ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

© Jill Furmanovsky
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Attention: Led Zeppelin detractors Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
December 28th, 2005 06:54 AM
corgi37 How anyone can justify the existance of "In through the out door" is really pushing shit up hill. A diabolical album, dated as all fuck when it was released, and more so now. It is their "Dirty Work" - but doesnt even have the grit. Footage of their tour from the time shows them dressed as idiots too. Even Bonham had a "disco" haircut. Very fluffy.

Other than that, i dont mind their other stuff. I adore Led Zep 2. Presence is pretty good. Physical Graffiti i have always loved. Very sprawling. "In my time of dying" - WOW! Bit sick of "Kashmir" though.

Led Zep 4 - ahh, heard it all too much. Though i adore "when the levee breaks".

Led Zep 3 - er, ok-ish. Obviously, "Since i've been loving you" is the stand out.

Led Zep 1 is good too.

Houses of the holy is utter shit. "Rain song" & "Dancing Days" is about all i can handle.

The "live" album of their over blown crap-fest of a movie is as diabolical as anything. Maybe even single handedly, is helped create the seeds for why people turned to punk.

I can see why they are so revered to all the 16 year olds (and inner 16 year olds), but i find as i get older and bolder, i am getting more bored with their stuff. Mainly, the infantile lyrics to most songs. And, i dont care what anyone says, Jimmy Page is not as good as he thinks he is. Better than me (just), richer (sure) - but he aint fucking THAT good. How can he be? On so many of their songs, there is like 10 tacked on guitar parts! I could be wrong, but "Stairway" has something like 5 different over dubbed guitars. Of course it sounds good! hahaha. One was recorded with the amp in a closet. I read that in a guitar mag a few years ago. And, even with all those over dubs, he stuffs up on one part on the accoustic. It's very minor, but hey, i am a bitch.

I also find many of his solos painfully repetitive. Fast, fast, fast, slow....slow...fast fast fast, faster!

December 28th, 2005 09:16 AM
StickyFishFingers hehe some interesting comments in there mate. gotta disagree with you tho on Houses of the Holy - No quarter is friggin' awesome. I really love the guitar riff in that one.

Zep 1 & 2 are still my Zep albums. I gotta get them out now and have a listen, it's been too many years since i listened to them. I can never remember which of those 2 albums it is until i listen to them but in one of them you can hear Bonzo's base drum pedal squeaking throughout most of the tracks. I think he also drops one of his drum sticks during a track as well. I have a feeling it is the first album coz considering how quickly they recorded that particular album.

Zep 3 has some great moments - Since ive been loving you is brilliant. Love Page's solo on that. Bron-y-aur stomp & Gallow's Pole are also stand outs for me.

I also don't mind listening to Presence these days - hated it when i first bought it tho. Achilles last stand and Nobody's fault but mine are the best tracks on that one.
December 28th, 2005 10:41 AM
Saint Sway Page is riff machine. Second only to Keef Riff Hard.

Bonzo was a beast.

but I CAN'T STAND Plant's voice! To me, its worse than nails on a chalkboard.

which is why I also consider "The Black Crowes & Jimmy Page ~ Live At The Greek" to be far and away better than any Zep show ever that I've ever heard. Chris Robinson singing those songs gave them a much more bloozier and soulful sound. Plus, the band NAILED not only EVERY song, but EVERY nuance within every song.

December 28th, 2005 11:53 AM
MrPleasant I like J. P. Jones.

I like eggs too.
December 28th, 2005 11:55 AM
jb Bottom line, LZ great high-school band....not a band anyone with any "gravitas" would currently listen to.
December 28th, 2005 12:07 PM
Factory Girl jb, why do you prefer Eva L. to Teri Hatcher?
December 28th, 2005 12:52 PM
deuce I can tolerate LZ but only in small doses. Plant's voice doesn't always bother me, but if I listen to more than one album at a time I start to get irritated. Whereas with the Stones, I could listen to the whole discography and not tire of anything (Dirty Work included!)
December 28th, 2005 12:54 PM
sirmoonie In the Evening save In-Out Door. What a sound, what a riff on that tune. Led Zep at its best, and none of the hundreds of Zep imitations ever figured out why.
December 28th, 2005 02:54 PM
Maxlugar Led Zeppelin was a studio band pure and simple.

The sucked live and if anyone out there puts them on the same planet as the Stones they are insane and in need of medical treatment. The Stones, especially with Mick Taylor, absolutely destroyed them live.

Page and Jones were studio rats for years before forming the band and have zero personality for the stage, where it all counts.

Take away all the gizmos and effects and all the other studio trickery and you had a very plain band with an annoying singer. Great drummer though.

So there you have it, you can close this thread now..

Maxy!
December 28th, 2005 03:09 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Led Zeppelin was a studio band pure and simple.

The sucked live and if anyone out there puts them on the same planet as the Stones they are insane and in need of medical treatment. The Stones, especially with Mick Taylor, absolutely destroyed them live.

Page and Jones were studio rats for years before forming the band and have zero personality for the stage, where it all counts.

Yes exactly. With all the overdubs and guitar layering Page did in the studio, it was bound to sound like shit live anyway. That, and the fact that they tended to drag initially over-long songs into ridiculous territory, like the 30-minute Dazed and Confused, 30 minute Moby Dick, etc. I can't believe people are saying they are as good or better than Stones live.
December 28th, 2005 04:13 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

Yes exactly. With all the overdubs and guitar layering Page did in the studio, it was bound to sound like shit live anyway.

another reason why "The Black Crowes & Jimmy Page ~ Live At The Greek" blows away any Zep recording. Page had the Crowes guitarists to cover all his multi-guitar layering. The result is phenomenal.

btw,
congratulations Ihavelotsajam. That is the best board name of all-time.
December 28th, 2005 05:34 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

An abolsutely inane point of view that betrays that the one making the statement has never heard any of the boots that Marko cited. The Stones would be backstage sucking wind by the time Led Zeppelin would be hitting the halfway point in their shows--and that WAS IN THE TAYLOR ERA!!!

