll record. The Reigning Sound's "Too Much Guitar" and "Timebomb High School" are "basics" rock n roll records. The Cynics' "Living is the Best Revenge" is a "basics" rock n roll album. A Bigger Bang is not, and it's not even close.

Yes yes, I know, Stones Inc. hyped ABB as "back to basics", and "raw". I think I even read some "quotes" from the band saying the same...but anyone who knows what "basics" rock n roll is, could, with one listen, tell you that ABB is NOT that. It is that plain and obvious.

I know why the Stones and Stones Inc. would say it...it sounds really good! But just because they said it, does not mean that it is true. It's just marketing. They wanna move units.

Now, if you have listened to ABB and really honestly think that this is a "basics" rock n roll record...well, you either don't know what "basics" rock n roll is to begin with...or, your idea of what "basics" rock and roll is supposed to be is just so completely different from mine that we are speaking two different languages.

But whatever. I hope you all keep having fun listening to ABB.
January 5th, 2006 05:33 PM
speedfreakjive Agreed. But I think Driving Too Fast is a "basic" rock 'n' roll tune.
January 5th, 2006 05:44 PM
pdog Those are some good albums mentioned there SS... I own every one of them...
I'm going to listen to My new Johnnny Cash box set.
January 5th, 2006 06:24 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I own every one of them<

OK, then you see what I'm saying? I mean, I know that YOU know what I'm talking about Pdog...I'm just not so sure other folks will get it.

>But I think Driving Too Fast is a "basic" rock 'n' roll tune<

That's cool. I don't see it that way, but that's no hangin' matter. Driving Too Fast, to me, sounds like the Stones pretending to be the Stones. It sounds like they are trying to play like they think people think they should play. It sounds contrived, not really natural and flowing. And...most important when talking about "basics" rock n roll...DTF lacks balls.
January 5th, 2006 07:59 PM
pdog
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

You probably do have better taste than him... but you could prove it a bit better by hyping a better band than the STROKES of all people (predictable choice for every faux-purist to praise).
Also, in this day and age, it's a lot easier (and more socially acceptable) to write off the Stones, than to dare to praise them, like Ian does.

The Strokes and Ryan Adams 29 are the only two new releases I recently purchased. Everything else I brought was new remasters ect...
[Edited by pdog]
January 6th, 2006 05:03 AM
IanBillen
Pdog Wote:

"Ian doesn't have musical taste. Ignorance, judgement and from what it looks like doesn't spend much money. I would gather he shops at Best Buy and target for his CD's... He will have taste IMO, when his head is pulled from his ass, BUT!!! I have no expectations that will happen."

Pdog,
Brother. I shop at both Best Buy, AND a kind of underground music shop just outside of campus at Arizona State. They carry all kinds of things from obscure, to indie, to the major lable releases, and back to local artists.

Pdog
You keep making reference that I do not open my mind to new music, that I am closed minded, and have "my head up my ass" when it comes to what is going on that is good on the music scene today.....Bro. I am enrolled at a school that is specifically for audio engineering. Most kids that go there are in the 20-23 year age group. I have class five days a week, and in certain cycles, on Saturdays as well. We record, and mix all friggin kinds of music. I am exposed to music of all different types all the time. Why you keep thinking I am sheltered is beyond me.

So why you keep thinking I am musically sheltered is beyond me. Sure I may not know of every group, from here to the UK but I listen to artists from indie rock, pop, hip-hop, country, world...etc. etc.....everything.

Because I am not impressed with most of it does not mean I do not listen, or get exposed to it. Alot of the bands or artists I hear there, and at parties, and at my apartment complex I do not even ask who they are....why? Because they are not worth it most of the time. Sometimes I may for the hell of it. But I ASSURE you, music is like the biggest part of my life right now. I wouldn't of spent thousands of dollars, gave up my job (not to be self absorbing but incidentally it paid quite well),
moved thousands of miles across the country to go to an audio engineering school if It weren't, or if I was totaly confined and content with only the music I was being exposed to in Ohio.

Ian
January 6th, 2006 05:29 AM
Jumacfly Jagger 's voice is sometimes too mannered on ABB...that s not very Rock n roll...
[Edited by my mother the whale]
[Edited by Jumacfly]
January 6th, 2006 06:14 AM
blackandblue You can tell me what you want but ABB is a basic rock 'n roll album with some country, funk and blues. Neither more nor less. Thier best effort since TY.
January 6th, 2006 06:17 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
You can tell me what you want but ABB is a basic rock 'n roll album with some country, funk and blues. Neither more nor less. Thier best effort since TY.

I prefer Emotionnal Rescue but we re still mates!
January 6th, 2006 06:25 AM
blackandblue
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

I prefer Emotionnal Rescue but we re still mates!

You put our friendship to the test!
January 6th, 2006 06:33 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
blackandblue wrote:

You put our friendship to the test!

LOL
Hey I haven t talk about Goddess yet!
January 6th, 2006 07:58 AM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I understand why people would like A Bigger Bang. And it is very cool that there are people here who enjoy the album so much. I like it when people like stuff. I have no problemo with the liking and enjoyment of ABB. In fact, I'm happy for those folks who like and enjoy it.

