ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

© Jill Furmanovsky
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ABB is a "basic" album, which makes it to the point....From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 4th, 2006 07:05 AM
IanBillen A Bigger Bang is a simple, basic album. No real experimentaion much at all. Songs are not all over the place. Just intro-bridge-chorus. Not hardly ANY keyboards at all. Basically keys are so minimal you don't ever even think of them at al as being any part of the albuml. No back ground singers. Not any session players hardly at all. It is more of a band effort than anything The Stones have done in a long long while.

It is a 16 track focus on the core members and the focus of high powered Rock n Roll. Excellent.

Just hard hitting Stones tunes and it rocks all the way through really.

I like it because it doesn't really "try" anything. It is just a basic rocking Stones album. None of the songs drag out either. Ok maybe SOL. But none of the other 15 drag out at all. They kept that away during production and thankfully. We really needed a basic rock type album from them this time. that is what we have been longing for.
It was delivered.

Ian

January 4th, 2006 07:20 AM
Nellcote I still contend that the same folks whom are slagging Streets Of Love, more than likely think that Fool To Cry is a great number, where the basic structure of each is similar.
January 4th, 2006 07:34 AM
egon the only mistake on the album is the biggest one.

Other than that i like it very much, though think RFD, SOL & infamy will not stand the test of time.

And funny enough, NEOCON has started to grow on me!

January 4th, 2006 07:36 AM
Gazza
quote:
egon wrote:
the only mistake on the album is the biggest one.

each to their own. For me, its one of the best 3 songs on the album and the most 'mature' love song Jagger has written in aeons.
January 4th, 2006 07:46 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I still contend that the same folks whom are slagging Streets Of Love, more than likely think that Fool To Cry is a great number, where the basic structure of each is similar.

Ah, yes, but it doesn't contain the "awful bright, awful smart" lyric, which is ridiculous.

And Gazza, I agree with you on BM, it is quite mature(adult contemporary?) - but surely not written about L'Wren Scott, since i've heard their relationship is based on "no strings attached sex";

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/content_objectid=13220291_method=full_siteid=50143_headline=-MICK-S-FOUND-A-LOIN-TAMER-name_page.html

January 4th, 2006 07:54 AM
BILL PERKS AGAIN & AGAIN..I LIKE THE RECORD VERY MUCH
January 4th, 2006 08:15 AM
Jumacfly I find it unfinished.
plus I miss a real bass player and a real guitarist.
Neocon is growing on me too Egon, despite the lack of another killer guitar on this one
January 4th, 2006 08:46 AM
blackandblue I agree with Ian. It's a straight rock 'n roll album without all the trimmings. Their best effort since Tattoo You without doubt. I agree also with Jumac about the lack of guitar solo's. But the rhythm guitar is excellent. Keith is in great shape.
January 4th, 2006 08:59 AM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
And Gazza, I agree with you on BM, it is quite mature(adult contemporary?) - but surely not written about L'Wren Scott, since i've heard their relationship is based on "no strings attached sex";

I've always got the impression the Stones tend to write about 'composites' more so than about one person. Mick's never struck me as the 'heart on his sleeve' type who's going to bare his soul in a song for everyone to analyse.

If its about anyone, i got the impression it was about Jerry. However, as it has a musical style that is more similar to his 'alfie' soundtrack than the rest of whats on ABB, it could be it was originally intended for that album but not finished in time. So, it could fit with the movie character's more reflective side.
January 4th, 2006 10:29 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I've always got the impression the Stones tend to write about 'composites' more so than about one person. Mick's never struck me as the 'heart on his sleeve' type who's going to bare his soul in a song for everyone to analyse.

If its about anyone, i got the impression it was about Jerry. However, as it has a musical style that is more similar to his 'alfie' soundtrack than the rest of whats on ABB, it could be it was originally intended for that album but not finished in time. So, it could fit with the movie character's more reflective side.

I haven't seen the film, i'll make an effort to soon. Is the soundtrack any good? I reckon you're right about BM being about Jerry. Despite the fact that Mick likes to bullshit IMO about ABB. In the Radio 2 interviews, he reckoned that the accusations that a lot of the songs on ABB were about Jerry was not true "cos that relationship had been over years ago".
January 4th, 2006 10:45 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
egon wrote:
the only mistake on the album is the biggest one.

Other than that i like it very much, though think RFD, SOL & infamy will not stand the test of time.

And funny enough, NEOCON has started to grow on me!

Me too, great chord sequence in chorus.
January 4th, 2006 10:45 AM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
Gazza wrote:
It has a musical style that is more similar to his 'alfie' soundtrack than the rest of whats on ABB.