800!!

December 28th, 2005 05:50 PM
James Burton I loved Led Zep for years but got pissed off because I would have to book a day off work just to listen to one of their tunes. Still really love Physical Graffiti though, and play it often (during holidays). But aren't drum solos fucking boring. Bonzo rocked in terms of technique and ability, but a 20 minute solo compared to 20 seconds of Charlie Watts.... give me Charlie anytime!!
December 28th, 2005 05:55 PM
voodoopug
quote:
James Burton wrote:
I loved Led Zep for years but got pissed off because I would have to book a day off work just to listen to one of their tunes. Still really love Physical Graffiti though, and play it often (during holidays). But aren't drum solos fucking boring. Bonzo rocked in terms of technique and ability, but a 20 minute solo compared to 20 seconds of Charlie Watts.... give me Charlie anytime!!

December 28th, 2005 06:13 PM
lotsajizz drum solos are just a little too jazz for my rocker tastes

now, drum duets, that's something else

thank you Micky H and Billy K

December 28th, 2005 06:15 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

now, drum duets, that's something else

thank you Micky H and Billy K

how about a drum trifecta?

see: Butch Trucks, Jaimoe and Marc Quinones.
December 28th, 2005 06:24 PM
lotsajizz good query Mr. Sway....I have had the pleasure of the drum trifecta in recent years at Allmans' shows...I always liked Trucks and Jamoie, but that Quinones on percussion was excellent!!
December 28th, 2005 06:24 PM
Some Guy Going to high school in the early eighties, this band was hugely popular amongst all the rednecks at the time.
December 28th, 2005 06:28 PM
Saint Sway much different band now. Still popular w/rednecks and bikers. But very tight and impressive musicianship on stage.
December 28th, 2005 06:34 PM
lotsajizz it was not just cool, but historical seeing the ABB lineup as it was for a while there in the late 80's/early 90's....when Haynes and Betts shared the axe duties, they were exquisite.....I have not seen them (and won't) while they continue to shit on Dickie
December 29th, 2005 01:46 AM
marko Btw,i skip ALLWAYS Moby Dick,its waste of time.
December 29th, 2005 07:18 AM
Factory Girl
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

I've seen Pagey live 3 times, and he is amazing on stage. He has more stage presence than Keith. Jimmy Page w/ the Black Crowes was one of the best concerts that I've ever seen. And, I've seen it all.

I've also seen JP Jones solo, and he is an amazing musician.
December 29th, 2005 07:24 AM
glencar
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Take away all the gizmos and effects and all the other studio trickery and you had a very plain band with an annoying singer. Great drummer though.

So there you have it, you can close this thread now..

Maxy!

Brilliant fucking post, as per usual! Zep was BORING! & it's a shame people didn't relaize it then or now.
December 29th, 2005 09:32 PM
corgi37 Stickyfishfingers - You are right! The squeaking bass pedal is on "Since i've been loving you". It is extremely obvious. And rather charming. However, Page "fixed" it up when he re-mixed all the songs a few years ago. Pity.

I would have to say Led Zep 2 is my fave. ANd, being a contradictary bastard, for exactly the reasons i slagged them. Very well recorded for 1969. I love the cross-fading of stuff, particularly with head phones. But, thats all gimmicky shit. Presence is underrated, i feel. Probably to do with the era it came out. Punk was just rearing its head in U.K. & Europe, though as we know, America just didnt understand punk. 1976 U.S. was disco, and MOR crap. And dont tell me about the Ramones. They were as punk as my Grandmother.

God bless the bitch.
December 29th, 2005 10:13 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Zep Quiz

http://www.allthetests.com/quiz17/quizpu.php?testid=1133581750&katname=
December 29th, 2005 10:14 PM
Egbert
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
And dont tell me about the Ramones. They were as punk as my Grandmother.

Please elaborate
December 30th, 2005 09:25 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
And dont tell me about the Ramones. They were as punk as my Grandmother.

God bless the bitch.

Come on now, they were more talented than those clueless dumbasses that made up the Sex Pistols.
December 30th, 2005 01:51 PM
justforyou
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
those clueless dumbasses that made up the Sex Pistols.

Also a requisite for their success.
[Edited by justforyou]
December 30th, 2005 02:55 PM
highwire Pistols and Ramones were both great bands. I prefer the Pistols. Their two reunion tours were great.
Ramones I would call New York City punk inspired rock n roll but what they had in common with the British punk bands is they all drew on the Eddie Cochran stuff, Something Else, Summertime Blues.

Best punk band out of New York IMHO was Hearbreakers featuring Johnny Thunders. Caught them once when they blew through Toronto in early 80's. Awesome hard core. Real deal.
Like many rock n roll fans I picked up on punk late, which was good because by early 80's you could go to shows without being totally surrounded by mohawks and safety pins and you were safe wearing a Stones T shirt.
December 30th, 2005 04:25 PM
purrcafe
quote:
highwire wrote:

Best punk band out of New York IMHO was Hearbreakers featuring Johnny Thunders.

You are absolutely correct. One of the greatest bands ever. So Alone is one of the greatest songs ever.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)