ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

© Jill Furmanovsky
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lennon thought Jagger copied him Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 27th, 2005 05:46 PM
Ten Thousand Motels LENNON THOUGHT JAGGER COPIED HIM

JOHN LENNON accused ROLLING STONES frontman SIR MICK JAGGER of imitating THE BEATLES during the bands' 1960s heyday in a 'lost' 1970 magazine interview.

The late singer described Jagger as "a joke" in a candid recorded chat with Rolling Stone magazine founder JANN WENNER in December 1970.

Eight months after the Fab Four split, Lennon said, "I'd like to list what we did and what the Stones did two months later on every album. Mick imitates us."
contactmusic

December 27th, 2005 06:37 PM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Eight months after the Fab Four split, Lennon said, "I'd like to list what we did and what the Stones did two months later on every album. Mick imitates us."

Fortunately, the Stones managed to get through June 1970 without splitting up and February 1981 without being shot...

anyway, isnt this a re-hash of the same article that was much discussed a few weeks ago?
December 27th, 2005 06:41 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
anyway, isnt this a re-hash of the same article that was much discussed a few weeks ago?

Yes. And we'll be re-hashing this 100 years from now. It kinda goes with the territory.

(I haven't read this "lost" interview yet though. I don't even know where to find it.)
December 27th, 2005 06:45 PM
Gazza Not a dig against your good self (you're a great source for news stories) - just surprised at contactmusic being a bit slow on the uptake

That interview was published in Rolling Stone in 1970 and was so long it was published in book form shortly afterwards ("Lennon Remembers" by Jann Wenner)
[Edited by Gazza]
December 28th, 2005 07:04 AM
corgi37 I think part of it was also in the 20th anniversay ROLLING STONE book. Great book btw! Amazing article on Kent State.
December 28th, 2005 08:13 AM
gimmekeef Copied?....Wonder what Chuck Berry and the black artists had to say bout Lennon??....Well at least Mick didnt copy John's taste in ugly women...until recently anyway...
December 28th, 2005 09:00 AM
Factory Girl Lennon labeled Jagger a joke, yet Lennon supported Yoko's musical ventures. Yikes...

Nothing else to say.
December 28th, 2005 09:56 AM
egon
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Nothing else to say.

well...;

December 28th, 2005 11:35 AM
z He's just a jealous guy.
December 28th, 2005 11:35 AM
Dick Bush That might be quite true but I really like the choice of words he used. Then again, its John and Keef that really matter.
December 28th, 2005 11:37 AM
MrPleasant It's just the Satanic Majesties album cover speaking. Give John a chance.

BTW: Thanks Dick Bush; I'll have a "boner" because of your signature.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
December 28th, 2005 11:43 AM
Madafaka I heard dead people...
December 28th, 2005 11:57 AM
jb Fucking ass-hole. Really a bitter guy. Still, didn't deserve to be killed by that wacko...
December 28th, 2005 12:04 PM
gimmekeef The guy could get it up for Yoko....doesnt that put it in perspective?...Just an asshole full of himself...
December 28th, 2005 06:05 PM
Soldatti I can't blame him, I think that he was tired of Stones responses (see Satanic Majesties, the white cover of Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed)
December 28th, 2005 09:14 PM
gotdablouse He clearly had a point at the time because of that yes !
December 29th, 2005 05:16 AM
Dick Bush Stones Vs. Beatles - how the clash really worked:

http://www.keithrichards.com/300/95.wmv
December 29th, 2005 07:21 AM
glencar Lennon should be glad Jagger didn't copy his solo stuff. What a loada crap!
December 29th, 2005 10:41 AM
jb Lennon=uncool white guy with no grove...Jagger=cool white guy with the moves.
December 29th, 2005 12:37 PM
Dick Bush
quote:
jb wrote:
Lennon=uncool white guy with no grove...Jagger=cool white guy with the moves.

With the moves?

You mean ass shaking or something?

Peace with you brother, and god's blessings!
December 29th, 2005 12:49 PM
jb
quote:
Dick Bush wrote:

With the moves?

You mean ass shaking or something?

Peace with you brother, and god's blessings!

YOu got it~~~ Salaman alechem!!!
December 29th, 2005 01:31 PM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:
Lennon=uncool white guy with no grove...Jagger=cool white guy with the moves.

Every once in a while, you hit the nail on the head!
December 29th, 2005 06:57 PM
corgi37 He's been hitting alot of nails lately. I for one am very impressed.

Lennon also failed to mention that after the summer of love, when the focus returned to the U.S. west coast scene, and bands like the Doors, Airplane, Dead, Creedance began to exert influence, and of course, the Stones went feral with Beggars Banquet, the FLAB FOUR couldnt drop their candy assed satin pirate suits fast enough.

Suddenly, they werent leading the pack anymore!

OOOOOH, lets grow some facial hair and write "naughty" songs like "Why dont we do it in the road" or "She came in through the bath room window".

I mean, how lame!!! Stray cat blues alone blows ALL their "naughty" stuff out the of the room. All of a sudden, its not "Octpuss fucking garden" or the pathetic "Yellow submarine", but its all cynical "relevant" crap like "Revolution". Its a matter of "We better be tougher, more "earthy". These Liberace out fits aint really cutting it compared to Jim Morrison's leathers or Creedance's swamp boogie. Dont forget folks, in 69-70, Creedance outsold EVERY BODY! Suddenly, the Beatles were not calling the shots. Being too chicken shit to tour didnt help. I might add, the Stones not touring for 3 years didnt help them either. The Beatles were not tapped into the youth culture as much as everyone thinks. The shift to U.S. and the huge shadow of Nam, had diluted the influence of the music hall crap the Beatles were polluting the world with. Except the dweebs and geeks who's idea of rebellion was to wear specs like Lennon. Oh, and popular with mass murderers too! hahaha.

And, Revolution!! Shit, i hate that song. Its so phony. The distortion sounds good, i admit that. But, cant you just imagine George Martin tearing his hair out? I can. I bet he was itching to add strings and a brass section! hahahaha.

But, people fell for it.

But, people are renowned idiots.

As in a Stones book by Phillip Luce which i pinched from school, a review of the time of Beggars went like some thing like this:
"The Beatles dont know where they are anymore. Yet, the Stones have found their place and are building".

The guy was so right! Look at the next 3 albums.
December 29th, 2005 07:06 PM
glencar Speaking of "nails on the head"! BTW "Flab Four"? LOL
December 29th, 2005 07:51 PM
yellerstang The biggest reason I always like the Stones over the Beatles was how their women affected the bands.

Stones women never could break up the band. And those chicks were way hotter, too.

Christ, only a bunch of p*ssies would let chicks break up the most popular band ever.
December 29th, 2005 07:55 PM
jb Corgi is, as usual, 100% correct. I , as usual, I'm drinking a fine bottle of Northern Italian wine.
December 29th, 2005 08:05 PM
glencar Love that Italian stuff, doncha?
December 29th, 2005 08:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I can't blame him, I think that he was tired of Stones responses (see Satanic Majesties, the white cover of Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed)

beggars Banquet came out about 2 weeks or so after the White album - plus the cover the Stones used wasnt the one they wanted to use (their album had been delayed by a couple of months), so only someone with Lennon's paranoia and insecurity could seriously think the Stones were copying them on that one

and let It Bleed was released 4 months BEFORE Let It Be came out
December 29th, 2005 08:38 PM
glencar Does Macca ever comment on Lennon's paranoia?
December 30th, 2005 12:47 AM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:

Fortunately, the Stones managed to get through June 1970 without splitting up and February 1981 without being shot...

Ian
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)