True. And check the liner notes. Under "Thanks" there is a "Dave Stewart" mentioned. I bet this is the one he helped compose. Thankfully it's Stones on guitar on this one. That's what makes it tolerable. If Dave Stewart had been on it, I would've barfed. After Dave was cool as hell in Eurythmics, he is now the most boring guitarist ever. I always mention him as "The guitarists answer to a leg-amputation with no drugs".
January 4th, 2006 10:46 AM
egon
quote:
Gazza wrote:

each to their own. For me, its one of the best 3 songs on the album and the most 'mature' love song Jagger has written in aeons.

but would you agree it's more a "jagger solo", than a stones song?
January 4th, 2006 10:49 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
egon wrote:

I agree.hopefully we got Keef licks.

I ve re discovered goddess a few weeks ago and it 's not that bad. Good melodies but shitty production with too Clifford ooopss...Keyboards!
the same with the Stones guitars would have been a masterpiece.
January 4th, 2006 10:56 AM
Gazza
quote:
egon wrote:

yes, but then again I think most of the songs on ABB are anyway in their conception, but with a sprinkling of a few Keith trademarks when they recorded them

in some cases (SOL, Mistake, LIND etc) its just more obvious than others (ie, BOMH)

Bottom line is that for the most part it works, and thats what counts
January 4th, 2006 11:04 AM
pdog
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
A Bigger Bang is a simple, basic album. No real experimentaion much at all. Songs are not all over the place. Just intro-bridge-chorus. Not hardly ANY keyboards at all. Basically keys are so minimal you don't ever even think of them at al as being any part of the albuml. No back ground singers. Not any session players hardly at all. It is more of a band effort than anything The Stones have done in a long long while.

It is a 16 track focus on the core members and the focus of high powered Rock n Roll. Excellent.

Just hard hitting Stones tunes and it rocks all the way through really.

I like it because it doesn't really "try" anything. It is just a basic rocking Stones album. None of the songs drag out either. Ok maybe SOL. But none of the other 15 drag out at all. They kept that away during production and thankfully. We really needed a basic rock type album from them this time. that is what we have been longing for.
It was delivered.

Ian

5 months to figure that out... I felt that way during the first 72 hours, thebn realized it was just over excitement...
Take my advice, go buy the new Strokes album, take it home and listen to it as often as possible, unless it makes you physically ill. Then tell us about it...
Another album to try this on is the new Ryan Adams...
I'm suggesting this b/c we need to speed up your music processor in your brain. It's running like a herd of turtles...
January 4th, 2006 11:16 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
pdog wrote:

5 months to figure that out... I felt that way during the first 72 hours, thebn realized it was just over excitement...
Take my advice, go buy the new Strokes album, take it home and listen to it as often as possible, unless it makes you physically ill. Then tell us about it...
I'm suggesting this b/c we need to speed up your music processor in your brain. It's running like a herd of turtles...

Agreed, what sort of musical direction is the Stokes new album heading?
January 4th, 2006 12:04 PM
pdog
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Agreed, what sort of musical direction is the Stokes new album heading?

The single is very interesting. It's got guitar work on it that reminded me of The early DK's style... The song however is not like early DK's, it's got alot of things going on, sounds really good. I just got it last night, so I will try to absorb it more taday. I usually need a few listens to get somewhat of a feel. BUT!!! I won't wait five months either...LOL!
January 4th, 2006 08:49 PM
IanBillen [quote]pdog wrote:

Pdog,

I have commented on this the very day I bought it which was the first day it was out here in the states.

It didn't take me five months, or three days to figure it out. It took me one listen to assess that much.

As I figured you like the album for a while when it was new and then you got bored of it and then it was off to the next new thing....until you get all tickeled about someone eles then you forget all about that band.

My original take on your musical attention span is a reality. It lasts about the life span of your average nat. Then it is off to the next venture.

Pdog, you are here on a Rolling Stones message board and you can't even recognize a good Rolling Stones album for more than three months because you are too focused on the next new thing. You cannot see the forest because of all the trees in the way.

You liked the album three months ago but now it has nothing to offer you....and your trying to give me advice??? For Fucks sake You can't even figure out if you like the album or not.

Take my advice and let the music settle in and breath a little. Focus more on the music instead of the release date.

Ian
January 4th, 2006 08:54 PM
IanBillen [quote]IanBillen wrote:
[quote]pdog wrote:

Pdog,

I have commented on this the very day I bought it which was the first day it was out here in the states.

It didn't take me five months, or three days to figure it out. It took me one listen to assess that much.

As I figured you like the album for a while when it was new and then you got bored of it and then it was off to the next new thing....until you get all tickeled about someone eles then you forget all about that band.