The onliest thing I have a problem with is with the mischaracterizations used in conjunction with ABB. Like saying that A Bigger Bang is a "basics" rock n roll record. It's not. It's not even a rock n roll record. The Detroit Cobras' "Baby" is a "basics" rock n roll record. The Reigning Sound's "Too Much Guitar" and "Timebomb High School" are "basics" rock n roll records. The Cynics' "Living is the Best Revenge" is a "basics" rock n roll album. A Bigger Bang is not, and it's not even close.

Yes yes, I know, Stones Inc. hyped ABB as "back to basics", and "raw". I think I even read some "quotes" from the band saying the same...but anyone who knows what "basics" rock n roll is, could, with one listen, tell you that ABB is NOT that. It is that plain and obvious.

I know why the Stones and Stones Inc. would say it...it sounds really good! But just because they said it, does not mean that it is true. It's just marketing. They wanna move units.

Now, if you have listened to ABB and really honestly think that this is a "basics" rock n roll record...well, you either don't know what "basics" rock n roll is to begin with...or, your idea of what "basics" rock and roll is supposed to be is just so completely different from mine that we are speaking two different languages.

But whatever. I hope you all keep having fun listening to ABB.

Now how is it that you people say on this site??? Oh yeah:
SIR STONESALOT SHALL NOT BE GREETED!!!!!

What a non-fan. Change your name to Sir Stonesabit please.
January 6th, 2006 08:11 AM
blackandblue Or Sir Moanalot
[Edited by blackandblue]
January 6th, 2006 10:15 AM
gimmekeef Always find it so amusing that something so personal as "musical taste"....can get peoples dander up and start long rants....Who can define what is good?..or basic for that matter??....
January 6th, 2006 10:28 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Always find it so amusing that something so personal as "musical taste"....can get peoples dander up and start long rants....Who can define what is good?..or basic for that matter??....

more than true!
January 6th, 2006 11:34 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
Or Sir Moanalot
[Edited by blackandblue]

touche!
January 6th, 2006 12:34 PM
glencar I agree with gimmekeef & Ju. This is all about taste & opinion. It's hard to argue facts in this sort of thread. Although IanBillen is kinda dumb, that's an opinion that is fact-based!
January 6th, 2006 02:11 PM
IanBillen [quote]glencar wrote:
I agree with gimmekeef & Ju. This is all about taste & opinion. It's hard to argue facts in this sort of thread. Although IanBillen is kinda dumb, that's an opinion that is fact-based!

I know Glencar. How dumb I am for not seeing it exactly as you or having a difference of opinion.

Ian
January 6th, 2006 04:29 PM
Sir Stonesalot >What a non-fan. Change your name to Sir Stonesabit please.<

So since I'm not a cocksucking sycophant I'm a non-fan?

Whatever dude. Ask yer pal Gazza if I'm a non-fan.

>ABB is a basic rock 'n roll album with some country, funk and blues.<

How can ABB be a basic rock n roll album if it has country, funk, and blues(not to mention adult contemporary ballads and pop songs.)? If it has all that other stuff, then it isn't a basic rock n roll record. Basic rock and roll records are all rock n roll...nothing else...just rock n roll. That is what makes them "basics" rock n roll records. Duh.

>Who can define what is good?<

I can. You can. Everyone can. You just have to have the balls to do it....and the balls to stick to it.

>..or basic for that matter??<

See above.

Did I not say in my post that some of you may have a very different definition from mine? Lemme look....oh yeah, here it is:

>your idea of what "basics" rock and roll is supposed to be is just so completely different from mine that we are speaking two different languages.<

Gee, how arrogant and offensive of me. It's really rude to admit that people may have differing opinions than mine.

I still don't see why some of you get yer panties all in a twist over what I say. I have never ONCE attacked anyone's musical taste. In fact, I go out of my way to preface my posts with the contrary. I don't give a flying fuck what anyone else likes or enjoys. That means shit to me. And you know what, I don't really care if you want to go around mischaracterizing stuff either. It's not my problem if you make yourself look like a fuckwit.

What the fuck is the matter with you people? Is it impossible for you to have a simple discussion about this topic without it degenerating into..."OOOO, yer such a arrogant non-fan because you don't like the new album." If you have an opinion as to WHY ABB is a "basics" rock n roll record then I'll be more than happy to listen to it with an open mind. Yeah, I may end up saying that yer full of shit...but so what? Since when do we all have to agree on everything. You can tell me I'm full of shit...I'm a big boy, I can deal with it. So go ahead, tell me I'm full of shit and ABB is a "basic" rock n roll record, and then BACK IT UP with some sort of reasoning.

Opinions are like assholes...everyone's got one. But if you expect other people to respect your's, then you gotta back it up with some sort of logical thought process. If someone questions your reasoning, don't get defensive...just explain yourself. And if they don't like it...so what? Some dude/dudette that you don't know disagrees? Big fuckin' deal.

So from here on out, anyone who wishes to discuss this original topic further, I'd be happy to listen to your thoughts on the matter. If you just want to make blanket statements and namecalling...I'm not interested in wasting my time on you.

See you tomorrow.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)