My original take on your musical attention span is a reality. It lasts about the life span of your average nat. Then it is off to the next venture.

Pdog, you are here on a Rolling Stones message board and you can't even recognize a good Rolling Stones album for more than three months because you are too focused on the next new thing. You cannot see the forest because of all the trees in the way.

You liked the album three months ago but now it has nothing to offer you....and your trying to give me advice??? For Fucks sake You can't even figure out if you like the album or not.

Take my advice and let the music settle in and breath a little. Focus more on the music instead of the release date.

Ian

P.S. I think Ryan Adams is over rated.

I have not heard The Strokes new one but someone at school said it was damn good as you have. I'll have to check it out.
January 4th, 2006 08:58 PM
Bob Tamp I've been listening to ABB fairly regularly since it came out, and I have yet to tire of it. This is the first stones studio album since Tattoo that I have enjoyed for so long without tiring of it. It may not be a masterpiece, but I really dig it.
January 4th, 2006 11:36 PM
jb Enough of the bullshit..teyhaven't had a hit in over 2 decades!!!!! My god!!! The album sucks!!!!!!!! Why do we pretend..it ain't good....you all worship the ss...he even gave it a thumbs down if I recall....they are creatively washed up, but still greatest live act...the world's largest minority of fans keep them rlevant , and it is getting harder and harder....No hit in 20 yrs thnk about it..amazing thery are still so monumental...image of substnace..........
January 5th, 2006 12:14 AM
ResidentMule the album's starting to grow on me finally. about a week ago I gave it another shot & then start it from the beginning as soon as it was done (skipping my least favorite 3 tracks both times). its a damn enjoyable album when you cut out the crap. skip Biggest Mistake - it would be great on a Jagger solo but here it just completely kills the vibe, and skip Neocon, because it's terrible. and of course, skip Streets of Love for both of the above reasons (wouldn't even be a decent song for a Mick solo album). the other 13 tracks all have at least something redeeming about them. Rough Justice is a great Stones song, I really wish the mix could do it justice (listen to Charlie's drums on any of the 2002 remasters and as why they can't sound as good in a new album recorded in 2005?)

may not be one of my favorite Stones albums, in fact this one's just above being in my bottom 3. it sounds a lot better after listening to Undercover
January 5th, 2006 01:12 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
A Bigger Bang is a simple, basic album.

Oh its basic alright Ian...

Basically it S U C K S!
January 5th, 2006 01:30 AM
pdog
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Ian

I have not heard The Strokes new one but someone at school said it was damn good as you have. I'll have to check it out.

I don't rate... Including asshole Adams, whose music I like despite the fact every bone in my body hates him.
If my musical love is fleeting, how come I listen to Exile over and over... along with many others... Your posts suck, I'm not trying to hip you to new shit, you're to close minded.
I know I have better taste than you. And i know you're thinknig, what an ass, how can he keep saying that shit. BUT!! I'm not saying it, you say it in your posts, when you talk about music... I'd love to talk about bands and music with you, except your head is up your asshole, so you can't hear... All I've been trying to do is get your head out your ass...
January 5th, 2006 07:05 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
[quote]IanBillen wrote:
[quote]pdog wrote:

Pdog,

Ian

Ian, get back to class!
January 5th, 2006 10:55 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
pdog wrote:

I don't rate... Including asshole Adams, whose music I like despite the fact every bone in my body hates him.
If my musical love is fleeting, how come I listen to Exile over and over... along with many others... Your posts suck, I'm not trying to hip you to new shit, you're to close minded.
I know I have better taste than you. And i know you're thinknig, what an ass, how can he keep saying that shit. BUT!! I'm not saying it, you say it in your posts, when you talk about music... I'd love to talk about bands and music with you, except your head is up your asshole, so you can't hear... All I've been trying to do is get your head out your ass...

You probably do have better taste than him... but you could prove it a bit better by hyping a better band than the STROKES of all people (predictable choice for every faux-purist to praise).
Also, in this day and age, it's a lot easier (and more socially acceptable) to write off the Stones, than to dare to praise them, like Ian does.
January 5th, 2006 11:02 AM
glencar I like this new CD but that still doesn't mean IanBillen isn't pretty stupid.
January 5th, 2006 11:04 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
glencar wrote:
I like this new CD but that still doesn't mean IanBillen isn't pretty stupid.

"True Blue, Ronnie !!"
January 5th, 2006 11:04 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
I like this new CD but that still doesn't mean IanBillen isn't pretty stupid.

C'mon blue, it is a medicre at best album with no meaningful single,,We have not had a major hit since SMU..........pathetic!!!
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)